IFA 2015 - LG PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #241 of 485 Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone attempted a ceiling mount of one of these?

I just bought a new house that has a pretty perfect for this unit to be hung on the ceiling. I already have a 110" motorized screen, but my old Mitsu1500 didn't survive the move and a new bulb on a 720p unit that's several years old just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 485 Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Make sure that your screen is 100% 'wave-free' before you buy this projector.
post #243 of 485 Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post
Has anyone attempted a ceiling mount of one of these?

I just bought a new house that has a pretty perfect for this unit to be hung on the ceiling. I already have a 110" motorized screen, but my old Mitsu1500 didn't survive the move and a new bulb on a 720p unit that's several years old just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Thanks

I'm sure you can, but you can get better for cheaper with a regular projector, so why?

post #244 of 485 Old 10-31-2015, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can get the EU version for a 25% cheaper price than the US version. Not sure whether lack of Trumotion makes a significant difference. Not too worried about the lack of smart features. Unable to decide at the moment. Just found one more video of the EU version in ECO mode, with plenty of ambient lighting, projecting on to a slightly textured wall.

post #245 of 485 Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-n-o View Post
Make sure that your screen is 100% 'wave-free' before you buy this projector.

I think that's a good idea. Wish I would have done that first even though those waves don't show up on my old Epson 6100. I think it's the mirror that makes the waves appear on screen which is even weirder since they don't show up on a flat blank wall at all. I say use a blank painted wall or a fixed screen for best results.
post #246 of 485 Old 10-31-2015, 08:01 AM

It's the projection angle of the ust projectors. The light hits the screen in such a shallow angle that any unevenness gets highlighted.
Ftoast likes this.
post #247 of 485 Old 10-31-2015, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTaker78 View Post
I think that's a good idea. Wish I would have done that first even though those waves don't show up on my old Epson 6100. I think it's the mirror that makes the waves appear on screen which is even weirder since they don't show up on a flat blank wall at all. I say use a blank painted wall or a fixed screen for best results.
While it may not be possible to fully eliminate focus inconsistencies, I think it is also quite important (especially in the case of a UST) that the projector be as parallel to the wall as possible (to minimize focus inconsistencies).

Last edited by viba; 10-31-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #248 of 485 Old 11-01-2015, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzoneos View Post
Hm ok I'll definitely have a look on saturday. Hopefully it's down to 1299 again. Or lower lol. Signed up for the frys email promo codes too just in case.

I'm so tempted by the benq now too though. W1070 was on sale sub 600 and the ht1075 under 700. Power usage supposedly 163w on eco. Hmmmmmmmm
For those who are interested, Frys has the PF1000u on sale for $1199.00 (down from $1399.99) today [Sunday, Nov 1st].
post #249 of 485 Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the heads up!!
post #250 of 485 Old 11-01-2015, 01:40 PM

Sort of an off topic question but I just ordered this and need to start planning for my remaining devices.

I currently don't have a receiver and was planning on buying a soundbAR. It'll be in my bedroom so didn't think a full on receiver is needed.

I am worried about connection options. I have androidtv, ps4, cable tv, and my pc all connected to my TV via HDMI cables.

What's the best way to accommodate my 4 devices?
post #251 of 485 Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sort of an off topic question but I just ordered this and need to start planning for my remaining devices.

I currently don't have a receiver and was planning on buying a soundbAR. It'll be in my bedroom so didn't think a full on receiver is needed.

I am worried about connection options. I have androidtv, ps4, cable tv, and my pc all connected to my TV via HDMI cables.

What's the best way to accommodate my 4 devices?
Will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-P...2%3A1248879011
post #252 of 485 Old 11-02-2015, 07:31 AM

LoL had no idea they even made that, thanks. Just to make sure I get how it works:

All of my av devices go into that switch. The one hdmi out goes into an hdmi soundbar. And then soundbar to projector...I assume the soundbar will pass the video, and keep the audio??

Back on topic: current owners - any new opinion on screen material for thia projector?? I'll always have some ambient light so was leaning towards a gray screen... Carl's blackout cloth may work too??
post #253 of 485 Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All of my av devices go into that switch. The one hdmi out goes into an hdmi soundbar. And then soundbar to projector...I assume the soundbar will pass the video, and keep the audio??

Haven't tried one myself, but what you wrote about the video makes sense; no sure about the audio. Would suggest asking in the Home A/V Distribution section.

Quote:
Back on topic: current owners - any new opinion on screen material for thia projector?? I'll always have some ambient light so was leaning towards a gray screen... Carl's blackout cloth may work too??
Based on what I'm reading about the impressions of the PF1000U, perceived contrast seems to be lower. So a darker screen may help. I suggest asking in the Screens and DIY Screens sections for recommendations.

Last edited by viba; 11-02-2015 at 09:41 AM.
post #254 of 485 Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post
Quote:

Haven't tried one myself, but what you wrote about the video makes sense; no sure about the audio. Would suggest asking in the Home A/V Distribution section.

Quote:
Based on what I'm reading about the impressions of the PF1000U, perceived contrast seems to be lower. So a darker screen may help. I suggest asking in the Screens and DIY Screens sections for recommendations.
Thanks viba. You are the bomb.Com. I actually just found out my parents have a screen still boxed up and never used so I'm just going to snag that lol.

Unfortunately my frys order was canceled because my amazing credit card company thougth it was fraud and frys is now,out of stock.... what luck. Hopefully they get more in later this week!!
post #255 of 485 Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 PM

Sweet back in stock and order placed. 1287 total after taxes and rush shipping.

I'll install everything over the weekend and see how it looks on my bare wall (lemon grass) color vs the actual projector screen I have.
post #256 of 485 Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM

Got my projector in today. It was soooo easy to get up n running. Took it out of the box, connected hdmi, plugged it in. Done deal. Currently just projecting on my bare yellow wall though lol (lemon grass color to be precise)

Played some rocket league on it via ps4. Definitely some lag, but it didn't trouble me too much. I can see it being a pain for fps though.

Absolutely love the convenience of just putting this thing down on the counter. I tried it in 3 different rooms showing it off to everyone within 30 minutes haha.

I'm anxious to try out the 3D. Any suggestions on cheap but functional glasses?? I tried my old samsung 3d glasses but they didn't work.

Also - the screen from my parents basement is a stewart firehawk luxus deluxe or something like that. Think it'll be dramatically better then DIY white drywall?? Based on the viewability on my yellow wall (not recommended) im thinking bare white wall should be plenty good... only reason I'm considering the wall is because of permanent convenience. Having a fixed frame will require me to have the projector positioned perfectly (takes away from one of the key benefits of ultra short throw in my bedroom!!)

Thanks everyone!
owizard likes this.
post #257 of 485 Old 11-06-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also - the screen from my parents basement is a stewart firehawk luxus deluxe or something like that. Think it'll be dramatically better then DIY white drywall?? Based on the viewability on my yellow wall (not recommended) im thinking bare white wall should be plenty good... only reason I'm considering the wall is because of permanent convenience. Having a fixed frame will require me to have the projector positioned perfectly (takes away from one of the key benefits of ultra short throw in my bedroom!!)

Thanks everyone!
Great !

I don't recall having read impressions about this PJ on a projection screen yet (except @SoulTaker78's comments clarifying that it helped remove the bow from the image for him).

Any idea what color is the projection screen (white / gray etc) and what is it's gain rating? If you know the model, perhaps you can check on their website (or maybe it's written on the packaging )

Maybe a gray screen might be better for this PJ than a white...let us know if your try out the screen.

In any case, if your screen has a reasonably flat surface, projecting on it might be better than on an imperfect wall (which seems to result in bowing as per the previous posts). Also, regarding the moving convenience aspect, if you are not too particular about the image occupying the whole screen, maybe the PJ can be kept closer to the screen, if possible, to get a slightly smaller image than the screen size if the intention is to move the PJ frequently between locations in the house .

Regarding 3D, @zombie10k has provided some recommendations on the glasses in this thread here, and @Ponziani has posted his 3d impressions in this thread here.

Keep us posted on your impressions with the screen (if you try) and the 3d.
post #258 of 485 Old 11-06-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Got my projector in today. It was soooo easy to get up n running. Took it out of the box, connected hdmi, plugged it in. Done deal. Currently just projecting on my bare yellow wall though lol (lemon grass color to be precise!
Hi,

Could you please advise whether Trumotion makes much of a positive difference to motion handling on PF1000U. I have foud the following about Trumotion on LG PF85U on projector reviews. Trying to understand whether it is the same on PF1000U also. Thanks a lot.

LG's PF85U TruMotion - Frame Interpolation

TruMotion is LG’s name for their Frame Interpolation. To my eyes, there there’s little or no difference between the settings for TruMotion, which are Off, Smooth (Dejudder of 3), Clear (de-Judder of 7), and User, which allows any setting between 0 and 10, when viewing HDTV sources.

The documentation notes only what I have written above, in fact TruMotion the word, only appears in the manual twice – on a spec page, and on a matching footnote. Seems that 60 hz content may not benefit from the various modes. That footnote specifically mentions 60fps which is typical of HDTV.

My understanding from past experience is that TruMotion would in that case be Frame Interpolation, but not “creative.” That is, it’s inserting a frame between every two frames. Whether that’s a black frame or a duplicate of the frame before it, I cannot tell, but my guess would be a duplicate frame, or I’d expect a very slight drop in perceived brightness.

Switching to Blu-ray disc, the Creative Frame interpolation is definitely visible. By the time you are up to the Clear setting (de-judder of 7), the soap opera effect is very visible.

Consider Smooth motion then to be suitable for movies – if you like “smooth motion”, but, that soap opera affect changes “the director’s intent.” For sports viewing, where I would normally use CFI, the benefit seems almost nonexistent as there doesn’t seem to be any ‘creative” happening. I did not experiment with it on gaming, as I’m just not a real gamer. I can say, though, when I measured input lag, times were much worse with TruMotion turned on, as would be expected.

- http://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/l....0nKaPXXY.dpuf
post #259 of 485 Old 11-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Couple of quick updates, but first, thank you viba for your useful comments as always

The screen is a stewart luxus firehawk screenwall. Google shows 2 variations a g3 and g4... I can't seem to figure out which one I have, but didn't have too much time to go through all the labeling. Also, measured it using poor mans techniques (ruler lol) and it appears to be either 82 or 84 inches. I will not be able to install it until Monday but will make it a point to post on YouTube and share my thoughts for all of you since this forum is and has been so helpful to me. Side note: I had no idea how expensive this screen is... 2-4K holy ****

For the question about interpolation... I'll be honest and be up front in telling you that I am far from being a videophile and on my 240hz samsung led tv that this replaced, I hated how things looked with these settings on so I always had it "off".

That said, once I have the screen setup I'm happy to go through the different options and let you know if there are any significant differences. I know very little about the technical stuff behind it though so it will be strictly my opinion based on observation
post #260 of 485 Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Couple of quick updates, but first, thank you viba for your useful comments as always
Hey, thanks ! I just shared what I learnt or read here. Pay it forward .

Quote:
The screen is a stewart luxus firehawk screenwall. Google shows 2 variations a g3 and g4... I can't seem to figure out which one I have, but didn't have too much time to go through all the labeling. Also, measured it using poor mans techniques (ruler lol) and it appears to be either 82 or 84 inches. I will not be able to install it until Monday but will make it a point to post on YouTube and share my thoughts for all of you since this forum is and has been so helpful to me. Side note: I had no idea how expensive this screen is... 2-4K holy ****

For the question about interpolation... I'll be honest and be up front in telling you that I am far from being a videophile and on my 240hz samsung led tv that this replaced, I hated how things looked with these settings on so I always had it "off".

That said, once I have the screen setup I'm happy to go through the different options and let you know if there are any significant differences. I know very little about the technical stuff behind it though so it will be strictly my opinion based on observation
By the way, I found some LG projector (and LG TV) calibration settings on AVS shared by fellow members who were pleased with the image, for their viewing conditions. These are of course not for LG PF1000U and may not work for you - but might as well give it a try . If nothing, you come out learning something.

LG PF1500 - Projector : New LG PF1500 LED Projector

LG TV Thread : LG 55" 55LM7600 calibration

Last edited by viba; 11-07-2015 at 12:48 AM.
post #261 of 485 Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 PM

I was sitting here bored and decided to take a video with my galaxy note 4. The quality is horrible and I'm apparently holding my phone slanted lmao. Thought I'd share it anyway. Definitely don't judge the projector off this video haha

Its on my bare wall (lemon grass color). Netflix app via ps4. Taken with my galaxy note 4. All default settings, power save maximum. No idea what my youtube upload settings are since it's my first post in years.

The sound is straight from the projector at volume level 50 (goes to 100 I believe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFNbls5ar4
owizard likes this.
post #262 of 485 Old 11-08-2015, 11:58 PM

The EU version is now available on Amazon, Germany

http://www.amazon.de/LG-PF1000U-Ultr...rds=lg+pf1000u
marcodj likes this.
post #263 of 485 Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody know what DLP chip is in these. Just got it and have dead pixel 4" in from right. On a 100" screen its a real shiner. :-(

I'd replace the chip if I could get one.
post #264 of 485 Old 11-10-2015, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dead Pixel. Home repair??

Anybody know what DLP chip is in these. Just got it and have dead pixel 4" in from right. On a 100" screen its a real shiner. :-(

I'd replace the chip if I could get one.
post #265 of 485 Old 11-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Texas Instruments DLP4710
post #266 of 485 Old 11-10-2015, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post
Unfortunately the EU version of the PF1000U is a crippled junk version compared to the US version.
I'm looking to find an affordable way of getting the US version of the PF1000U to my home in Europe but haven't found a way in which I don't have to pay premium to do so.

Any suggestions are welcome!
post #267 of 485 Old 11-10-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
Unfortunately the EU version of the PF1000U is a crippled junk version compared to the US version.
I'm looking to find an affordable way of getting the US version of the PF1000U to my home in Europe but haven't found a way in which I don't have to pay premium to do so.

Any suggestions are welcome!
I was thinking along the same lines. I wanted to either import it or buy it when I am in the US next time. However, a few considerations changed my thinking.

1. Most people still don't seem to like frame interpolation / trumotion. I have it on my LG TV and didn't really find it that useful. I don't have it on my other 2 projectors either and they seem to be OK.

2. Some people are reporting dead pixels / stuck mirrors.I wanted to be able to easily return it in case there are any issues. I also wanted warranty coverage.

3. DVB T2 HD TV tuner which is useful in the UK

4. Kraine mentioned that motion was OK in his review, if I understood it correctly.

5. I don't need Smart TV features as I can use Chromecast or some other streaming device.

6. VAT and shipping charges would have cost an extra £280 and I couldn't justify spending more than £1000 on this projector.

If 3D and Ultra Short Throw are not important, I think the PF1500 US version represents the best value 1080P LED projector even considering VAT and shipping. I wanted both features in my next projector and there is nothing else out there.

Last edited by owizard; 11-11-2015 at 01:00 AM.
post #268 of 485 Old 11-11-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was sitting here bored and decided to take a video with my galaxy note 4. The quality is horrible and I'm apparently holding my phone slanted lmao. Thought I'd share it anyway. Definitely don't judge the projector off this video haha

Its on my bare wall (lemon grass color). Netflix app via ps4. Taken with my galaxy note 4. All default settings, power save maximum. No idea what my youtube upload settings are since it's my first post in years.

The sound is straight from the projector at volume level 50 (goes to 100 I believe)

@redzoneos , can you comment on the squareness of the image (i.e. does the image have straight parallel sides when placed on a seemingly flat surface, or did you have to use the leg-screws (if available on the bottom of the pj) to adjust the height and get parallel sides)?

Also, have you noticed any color shift from white (i.e. if you project a white image on a white screen, do you see any color shift from white (e.g. do you see any red tinting etc) )?

Thanks !

Last edited by viba; 11-11-2015 at 11:10 AM.
post #269 of 485 Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viba View Post

@redzoneos , can you comment on the squareness of the image (i.e. does the image have straight parallel sides when placed on a seemingly flat surface, or did you have to use the leg-screws (if available on the bottom of the pj) to adjust the height and get parallel sides)?

Also, have you noticed any color shift from white (i.e. if you project a white image on a white screen, do you see any color shift from white (e.g. do you see any red tinting etc) )?

Thanks !
Hi viba. Unfortunately I was unable to put up my stewart screen this weekend as planned so I'd prefer to hold off on answering your questions, at least in a more"official" opinion capacity. Especially about the color issue. But for now...

I would say on my bare yellow wall the image is reasonably square and I have not changed any settings on this projector (software, hardware, legs, etc - there are plastic screw things at the bottom for adjusting height). I will say that it is super sensitive. Slightest bump to the desk or contact with projector seems to nudge it off center and create unevenness.

So As far as placement, I would highly recommend this for someone that is prioritizing convenience and cares less about perfection of image. If you want perfection and a perfect 16x9 image at all times you will need to wall mount, in which case i would not recommend this.

This is all just short term experimenting at this point though, once I have my screen mounted, I'll know more about how well it holds its spot.

Other observations so far:

1. The OTA video quality is lacking and I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I assume it has to have something to do with the built in decoder/video processor or whatever it's called. I can stream an OTA channel via hdhomerun from my computer and it looks great, and this is after transcoding. For some reason OTA direct into the LG has motion issues, jaggedness, and quite frankly just looks a bit dull (standard def ish) etc. Seems odd. Maybe some settings need to be tweaked.

2. There seems to be no way of using smart functions without accepting LG consent for data gathering, which seemed a bit too detailed for my liking.

3. Netflix via chromecast will NOT work on this without accepting lg consent...in which case you will use the lg supplied netflix app and not chromecast.

4. The built in sound is not as horrible as I expected. I've been using it exclusively since I bought it (no soundbar yet). Obviously it's not good sound, but no where near as bad or as quiet as I assumed. a serviceable travel/temp solution.

5. 2D to 3D conversion is pretty meh, and I was more impressed with my Samsung 46 led this replaced. I will reserve judgement though until I get a proper screen up. Have not tried true 3D yet..

6. The remote is meh too. I like the feel, comfort, and concept. In practice the channel wheel is annoying and keeps giving tv input popups on screen if accidentally pressed while on any other input. I also feel like the lack of direct dial numbers for channels, source changes, etc is something I miss alot from traditional remotes. Maybe I'll get used to it.

7. I can't get hdmi cec to work right. Will be looking into it, possibly just user error.

8. Game mode definitely helps with input lag. Only played rocket league so far. Initially I thought input lag wasn't so bad, but switching to game mode was an instant and significant improvement and I promptly realized how bad the issue was at default settings.

That's all for now.
post #270 of 485 Old 11-18-2015, 01:22 PM

I received my LG PF1000U EU version last week. Unfortunately, it was a defective unit and I had to send it back. The issues included a wavy picture at the top left and lack of focus and colour uniformity. I think the reflective mirror is not properly aligned. The motion resolution is good even without Trumotion. It does need very precise positioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page