projector choice question - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By steve1106
post #1 of 9 Unread Today, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
projector choice question

hello. I am in the process of adding a projector to an already finished basement. One negative to the basement is that the drop ceiling is only 6ft 9in from the floor, i know less than ideal. I however really want to add a projector. I am planning on doing a 92" fixed screen. In regards to throw distance i can really go anywhere. What i would like to do is mount the projector from drop ceiling as close to my limit as possible to avoid it sticking out like a sore thumb. I have been throwing around 3 options for my projector choice. Given my screen size, ceiling height, and how close i would like to mount projector, whats my best option give the projectors i have chosen below?

choices:

epson home cinema 3000
epson home cinema 2030
benq ht1075

thanks for any and all inout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Unread Today, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I would go here and plug in the projector to see the throw distances for each projector http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...calculator.cfm . Why only 92inches?
post #3 of 9 Unread Today, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

The throw distance is not really my concern. i am only doing 92 due to the ceiling height, i dont want the image to be gigantic
post #4 of 9 Unread Today, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
The throw distance is not really my concern. i am only doing 92 due to the ceiling height, i dont want the image to be gigantic
Sorry, I was thinking about the projector hanging down in front of your seating in order to provide a 92 inch image with an entry level projector.

For the record, I bought a 92 inch screen when I first started and replaced my 70 inch TV, but quickly jumped to 120 then 150 then 169 inches. While I still have the screen, I now only use it for Halloween ghosts.
kreeturez likes this.
post #5 of 9 Unread Today, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

i think i may step up to a 100 inch screen. However, does anyone have any thoughts on my original question?

thanks
post #6 of 9 Unread Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 278
The Epson 2000/2030 will have to be mounted the lowest and a few inches below the top of the screen. It also has the lowest actual measured contrast at around 300:1, but it has the cheapest replacement lamps at $99.

The Epson 3000 and Benq w1075 both have Significantly better actual measured contrast around 1500:1 and both can be mounted above the screen rather than needing a pole hanging down.
The 3000 can be about 4inches above the 92" screen and the w1075 can be about 6inches above the 92" screen or both can be a few inches lower if needed.

The 3000 has the highest brightness and placement flexibility, but your ceiling mount and screen-size won't be using either.

The w1075 has less visible pixel-gaps, better motion-handling, less input-lag, and cleaner 3D..but that won't matter much unless you'll be gaming or sitting fairly close.

The w1070 does cost quite a bit less, and its real-world lamp-life is very good.
The Benq would be my first choice with the 3000 a close second.
The Epson 2000/2030 would be a distant fourth place..there are better 3rd-place options.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #7 of 9 Unread Today, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

ftoast, thank you so much for the input. I think at this point with the deal from frys i think the benq 1075 is my best option by far.

thanks guys
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
ftoast, thank you so much for the input. I think at this point with the deal from frys i think the benq 1075 is my best option by far.

thanks guys
I'm using an HC3000 right now. It's an excellent projector. Very bright with great color, plus its lens shift makes your setup easy.
However, I'm on the same page with Ftoast. If you can make the ht1075 (or the w1070) work for you, that's what you should go for. Why? Because it's sharper, is better for games, and is cheaper. The hc3000's small advantage in brightness is a non-issue at 92 inches. No point in spending more than you have to.
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Red face

thanks ben38, appreciate the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page