post #91 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
I'm just glad someone here is crazy enough to own both of these just to set people straight :D
Rob,
Yep, I'm certifiable! I originally set up my HT in the basement, knowing how much my wife hates the basement but loves movies. So, eventually, SHE said: "I wish we had a projector upstairs, I'd like it much better." I saw my opening and took it--and since these pjs are now relatively cheap, I was able to get two for what I paid a few years back for just one Sony 400q! Now I have my downstairs "escape" theater, and my upstairs "family" one. I figured since these two pjs were both so close, I'd get one of each. :D :D

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments Mike.
post #93 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flooper
ritter,
This is just my opinion of course, but after using the X1 for about three months, I have decided these are the inputs I prefer:

1. HDTV: VGA (no choice here)
2. DVDs (Progressive scan dvd player into VGA)
3. Standard def TV (s-video into s-video)

Realistically, about the only one you have any choice on is with DVDs. To me, it just seems like DVDs through the VGA port have more punch to the colors. I felt the s-video and component/s-video connection for DVDs had excellent deinterlacing and picture stability/black level/shadow detail, but when I compared to the VGA port, the colors seemed flatter to my eyes. I like a punchier picture, so I went the VGA route.

mike
Well I just happened to borrow a friend's progressive dvd player this weekend (Panasonic RP-56 ) to see if I should upgrade from my Sony going through S-Video. Honestly I couldn't really tell the difference at first glance on the X1, so I didn't even bother giving it a second look, figured I'll save myself the $150+. Definitely a thumbs up for the Faroudja chip in the X1.

-Rob
post #94 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rob,
I think you're probably right. I had to buy a nice component/vga breakout cable anyway for HD, plus I already had a progressive DVD player. So I didn't want to spend much on a nice s-video cable also, and I've got a long run--about 25 feet. It just made sense to go through the VGA port for DVDs also. I'd bet the difference I see in color vibrancy is mostly due to using a low quality s-video cable vs. a good quality component/vga cable. If I didn't already have a progressive scan DVD player, I couldn't have justified spending the extra money for one--the X1 definitely does a nice job with the Faroudja.

mike
post #95 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that cheap DVD players could contribute to some of the subpar pictures. I just upgraded my Toshi SD2700 to a Panny CP72 and using the same high quality s-vid cable, my picture is MUCH better. I no longer experience squiggly/crawly/wavy images when panning across a field or grove of trees or grandstand, etc.

jeff

What we have heah...is a failya...to communicate.
post #96 of 98 Old 03-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Stereophile Class A DVD player (for what thats worth) and have been watching everything through a high quality S-Cable i.e. interlaced.

I really wonder if I switch to VGA (progressive) whether I'll see much if any difference.

Guess theres only one way to find out. Unless. . . anyone else using a premium DVD player and done an A/B between S and VGA?
post #97 of 98 Old 03-27-2003, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My X1 will be here in about 2 hours, im glad i ran into this post, i feel much better about my purchase:)
post #98 of 98 Old 03-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rpml
My X1 will be here in about 2 hours, im glad i ran into this post, i feel much better about my purchase:)
Glad I could help :D
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page