Projector Selection overload----DANGER DANGER!!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Projector Selection overload----DANGER DANGER!!!

Soooo, there's is simply too many choices for me out there. Can you guys give me 5 or so projectors to focus my research on?
In the past I had a Sony BRAVIA APL-AW15....http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...A_VPL-AW15.htm

It was a 720p lcd, I used it on a 106" screen and was 100% happy with it. I left it in the house we moved from, and the next house had no theater space. In our current house I have an extra bedroom.

I will have an AT screen, up to 120". From wall to wall is 13'6", so max throw is that minus the projector body and 3 or 4" for the screen. Room is 100% light controlled, is painted a very dark brown with a black screen wall and dark carpet/ceiling.

Will be used for 70% movies 20% sports and the occasional tv show. Source will be Blu Ray player, DirecTv receiver, and streaming Netflix through the Sony Blu Ray player....all ran through a Pioneer Elite receiver.

I will never watch anything in 3D; built in wifi would be nice for firmware updates but couldn't care less about "SmartTV app"; don't care about the remote; don't need any 12V triggers. I prefer Plasma over LCD for our TVs although I have a new LED 40" in the bedroom that seems fine.

I don't care that it has 0.0003% more contrast on paper than the next projector, or that it looks better with test patterns, or that the specs say it should do XXX....I don't watch test results or owners manuals, I watch movies so I'm much more concerned with real world (no offense spec nerds)

I figure my real limitations will be:

-Short throw distance
-I will be sitting more or less directly under the projector, so high noise could be distracting
-$.....the max I want to spend is for a Sony HW40ES (about $1700 right now). If I can get 90% of the performance for under $1000 though, I may sway that way. This will be used about 1.5-2 years when we will move again (move often with work)

Thanks for any advice to help me narrow down my choices!

The TRUTH in your theater is determined by your EYES and EARS. Not how many specifications you can rattle off. Not in how much money your last piece of equipment cost. Not in your post count. The longer I'm here the better I understand why you all have to ask your wife for permission on what you're allowed to place in YOUR house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHurt View Post
Soooo, there's is simply too many choices for me out there. Can you guys give me 5 or so projectors to focus my research on?
In the past I had a Sony BRAVIA APL-AW15....http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...A_VPL-AW15.htm

It was a 720p lcd, I used it on a 106" screen and was 100% happy with it. I left it in the house we moved from, and the next house had no theater space. In our current house I have an extra bedroom.

I will have an AT screen, up to 120". From wall to wall is 13'6", so max throw is that minus the projector body and 3 or 4" for the screen. Room is 100% light controlled, is painted a very dark brown with a black screen wall and dark carpet/ceiling.

Will be used for 70% movies 20% sports and the occasional tv show. Source will be Blu Ray player, DirecTv receiver, and streaming Netflix through the Sony Blu Ray player....all ran through a Pioneer Elite receiver.

I will never watch anything in 3D; built in wifi would be nice for firmware updates but couldn't care less about "SmartTV app"; don't care about the remote; don't need any 12V triggers. I prefer Plasma over LCD for our TVs although I have a new LED 40" in the bedroom that seems fine.

I don't care that it has 0.0003% more contrast on paper than the next projector, or that it looks better with test patterns, or that the specs say it should do XXX....I don't watch test results or owners manuals, I watch movies so I'm much more concerned with real world (no offense spec nerds)

I figure my real limitations will be:

-Short throw distance
-I will be sitting more or less directly under the projector, so high noise could be distracting
-$.....the max I want to spend is for a Sony HW40ES (about $1700 right now). If I can get 90% of the performance for under $1000 though, I may sway that way. This will be used about 1.5-2 years when we will move again (move often with work)

Thanks for any advice to help me narrow down my choices!
The Sony will not fill a 120" screen from the 11' of throw you will have. It needs 2' of depth because its intake is on the rear and case is huge.

Best audio will mean staying a few feet away from the rear wall, so your seating distance will be about 10' and you won't want to go smaller than 120" from there if you viewing is mostly movies. Maybe even bump up to 130" or 135".

The W1070 can fill 110" - 144" screen size from the 12' throw it would have. It would be 5' behind and above you, and in smart-eco mode is really pretty quiet. I sit 2' from mine.

If you prefer plasma to LCD in flat panels then the screen door effect of LCD projectors might drive you nuts, and that means no Epsons or Panasonics. The Optomas require too much throw, so they are out -- except the GT1080 but it has very inaccurate color.

I don't think there ARE 5 projectors that fit your room/screen size desires that have accurate color.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Old 06-01-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Your best choices should be the Benq w1070/1075, Panasonic ae8000, Epson 5025, and Sony hw40.
As dreamer said, everything besides the Benq will require a smaller screen around 100"-110". If that is alright with you, the Sony will be the quietest, with the brightest accurate picture and good motion-handling.
The Panasonic should be the best bargain price for this level of performance, and the Epson should be somewhere between the two.

The BenQ won't have the deepest blacks of those other three, but it can still hold its own in every other image quality department and its blacks in your dedicated room should look very similar to those of a professional theatre. It will also allow a larger image along with longer typical lamp-life and cheaper lamps..so it can be a great choice for everyday viewing.

If the smaller screen is fine, choosing something like the Sony will go farther for showing that room's full potential.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

THanks for the responses guys. As far as going 130"+, can't imaging anything over 120 being comfortable. I taped out the 120 on the wall prior to painting and shot a cheap business projector on it a few days. Anything larger gets way too close to the floor and requires moving your head right and left to watch the movie. Maybe if you're a front of the commercial movie theater type guy?

So I guess now the question is, is the Sony enough better than the BenQ for 10-15" less screen? I'm assuming this is an "order both send back the one you don't like" situation.

The TRUTH in your theater is determined by your EYES and EARS. Not how many specifications you can rattle off. Not in how much money your last piece of equipment cost. Not in your post count. The longer I'm here the better I understand why you all have to ask your wife for permission on what you're allowed to place in YOUR house.

Last edited by JeffHurt; 06-02-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 303
If that room will be painted in dark colors (including the ceiling), and can be kept dark during movies (less important during sports or television), the Sony hw40 will have a very visible contrast and black-level advantage over the BenQ. If the $2000 price-tag isn't an issue, I'd definitely recommend the Sony under those conditions.

If the price is too high or the room will stay too light or light-colored, the w1070/1075 will make more sense as a tougher room will have both looking pretty similar..despite the large cost difference.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 149
How high is that mock taped off screen above the floor? Personally I would lower it a bit if you can unless you are going to have second row seating. Normal seated eye height is what? About 36 inches or so? I'd want my eye to be at the top of the bottom third of the screen or slightly higher. Your mileage may vary.

And if you can get the throw and screen size squared away I think the 40ES is a awesome projector.
Ftoast likes this.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes the room will be all dark brown flat finish with the sceen wall being flat black. Bottom of the tape in that pic measures 24" from the ground. No 2nd row room, it's just a spare bedroom so I don't have much room.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHurt View Post
Yes the room will be all dark brown flat finish with the sceen wall being flat black. Bottom of the tape in that pic measures 24" from the ground. No 2nd row room, it's just a spare bedroom so I don't have much room.
For a 120" screen, the bottom of the image should be 16" off the floor. For 130", 14" off the floor, 140" should be 12" off the floor. That is actual image are, so the frame would be lower.

I sit 10' from my 122" screen currently and do not have to move my head from side to side. In fact, I will soon be moving to a screen that is 2' wider in 2.40:1 format and will be only 9.5' away. The caveat is that I will be using CIH so when watching 16:9 content it will only be a 112" image within the 144" 2.40:1 screen. I generally sit about two rows back from the beginning of the middle section in theaters. I paced it off once and sitting slightly less than one screen width back is my preferred moviegoing seat.

Testing out a "cheap business projector" may have misled you. Having a quality 1080P image to look at lets you move much closer.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

We will have to disagree on that. It doesn't matter the quality, your field of vision is your field of vision. If someone walks in front of you, there is a certain point they leave your eye sight and you must turn your head (or move your eyes) to follow them. Sure, they'll still be in your peripheral but to see any detail you must look that way. It doesn't matter if they are more or less refined.