Sony HS10 Ceiling Mount - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 103 Old 01-08-2003, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Al, I had emailed her the other day, and got no reply, so I will just assume she can't help me.

Thanks for your help though,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 01-08-2003, 05:38 PM

I called AVMall today to order the PJC-173 mount and was told they are on backorder. They should receive them in about 14 days.
post #93 of 103 Old 02-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
chunkotron,
Bumped this up so you could find the thread.
Al
post #94 of 103 Old 02-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
chunkotron,
If you need another view of the mount, let me know, and I will post them.
Al
post #95 of 103 Old 03-27-2003, 08:05 PM

Here's my homemade version.
post #96 of 103 Old 03-27-2003, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

post #97 of 103 Old 03-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just did the initial install of my HS10 last weekend using the Chief Mount RPA-2131. Very nice quality. Came with the standard set of screws and fasteners and also a set of "security" fasteners that use a special hex wrench to install/tighten/loosen.

My biggest disappointment is that after I did all the measurements to get the mounting flange plus home built drop tube (black ABS 1.5" NPT piping) centered and installed, the RPA mount is OFFSET by about 1/4" :( I looked again at the material and never saw the specification that it is not centered.

The 2131 does use 3 screws on all four "sides" of the dual mounting system. This allows you to adjust up and down and side tilt. I found that if you just get the screws just loose enough, then light tapping will do micro moves and then you can dial it in fairly easily.

My dilemma now is do I move the ceiling mount over about 1/4" to 1/2" to get exact centering, or live with a little twist adjustment? How close to perfect do you need to be to cause no visible distortions??

Cheers,
dagger
post #98 of 103 Old 03-28-2003, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How close to perfect do you need to be to cause no visible distortions??
dead on, but the projector is easily adjusted in the menus to compensate for anything not dead on without a loss in picture quality, from what I've observed..
post #99 of 103 Old 03-28-2003, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daggerNC
... do I move the ceiling mount over about 1/4" to 1/2" to get exact centering, or live with a little twist adjustment? ...
dagger,

Obviously the aim would be to have it bang on, but I would challenge you to even notice any difference in the picture between bang on and 1/4 to 1/2" off.

Don't stress. There are some who would think within 2" is close enough and be happy.

If you can't see anything wrong and are happy with the resultant image, I'd say leave it as it is. :)
post #100 of 103 Old 04-05-2003, 06:35 PM
MJP

Bobcat, thanks for the mount design. It's cheap and it works.

I copied yours - but switched your flat stock for 1" aluminum L (angle iron) piece. Also if you go with slightly longer bolts and some nuts you can have some minor tilt control. The other thing I did was turn it all around because I mounted mine in a walk-in closet and project through a cut-out in the wall (like a cinema). It sure cuts down on the fan noise.

Stayed up til 2am last night to get the whole thing finished (including my do-it-yourself frame with DaLite HCCV). Saved a bundle thanks to Jason here at AVS selling me the fabric.

Between both of these do it yourself ideas I saved enough to pay for my new leather reclining sofa. Now I just have to wait for the high def Tivo to come out.

So I'm sitting here watching the Final Four in High Def and all my buddies here want one :) I'll have to do a security check when they leave.

And while I'm at it thanks to everyone else here on the AVS forums for all the great information and ideas.
post #101 of 103 Old 04-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the Chief mount as I wanted something universal and with the Chief for my next PJ all I need is the mount plate. It is very nicely built ... and it has had a torture test. It is one strong beast. My daughter jumped up from the couch in the middle of a movie to go fetch some pop... she jumped over the coffee table (teenagers :D) and bumped her head on the HS10. It was quite a collision. She was quite OK but a little surprised once she figured out what had happened. Dad (me) nearly had a stroke. I thought she was going to get quite a lump (if not a concussion) but she must have quite a hard skull (thick headed like me :) )... And the PJ never moved as much as a hair.

EDIT:

Forgot to say that all I bought from Chief was the mount plate and the "Knuckle" that has all of the adjustments. The plate that mounts to the ceiling and the down pipe I got from a plumbing supply store for all of about $10 total.
post #102 of 103 Old 04-07-2003, 02:24 PM

I ordered a PSS-610 a few weeks ago. I had trouble finding anywhere that had one in stock, but eventually tracked one down for the bargain price of £250.

When it arrived I couldn't believe it - you'd think it would retail for more like £25. Another surprise was that it was painted gloss white, not black like in the photos. The part number on the box was PSS-610W, so the 'W' suffix must designate the colour.

The paint wasn't finished all that well - it had a lot of pimples in it and a red mark that wouldn't come off (which was why I sent it back).

If you get one, be careful handling the tubes - I picked one up in it's wrapping, and it slid out onto the floor, making a significant dent in it (the floor).

However, unlike some mounts shown here, it looks quite smart and would look quite acceptable on your living room ceiling - if you don't mind the ludicrous price.
post #103 of 103 Old 04-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

It may be out of place here, but I've got a spare Chief mount for a Sony HS10. RPA-985. Complete, never used. I changed my mind and bought a Sanyo PLV-70 PJ. Found out that the adapter plate for the PLV-70 alone was 70% of the cost of an entire mount! So... I got another entire mount for the Sanyo and have the RPA-985 available. If anyone is interested, email me.
Gordon
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page