Should I bother with a 1080p projector? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Should I bother with a 1080p projector?

This is my current HT set up

Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 HT Receiver
Denon BDP 1611-UD Bluray Player
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player
Direct TV HD Genie
Samsung UN55F9000 55"UHD TV
Altec Lancing A-7 Voice Of The Theaters
Polk Audio CS-100 Center
Advent Marble 2 Ways (2 Pair)
HSU 15" Subwoofer

I have always pushed the financial envelope as far as getting the best with what little money I make. My intention is to go with a UHD Bluray player and I want to upgrade the SC-05 to a new model that can pass 1080p 3D, has HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 and Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. I would like to end up with a 4K/UHD projector and a 120" - 160" screen with 100" being the absolute minimum I would accept. I have $1K saved up and I keep thinking to myself if I should pick up a semi budget 1080p 3D projector or not. Started thinking about this about two weeks ago and have not pulled the trigger on it. If I get the projector there goes the cash for a UHD Blu-ray player then I have to save up all over again. That would also push back the date to get ether a Onkyo or Marantz receiver to replace the SC-05 that can not even pass 1080p 3D, it can do 1080p but just not 3D.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Optom...rojector/33757

Under $599 after it is in the cart and free shipping!

I keep thinking about what it would be like to have a large projection screen but for the first time I have never second guessed myself and had trouble pulling the trigger on a purchase. Also since I really want to go UHD the scarry part is having pathetic finances and the cost of a 4K/UHD projector! I really do not want to buy more than one UHD projector and am thinking the laser projectors would be the best bet. But then again how long will it take for 4K/UHD laser projectors to come down in price where the average person can afford them? And still have a number of other upgrades to do like upgrading my old Polk CS-100 center speaker and the rear channel speakers.

If purchased it would be my first projector!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I'm pretty confident you will be enjoying that projector long before you will be able to afford, based on what it sounds like you're willing to spend, a 4k projector. I would jump in, go to the DIY screen forum to figure out what you want to do for a screen and enjoy the awesomeness of a massive projected image. It was a true eye opener for me when I took the plunge to get a projector. You will never go back.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Yeah, I'm not sure I get it.

UHD projectors are years away at the way things are going right now and progress which is being made. So, buying a UHD BD player, which may be 2-3 years down the road, and putting money into it when UHD is nearly useless at the sizes currently available, makes little sense.

If you want quality, right now, then buying a W1070 for $650, right now, from B&H Photo makes a ton of sense.

Building, or buying a 120" screen from Silver Ticket or Elite Screens from Amazon makes a ton of sense.

You have the budget for it now, and can enjoy it now. There is very little about UHD which is exciting at this point due to the limited availability in the front projection world, and the ridiculously small displays in the flat panel world.

Why not start enjoying full HD 1080p projection next weekend with the equipment you currently have, and enjoy it like heck for the next 4-5 years while all the BS UHD drama gets figured out instead of being an early adopter and spending what may be far to much cash? Your money, but as said above - once you start enjoying good 1080p content, you will never go back.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You have 1k saved? That might get you an UHD player this year.... Might. Then you have to drop probably 50 bucks for movies you've already seen to watch on a 55 in screen that is going to require you to sit dang close to see the resolution difference.

I'd drop the 4k stuff for a year and a half.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I agree with everyone else forget 4k for at least a few years. If your room supports a projector (you can controll ambient and reflected light) then a projector is a must for a decient room. Put your money into upgrading the reciever first, at least Atmos is doable now with more releases supporting it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.35:1 to 2.50:1, Denon 1912 AVR, 7.1 with Ohm mains, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP