The best wall mount for easy adjustments? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question The best wall mount for easy adjustments?

I am looking for a wall mount for my w1070, so it'll come from the wall, not the ceiling. I found a few, but they look like they require some mangling and allen wrenches and whatnot to get aligned, and I did not like doing that on my old mount. Everytime you'd wrench down on it, the mount would move the projector. Is there a better system out there? I would not mind dropping a hundred or two on a good mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
I am looking for a wall mount for my w1070, so it'll come from the wall, not the ceiling. I found a few, but they look like they require some mangling and allen wrenches and whatnot to get aligned, and I did not like doing that on my old mount. Everytime you'd wrench down on it, the mount would move the projector. Is there a better system out there? I would not mind dropping a hundred or two on a good mount.
Take a look at Chief mounts - http://www.chiefmfg.com/

Then give us a call at AV Science if we can help !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Where does one purchase a chief mount?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Chief sells their mounts piece by piece. You buy the mount itself, which connects to the projector and has the part that makes all the adjustments, but does NOT include a ceiling extension, or a ceiling plate. You can then buy the ceiling (or wall) portion of the mount. This is excellent, because their ONE mount can be used for normal ceilings, cathedral ceilings, drop ceilings, or WALL mounting as is what you desire.

I recommend the Chief RPMAU.

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/RPMAU

You can use a 1.5" plumbing flange and use lag bolts to put it in your wall. Then use a 1.5" pipe to extend from your wall a foot or so, a 90" adapter, and a 1" 1.5" pipe to connect to the projector mount itself, or you can buy something like this:
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/WMA1S

AVSForum sells Chief products, but I often look on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-HEAVY-...item35c3ce6623

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-U-...item233e45a84d

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 07-29-2015 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mounts like nice, but there is no swing if I get a new projector with a slightly different location for the lens? I would hate to use keystone to adjust that, or have to redrill/mount the arm because of it. What makes chief's easier to get lined up then others?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
You can build your own wall mount out of an old TV wall mount + Chief RPAU projector mount. This is what I had before put my projector on a shelf:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07032.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	857466  

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet + Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

My last mount was not super easy to adjust, I was hoping to get one that was more adjustable.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mounts like nice, but there is no swing if I get a new projector with a slightly different location for the lens? I would hate to use keystone to adjust that, or have to redrill/mount the arm because of it. What makes chief's easier to get lined up then others?
If you are talking about height, then you can mount the chief arm higher, and use a longer extension. The extension is standard 1.5" pipe from Home Depot. So, if the projector you have today needs 8" of extension, then that's what you buy today. If your next projector only needs to be dropped 2", then you get a 2" extension. No redrilling required.

The key with mounts is stability. The Chief mounts don't drift. They also offer micro-adjustability in their 'Elite' version (like I linked) which means you can adjust it with a standard #2 Phillips screwdriver. Their tubular universal bracket is also untouched by any other universal bracket on the market.

It all adds up to a very flexible, and extremely solid mounting solution.

It should be noted that almost every ceiling mount on the market may need to be remounted if the projector has different left/right lens offset or if it has a very different lens offset for up/down placement. Chief just makes it easier to get the right stuff and provides the most solid base to work from.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
My last mount was not super easy to adjust, I was hoping to get one that was more adjustable.
This one can adjust in any direction and can be wall or ceiling mounted. It gets generally good reviews. Some have called it "rock solid", while a few with heavier projectors could not get it to tighten down enough to hold position. It is a shame it doesn't have worm-drive adjustment screws at each joint -- it is just a matter of leaving the joint loose until in the right position and then clamping that joint down. But it can go up and down and side to side so your concerns about lens position and even small differences in vertical offset for future projectors might be satisfied.

I don't know if AVS carries it or not, but I found it on Amazon looking for "projector wall mount".

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
This one can adjust in any direction and can be wall or ceiling mounted. It gets generally good reviews. Some have called it "rock solid", while a few with heavier projectors could not get it to tighten down enough to hold position. It is a shame it doesn't have worm-drive adjustment screws at each joint -- it is just a matter of leaving the joint loose until in the right position and then clamping that joint down. But it can go up and down and side to side so your concerns about lens position and even small differences in vertical offset for future projectors might be satisfied.

I don't know if AVS carries it or not, but I found it on Amazon looking for "projector wall mount".
Looks like that one is not very adjustable, a couple of the reviews say that when you make final adjustments, it moves the projector a bit, causing another portion to need to be adjusted.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Looks like that one is not very adjustable, a couple of the reviews say that when you make final adjustments, it moves the projector a bit, causing another portion to need to be adjusted.
That's why I said it would be nice to find something similar that has actual worm drives at each joint to do the adjustment. Having to hold it in place while tightening the joints down makes it a two-person install, I'd think.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

How is peerless? I am finding some solid kits for $100 with worm drive style adjustments.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting: Peerless-AV PRG-EXB for $114 off B&H. I really liked the ability for some hand adjustments with the gears, and not having to use torx on all adjustments. Super cheap, great reviews, comes with the universal mount that goes for about $98, so figured the wall extension for an extra 16 bucks would be worth it.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Peerless is decent. It's not as solid as the Chief mounts, but does offer a nice entry level gear system. It still has some shift when switching from one adjustment to the other, but it is better than much of what is out there.

The Chief is just the best mount on the market right now, period, with their Elite series mounts. You don't use a tork on the Elite mounts - you use a #2 Philips screwdriver.
taxman48 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page