Old tech (Optoma H77+) vs. New tech (Benq 1075) - Worth it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old tech (Optoma H77+) vs. New tech (Benq 1075) - Worth it?

Been here a while but don't post much - hopefully I can get some insight into a possible upgrade.

I have an older Optoma H77+ (upgraded and ISF calibrated) with a couple extra bulbs from my previous theater. At the time (2004/2005), it was one of the better PJ's you could buy under 10K - great blacks, good colors, and very quiet. This was my primary PJ for a few years, then we moved and there was no space for a theater in the new house. Fast-forward a few more years and another move to a better house with a dedicated theater (a requirement this time) and now I am trying to decide which way to go.

Two drawbacks - it's a 720P Projector, and it's not that bright. While the new theater is not huge, I didn't think the old Optoma could handle a 120" 16:9 at an acceptable brightness level. My initial plan was to get an inexpensive "bridge" PJ like the Benq 1070/1075 for a year or two and wait for the 4K wave (someday). I know that I would give up some black level, but the additional resolution and brightness may make it a worthwhile trade.

Well...I decided to give the Optoma a shot earlier this week. I threw it up on a basic shelf mount for testing and it still looks surprisingly good. It is a light controlled space and while the Optoma is no light cannon, the picture still pops and the contrast looks good (output unmeasured at this point). I haven't done any critical viewing yet as we just moved in and the theater is not set up - screen and PJ are the only things installed. I put the rack back together last night and am planning on getting some quick audio up and running this weekend so we can actually "watch" a movie so that should give me a better feel for the long-term performance.

I'd certainly like to move to 1080P and the additional brightness would be great, but this really is a dedicated theater so ambient light is not that much of an issue. There is a little screen door effect (first row of seats is approximately 12' back), but we are right at the "blend" edge so it's not too bad. All in all, it still looked pretty darned good and I am trying to figure out what I gain and what I lose by upgrading/downgrading.

So here's the question. has anyone had a similar experience - moving from the top end of a previous generation to the lower end of current tech. Did you upgrade or stick with what you had? How much of an improvement did you really get?

Any insight or experiences would be great - thanks!

Short Version - Stick with top of the line old equipment, or replace it with entry-level new equipment?

Last edited by Dogwizard; 07-17-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 491
The Benq should also fix your slight ScreenDoor effect along with the large brightness increase. You'll definitely need to mount it higher and likely a bit closer, but losing the motorized features shouldn't matter once it's setup.
For a DLP without an iris the w1070/1075 performs really well, but it's hard to say how you'll personally be affected by the brightness increase while contrast stays about the same..the increase in black-level may or may not get noticed. The picture will definitely still "pop" though.

Most find the w1070/1075 to be easily quiet enough in eco-lamp (900lumen Brilliantcolor OFF, 1200lumen Brilliantcolor ON), but don't count on it being as quiet as the h77.

If you'd like a quieter, higher contrast, brighter fullHD model (and $2000 doesn't bother you) the Sony hw40 is worth a look.

For the price, the w1070/1075 is impossible to beat. However, you still have spare lamps and don't sound too bothered by the lack of brightness from your h77, so it may be worthwhile to simply hang on a few more years..unless you can sell it and the lamps for a decent price.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Old 07-17-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The Benq should also fix your slight ScreenDoor effect along with the large brightness increase. You'll definitely need to mount it higher and likely a bit closer, but losing the motorized features shouldn't matter once it's setup.
For a DLP without an iris the w1070/1075 performs really well, but it's hard to say how you'll personally be affected by the brightness increase while contrast stays about the same..the increase in black-level may or may not get noticed. The picture will definitely still "pop" though.

Most find the w1070/1075 to be easily quiet enough in eco-lamp (900lumen Brilliantcolor OFF, 1200lumen Brilliantcolor ON), but don't count on it being as quiet as the h77.

If you'd like a quieter, higher contrast, brighter fullHD model (and $2000 doesn't bother you) the Sony hw40 is worth a look.

For the price, the w1070/1075 is impossible to beat. However, you still have spare lamps and don't sound too bothered by the lack of brightness from your h77, so it may be worthwhile to simply hang on a few more years..unless you can sell it and the lamps for a decent price.

Thank for the input/suggestions - it's all pretty much in line with what I was thinking. I know that there are better projectors out there, but I am hesitant to invest too much right now - especially with what I hope is coming up within the next year or two. Dropping $700-800 for a short-term improvement could make sense, but much beyond that and I'm not sure how much sense it makes right now (at least for me).

Mounting is one of the challenges, as the 1075 would need to be pole-mounted much closer to the screen. Not a problem and I have the mount and hardware (purchased an adjustable long Chief pole just in case), it just complicates things as far as doing a quick comparison test.

I would most likely be running in eco-mode exclusively based on my calculations so that would help keep the noise down a bit. I've heard great things about the 1070/1075, but having not seen one in person, it may be an impossible decision to make without picking one up and doing a direct comparison in my room.

Thanks again for your input - I appreciate it!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 342
If this is for movies I highly suggest the HC1200 over the HT1075.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
If this is for movies I highly suggest the HC1200 over the HT1075.
It's for movies in a dark room on a 120" screen where a 400lumen projector is currently doing a good job because it's hitting around 10ftL in the dark.
The hc1200 will only be louder, with weaker blacks and likely uncomfortably bright at 42-56ftL. That's 3X as bright as a standard darkroom projector image should typically be.
The w1070/1075 can hit 21ftL, quieter, and for less money.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement