Projector selection help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector selection help

I'm building a new home theater as a I recently moved. My previous house had a pt-as 7000u on a 118" Canada screen. I had veyr little negative to say about the set up other than the general lack of brightness when viewing 3D content. For the new house I've considered on a ~17' ft throw and 120" screen: Epson 5030ub, panny PT-8000u, and the Sony VPL-HW40ES. I Play games so I've all but written off the epson. what are everyone's thoughts on the pt-ae8000u vs the Sony VPL-HW40ES? The Sony doesn't come stock "listed" with as many lumens as my old pt-ae7000u so that had me wondering how their performances would compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think the Sony is the one to go with. The lack of any lag for games is great. The bulb is pretty damn bright too and it has 4 settings for the brightness you want for your 3D viewing. I'm about 11-12 feet from my 106" screen and i only use the 2 setting just for the boost to the colours. Plus you can go on Amazon.com and buy 4 pairs of the PS3 glasses for like $25 ($10 at Best Buy stores in Canada a pair) They aren't the comfiest of the glasses sometimes but they work, are rechargeable and again cheap as hell. The Sony just went on sale today or yesterday and i think is worth the extra cash over the Panasonic. Plus the projector produces a great picture right out of the box that i really haven't had to tinker around with to fix anything.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
Old 05-18-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 521
The Sony is arguably the best projector under $3,000 on the market. It's on sale for $2,000 right now, and it puts out about 1,200 calibrated lumens while the Panasonic AE8000 puts out about 700-800 calibrated lumens. The Sony will be significantly brighter and should make you very happy.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the advice. Went with the Sony. It was on sale on Amazon for $1875 and with my Amazon card it's not a bad deal. Now to figure out how to wire everything and make it look halfway decent.

Gear in this thread - AE8000 by PriceGrabber.com