Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 upgrade or not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-12-2015, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 upgrade or not?

I currently own an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 linked below:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...inema_1080.htm

The projector is now telling me to replace mu bulb again. This will be my fourth bulb for it.
I have been wanting to get a 1080 projector that was 3D as well.

I am curious if anyone else who owns/owned the same projector has upgraded and what projector you went to.

I am torn between just getting a new bulb or putting the $250-$300 towards a new projector.

Thanks

Last edited by BladeZX; Yesterday at 03:01 PM.
BladeZX is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZX View Post
I currently own an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 liked below:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...inema_1080.htm

The projector is now telling me to replace mu bulb again. This will be my fourth bulb for it.
I have been wanting to get a 1080 projector that was 3D as well.

I am curious if anyone else who owns/owned the same projector has upgraded and what projector you went to.

I am torn between just getting a new bulb or putting the $250-$300 towards a new projector.

Thanks
I have the Epson 1080UB projector (since 2008) and still love it. I am on my third bulb. While the second one is an original Epson bulb, I bought the third bulb on amazon from a third party seller for $44. It works just as well as the original. Cannot complain. Just make sure you keep the filter vacuumed and clean. I love the projector and am going to hold on to it until 4K projectors come down in price. I have seen a friend's BenQ 3D projector and while 3D is nice, it is not that great. Gives me a little headache.
bommai is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Four bulbs is quite a bit of mileage on an LCD projector. Given how inexpensive 1080p projectors (LCD and DLP) are these days, I would go with a new one, but that's me.
rnatalli is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
... I bought the third bulb on amazon from a third party seller for $44. It works just as well as the original. ...
Cheap, third party lamps are a gamble. Some work, some don't. Those who win the gamble are happy while those who lose aren't.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have also been looking at the Epson 2030 as well as the Benq W1070

My Home Cinema 1080 has served me very well.
I may buy a new bulb and do some cleaning on the machine and give it a go.
I would really like to watch some 3D HSBS mkvs in my theater room though
BladeZX is online now  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZX View Post
I have also been looking at the Epson 2030 as well as the Benq W1070

My Home Cinema 1080 has served me very well.
I may buy a new bulb and do some cleaning on the machine and give it a go.
I would really like to watch some 3D HSBS mkvs in my theater room though
I owned the 2030 before I upgraded to the Epson 5025ub. I thought the 2030 was awesome until I got the 5025. The overall picture quality of the 5025 spanks the 2030. It was for sure worth the upgrade . I'm telling you, if you step your upgrade up to a higher end model you won't be disappointed.
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-13-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The Epson 5025UB does look sweet. The black levels look very very good.
I heard in a review that video gaming lags. Is this true?
I will be using an Xbox 360, Xbox One and PS4 on the projector.
BladeZX is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
steve1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern, Va
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdjnugz View Post
I owned the 2030 before I upgraded to the Epson 5025ub. I thought the 2030 was awesome until I got the 5025. The overall picture quality of the 5025 spanks the 2030. It was for sure worth the upgrade . I'm telling you, if you step your upgrade up to a higher end model you won't be disappointed.
As an owner of two of the HC2000s, my only fear is that if I get the HC5025 while the image might be better, is it $1150 better than what I paid for my second HC2000 when you look at how I use it. Ours is a TV. I turn it on and forget about it on the weekend using it for music and high and low def shows. It is small and out of the way....but, we also do a lot of movies as a family and the HC5025ub would be nice for movie afternoons or nights. So it comes down to this, I can basically get three of the HC2000s for the price of the HC5025 and when you factor in the lamp cost which is $99 for the HC2000, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger and go to a two projector setup with one for all day use and the other for movies. I have close to 3300 hours on the lamp on my main HC2000 and I couldn't tell any real difference between the image from it and my HC2000 with about 8 hours on it.

Please explain in some detail the spank quote. I really want you to sell me on the HC5025.
steve1106 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
As an owner of two of the HC2000s, my only fear is that if I get the HC5025 while the image might be better, is it $1150 better than what I paid for my second HC2000 when you look at how I use it. Ours is a TV. I turn it on and forget about it on the weekend using it for music and high and low def shows. It is small and out of the way....but, we also do a lot of movies as a family and the HC5025ub would be nice for movie afternoons or nights. So it comes down to this, I can basically get three of the HC2000s for the price of the HC5025 and when you factor in the lamp cost which is $99 for the HC2000, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger and go to a two projector setup with one for all day use and the other for movies. I have close to 3300 hours on the lamp on my main HC2000 and I couldn't tell any real difference between the image from it and my HC2000 with about 8 hours on it.

Please explain in some detail the spank quote. I really want you to sell me on the HC5025.
I think the biggest differences between the two models is the blacks and contrast. It really does make a big difference in picture quality. The 2030 has a slightly higher contrast ratio compared to the 2000. My blacks went from grey to actual black. The family and I watched Wall-E when we first got the 5025 and were amazed at the detail that we didn't experience with the 2030. My wife and I couldn't stop commenting on things we never noticed in the picture with the 2030. When I first installed the 5025 I could also immediately tell the sharpness was on a different level. The test pattern I used to align the projector looked completely different. The lines weren't as blurry I guess you could say. Also you can adjust the panel alignment with the 5025 which can help with sharpness. The 5025 also has frame interpolation and super resolution in 2D and 3D. I usually use the frame resolution on low, it helps the motion look better but doesn't give the image the soap opera effect.
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You also mentioned that you use your projector as your main viewing source. In all honesty, I do think the 2000 is the better choice in that case. Bulbs for the 5025 cost around $270. Obviously it would cost a lot more to keep replacing bulbs on the 5025. However, using the 2000 for normal viewing and the 5025 for movies isn't a bad idea.
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
steve1106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern, Va
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdjnugz View Post
You also mentioned that you use your projector as your main viewing source. In all honesty, I do think the 2000 is the better choice in that case. Bulbs for the 5025 cost around $270. Obviously it would cost a lot more to keep replacing bulbs on the 5025. However, using the 2000 for normal viewing and the 5025 for movies isn't a bad idea.
Thank you for responding. I kind of feel the same way because of the way we use it and the fact that we have been really pleased with the HC2000 because of the "bang for your buck" factor. I'm going to hold off on the 5025 until I catch a price that I can't afford to pass up or one of my projectors dies. Like TVs they are starting to pile up around the house.
steve1106 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Thank you for responding. I kind of feel the same way because of the way we use it and the fact that we have been really pleased with the HC2000 because of the "bang for your buck" factor. I'm going to hold off on the 5025 until I catch a price that I can't afford to pass up or one of my projectors dies. Like TVs they are starting to pile up around the house.
That's exactly what happened with me. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. That is why I upgraded. I was happy with the 2030. I always thought a projector couldn't look better than the 2030 until I actually got my 5025. I also use my projector as my main viewing source, and it does worry me a little bit. With the 2030 I didn't care. I'm getting new furniture soon, and when I do I'm bringing the old furniture into the kids play room in the basement with a tv,, and hoping we'll just go down there for normal tv viewing to keep the hours down on the 5025.
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How is the lag for gaming on the 5025?
We do a lot of gaming on our current projector.
BladeZX is online now  
post #14 of 19 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZX View Post
How is the lag for gaming on the 5025?
We do a lot of gaming on our current projector.
Honestly not the best. In fast mode it's better, but slightly degrades the picture quality. If you do a lot of gaming, I'd reccomend one of the Sony models. I do play some, I like Destiny and I personally don't notice the lag in fast mode but hard core seasoned gamers probably would.
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I don't think you would notice too much unless your playing a FPS. When I play Dragon Age and GTA on my Xbox one I leave I in fine mode, but switch to fast when playing Destiny
therealdjnugz is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yea I love playing FPS. I would say I play them the most. Cannot to play some Gears Ultimate in August
Maybe DLP would be better in this case. I am just not 100% sure that the Benq W1070 would be that noticeable of a difference over my Epson HC1080 (which is at least 7 years old)

I am torn on what to do.
BladeZX is online now  
post #17 of 19 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZX View Post
Yea I love playing FPS. I would say I play them the most. Cannot to play some Gears Ultimate in August
Maybe DLP would be better in this case. I am just not 100% sure that the Benq W1070 would be that noticeable of a difference over my Epson HC1080 (which is at least 7 years old)

I am torn on what to do.
You want dlp fast response with 5030ub contrast..sounds like the Sony hw40 would be perfect.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
post #18 of 19 Old Today, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BladeZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just received my new bulb for the HS1080. It is up and running at full brightness again

I am still looking at a new projector and am leaning towards a DLP right now.
I am sure in the 7-8 years I have had the HC1080 I am sure the newer ones are as good or better (even the $1000 ones)
Would that be fair to say?
BladeZX is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old Today, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeZX View Post
Just received my new bulb for the HS1080. It is up and running at full brightness again

I am still looking at a new projector and am leaning towards a DLP right now.
I am sure in the 7-8 years I have had the HC1080 I am sure the newer ones are as good or better (even the $1000 ones)
Would that be fair to say?
The non-RGB DLPs aren't particularly brighter or higher contrast. There are only 3 RGB DLPs at/below $1000, but ironically the w1070/1075 is still the top performer despite being the cheapest at $699. It's unlikely you'll find them to be any quieter.

The only LCD that games as well as your 1080 is the Epson 8345 which is a little brighter in all modes but otherwise practically the same.

The Sony hw40 would be a big leap upward in performance.
The w1070/1075 would be a smaller improvement, but is nearly 1/3 the price.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off