PT-AT6000E or 5030UB or HW40ES in NZ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question PT-AT6000E or 5030UB or HW40ES in NZ

Greetings all,

Please help me decide my first Home Theater projector, what would you do if you were me? I am in New Zealand and we have very limited, small audio/video shops locally to consider any sort of demonstration on specific models and the prices here can be a fair bit dearer when comparing respective conversion costs between NZ and America.

The 3 models I have narrowed down to are: the Panasonic PT-AT6000E (AE8000) which retails here for approx US$3350, and can get on special for US$1950, the Epson 5030UB RRP is US$3350, special US$2700, and Sony VPL-HW40ES RRP is US$2700 and basically never seems to have a special, and apparently will even be increasing price soon by 15%

I have read a ton of reviews/opinions on all 3 projectors and they all sound pretty awesome with each having a few cons, which I'm concerned about noise, convergence issues, SDE, dust blobs, grey blacks, high latency, rainbows etc. Hence with no realistic way to be able to physically see each one in action it is pretty hard to narrow it down further. Ideally if I had a bigger budget I think I would just choose the Sony but I was hoping to spend less than US$2000 on a projector, and would only go over if it was definitely worth the extra dollars.

It would be installed in my lounge which has cream walls/carpet, dark blockout curtains, is 15 feet long by 8.4 feet wide, and I was contemplating a 92" or 96" or max 100" diagonal motorized screen to fit in front of the wall mounted plasma. The projector would be mounted approx 13.5ft back from the screen, and we would sit anywhere between 8.5ft to 13.5ft back from the screen. My initial thoughts are to just use at night time for Blu-ray movies and PS3 gaming and the Plasma for daytime/general viewing.

I am very keen to jump into this big screen extravaganza asap or maybe it would be wiser to wait until the end of the year in case of newer refreshed models from the various manufacturers and then re-evaluate?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated from a Kiwi down-under

Last edited by tanknz; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tanknz,

Per my experience, Sony 40ES is first choice, Panny 6000 second and Epson 5030ub third. I have the Sony 40ES for a month already. Its color, clarity and screen smoothness are what I like. I had the Epson 5030UBe about 2 weeks before I bought the Sony. The black level is better than the Sony, because it has auto iris. But it is noisier. The wireless function was not working on my unit, so returned for refunded. I put Panny at 2nd choice, because I have Panny 2000 which has a lot of treating functions and screen size memories. I still love this old projector (only 1000 hrs usage on it). The Panny 6000 is the latest (most likely the last) model. Sale price is about us$1600. The Editor choice of Yr 2015 by Projector Central. This is the one for the price.
I suggest you to buy your projector from USA on line. It is much cheaper that you buy locally. Check the sale price in this website or Projector People or VisualApex if you have not yet. Happy searching.
I have a 120 inches diagonal (1.4 gain) Carada screen. The Sony 40ES is mounted on ceiling about 14 and a half feet from screen. Your room should be long enough to have 120 inches diagonal screen setup like mine. Don't go smaller screen than this size.
Good luck.
Kwok Lau
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input Kwok Lau.

I have quite large front standing speakers and from my initial measurements for my width room I think it will barely fit a 100" diagonal screen, but I intend to buy the projector first and then confirm which screen size can fit properly.

I had looked into buying overseas but with the NZ dollar recently plummeting against the US$, and then high freight cost and also exuberant local import fees/tax/GST to be added on top, and then if warranty issues and have to send back etc....sigh, it ends up not really saving much. Although it probably would have been more ideal earlier on the year when the NZ dollar was really strong, but now I think I will need to just buy locally.
post #4 of 8 Old Today, 01:49 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknz View Post
Thanks for your input Kwok Lau.

I have quite large front standing speakers and from my initial measurements for my width room I think it will barely fit a 100" diagonal screen, but I intend to buy the projector first and then confirm which screen size can fit properly.

I had looked into buying overseas but with the NZ dollar recently plummeting against the US$, and then high freight cost and also exuberant local import fees/tax/GST to be added on top, and then if warranty issues and have to send back etc....sigh, it ends up not really saving much. Although it probably would have been more ideal earlier on the year when the NZ dollar was really strong, but now I think I will need to just buy locally.
Hi Tank,

I'm also in NZ and have been looking at projectors in that same price area...

I'm currently leaning towards the Epson TW-8200 (Which is the 5030UB's NZ version I think?) I've only compared up against the Optoma HD-91 and a considerably more expensive JVC (Not sure of model)

I've seen it for $4,500 which compared pretty well to US pricing.

Briefly why:
It's in quite a few stores in NZ (I've seen it in both Wellington and Christchurch)
Colours seems very natural to me
Image looked very smooth compare to other projectors to my eyes (zero "grainyness")
Very flexible throw ratio (I might be moving in a year or so, so wanted to be able to use in a different room maybe)

Downsides:
I could definitely hear the fan noise in quiet bits of movies. It wasn't too bad, but its not exactly silent.

Where abouts in NZ are you?
post #5 of 8 Old Today, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Being your first projector, I think you'll be happy with whatever your choice is, unless you are very picky.

I recently bought the Panasonic 6000, and it's a great projector, I'm very happy with it. It's not perfect, I wish the black level was a tiny bit better, but with a 128" 2.35 screen I made last week, the only reaction I got when I showed a movie to some guests was the sound of their jaws hitting the floor, and my room isn't even optimized.
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Shull View Post
Hi Tank,

I'm also in NZ and have been looking at projectors in that same price area...

I'm currently leaning towards the Epson TW-8200 (Which is the 5030UB's NZ version I think?) I've only compared up against the Optoma HD-91 and a considerably more expensive JVC (Not sure of model)

I've seen it for $4,500 which compared pretty well to US pricing.

Briefly why:
It's in quite a few stores in NZ (I've seen it in both Wellington and Christchurch)
Colours seems very natural to me
Image looked very smooth compare to other projectors to my eyes (zero "grainyness")
Very flexible throw ratio (I might be moving in a year or so, so wanted to be able to use in a different room maybe)

Downsides:
I could definitely hear the fan noise in quiet bits of movies. It wasn't too bad, but its not exactly silent.

Where abouts in NZ are you?
>Super Shull, I'm in Auckland.
I think our Epson EH-TW9200 is the 5030UB and the only differences I could figure out was that it had some THX/ISF modes?
Some negative comments about the Epson are: noisy fan, noisy iris, screen door effect, possibility of dust blobs, which seem quite major and sorta puts me off the Epson. Plus the Epson 5030UB came out in Oct 2013 so I presume its next replacement updated model should be coming out Oct/Nov this year? Or maybe they will follow Panasonic's lead and not update again this year lol
If you can, try and check out the Sony 40ES at NZ$3999 to $4299 if you are looking around that price range.
Yeah the Panasonic is looking very tempting especially at NZ$2899 at a couple of local places, but it just annoys me that it is a 2012 model, is it really still good value and competitive to all the rest. I won't be able to upgrade the projector again(wife), so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Last edited by tanknz; Today at 04:13 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 05:33 AM

Folks, I heard (from sell agent) that Panny is going away from Home projector market. The 6000E ( AE8000u - US model) is Yr. 2012 model. That's why the price is so low. However, don't base on the year of production. AT the present promotional price (US$1600 in USA). it is a great choice with so many settings and lens memory. The Epson's fan and auto iris noise would be issue if you have a small room and the projector is mounted above seating area. You have consider this seriously. The Sony 40ES looks great, out of the box without any calibration. The presets are reliable. But its price is higher than the Epson and Panny. If your budget is allowable, Sony is your purchase and need no look back aftewards. I highly recommend Sony 40ES.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:42 AM

Tanknz, you can get a drop down screen and hide the hugh speaker behind it. In my opinion, 120 inches diagonal (16:9; 1:4 gain) is the smallest size to view movie projection from 15 feet, in light controlled room. Otherwise, you will be itchy to enlarge your screen quickly. I recommend you to buy Sony 40ES even the price is higher. Just plug and play with the presets. Save the time and effort to enjoy movie, not treating. You will not regret.
Kwok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page