Optoma HD26 vs HD25-LV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optoma HD26 vs HD25-LV

It's been a long time since the last time I made significant changes to my home theater room, so I'm hoping I can get some help with the primary differences between these models before I get one.

I have about a $1K credit with Costco, and sadly, they no longer carry BenQ W1070/75 models. They do however, have both of these Optoma models to choose from.

My setup is...

- No need for lens shift or the projector speaker, and I have 15 feet to work with in throw distance.
- 100 inch Elite white screen with 1.1 gain.
- Good light control, but stuck with off-white walls/ceiling.
- Primary use for movies at night and big sporting events. Using my 60in plasma for regular TV viewing. No gaming or 3D.

I'm new to the projector world, but based on my research of reviews/forums...

These 2 projectors are essentially equal in:
- RBE, due to the Optoma color wheel
- motion handling

HD25-LV advantages:
- better black levels
- better color accuracy (saturation)
- longer throw distance

HD26 advantages:
- adjustable/saveable preset modes
- longer lamp life in Full mode, slightly more in Eco
- cheaper lamp replacement (due to 190w?)
- $300 cheaper

I'm unsure about brightness. Some reviews claim that the HD25-LV is significantly brighter, but based on other reviews, they are very similar after putting them in "best" mode (Cinema/Reference mode, Eco mode, low BrilliantColor, + calibration). Around 800 for the HD26, and 950 for the HD25-LV??

The dilemma is the $300 difference. If I went with the HD26, that would cover the cost of my screen and mount.

That said, picture quality is important to me, and I can't seem to determine just HOW MUCH better the HD25-LV is. I don't mind spending the extra $300 if the upgrade in quality is visibly worth it.

I guess my only other question is what level of standard are we talking about when comparing all these budget projectors? Would casual consumers think we were splitting hairs, or would they also see very night and day quality differences between these models (HD26, HD25-LV, W1070, etc) ?

And my last option would be to pass on both of these models and wait to see what else becomes available in the next 6-12 months?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Liked: 0
Which one did you end up going with in the same dilemma?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaLupo View Post
Which one did you end up going with in the same dilemma?
I passed on both...primarily due to their color wheels. I would've gone with the HD25-LV, but at $1200 CAD, I'd rather find another option.

Costco has since brought in the Optoma HD37 (currently on sale for $1050 CAD), but it has its own drawbacks. Loud, pricey, expensive lamp replacement, etc.

I assume they will carry the Epson 2040 soon as well, and I liked what I've read about it, but the awkward mounting limitations make it a no-go. If it wasn't for that, it would check most of the boxes for a budget projector.

I'm going to wait to see if they carry the BenQ W1110 later this year. I doubt they will, but I'll be thrilled if they do.

If not, I'm thinking about just skipping Costco entirely and buying a refurbished W1070 for $650 CAD. It comes with the same 1 year warranty from BenQ, so that should provide peace of mind if I go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement