Sony HS10 Ceiling Mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there have been posts on the subject (including the FAQ), but I am looking for comments from people concerning the various mounts (Sony PSS-610, Chief and Peerless mounts) for this projector. Outside of the price differences, is one better than the others? Why? I have not seen a discussion comparing the mounts (other than price).

I have to mount on a sloped ceiling. Is there one that is better for this?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 01:42 PM

I'm hoping to use dirt-cheap mount designed for large speaker. Rated at 30 lbs, wouldnt work with crt but may be ok with the ~10 lb hs10. Will use it only if it looks sufficiently strong tho, dunna need a PJ crash! It does have a safety wire tho. Will require some mucking with to get it mounted to hs10. Builty found a nice one in Oz, I found similar in us, will look-up link again if you want.
post #3 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 06:49 PM

For an inexpensive method of mounting an HS10, check this out:

http://www.luciancarnival.com/upgrade_HS10b.htm
post #4 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Just be careful you don't block the holes on the bottom because the HS10 sucks its air in through the bottom... not the other side of the PJ like it first looks it might. I bought a Chief mount (fairly pricey however) because I liked the security it offers (keyed screws) and it is pretty universal (next PJ all I need is the base plate). It is VERY adjustable and you can take the unit down without losing the setting. I am sure the Peerless is similar. I did make my own extension tubes and ceiling plate but the actual mount I wanted pro-grade.
post #5 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by seplant
For an inexpensive method of mounting an HS10, check this out:

Now that's about the best looking homemade solution I've seen yet! I think I'm going to go down the same path. Looks nice, sounds easy to do and the price is unbeatable.
post #6 of 103 Old 12-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seplant
I wonder how that guy got all his cable threaded through that teeny tiny hole???
post #7 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

blitzkreig:

It's a 1" hole. I simply sent each cable through one at a time. :D :D

I had a member form the Hometheaterforum build me a set of new component cables (25') which I should be receiving and installing tonight. The cables that I'm current using are two pair of cheap Monster stereo audio cables (6m) I picked up from Circuit City.

It will be very interesting to see if I can see any improvement in video once I swap them.

Michael
post #8 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with Peerless. They will have a mount designed specifically for the HS10 around mid-January at a price point similar to their SNY1 (about $160). Don't know anything else about it -- just reporting what they said.
post #9 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 02:25 PM

I'm in the process of making my own mount and have a question for those that have made their own. Does the plate that attaches to the projector need to be flush against the bottom of the projector, or does it need to span the front and back "legs" of the projector leaving a gap between the plate and the bottom of the projector?

My guess is that it needs to be flush.
post #10 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 03:27 PM

Michael-- where did you pickup that mount? Also, how far is the drop from the ceiling to the center of the lens?
post #11 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just spoke with Peerless. They will have a mount designed specifically for the HS10 around mid-January at a price point similar to their SNY1 (about $160). Don't know anything else about it -- just reporting what they said.
Hmmm...I read on this forum that the SNY1 worked perfectly with the HS10, which is why I ordered one. In fact, I seem to remember that one of the first HS10 users actually has this mount in service. Is anyone using this mount with an HS10?
post #12 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

John:

the mount name on my web page is a hyperlink which leads you to where I got it.

the center of the lens is 11" from the ceiling.

Michael
post #13 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 05:30 PM

I couldn't believe Sony was asking $300 for a small piece of metal, so I made my own ceiling mount using an adjustable Bose speaker I picked up for about $50. (Actually that's the price for a pair, so now I guess I need to set up another projector in another room!) I measured the spacing for the mounting holes and put matching holes into a small stainless steel cookie pan to serve as an adapter between the Bose mounts and the PJ. Basically the ceiling bracket screws into the cookie pan and the cookie pan screws into the projector. My ceiling is kind of like drywall so then I used those metal expanding drywall screws to secure the bracket to the ceiling. Seems pretty secure--or at least I hope so since the projector is directly over one of the viewer's heads! Only problem with the mount is that it adjusts in discrete intervals so its hard to get it lined up exactly perfectly with the screen. Saved a pile of $$$, though!
post #14 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

seplant,

I checked out your Home Theater at your link:

Very cool!! First, congratulations on your beautiful installation and your most impressive audio equipment list! I have a quick question, you indicated you were projecting onto a 100" wall but that you could use a 72" screen. Which do you prefer? Why? What is your comfortable seating distance from the 100" image? Did the higher quality of a screen vs. the wall impact the image very much?
Thanks!
Gordon
post #15 of 103 Old 12-20-2002, 11:26 PM

Well, sometimes there is a scale problem when buying on the internet...

The cheapo mount I baught is a little smaller than I thought, as is apparent from the 3" square box the two mounts came in... well, they'll be great for the side-surrounds!

I hope the cheasy screen i'm planning works out better...

Quote:
Originally posted by newtbert
I'm hoping to use dirt-cheap mount designed for large speaker. Rated at 30 lbs, wouldnt work with crt but may be ok with the ~10 lb hs10. Will use it only if it looks sufficiently strong tho, dunna need a PJ crash! It does have a safety wire tho. Will require some mucking with to get it mounted to hs10. Builty found a nice one in Oz, I found similar in us, will look-up link again if you want.
post #16 of 103 Old 12-24-2002, 11:32 PM

I mounted my new HS10 today using the Peerless SNY1, and can report that this mount does *not* fit the HS10 without modification. The triangle pattern of mounting screws is reversed between the VW10HT family and the HS10. On the HS10, there is one screw in front and two in the rear; on the others, there are two screws in front, one in the rear. The triangles are the exact same dimensions, just inverted. After some head-scratching, I made a pattern and drilled new holes in the mounting plate, and it works okay. It would fit better with the front corners of the mounting plate cut off, as these are riding on the projector foot.

Mounting the SNY1 plate as-is on the HS10 would make the release mechanism work backwards -- you'd have to push back rather than pull to release the projector from the base unit. More importantly, though, it would partially cover the air intake on the bottom of the projector.

Having said all that, I'm happy with the mount. The price was right (at least compared to the other non-DIY mounts out there), and the re-drilling only took a few minutes with a drill press.

--Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by EricT43
Hmmm...I read on this forum that the SNY1 worked perfectly with the HS10, which is why I ordered one. In fact, I seem to remember that one of the first HS10 users actually has this mount in service. Is anyone using this mount with an HS10?
post #17 of 103 Old 12-25-2002, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JoeMoon, thanks for the report. I was wondering if the mount would be obstructing the cooling vents or not. Someone hear stated that Peerless was coming out with a mount in January to fit the HS10 perfectly. If not I guess I'll have to get the drill out. :rolleyes: By the way how do you like your new toy?

Regards,
Anthony :cool:

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #18 of 103 Old 12-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
im using peerless ceiling mount on my HS10 ... it fits perfectly .. got it for $130, it was made for Sony 10ht and 11ht as described in the store that I got it from.. I guess all sony pj use the same mounting technique

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
post #19 of 103 Old 12-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

letMeIn-
Have you had any cooling problems (ie, projector shutting off) with the plate supposedly partially covering the intake on the bottom? I have a Peerless coming in a few days and would like to know if it will be OK as-is or if I will need to drill it like JoeMoon did.
post #20 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

I have no idea what the guy above talks about. I has SNY-1 peerless ceiling mount and it does NOT NOT cover any Vents unless he talks about 9 small holes in a group next to the filter, which 3 of them are still open with the mount .. ????? are U talking about that ?? If so those holes look too small to do any major Air venting.

The mount fits PERFECTLY with the HS10 . I did not have to do any adjustments ... Just screw it on to the PJ and it fits like a glove .. No problems here

post #21 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 07:29 AM

I'll take another look at my mount when I get home today. I wasn't worried about that group of small holes. Either I have a different mount than letMeIn (I ordered the PJRL-SNY1 from avmall), or I'm completely misunderstanding how the thing is supposed to work. I'll report back this evening.
post #22 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered PJC-SNY1 from avmall ... however mine differs from the picture on avmall site .. Mine is just a 7"x6.5" rectangle, and it fits perfectly and does not cover any vents .. very good mount ..

after I installed it I was little affraid that those 3 screws that you use to attach the mount to PJ would not hold the HS10 ..... I hope they are strong enough to do the job .. So far so good ......

post #23 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 03:38 PM

Hey letMeIn --
I've taken a close look at my adapter plate and the assembly diagrams, and it looks to me like my plate was inverted before the tabs were stamped. I've attached a picture, showing the factory holes and my drilled ones. Note the small triangle at the top of the picture, which is supposed to indicate the front, but no center hole. Does this make sense to you?
--Joe
LL
post #24 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 05:36 PM

Oops, went to avmall to look. PJRL-SNY1 and PJC-SNY1 are quite different beasts. And looking again at the diagrams, I think my original assessment was right -- the mounting hole triangle on the 10HT is reversed from that of the HS10. So the PJC-SNY1 (luckily) fits backward on the HS10. The PJRL model doesn't without the extra drilling.
post #25 of 103 Old 12-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

yep we have different mounts

post #26 of 103 Old 12-27-2002, 08:12 PM

What do I need other than the PJC-SNY1? Do I also need

http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/A...7/product.html

and

http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/A...Y/product.html

?

For those using peerless mounts, how far below the ceiling is the center of the lens?

Thanks,

Mark
post #27 of 103 Old 12-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Yes, the PJC-SNY1 attaches to a 1.5" threaded pipe, so you'll need the pipe and a way to attach that pipe to the ceiling. A cheap (<$10) way to do this is to go to your local hardware store and buy a 1.5" floor flange and a 1.5" threaded pipe nipple of the desired length from the plumbing dept. They can be spray-painted to the right color.

Quote:
Originally posted by msink
What do I need other than the PJC-SNY1? Do I also need

http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/A...7/product.html

and

http://www.avmall.com/kore/catalog/A...Y/product.html

?

For those using peerless mounts, how far below the ceiling is the center of the lens?

Thanks,

Mark
post #28 of 103 Old 12-28-2002, 12:59 AM
wlo

What is the size of the screws/bolts for HS10 ? Where can I buy them ?

Thanks.
post #29 of 103 Old 12-28-2002, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

I think the screws are M5's, do a search and you'll know for sure.

Has anybody painted their mount white? I was thinking of doing this with my Peerless mount when I get it to try to make it blend in better.
post #30 of 103 Old 12-29-2002, 11:48 PM

FYI, I bought the Peerless **swivel mount** SNY1 from AVMall. I added a ceiling mount flange and a short nipple (pipe) from Home Depot - both 1.5 inch, total cost about $5. Once the flange and nipple were on the ceiling I took the SNY1 out of the box, attached it to the PJ with the screws included with the SNY1, and had the thing mounted to the ceiling in about 3 minutes. I bought the one with the swivel - ball in socket - works great! I had started down the DIY path but after chasing a bunch of messy hardware options I ditched the whole 9 yards and bought the Peerless. No regrets.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page