A few questions before I make the switch. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 88
A few questions before I make the switch.

My greatest concern is longevity. My TV is on anywhere from 8 to 14 hours a day, and even with over 5,000 hours on it, it still looks as good and evenly bright as the day I bought it. Basically, how many backup bulbs should I have on hand? As I understand it, the life of identical bulbs can vary by dozens or hundreds of hours.

I noticed some projectors are marketed as "2D/3D" instead of just "3D." What's the difference?

As I don't care about 3D, is there a no frills high image quality 2D-only 1080 or 4K projector?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 343
You only have 5000 hours on your TV???? My 3.5 year old set is probably closer to 14,000 by now (But I work from home and use it like a radio).

Bulb life can vary by manufacturer. As does cost of the replacement bulb. You can also extend the life of a bulb by using it in 'Eco' mode in instances where full brightness is not needed.

I never keep more than one back up on hand.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I share your concern about lamps and longevity. It is what keeps me from upgrading to a better projector.

So you do 8 to 14 hours a day, or 2950 lamp hours on the low side or 5110 on the high side. Getting a projector with a lamp that runs $300 could cost you $300 or more a year. My solution was to get a Epson HC2000 with $99 replacement lamps but you take a hit on contrast/black levels. Most media is fine but if you are a horror fan like we are dark images/scenes could be better, but it is a trade off. We have a $549 projector with a lamp rated to 5000 or 6000 hours, and a two year overnight warranty....but, the image isn't for everyone.

2D to 3D: some projectors convert 2D to a "3D" image.

Keep in mind your room will also impact the image. In a bright room the image will be washed out and any light lowers contrast. For example, my 169inch 16:9 image before I treated the room with 7 hundred watt lights on, 1 hundred watt lamp on and all lights off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightexample.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	943986  

Last edited by steve1106; 09-16-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page