Sony VPL-HW40ES For Tough Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony VPL-HW40ES For Tough Room

I want to use this projector for a room that has some tough challenges.

It has a gable ceiling and the room is a rectangular shape and there's around 22 feet between the two walls where the pulldown screen and projector are mounted.

My hope for the Wife Acceptance Factor and just general aesthetics would be something like a shelf mount for the projector as opposed to a drop mount from the ceiling. Will this present any cooling issues?

Between the couch and the screen will be around 19 feet.

I was thinking around 135" screen with the projector mounted close to 20 feet.

Is that pushing the limits?

According to the Projector Calculator, I'm getting right around 20 feet as the limit. Is there much room beyond that?

I'm debating between 120" vs 135", but with the distance of the projector I'm almost thinking I will have to go 135" at least.

Any input would be appreciated. I previously had done an amateur theater room myself but I still feel pretty new at this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 78
As long as you give it the required space as mentioned in the owners manual for shelf mounting you should be fine.

I would go 135". My HW40 is ~17' back lighting a 153" screen....plenty bright so it should be ok with a 135" from 20'. The biggest issue would be unwanted light, just make sure you have no direct light entering the room or it will really be washed out during daytime viewing. Ambient light is ok, it has enough lumens to handle that.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 524
20' lens to screen and you can get an image diagonal between 127" and 202" with the HW40ES. That rules out the 120" screen.

So, you go 127" or larger on the diagonal, and I would definitely go at least 135" or even larger with your seating distance.

The manual roll down screen sucks, but if that's what the budget affords then roll with it. (get it?)

You won't have cooling issues as long as you aren't blocking the vents. I have a Sony inside a soffit and it has been behaving well. Only open on the front.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP