IFA 2015 - LG PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 485 Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTaker78 View Post
Damn! Newegg has them now?! I'm debating on ordering right now since it's my birthday today. Could use a new projector. My old Epson 6100 is pretty fuzzy on the corners and overall just doesn't look as sharp as when it was newer. Looking forward to your impressions Ponziani.
Doublecheck the return policy. NewEgg often has a really harsh return specifically dealing with projectors..so be careful.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 485 Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I just finished measuring input lag, and ended up with 150-166 ms in Standard mode, and 50-66 ms in Game mode. Considering that these are in line with the PF1500, these numbers are probably not far off reality. Renaming the HDMI1 input to PC had the same effect as setting Game mode.

Subjectively, it's clear Standard mode is not workable for gaming; when I cloned the screen with a CRT and moved the mouse, the movement lag was clearly visible. This was not the case in Game mode. Now it's time to play some Destiny to check the real world results!
Ftoast likes this.
post #63 of 485 Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Is the brightness you are referring to using eco or full mode and how loud is it relative to the Sony?

I don't know that the PF1000U has an eco mode.

I haven't had the HW30 and PF1000U powered on at the same time, but I believe the PF1000U is somewhat louder than the HW30. Then again, the HW30 is the quietest projector I've owned.
Jiminheimer likes this.

post #64 of 485 Old 09-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponziani View Post
So I just finished measuring input lag, and ended up with 150-166 ms in Standard mode, and 50-66 ms in Game mode. Considering that these are in line with the PF1500, these numbers are probably not far off reality. Renaming the HDMI1 input to PC had the same effect as setting Game mode.

Subjectively, it's clear Standard mode is not workable for gaming; when I cloned the screen with a CRT and moved the mouse, the movement lag was clearly visible. This was not the case in Game mode. Now it's time to play some Destiny to check the real world results!
Thanks!! I think if you tell me destiny is a decent experience I'm gonna pull the trigger.

I'd love any input you guys have with regard to this or the lg pf1500 in terms of picture quality and pros/cons of ultra short throw. Asked the same question in the pf1500 thread
post #65 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3859 Post(s)
Liked: 3942
it's likely the same projector with the exception of the custom lens/mirror setup.

@ Ponziani - thanks for the CRT test, these are consistent with my CRT measurements on the PF1500. Several have stated 70ms in game mode but that is from the LB device which is known to show slightly higher lag than the CRT test.

so is this a keeper from what you've seen so far?
post #66 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's likely the same projector with the exception of the custom lens/mirror setup.

@ Ponziani - thanks for the CRT test, these are consistent with my CRT measurements on the PF1500. Several have stated 70ms in game mode but that is from the LB device which is known to show slightly higher lag than the CRT test.

so is this a keeper from what you've seen so far?
It's a keeper. It's also nice to know if my HW30 ever has problems I can pick this thing up with one hand and carry it downstairs for use on my screen. Amazing such a compact unit has this performance.

Last night, I tried out bluetooth mode and the PF1000U immediately found my YSP-2500 soundbar and used it for sound output. The YSP-2500 even says 'LG Projector' on its display when using it this way, which is kind of cool.

Last edited by Ponziani; 09-24-2015 at 10:47 AM.
post #67 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
It's a keeper. It's also nice to know if my HW30 ever has problems I can pick this thing up with one hand and carry it downstairs for use on my screen. Amazing such a compact unit has this performance.

Last night, I tried out bluetooth mode and the PF1000U immediately found my YSP-2500 soundbar and used it for sound output. The YSP-2500 even says 'LG Projector' on its display when using it this way, which is kind of cool.
Thank for your time and testing, was the input lag "do-able"? If not, I'm... really... leaning at the new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2040 to replace my W1070. The only major advantages The PF1000U has is the 30,000 hours, EASY setup Under screen, and incredible power efficiency. (50-75 watts)

The 2040 basically has no input lag (~25ms?), $500.00 cheaper, $99.00 official lamps, MUCH MUCH brighter, <------deal breakers here
(Eco mode) 231W Power consumption, 7,500 hours lamp life, Frame Interpolation, 3D, ..... this is gonna be a tough decision.....
post #68 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3859 Post(s)
Liked: 3942
Quote:

thanks for your feedback. when discussing this projector and the PF1500, this is the main point some folks are missing when comparing it to the budget DLP's like the BQ 1070 and others in this price category. I have 5 UHP projectors and there is nothing quite like turning this on and getting to full brightness / HDMI lock in about 8 seconds with instant off. Plus the portability is great, I move my PF1500 all over the house.

I use the JBL Charge bluetooth speaker, easy sync and it sounds great.

enjoy your new projector.
Jiminheimer likes this.
post #69 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks for your feedback. when discussing this projector and the PF1500, this is the main point some folks are missing when comparing it to the budget DLP's like the BQ 1070 and others in this price category. I have 5 UHP projectors and there is nothing quite like turning this on and getting to full brightness / HDMI lock in about 8 seconds with instant off. Plus the portability is great, I move my PF1500 all over the house.

I use the JBL Charge bluetooth speaker, easy sync and it sounds great.

enjoy your new projector.
I hope other manufacturers follow suit and release competing USTs. Competition for consumer grade USTs (using LEDs) seems to be lacking !
post #70 of 485 Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 PM

IFA 2015 - LG PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector

Just a few odds and ends tonight...

-Had no problem playing Destiny in Game mode, other than being old and not having played in a couple of months.

- Finally saw a couple rainbows, but they're very infrequent and of course YMMV. As I stated earlier, I am very sensitive to RBE and found color wheel DLPs basically unwatchable, but this projector doesn't bother me despite the large screen size.

- Decided to go with an 84" Elite Cinetension 2 with CineWhite material for the screen.

Last edited by Ponziani; 09-24-2015 at 11:10 PM.
post #71 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Can you try to rename input name to PC?
when I did that on PF1500 I thought input lag was eliminated but for a worse picture quality
post #72 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 08:05 AM

IFA 2015 - LG PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector

Mishari84, I did - the answer is in what you quoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #73 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey Poniani, thanks for all the informations. Can you please check one thing? Some of the pf1500s had problems with the blacklevel and its uniformity. How does the black look on the pf1000u?
post #74 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nice pictures

The European model is on the street

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...f1000u/?page=3

thanks to Pausanias

Saludos
post #75 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd love to see a decent video of this projector. The only one on youtube seems to be taken from a moderately bright room. I'm really considering getting this for the bedroom, but I just can't tell from the pictures I've seen so far how good the picture quality is.

I'm a complete projector simpleton, but one question I do have: Is 1000 lumens on a UST the same as 1000 lumens on a normal home theater projector? I would assume (probably incorrectly) that 1000 lumens a foot from the wall is brighter than 1000 lumens 20 feet from the wall...but maybe I'm misunderstanding?
Tom Bley likes this.
post #76 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Just looking at that thing, it's the PF1500 with a UST lens on it. Makes sense that they would do this, but it certainly seems the same, which means any and all PF1500 discussions would likely apply to this. Lots of discussion of the 300 different models LG will make for every little country that exists. Discussions of how the Amazon model has focus issues while the B&H models have color issues.

Silly stuff.

But, 1,000 lumens is 1,000 lumens, and this projector won't hit it. It may hit about 700 lumens, and it won't hit the brightness of a model like the BenQ HC1085ST. It will have input lag that runs towards the high side, except in game mode, which will still be higher than the BenQ (33ms) and some other models.

It certainly has enough light to fill a 120" screen, but the UST lens may limit size to 100". I would wait for someone to confirm an actual image size maximum before picking one up for a 110" screen size.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #77 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
It certainly has enough light to fill a 120" screen, but the UST lens may limit size to 100". I would wait for someone to confirm an actual image size maximum before picking one up for a 110" screen size.
Someone else will have to investigate this...I just don't have a place where I can reasonably test a screen size beyond 100".
post #78 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM

But you can test how small the picture can get while still in focus. Would be nice to know.
post #79 of 485 Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Someone else will have to investigate this...I just don't have a place where I can reasonably test a screen size beyond 100".
You could certainly just slide it away from the wall and see if it loses focus completely. That's something that could be done with a 4' wide wall. Just keep sliding it back until you can't get it into focus at all. Then let everyone know how far the projector is from the wall when it loses focus, and that is likely the maximum image diagonal.

But, if you aren't up for it, that's cool. You really should just own and enjoy above all else. I don't have nearly enough time to do all the tests that I would like to with the projectors.
Ftoast and Jiminheimer like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #80 of 485 Old 09-26-2015, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The user manual has info on projector positioning vs screen size so I won't comment on that (I already moved the projector). Regarding screen distortion - when I took those pictures the screen was perfectly rectangular; however, if the projector isn't perfectly perpendicular to the screen and level, you will get pincushioning or a trapezoidal image. Just being off by fractions of an inch makes a visible difference; I think this is just the nature of UST projection.

Regarding focus - at 96" I was able to get sharp focus for text on my HTPC desktop on either the upper left or lower right corners of the screen, but not both simultaneously; when one corner was set to max sharpness the other was slightly blurry (but still readable). I only tried for a couple of minutes and have not played with the various edge adjustments so it's too early to say if this is a real issue or not. Note that when I 'split the difference' between the corners for focus, text everywhere on the screen was readable, but slighly soft.

Ponziani, when you write that the one of the upper left or bottom right corners is soft, can you give an estimate of how much area are you talking about (i.e 1 sq foot or 5 sq inch, for example) ?

Thanks in advance.
post #81 of 485 Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
Ponziani, when you write that the one of the upper left or bottom right corners is soft, can you give an estimate of how much area are you talking about (i.e 1 sq foot or 5 sq inch, for example) ?

Thanks in advance.

It wasn't huge, it was comparable to the Recycle Bin area vs. the time/date taskbar display on the Windows desktop. Now that I have my projector in its permanent spot (84" on my bedroom wall), I don't see as much of a focus disparity now (though there is still just a little, I can get both corners looking pretty sharp, just not razer-sharp at the same time).

post #82 of 485 Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 PM

Thanks for all the details P. Pending another full hd led with 3d announcement at cedia, I will most likely get this.

Don't like the slight focus issues, lag times, and stuff you describe but for what I want, this seems to be the most reasonable option
post #83 of 485 Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzoneos View Post
Thanks for all the details P. Pending another full hd led with 3d announcement at cedia, I will most likely get this.

Don't like the slight focus issues, lag times, and stuff you describe but for what I want, this seems to be the most reasonable option
Why not just buy a bulb?

You really aren't saving any money at 1300 bones.
post #84 of 485 Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzoneos View Post

Why not just buy a bulb?

You really aren't saving any money at 1300 bones.
Well. Thought about that too and was going to get the benq that's so highly recommended.

But - this has pros that for me appear to outweigh the cons (my first projector so certainly could be wrong lol)

No bulb, or hassle of replacing. No real placement/mounting issues (probably the biggest pro for me). Easily move it whenever I please and take it to the basement/family room when someone's over, and still not worry about mounting/position.

heat creation in my bedroom with a 300+W bulb. Built in tv tuner and smart apps/network server Will go a long way for my OTA and hdhomerun prime (not sure if the benq has this), although I will probably get androidtv anyway so the hdhomerun prime portion is kind of moot.

Cost difference in energy savings is pretty substantial too.
post #85 of 485 Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
post #86 of 485 Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinto View Post
Can someone who understands German please provide an English summary of the reviewer's observations / comments regarding the projector? Thanks !
post #87 of 485 Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 PM

No idea what he was saying but seemed pretty impressed with everything except maybe the sound lol. How quickly he set that up and moved it to resize is the main reason I want it. Can't put a price on that convenience!!

Questions:

watching that review, I didn't notice any issues with reading letters/words in the corners that would suggest significant focus issues. Would it be noticeable in a YouTube video??

I wasn't that impressed with picture quality in that review. Obviously there are a lot of variables, including projecting on that bare wall (oddly enough almost the same color as my wall haha). Is it safe to assume that the real deal looks much better and closer to an hdtv??
post #88 of 485 Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 204
With that much light in the room, no projector will look good IMO.
post #89 of 485 Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quick couple of questions that I can hopefully get some quick and easy answers to.

Maybe know one would know the answer to this, but why not ask.

Which might perform better in a semi lighted room, the PF1000U or a similar spec wise long throw front projector? It is possible for the PF1000U to perform better in a daylit living room than it's long throw counterpart since the PF`1000U is so much closer to the screen?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
post #90 of 485 Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
Quick couple of questions that I can hopefully get some quick and easy answers to.

Maybe know one would know the answer to this, but why not ask.

Which might perform better in a semi lighted room, the PF1000U or a similar spec wise long throw front projector? It is possible for the PF1000U to perform better in a daylit living room than it's long throw counterpart since the PF`1000U is so much closer to the screen?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Makes no difference if they have the same Lumens you will get the same picture brightness.
yadfgp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page