The Offical Epson 2040 Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #1651 of 1796 Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 135" screen, but what if my room does not have low ambient light? What's the recommended distance for a 135" screen with medium ambient light? If the throw range is 11'11" to 14'4", should I just mount the projector closer towards the 11'11" range rather than the ideal 13'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1796 Old 08-04-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 View Post
I have a 135" screen, but what if my room does not have low ambient light? What's the recommended distance for a 135" screen with medium ambient light? If the throw range is 11'11" to 14'4", should I just mount the projector closer towards the 11'11" range rather than the ideal 13'

You should be fine at 13'. It is a guide. I would put it on a table down low first to see what distance works best then measure and use that to start with when mounting on the ceiling. Also the 2040 & 2045 are bright and work well in rooms with light . Epson has a better calculator. Here it is. Make sure to enter your ceiling height and the distance from the screen to the bottom of the screen.https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #1653 of 1796 Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
The more ambient light the more projector lumens you want. It's hard to determine exactly what "medium" ambient light is because we all have slightly different definitions. But the safest strategy is to mount the project at the minimum distance where it will fill the screen as this will give you the most lumens from the projector. There may not be a huge difference in lumens between 13' and 11' 11", but why not take advantage of everything you can get as long as you can be flexible? Just be sure not to get so close to the minimum distance that you miss by an inch and fall slightly short of being able to fill the screen. Test before cutting holes and leave an inch or two for insurance.

post #1654 of 1796 Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Old pics of during install and immediately after from October last year of 135" screen and my 2040

Screen is motorized but leave it down and have tucked away the cables on the left now

134" of HD picture !!

Last edited by ukaussi; 08-04-2017 at 09:07 PM.
post #1655 of 1796 Old 08-09-2017, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was wondering if this happens to anyone else 2040...after watching a couple if hours the projector starts blinking orange and blue button. Then fans come on and it shuts down. I have to turn it back on after the fans turn off. The lamp is the original lamp in it. Should I change the lamp? I haven't done any maintenance or cleaned it aswell. Thinking about getting it serviced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #1656 of 1796 Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post
I was wondering if this happens to anyone else 2040...after watching a couple if hours the projector starts blinking orange and blue button. Then fans come on and it shuts down. I have to turn it back on after the fans turn off. The lamp is the original lamp in it. Should I change the lamp? I haven't done any maintenance or cleaned it aswell. Thinking about getting it serviced.

How old is it? Have you contacted Epson? I would if still in the two year warranty. I have only used mine for a few hours so far.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #1657 of 1796 Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 View Post

I have experienced this problem recently as well.

I recently purchased an Epson 2040 projector and have been having some issues with it. A week ago I was using it and the bulb randomly turned off, followed by a few seconds delay and the projector stopping, showing a flashing blue light on the power LED, and a flashing orange light on the lamp LED (same symptoms you mentioned above). According to the website, this means the bulb needs to be replaced, and do not use the projector unless the lamp/bulb is replaced. I called Epson and they confirmed this, mailing me a new bulb for free as my bulb is still under warranty (bought the projector on July 11, and my bulk life was 25 hours).

So, I went to install it last night, watched a few TV shows and set up my Steam link with the projector....and the exact same issue happened with the new bulb. I plan to call them when they open to see if its the projector itself, but am pretty confused what could be causing it. I am running the projector from a night table with ample room around it, it does run a bit hot but I have read all projectors do. The temperature light has not been on at all. I am currently watching shows via my laptop with an HDMI cord to my sound system receiver, with another one from the receiver to the projector. With the steam link, its directly plugged into the projector, with no other connections.

Anyways, I will update once I call them. If anyone else has experienced this, let me know if you found a solution!
rflores2323 likes this.
post #1658 of 1796 Old 08-11-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenz View Post
I have experienced this problem recently as well.

I recently purchased an Epson 2040 projector and have been having some issues with it. A week ago I was using it and the bulb randomly turned off, followed by a few seconds delay and the projector stopping, showing a flashing blue light on the power LED, and a flashing orange light on the lamp LED (same symptoms you mentioned above). According to the website, this means the bulb needs to be replaced, and do not use the projector unless the lamp/bulb is replaced. I called Epson and they confirmed this, mailing me a new bulb for free as my bulb is still under warranty (bought the projector on July 11, and my bulk life was 25 hours).

So, I went to install it last night, watched a few TV shows and set up my Steam link with the projector....and the exact same issue happened with the new bulb. I plan to call them when they open to see if its the projector itself, but am pretty confused what could be causing it. I am running the projector from a night table with ample room around it, it does run a bit hot but I have read all projectors do. The temperature light has not been on at all. I am currently watching shows via my laptop with an HDMI cord to my sound system receiver, with another one from the receiver to the projector. With the steam link, its directly plugged into the projector, with no other connections.

Anyways, I will update once I call them. If anyone else has experienced this, let me know if you found a solution!

Interesting, I have my 2040 sitting on a end table as well between to chairs and it should be able to get plenty of air to keep it cool. Do you have it set on ECO? That's I put mine on to save on the life of the bulb and I don't need it as bright in my basement. If it has done it again my guess they would replace the whole projector since it is so new and under warranty.

post #1659 of 1796 Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Interesting, I have my 2040 sitting on a end table as well between to chairs and it should be able to get plenty of air to keep it cool. Do you have it set on ECO? That's I put mine on to save on the life of the bulb and I don't need it as bright in my basement. If it has done it again my guess they would replace the whole projector since it is so new and under warranty.
Yes, I did have it set to ECO for the same reasons. I have total light control of my basement so I find it bright enough with ECO, plus the bulb will last longer. Its good to know I didn't do anything wrong though.

As an update to my original post, called Epson and they are mailing me a replacement unit. Didn't say much as to what caused the issue, but mentioned it was an isolated case and they do not see it very often. Since my purchase was 30 days ago, they also agreed to send me a new unit. If I called tomorrow, it would have been a refurbished unit.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1660 of 1796 Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I will be calling epson support for warranty aswell to see if they can send me a replacement. I bought mine Jan 2016 however still under warranty.
post #1661 of 1796 Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased the Epson 2045 when Best Buy had their most recent sale. I've been testing it out on a ladder to determine where/how I want to ceiling-mount it. Hoping to find some guidance in this thread. Pictures of the room and stats are below, but I'd like to mount on a soffit (hiding a steel 'beam') that runs parallel to the wall/screen. Currently, the projector is just a few inches below the soffit and I like how it projects on wall with no zoom and no keystone adjustments (7" from ceiling and 16" from floor, just above outlets). I think the screen size is 136" diagonal but can be scaled back to 113" per Epson calculator.

Does my mounting location make sense and if so, what are my options? Is there a mount with a very short drop? can I flush mount it somehow?

Room stats:
  • 22' room length with 11' width between pole and wall (room has an additional 4-5 feet beyond poll)
  • Front 12'2" of room has 7.5' ceiling
  • Back 9' has 6.5' ceiling
  • Would like to mount Epson 2045 to soffit at 12'2", just a couple of inches in front of primary seating
  • Will have 2' sitting bar behind primary seating
  • Using wall as screen (have a toddler, so don't want to go with an actual screen yet)
  • Primary use is football/basketball viewing with the occasional movie in the mix

Google photos is currently having issues -- will upload pics when I can. Thanks for any help you can provide this projector noob.

Last edited by SwedishPimple; 08-12-2017 at 07:09 PM.
post #1662 of 1796 Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishPimple View Post
I purchased the Epson 2045 when Best Buy had their most recent sale. I've been testing it out on a ladder to determine where/how I want to ceiling-mount it. Hoping to find some guidance in this thread. Pictures of the room and stats are below, but I'd like to mount on a soffit (hiding a steel 'beam') that runs parallel to the wall/screen. Currently, the projector is just a few inches below the soffit and I like how it projects on wall with no zoom and no keystone adjustments (7" from ceiling and 16" from floor, just above outlets). I think the screen size is 138" diagonal but can be scaled back to 115" per Epson calculator.

Does my mounting location make sense and if so, what are my options? Is there a mount with a very short drop? can I flush mount it somehow?

Room stats:
  • 22' room length with 11' width between pole and wall (room has an additional 4-5 feet beyond poll)
  • Front 12'4" of room has 7.5' ceiling
  • Would like to mount Epson 2045 to soffit at 12'4", just a couple of inches in front of primary seating
  • Using wall as screen (have a toddler, so don't want to go with an actual screen yet)
  • Primary use is football/basketball viewing with the occasional movie in the mix

Google photos is currently having issues -- will upload pics when I can. Thanks for any help you can provide this projector noob.
The picture or a drawing would help, but from what information you gave I think will work. At 12.43' you could have a screen at 138". The distance to the top of the projector would be 4.3". You should be able to get a mount on Amazon that will give you that kind of drop.

Here is the calculator I used.
https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html
Grunt001 and SwedishPimple like this.

post #1663 of 1796 Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I purchased the Epson 2045 when Best Buy had their most recent sale. I've been testing it out on a ladder to determine where/how I want to ceiling-mount it. Hoping to find some guidance in this thread. Pictures of the room and stats are below, but I'd like to mount on a soffit (hiding a steel 'beam') that runs parallel to the wall/screen. Currently, the projector is just a few inches below the soffit and I like how it projects on wall with no zoom and no keystone adjustments (7" from ceiling and 16" from floor, just above outlets). I think the screen size is 138" diagonal but can be scaled back to 115" per Epson calculator.

Room stats:
  • Front 12'4" of room has 7.5' ceiling
  • Would like to mount Epson 2045 to soffit at 12'4", just a couple of inches in front of primary seating

G Photos is back up so here are the pics promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soffit.jpg (4.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Back.Far.Corner.jpg (9.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Back.Near.Corner.jpg (7.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Front.Far.Corner.jpg (13.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Front.Near.Corner.jpg (11.4 KB, 27 views)
post #1664 of 1796 Old 08-12-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The picture or a drawing would help, but from what information you gave I think will work. At 12.43' you could have a screen at 138". The distance to the top of the projector would be 4.3". You should be able to get a mount on Amazon that will give you that kind of drop.

Here is the calculator I used.
https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html
Thanks, Ladeback. I used that calculator as well. Where do you get that the distance from ceiling to top of projector is 4.3"?
post #1665 of 1796 Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Ladeback. I used that calculator as well. Where do you get that the distance from ceiling to top of projector is 4.3"?
Sorry 4.3" is from screen edge down. If you use the Option button and enter your ceiling height and where you want the bottom of the screen, it will give you the distance from the ceiling to the top of the projector.
SwedishPimple likes this.

post #1666 of 1796 Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry 4.3" is from screen edge down. If you use the Option button and enter your ceiling height and where you want the bottom of the screen, it will give you the distance from the ceiling to the top of the projector.
Good to know, thanks. I put in 7'6" for ceiling height and 1'2" for bottom of screen. Additionally, I updated my throw distance to 12'2". It returned 16-24" for distance from ceiling to top of projector. My soffit is already 12.5" down. So I need a mount that has a drop of 3.5" to 11.5"? That seems like a wide range -- am I missing something? Or is that range related to biggest screen vs. smallest using zoom? If that's the case, I am looking for a very flush mount...
post #1667 of 1796 Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I put in 7'6" for ceiling height and 1'2" for bottom of screen. Additionally, I updated my throw distance to 12'2". It returned 16-24" for distance from ceiling to top of projector. My soffit is already 12.5" down. So I need a mount that has a drop of 3.5" to 11.5"? That seems like a wide range -- am I missing something? Or is that range related to biggest screen vs. smallest using zoom? If that's the case, I am looking for a very flush mount...
You have to play with the screen size numbers. I put in 136 for screen size, 7.6" for ceiling height, 1'-2" for bottom of screen and I got 12'-2.2" to 14'-7.7" for throw distance. If you soffit is say 12" to 24" deep you should be good. Just use the zoom to get it where you want. For mount you will want something that hugs the ceiling. Just make sure the mount can be adjustable up and down on an angle. If it has to much drop, could you the mount up into the soffit and drywall around the mount drop arm? Many kind of mounts on Amazon that should work.
SwedishPimple likes this.

post #1668 of 1796 Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You have to play with the screen size numbers. I put in 136 for screen size, 7.6" for ceiling height, 1'-2" for bottom of screen and I got 12'-2.2" to 14'-7.7" for throw distance. If you soffit is say 12" to 24" deep you should be good. Just use the zoom to get it where you want. For mount you will want something that hugs the ceiling. Just make sure the mount can be adjustable up and down on an angle. If it has to much drop, could you the mount up into the soffit and drywall around the mount drop arm? Many kind of mounts on Amazon that should work.
Agree, I think the key is finding a mount with virtually zero drop, but not sure I will based on quick Amazon search. Unsure if your other suggestion would work, but something to consider if I can't find a hugger mount.

Here is one that has a 4" drop: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I6PRBI..._t3_B016XJJIDG

This still drops it too low, but can I still get the right screen placement, w/o degrading image, by angling up? I'm trying to avoid keystone.

Also, is 7" from ceiling and 16" from the floor too tight to either top or bottom?
post #1669 of 1796 Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agree, I think the key is finding a mount with virtually zero drop, but not sure I will based on quick Amazon search. Unsure if your other suggestion would work, but something to consider if I can't find a hugger mount.

Here is one that has a 4" drop: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I6PRBI..._t3_B016XJJIDG

This still drops it too low, but can I still get the right screen placement, w/o degrading image, by angling up? I'm trying to avoid keystone.

Also, is 7" from ceiling and 16" from the floor too tight to either top or bottom?
This is the one I have and was going to try an use and is a 7' drop without the extension. I like it because you can adjust it without having to use keystone. I just need to find the screws that attach it to the projector. I used it on an older projector and not sure where I put the hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APMEB-Universal-Projector-Adjustable/dp/B00892RUTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502731357&sr =1-1&keywords=cheetah+ceiling+mount

On "Also, is 7" from ceiling and 16" from the floor too tight to either top or bottom", are you talking about the screen placement? If you go 22" from the floor to the bottom of the screen the distance from the ceiling is 5.8" and you could mount it in you soffit then maybe.

post #1670 of 1796 Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
On "Also, is 7" from ceiling and 16" from the floor too tight to either top or bottom", are you talking about the screen placement? If you go 22" from the floor to the bottom of the screen the distance from the ceiling is 5.8" and you could mount it in you soffit then maybe.
Yes; currently my projector is 12'2 from screen/wall and projects a 136" diagonal image that is 7" from the ceiling and 16" from the floor. Trying to decide whether this is just right, too high, too low, etc.
post #1671 of 1796 Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes; currently my projector is 12'2 from screen/wall and projects a 136" diagonal image that is 7" from the ceiling and 16" from the floor. Trying to decide whether this is just right, too high, too low, etc.
Sounds pretty good since you have ceilings below 8'.

post #1672 of 1796 Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Sounds pretty good since you have ceilings below 8'.
Ha! Yeah, I don't have a lot of real estate to work with but I think a 136" screen from 12'6" away will be alright. Just need to find a home for a center channel...
post #1673 of 1796 Old 08-14-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, I don't have a lot of real estate to work with but I think a 136" screen from 12'6" away will be alright. Just need to find a home for a center channel...
What do you have for front speakers? If you are pressed for space you could Acoustically Transparent and get in-wall speakers or you other option is to put the center channel at the bottom and angle it up a little at the seats. I take it you only have one row of seats?

post #1674 of 1796 Old 08-15-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
What do you have for front speakers? If you are pressed for space you could Acoustically Transparent and get in-wall speakers or you other option is to put the center channel at the bottom and angle it up a little at the seats. I take it you only have one row of seats?
I've read that AT is the optimal way to go, but not sure that will be in the budget to start. You are correct; I will have one row (sectional)...and a sitting bar behind it.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1675 of 1796 Old 08-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hey guys so I just got my 2045 as well set everything up and was super super happy with everything until.....i noticed this.....the football passes spirals look super blurry and its bugging the crap out of me. Is this just what it is on this projector or is there a setting I can adjust to reduce this? Im torn now I got this mostly to watch sports and football and I didn't notice this before until today I've had the projector for about a week. It's tough to yell from these videos but believe me it's blurry AF! Any help appreciated thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...U5ZanR3Vi1LTG8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...XdyRFhsc0ZxVms

My settings if this helps

https://imgur.com/gallery/5dAx8

Last edited by kingtana1; 08-18-2017 at 09:30 PM.
post #1676 of 1796 Old 08-19-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@kingtana1 , the video you linked to wouldn't work for me, so I didn't get to see the blurry pass. I see you have your Frame Interpolation set to high, which should produce the least blurry image of a moving object like a football pass. I'm guessing the original video broadcast was not high quality and the football pass was so blurry that even having FI on high couldn't save it, i.e. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).
Car67 likes this.
post #1677 of 1796 Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@kingtana1 , the video you linked to wouldn't work for me, so I didn't get to see the blurry pass. I see you have your Frame Interpolation set to high, which should produce the least blurry image of a moving object like a football pass. I'm guessing the original video broadcast was not high quality and the football pass was so blurry that even having FI on high couldn't save it, i.e. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

hey dave thanks for the input, i dont believe that the broadcast was a poor quality, it was monday night football espn feed, if i view it on my samsung plasma TV its a perfect picture, i obviouslyt dont expect the same quality on this projector as my samsung plasma, i was just disappointed when i noticed the blurryness on the passes, its something i can probably live with but if i can reduce it or eliminate it then id obviously would defiitely try to do so. im thinkni of upgrading to the epson 3700 just because it bothers me that much, but i dont know if this is just projectors in general or just the particular model i happen to own. anyhow thanks again for the input i really appreciate it
post #1678 of 1796 Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the 2040 and am watching the Chiefs game and I haven't noticed the passes being blurry, but see the ball spin in a spiral. Now I have Google Fiber and the quality is incredible. I couldn't get the videos to work either.

post #1679 of 1796 Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtana1 View Post
hey dave thanks for the input, i dont believe that the broadcast was a poor quality, it was monday night football espn feed, if i view it on my samsung plasma TV its a perfect picture, i obviouslyt dont expect the same quality on this projector as my samsung plasma, i was just disappointed when i noticed the blurryness on the passes, its something i can probably live with but if i can reduce it or eliminate it then id obviously would defiitely try to do so. im thinkni of upgrading to the epson 3700 just because it bothers me that much, but i dont know if this is just projectors in general or just the particular model i happen to own. anyhow thanks again for the input i really appreciate it
Frame interpolation is essentially a bandaid to help a technology that doesn't natively handle motion well. I also have a plasma and in addition to the superior black levels I also appreciate its inherent ability to handle motion without blurring. With projectors, 3LCD like the 2045 you have does not have great native motion handling capabilities, so FI is added to try to smooth things out. DLP has superior native motion handling and many prefer it because it's also inherently sharper due to using a single chip instead of the 3 panels used in LCD that can never be in absolutely perfect alignment. Have you ever had a chance to view a DLP projector to see if you might prefer it to 3LCD?
post #1680 of 1796 Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Frame interpolation is essentially a bandaid to help a technology that doesn't natively handle motion well. I also have a plasma and in addition to the superior black levels I also appreciate its inherent ability to handle motion without blurring. With projectors, 3LCD like the 2045 you have does not have great native motion handling capabilities, so FI is added to try to smooth things out. DLP has superior native motion handling and many prefer it because it's also inherently sharper due to using a single chip instead of the 3 panels used in LCD that can never be in absolutely perfect alignment. Have you ever had a chance to view a DLP projector to see if you might prefer it to 3LCD?
i uploaded the videos to youtube again its tough to see but when the ball gets thrown on a fast tight spiral you can clearly see blurred motion of the ball, again i dont think its the quality because on the plasma tv it doesnt blur so its definitely something with projector which i understand isnt the best at handling this type of motion, i dont expect it to be as good just didnt think it bother me that much but the more and more i watch it the more its becoming a pain.

i went with the 2045 because from what i read it was great for sports and fast motion and that the 3LCD were overall better at handling fast motion without blur. this is my first projector ever and im happy for the most part i went with this due to the price itself and the lower cost of the replacement bulbs, but i am considering returning and getting something better if i can get something that will perform better. id had to return this though and get something different and have the same results, if this is how projectors are then ok i am willing to just suck it up and deal with it but if i can get something else without spending too much more (under $1500) then i might consider an alternative, thanks again guys.

yotutbue links

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page