IFA 2015 - LG PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: earth -alpha quadrant - france
Posts: 1,793
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 317
There is no way to use it has a TV replacement unstead you like washed picture under daylight.
I won't choose on one the Models of the PF serie from LG either PF1500, LARGO or PF1000U, I have tester all of them and the very poor contrast is available on all of them. But in term of quality, the Largo (same as PF15000 Us version is IMHO the better choice).
kraine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 05:49 AM
Member
 
owizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
But in term of quality, the Largo (same as PF15000 Us version is IMHO the better choice).
Thamks Kraine, I have decided not to go for the EU version anymore based on your review. The US version is still very appealing to me as an additional projector for the bedroom considering its placement flexibility.
owizard is offline  
post #153 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Jiminheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
Found an EU link for the Vivitek: http://www.vivitek.eu/Category/Educa.../139/DH758UST-

It seems to be categorized under 'Education Projectors'. The specs are listed at the above link.
This is interesting...nice find. 5 Year warranty too. Edit: (5 Years For education, standard 3 year warranty)

@ FToast is this a decent projector? Heard much about it? And why do all retailers say this:

"The Vivitek DH758UST projector can display a 110-inch image from about 18.05 inches away" Edit: Read the Vivitek data sheet: this seems to be from the back of the projector not the lens.....

When it's calculator says otherwise? http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivi...ulator-pro.htm No zoom?

What am I misunderstanding? Would this have a high dynamic picture and bad picture for Home? Sorry if the thread topic is thrown off, I can start another thread if you guys would like.

EDIT: New thread Vivitek DH758UST Ultra Short throw projector

Last edited by Jiminheimer; 10-18-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Jiminheimer is offline  
 
post #154 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminheimer View Post
This is interesting...nice find. 5 Year warranty too. Edit: (5 Years For education, standard 3 year warranty)
...
...
Found a US link : http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdet...&vertical_id=3
viba is offline  
post #155 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
I just put online the review of the PF1000U european version (no smart tv, no frame interpolation, no wlan and no smart remote ) :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...st-lg-pf1000u/

google translation :

https://translate.google.fr/translat...%2F&edit-text=

My personnal opinion, forget this kind of product if you want to have a real Cinema experience at home
What? 288:1 sequential contrast? Can someone else confirm this?
Elix is offline  
post #156 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminheimer View Post
...
...
What am I misunderstanding? Would this have a high dynamic picture and bad picture for Home? Sorry if the thread topic is thrown off, I can start another thread if you guys would like.
At the risk of converting this thread into a Vivitek thread, I will post this anyway this once
@Jiminheimer , please do start another thread...am interested in the Vivitek DH758UST as well. It's MSRP is $2950. Street price seems to be $1299.

Video showing the Vivitek DH758UST used in rear-projection mode. The video also shows EPSON EB585W:


Last edited by viba; 10-18-2015 at 11:41 AM.
viba is offline  
post #157 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Member
 
owizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponziani View Post


Here's my final bedroom setup. I ended up with an 84" Elite Screens Cinetension 2 since the wall textures were distracting. I'm snaking a 40' HDMI cable around the room to feed it from my PS4, HTPC, and DirecTV box using a matrix switch, so I can use my 40" TV in the daytime and the projector at night. Working out fantastic so far!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your setup looks really good. How is the performance of the projector so far. How does it cope with some ambient light at 84". Could you please share your initial impressions. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by owizard; 10-18-2015 at 01:43 PM.
owizard is offline  
post #158 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Jiminheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
At the risk of converting this thread into a Vivitek thread, I will post this anyway this once
@Jiminheimer , please do start another thread...am interested in the Vivitek DH758UST as well. It's MSRP is $2950. Street price seems to be $1299.

Video showing the Vivitek DH758UST used in rear-projection mode. The video also shows EPSON EB585W:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBzu9l8_tM
Yeah I saw that video ....starting another thread......
Jiminheimer is offline  
post #159 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
I just put online the review of the PF1000U european version (no smart tv, no frame interpolation, no wlan and no smart remote ) :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...st-lg-pf1000u/

google translation :

https://translate.google.fr/translat...%2F&edit-text=

My personnal opinion, forget this kind of product if you want to have a real Cinema experience at home
Hi @Ponziani,

@kraine seems to be underwhelmed with the performance of the EU version of the projector. Since you have had first hand experience with the US version for a couple of weeks now, do you have any similar complaints or comments (especially on the image quality)?

Appreciate your input. Thanks !
viba is offline  
post #160 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Ponziani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Campbell, CA, USA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Your setup looks really good. How is the performance of the projector so far. How does it cope with some ambient light at 84". Could you please share your initial impressions. Thanks a lot.
It looks washed out in the daytime, like most if not all projectors in its lumen range. Having the adjacent master bathroom light on in an otherwise dark room was not a problem though. Keep in mind that due to the extreme projection angles, using Black Diamond or other living room screen-style solutions might not work well. For instance, when I looked at the LG Hecto, which had its own specialized screen for all-day viewing, there was significant image reflection on the ceiling.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
Ponziani is online now  
post #161 of 485 Old 10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Ponziani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Campbell, CA, USA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
Hi @Ponziani,

@kraine seems to be underwhelmed with the performance of the EU version of the projector. Since you have had first hand experience with the US version for a couple of weeks now, do you have any similar complaints or comments (especially on the image quality)?

Appreciate your input. Thanks !
All I can say is that for how I'm using it, I don't feel much if any image compromise compared to my Sony HW30. I'm not a reviewer though, just a guy who wanted a bedroom setup, and this projector is ideal for my needs...no way was I going to have a ceiling mounted setup in my bedroom.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ponziani; 10-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Ponziani is online now  
post #162 of 485 Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Member
 
owizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks, Ponziani

It seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US at the moment.
owizard is offline  
post #163 of 485 Old 10-19-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Thanks, Ponziani

It seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US at the moment.
Yeah, I was thinking of buying but, New Egg is out. They almost make it sound like they won't be getting anymore. Amazon had one in stock this morning but now, they are offering it through another company that wants WAY to much for it.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #164 of 485 Old 10-19-2015, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Thanks, Ponziani

It seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of buying but, New Egg is out. They almost make it sound like they won't be getting anymore. Amazon had one in stock this morning but now, they are offering it through another company that wants WAY to much for it.
If you have one close by, Frys Electronics seems to have it in store (as per their online store).

Edit: It is $1299 at Frys (savings of $100.99). Add it to the cart (http://www.frys.com) and select in store pickup.

Last edited by viba; 10-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
viba is offline  
post #165 of 485 Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
If you have one close by, Frys Electronics seems to have it in store (as per their online store).

Edit: It is $1299 at Frys (savings of $100.99). Add it to the cart (http://www.frys.com) and select in store pickup.
Says it would ship by Nov. 2nd. When I try to see the price it want me to sign up, screw that. The closest Fry's is over an hour away. The savings would just offset the tax I would have to pay, so really no cheaper than elsewhere.

Last edited by Tom Bley; 10-20-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #166 of 485 Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SI announces a projector screen designed specifically for UST projectors. Hopefully it will help in reducing some of the issues mentioned in posts above (washed out image during daytime, contrast issues etc) with the LG PF1000U. But, I guess this screen will cost a pretty penny too!.

Tom Bley likes this.

Last edited by viba; 10-19-2015 at 08:59 PM.
viba is offline  
post #167 of 485 Old 10-20-2015, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I saw the video of the SI ST (Short Throw) screen. To bad they are so damn expensive. Almost three times the cost of the projector. Hopefully there is a paint method that can work almost as well. lol
Tom Bley is online now  
post #168 of 485 Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,125
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
SI announces a projector screen designed specifically for UST projectors. Hopefully it will help in reducing some of the issues mentioned in posts above (washed out image during daytime, contrast issues etc) with the LG PF1000U. But, I guess this screen will cost a pretty penny too!.

https://youtu.be/zw4-8Byp_fo?t=52s

Projectors will always be washed out in the daytime, it's a fundamental way in which they work. Some of the ambient rejecting. Screens help, but they are no substitute for a dark room.

The contrast? TI is pushing out 10 year old dlp chips, nothing much will help there aside from buying a jvc.
Verge2 is online now  
post #169 of 485 Old 10-20-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,649
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
I saw the video of the SI ST (Short Throw) screen. To bad they are so damn expensive. Almost three times the cost of the projector. Hopefully there is a paint method that can work almost as well. lol
The problem with paint is it can't really be one-way directional like it appears the newer UST screen is.
Same with the Microlite screens, they can't really be copied with paint.

However, the Slate is shown to work a little bit with UST and that is a pretty simple grey@1.2gain or less which is easy enough to copy with paint.
..That said, I'd argue their examples are almost purely using the room and a bright/small image to fight light and the screen is doing very little in their UST examples with the Slate.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is online now  
post #170 of 485 Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The problem with paint is it can't really be one-way directional like it appears the newer UST screen is.
Same with the Microlite screens, they can't really be copied with paint.

However, the Slate is shown to work a little bit with UST and that is a pretty simple grey@1.2gain or less which is easy enough to copy with paint.
..That said, I'd argue their examples are almost purely using the room and a bright/small image to fight light and the screen is doing very little in their UST examples with the Slate.
Thanks, Ftoast. I remember our discussion in the DIY screen thread a few weeks back about just doing a simple gray but, not to dark, otherwise it will ruin the night time viewing.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #171 of 485 Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Member
 
owizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazon seems to have 17 in stock at the moment. Looks like they are selling well in the US.I just bought one.
owizard is offline  
post #172 of 485 Old 10-22-2015, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Amazon seems to have 17 in stock at the moment. Looks like they are selling well in the US.I just bought one.
They had 18 in stock before I bought one. I should have it Friday.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #173 of 485 Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Amazon seems to have 17 in stock at the moment. Looks like they are selling well in the US.I just bought one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
They had 18 in stock before I bought one. I should have it Friday.
@owizard , @Tom Bley ,

Cool. Looking forward to reading your impressions about it !
Tom Bley likes this.
viba is offline  
post #174 of 485 Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
They had 18 in stock before I bought one. I should have it Friday.
@owizard , @Tom Bley

Are you considering any specific projector screen for the LG PF1000U, or a DIY route ? I read on Microlite website that they also have a UST version of their screen. No idea about the price, but probably cheaper than SI.

http://microlite-screen.com/project/...te-ust-blazer/
Tom Bley likes this.
viba is offline  
post #175 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Member
 
owizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Viba,

I am not considering any screen as such. I want to have the flexibility to move it to different rooms in the house. Really looking into paint options at the moment.

That Microlite screen definitely looks interesting. Thanks for the link. It is probably going to be expensive. I think Ambient light rejection technology has come a long way and improving all the time.

owizard is offline  
post #176 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 02:53 AM
Member
 
SoulTaker78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pulled the trigger and ordered 1 of the 17 they had at Amazon. Sucks that I had to pay $107 in taxes and $7.99 for overnight shipping. Should be here in a few hours. This is my 3rd projector but my first DLP projector. Looking forward to having a Back to the Future Marathon. Going to get a few DLP link glasses next week and watch that Guardians of the Galaxy 3D Blu-ray I got for my birthday.
Tom Bley likes this.
SoulTaker78 is offline  
post #177 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
@owizard , @Tom Bley

Are you considering any specific projector screen for the LG PF1000U, or a DIY route ? I read on Microlite website that they also have a UST version of their screen. No idea about the price, but probably cheaper than SI.

http://microlite-screen.com/project/...te-ust-blazer/
I'm not looking at a screen. At least not right now. I've been researching a little bit. The Microlite are interesting but, also expensive. It would be more than the projector itself even though I would keep it under 100". I may try just some lighter gray paints with minimal or no metallic and see what that does but, for right now it's going to be a flat white wall to project onto.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #178 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
viba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTaker78 View Post
Pulled the trigger and ordered 1 of the 17 they had at Amazon. Sucks that I had to pay $107 in taxes and $7.99 for overnight shipping. Should be here in a few hours. ...
. Looking forward to reading your impressions too !
viba is offline  
post #179 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hey guys - new to the board here.

Seems I must have 5 posts in order to post links.

I bought the PF1500 about a month ago. Cool projector.

One.
m.spin is offline  
post #180 of 485 Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I travel a lot for work and it works well for that.

Two.
m.spin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off