weird issue with lamp timer panasonic pt-vw440 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy weird issue with lamp timer panasonic pt-vw440

we have 2x pt-vw440u in our auditorium, and one of them has a lamp run timer that's going crazy...

it says it has 18943 hours on it.... which is crazy (the other one is below 800 hours i think)

i took a screenshot of the status window for the web interface for it one at 9:25pm, and the lamp had 18852 hours on it, and again at 9:56pm the same night saying it has 18,943 hours on it.... so it's obviously messed up

it wouldn't bother me so much if we could manually reset it, but it seems that's not an option on this model...

also, to make matters worse, it shuts itself off after 10 minutes, i don't know why, i guess in attempt to protect itself?

any ideas on what to do here? i'd really hate to have to replace a bulb that has so few true hours on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 9.25.26 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	728050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 9.56.31 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	728058  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Very odd, I doubt it but if this unit is capable of firmware upgrades check if there is a new firmware. Otherwise, just go off of the projector runtime and make a note that the lamp needs replaced after runtime+lamp life hours.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aae42 View Post
we have 2x pt-vuw440u in our auditorium, and one of them has a lamp run timer that's going crazy...

it says it has 18943 hours on it.... which is crazy (the other one is below 800 hours i think)

i took a screenshot of the status window for the web interface for it one at 9:25pm, and the lamp had 18852 hours on it, and again at 9:56pm the same night saying it has 18,943 hours on it.... so it's obviously messed up

it wouldn't bother me so much if we could manually reset it, but it seems that's not an option on this model...

also, to make matters worse, it shuts itself off after 10 minutes, i don't know why, i guess in attempt to protect itself?

any ideas on what to do here? i'd really hate to have to replace a bulb that has so few true hours on it
According to the manual it states that the timer resets whenever the lamp is replaced with a new one. How it manages to detect the lamp is new is a mystery at least to me. So what I would do is follow the instructions for replacement of the lamp but re-insert the old lamp and see if it resets the timer.

There is obviously something wrong with the firmware and could be repaired at a dealer. Is it beyond the 2 year warranty?

Otherwise the PT-VUW440U could be replaced with the newer PT-VZ570U.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panas...rojector/33754

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post
Very odd, I doubt it but if this unit is capable of firmware upgrades check if there is a new firmware. Otherwise, just go off of the projector runtime and make a note that the lamp needs replaced after runtime+lamp life hours.
and we would be fine with doing this if the thing wouldn't go into auto shutdown after 10 minutes...

i'm not sure if the firmware is update-able, but i was planning on looking into it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
According to the manual it states that the timer resets whenever the lamp is replaced with a new one. How it manages to detect the lamp is new is a mystery at least to me. So what I would do is follow the instructions for replacement of the lamp but re-insert the old lamp and see if it resets the timer.

There is obviously something wrong with the firmware and could be repaired at a dealer. Is it beyond the 2 year warranty?

Otherwise the PT-VUW440U could be replaced with the newer PT-VZ570U.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panas...rojector/33754
i noticed this as well, i'm assuming there is a chip or some type of firmware on the lamp assembly itself... i was going to try exactly what you suggested, taking it out and putting it back in again in the hopes that it will re-seat and fix...

we were also going to try swapping the lamp with the other projector to see if the problems persist on that one...

just feels really crappy to replace a lamp with so few hours on it for what amounts to a programming error

sadly i believe this unit will be JUST out of the warranty.... we may still contact panasonic though, because this is ridiculous...

EDIT: if we were to replace the unit, it would probably be with the pt-vw530u, but i'm wholly unwilling to spend nearly $3000 (to make sure we match) for an issue this stupid

Last edited by aae42; 05-22-2015 at 04:09 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They could be using an RFID chip, I've seen those used in printer cartridges, if so there should be a visible chip enclosure on the lamp. However, more than likely it's a simple microswitch that gets toggled when you pull the lamp out and add a new one back in.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

just wanted to update this thread with the resolution... i send the unit in to panasonic service and they had it back to me within 5 days...

they updated the firmware and it fixed the issue.... it's non-user upgradable firmware...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page