Benq W1070 fan rattle fix. Well, really 2 fixes.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By kev249
  • 1 Post By kev249
  • 1 Post By kev249
  • 2 Post By kev249
  • 1 Post By kev249

post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Benq W1070 fan rattle fix. Well, really 2 fixes..

I don't post often but I do come here for answers. I figured I'd share some info that may help somebody else.

The issue is a rattling fan in a Benq w1070. The projector was only used outside for the first year and a half and stayed in its box when not in use. It only had about 20 hours tops.

I recently mounted the projector inside the house and it looks fantastic. After about the 140hr mark it started to make a rattling noise after it had been on for a while. I couldn't really hear it during loud scenes but as soon as it got quiet it was like I was sitting under an old movie projector.

I soon found that a replacement fan on Amazon was about $68 and could take several weeks to get. The only other suppliers were in China with 30 day shipping and at least $40 with shipping not to mention the unknown reputations of the sellers. I started to look for a replacement with the same specs when I realized the I should really look at replacing the bearings in the fan. The fan is spec'd out with 2 shielded ball bearings.

I took the w1070 apart to get the fan out and then disassembled the fan to measure the bearings to order the replacements.

If you are not aware, the fans are only held together by a tiny "c" clip on the end of the shaft. Remove the round sticker on the fan housing to reveal the clip and one of the bearings. There is a small preload spring on the shaft to keep an eye on.

To disassemble, put the fan inside a clear plastic bag and use 2 small picks to pry the clip off. The plastic bag keeps the clip from flying off and being lost forever.

The bearings measured 8mm tall, 4mm wide, and 3mm bore. There are 2 of them in the fan and they are a light press fit and are easily removed. There are no marking on the bearings.

If you look on eBay, you can get them for about 10 to 15 dollars for ten of them including free shipping.. AND it only takes a couple days to get them.

I reassembled the fan but before I did I stretched the preload spring a very small amount. Remember a little goes a long way on that spring. I reinstalled the fan and buttoned up the projector while I wait for the bearings. The projector was mounted back on the ceiling and reconnected. To my surprise, the rattle sound Is gone, without the new bearings.

I did not take any photos of the disassembly but I will when the new bearings get here.

The bearing size I listed above is for the fan in the front of the projector next to the lens. I have not checked the other fans but I can't see why the same fix wouldn't work for them the same way. Try it and if it doesn't work, you needed to take the fan apart anyway to measure the bearing to order new ones.
Marc Yu and at0mx like this.

Last edited by kev249; 04-13-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update to is fan fix. It's been a month and a half since the fix and there is still no rattling noise. I have not replacement the bearing yet, I have them but since the fan isn't making any noise there's no need to mess with it at this time.

I've tried to answer the pm's that I received about the fan fix but the forum says my post count is to low to send pm's. I'll try and fix that and reply soon.
Marc Yu likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Thanks. Mine rattles sometimes, but rarely. I built a hushbox which I leave open for the most part since I don't find the volume high anyway. I should probably close it but it's impossible to adjust the focus and zoom effectively with the hushbox closed. It's a good projector, great even, for the price, but there are lots of little annoyances with it too.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I've got over 400 hrs on the projector since taking the fan apart and so far so good. No noise other than the four fans blowing air. My rattle was so loud I could hear it in in the next room. The bearings are dirt cheap, they are the same size as a popular r/c car wheel bearing. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same size in the other fans in the projector but I have not checked that. You can run the unit with the top off and put a screw driver handle to your ear and the screwdriver tip unto the housing of thee running fans to determine which fan is making the noise. You'll no it when you hear it.
Marc Yu likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So what you did was just simply assemble the fan with a stretch on the clip, not even changing the bearing? Which indicate the rattle is coming from the clip? I want to try it but fear I might mess up the fan and render the projector not usable. Has anyone else tried this fix and got good result?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
So what you did was just simply assemble the fan with a stretch on the clip, not even changing the bearing? Which indicate the rattle is coming from the clip? I want to try it but fear I might mess up the fan and render the projector not usable. Has anyone else tried this fix and got good result?
Well, yes and no.. I did take the fan apart and reassemble it. But I don think it was the clip. The clip is tight, it's all the holds the fan blade in. What I made sure I did was mark the bearings when I took them out. Then, upon reassembly, I made sure the bearings were flipped over from their original position. That way any of the thrust forces on the bearing will be reversed. I added a slight amount of spring pressure by stretching it. That's it.

The projector is super easy to take apart. There are no surprises when you open it up. It's really well engineered and was a pleasure to work on. All you're going to be concerned about is pulling the fan out then put the projector aside while you work on the fan.
Marc Yu and at0mx like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Another update to the bearing issue.

Today my original bulb with 6006 trouble free hours blew up. Luckily I had already purchased a spare bare bulb. I decided to replace the fan bearings while I had the projector down for cleaning the glass and dust from the the inside.

I would recommend that if your projector is mounted upside down when the bulb bursts, leave it upside down as you take it down so as not to dump the glass fragments into the rest of the projector. It's pretty easy to remove the cover and bulb housing while still keeping it upside down. After you get the majority of the glass out then flip it over and get the rest out.

Anyway, I removed the the original bearings and replaced them with the new ones I got off of eBay. The measurements that I listed above worked perfectly. The only issue was with the sticker that covers the clip holding the fan in. It would no longer stick. A piece of packing tape cut in a circle did the trick.

Now the payoff.....
The projector is now super quite. I can't believe how loud the original bearings were. Wayyyyyyy quieter than before. I can't believe I thought the sound was 'ok' before. I got used the fan noise. My projector is about 4' away from my head so the difference is readily apparent.

So, in summary, if you have loud fan noise just change the bearings. I wish I had done it in the beginning when I got the bearings last year.

(I just realized we put 5500 hrs on the projector in the last year... Probably 1/3 of that being Xbox.)
Marc Yu likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick Comment:
I'm assuming the bearings for this fan are non-flanged. I've been looking them up on ebay.

Also, the way to measure bearings is iDxoDxW (InnerxOuterxWidth)

So, assuming the measurements you stated are correct, they should be 3mmX8mmX4mm.

I'm going to be ordering some from eBay, and wanted to make sure this was accurate.

Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev249 View Post
I don't post often but I do come here for answers. I figured I'd share some info that may help somebody else.

The issue is a rattling fan in a Benq w1070. The projector was only used outside for the first year and a half and stayed in its box when not in use. It only had about 20 hours tops.

I recently mounted the projector inside the house and it looks fantastic. After about the 140hr mark it started to make a rattling noise after it had been on for a while. I couldn't really hear it during loud scenes but as soon as it got quiet it was like I was sitting under an old movie projector.

I soon found that a replacement fan on Amazon was about $68 and could take several weeks to get. The only other suppliers were in China with 30 day shipping and at least $40 with shipping not to mention the unknown reputations of the sellers. I started to look for a replacement with the same specs when I realized the I should really look at replacing the bearings in the fan. The fan is spec'd out with 2 shielded ball bearings.

I took the w1070 apart to get the fan out and then disassembled the fan to measure the bearings to order the replacements.

If you are not aware, the fans are only held together by a tiny "c" clip on the end of the shaft. Remove the round sticker on the fan housing to reveal the clip and one of the bearings. There is a small preload spring on the shaft to keep an eye on.

To disassemble, put the fan inside a clear plastic bag and use 2 small picks to pry the clip off. The plastic bag keeps the clip from flying off and being lost forever.

The bearings measured 8mm tall, 4mm wide, and 3mm bore. There are 2 of them in the fan and they are a light press fit and are easily removed. There are no marking on the bearings.

If you look on eBay, you can get them for about 10 to 15 dollars for ten of them including free shipping.. AND it only takes a couple days to get them.

I reassembled the fan but before I did I stretched the preload spring a very small amount. Remember a little goes a long way on that spring. I reinstalled the fan and buttoned up the projector while I wait for the bearings. The projector was mounted back on the ceiling and reconnected. To my surprise, the rattle sound Is gone, without the new bearings.

I did not take any photos of the disassembly but I will when the new bearings get here.

The bearing size I listed above is for the fan in the front of the projector next to the lens. I have not checked the other fans but I can't see why the same fix wouldn't work for them the same way. Try it and if it doesn't work, you needed to take the fan apart anyway to measure the bearing to order new ones.
Hi Kev249

I've tried unsuccessfully to find replacement bearings specifically for benq projectors on ebay and the web in general. Could you please let me know your search criteria?
My projector is a ht1085st.

Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 10-05-2016, 01:52 AM

Liked: 0
Hi!

That is my first post here. I have BENQ W1070+ for almost 2 years. Few days ago I heard a really annoying sound which appears from time to time. I recorded a video

Insterenting is that noise can disappear (sometimes for a few hours) when I slightly hit the projector.

Did you guys have issue like that?

Greetings from Warsaw, Poland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq w1070 fan noise
Gear in this thread