Looking for a cheap "baby cartoons" projector and a method to stream to it - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a cheap "baby cartoons" projector and a method to stream to it

Hi everyone, it's been almost 3 years to the day since I logged in last (5/19/2012 at 12:35 AM).

I am looking for a projector and I don't know much about them. I'd like to eventually have a nice one for my HT room, but for this need it's just about being able to project cartoons and movies on the ceiling for our baby who loves movies and TV.

I am open to other alternatives too.

She'd be watching on her back a lot (in her bassinet and later her crib), she is only 3 months old.

I would like to leverage my Xfinity X1 and a DVD player. Having a computer laptop hookup would be a bonus.

Another thing I'd like to be able to somehow link those devices wirelessly as we don't have cable jacks where the baby is in my home office nor our bedroom. I'd like to avoid re-cabling as I am dealing with concrete block on those walls.

Thanks
Å
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Wireless sharing options won't work with the DVD player and will only do specific things with the computer depending which is used, and actual wireless hdmi is at least ~$200 though it can be added onto any projector and still used in the future.
Wired would still be better for any possible future projection while you may also have a very cheap AND effective workaround for the baby+ceiling..would putting shows onto a memory stick (USB flash-drive) be an option?

There are several LED projector options that fit the scenario because of their friendliness for casual use and ability to simply be set on the floor and aimed right up at the ceiling. Almost all LED projectors can play video right from a standard USB flash-drive OR wireless hdmi.

If USB isn't a good option, about how far will the projector end up being from the source/player, and will it have open sightlines between the two or will walls/closed doors be between the player and the projector?
Many wireless adapters have a somewhat limited range and some require line-of-sight.

A simple led projector with plenty of brightness for playing cartoons on a ceiling should expect about $350-450. That's with a 720p resolution...they become slightly cheaper ($200-350) for 360p-480p resolution.
If you don't think it'll get much/any use from yourselves later (as more than a very small child's entertainment device), especially if it'll be used in a somewhat darkened room, the cheaper lower-resolution options would probably make more sense.

Be warned that many of these small projectors have more noticeable fan-noise which will sound like a loud computer (or especially a loud laptop) fan.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 477
...or a bit more for the LG PF1500 which can stream from Netflix and play back natively from USB drives various video formats. It's a $1,000 projector, but theoretically could last until the kid is 10 years old, or longer.

With the PF1500 in low power level, there will be virtually zero noise from the projector. Like a decent laptop whirring in the background noise. The speaker sucks, but would work for a setup of this type.
Ftoast likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 274
^^^Not only all that, but it's portability+very solid picture quality means you would have no problem moving it between baby and familyroom/theatre for your own diabolical purposes. ...you know, or movie night. That works too.

The extra money not only gets a quieter running and more convenient plus versatile projector, but also one with full 1080p and picture quality to make it MUCH more than a toy.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG PF1500 will last a long long time but it also has too much Lag.
So the Baby won't be able to play Call of Duty in her crib.
She'll be like "mommy, please get me a Sony VPL-HW40ES"

Just Joking. LOL.

Seriously, the LG PF1500 seems like it would fit the bill.
Although I'm a little confused as to how you would mount it ?
Maybe on the wall behind the headboard ?

When we had a baby. We would just put him in front of the TV in a baby seat.
I think I recall. by the time he was a year an a half we could not keep him in his crib anymore.
So your set up won't last long
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Although I'm a little confused as to how you would mount it ?
Even though it is kind of a non-standard discussion, I actually was thinking the same thing.

Because the PF1500 has a standard tripod mount, I would likely mount it to a tripod. You can then use keystone correction to adjust the image to square no matter which way it is aimed. The PF1500 having four corner keystone correction will make squaring it up a breeze, and using the tripod mount means it can be kept away from the crib or play area safely, then easily moved to a new area and adjusted accordingly.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page