AVS Forum banner

BenQ W3000 1080P DC3 DLP projector

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  jamieuk147 
#1 · (Edited)
Good news for those waiting for a new model at BenQ behold, the manufacturer announced for 2015, the W3000, DLP full HD features a DC3 DMD chip 0.65 inches and a color wheel 6 RGBRGB segments. ISFccc certified with frame interpolation, MHL compatible HDMI jack. It is equipped with an optical of a 1.6 zoom ratio.
Its contrast is announced at 10,000: 1 with a brightness of 2000 lumens.
Estimated price € 1,499
Available late 2015 early 2016.

https://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F774-benq-w3000%2F

#3 ·
This seems like a competitor to the Optoma HD50, which really doesn't make a ton of sense as a product either.

BenQ, while I have a ton of love for them, really should be hitting the $1,500 price point with a product that exceeds the AE8000 from Panasonic. Perhaps this will come close, but if it ends up being in the price of the HW40ES or the 5030, then it likely won't go far. Especially if they don't keep fan noise down and lag time for gaming.

I look forward to seeing what this model delivers.

#4 ·
Getting FI and a 1.6 zoom lens hardly seems worth 3x the price of the W1070. Even if it had full vertical and horizontal lens shift and was quiet as a mouse, I wouldn't pay 3x the W1070.

Reactions: Ftoast
#5 ·
Getting FI and a 1.6 zoom lens hardly seems worth 3x the price of the W1070.
These two (FI and 1.6 zoom) are already in W1400 (and W1500), at price a bit over 1000 euros. So there must be something special about this W3000?
With a couple hundreds more you can get a Sony HW40 with much better specs. Is the pricing right, it seems very weird...?

#8 ·
If its static contrast actually measures at 10000:1 that would be a huge improvement, but I highly doubt it. I've been waiting for a replacement to my w1070 but for 3 grand unless this has an incredible measured contrast, higher than the equivalent Sony or Epson around the same price come fall, I think it's too little (or rather, too expensive), too late.

Especially in an era where P3 color space support and HDR are coming into play. I expect at least a couple P3 compatible HDCP 2.2 compatible projectors this fall, possibly for 3k or thereabouts. (if they actually want to sell some merchandise).

It's a hard sell to sell me the same .65 DC3 DMD, twice in a row, with less lumens, for 4x the price and call it an upgrade. I can do frame interpolation on a 1080p projector just fine on my PC. Maybe if they supported P3 and had a really good native CR, plus HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 inputs (regardless of being 1080p), so I can plug in a UHD Bluray player and use it to get max image quality out of it. If it's got bt.709 only, it will indeed be a tough sell I think. It should be an interesting fall. But I have a hard time believing in 1080p projectors for 3 grand in 2015. 2016 is probably going to be 4k period. I can't seriously imagine that home theater aficionados are going to bother upgrading their projectors to something that can't even plug into a UHD Bluray player, let alone reproduce it reasonably well compared to a TV that costs the same or even much less.

If the projector market doesn't start selling 4K projectors for a reasonable price soon, rollable OLED wall sized panels coming out in the next couple years are going to eat their lunch and stuff them in their own locker.

#13 · (Edited)
Doesn't the aging 6500/7000/7500 already offer equal or better lens-shift and zoom for the same price...with the addition of a physical dynamic iris?
Is this a same-price downgrade?

How does this compare to the hw40 which it is priced against?

#14 ·
This projector does seem to include a VESA 3D sync port. So RF 3D should be possible which is a first among BenQ projectors, afaik. With RD 3D, frame interpolation, RGBRGB color wheel, high brightness and low input lag (presumably) this should be a great projector for 3D. But only tests will tell.

Still no 1080p60 in 3D, though.

#16 ·
#18 ·
It occupies the same nowhere land as the Optoma hd50/161; priced up where it should compete against the hw40 and 5030, but it can't.

It's a w1070/1075 without its gaming speed or Vivitek 1186/1188 with more out-of-the-box accuracy...except it adds a tiny bit of horizontal lens-shift and costs twice as much.

Besides the horizontal lens-shift, it hasn't added anything except a huge price increase. :(
This amount of lens-shift doesn't really add anything beyond what a good mount can do by itself.
I still don't understand what they were thinking with this kind of MSRP and no iris.

If they cut the price in half it could be a good competitor with the new Vivitek.

#20 ·
I had the w1070 and found it noisy. The eco mode is 30dB.

Yawn!!!

#21 ·
On the positive note, it has 6-speed color wheel, an improvement over the w1070 but typical contrast for this entry level DLP projector. Zoom is 1.6, not 1.3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.