AVS Forum banner

Soundbars + Projectors

3K views 69 replies 12 participants last post by  Rocky3RD 
#1 ·
I don't know what you guys use as your audio source to operate your fantastic projectors, but I personally use a Samsung wireless soundbar with subwoofer (300 watts).
Some users seem to realle despise sounbars, but I used my Samsung in conjunction with all my projetcors and I was able to recreate the most dynamic movie theater environment, with lots of full and rich sound

#3 ·
I read all these nasty comments about soundbar use in a projector-based home movie theater...I was just wondering why sounbars are getting such a bad rap.
My sounbar works so flawlessly it almost feels like it came with my projectors, not too weak but not too overwhelming either, just right to complement a 120" display, with tons of options to suit anything from action, to drama, documentaries, and more

#5 ·
When we sold our house and moved a few years back, the surround sound was part of the deal. Nothing fancy, just a 7.1 setup with a lower end Onkyo receiver and Take Energy Classic speakers. I had to start over in the new house and figured I'd grab a soundbar to tide me over until I got another system in place. I got the Pioneer Andrew Jones unit as it was supposed to be one of the better soundbars available at the time. I think I kept it about a week before I ended up taking it back. To me, it really wasn't all that much better than the TV sound and wasn't anything near a proper (even lower end) surround sound setup.

It's kind of like in that thread where you were talking about getting a projector and now wondering why everyone doesn't do it. Once you get a decent 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system in place you wonder why anyone would waste money on a soundbar. It's just how this hobby goes. You get something new and it's the greatest thing ever; until you see something better or decide to upgrade and then that new thing becomes the greatest thing ever; and so-on and so-on.

#7 ·
When we sold our house and moved a few years back, the surround sound was part of the deal. Nothing fancy, just a 7.1 setup with a lower end Onkyo receiver and Take Energy Classic speakers. I had to start over in the new house and figured I'd grab a soundbar to tide me over until I got another system in place. I got the Pioneer Andrew Jones unit as it was supposed to be one of the better soundbars available at the time. I think I kept it about a week before I ended up taking it back. To me, it really wasn't all that much better than the TV sound and wasn't anything near a proper (even lower end) surround sound setup.

It's kind of like in that thread where you were talking about getting a projector and now wondering why everyone doesn't do it. Once you get a decent 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system in place you wonder why anyone would waste money on a soundbar. It's just how this hobby goes. You get something new and it's the greatest thing ever; until you see something better or decide to upgrade and then that new thing becomes the greatest thing ever; and so-on and so-on.
you obviously had a very mediocre soundbar. I know what my soundbar sounds like and I know what regular TV or projector speakers sound like and there is an ocean of difference in quality.
Not all sounbars are created equal. My Samsung soundbar comes with a separate wireless subwoofer and I am not exaggerating but when watching action-packed movies like Avengers or The Hobbit the sound effects are an exact replica of what you experience in a movie theater.
I purposely have the subwoofer located right next to us so that the vibration make the whole area we are sitting at shake during those intense action scenes. I can crank it up without any distortion and all the individual sounds are always very defined and crisp

#10 ·
Sounds bars have severely limited HF extension. Their midrange will be extremely thin and they will have no lf extension. Pair that with a small sub that has to play up to 100hz or more and you have a recipe for bloated bass at higher volume levels.

High fidelity music will not sound very good coming from compromised 3" tweeters trying to play both hf and mf. Spending money on a huge display while scrimping on the audio will create an unbalanced system.

Having to crank soundbars up just to hear low volume dialogue which will be easily drowned out by action scenes is also not a good thing. A big 120" or bigger screen with a sound bar or low efficiency speakers is a mismatch and compromises how enveloping a movie can be.

A surround sound system comprised of high efficiency speakers and capable subs placed around the room will have an entirely different feel compared to a sound bar or low efficiency speakers which are struggling to reach reference level with a boat load of distortion.

#11 ·
I have two Vizio 5.1 sound bars. Subwoofer to sound bar is wireless with wired surrounds so it's a pretty good setup. The older one needs a bluray player with internal audio delay but the newer one supports it internally. Both fill up the room decently for TV and movies but sound like crap with music. This us the minimum setup I would roll with in a 'home theater'.

#12 ·
Sound Bars are So Awesome that dedicated Hi-Fi 7.1 speakers
and high powered subwoofers will some day be extinct, just like LED TV's (according to some people)

:rolleyes:

#29 ·
The problem with many mid bass modules and small subwoofers is extension. Most small subs will not do much of anything below 30hz. Add to that a severe drop in spl at 27- 35hz and below for most subs 10" and smaller. That is a recipe for boomy, inaccurate bass.

People seem to think that giant subs are the sources of in accurate, overwhelming bass however often times the reverse is true. As long as a large sub has a large enough motor, it will loaf around at spl's smaller subs tend to turn into boom boxes trying to reach. Given the right magnet size, motor strength, and box size, a larger sub eases the need for more power and will perform articulately without breaking a sweat when dynamic passages in a movie or musical passage calls for it.

Small subs with cheap motors, magnets etc, will not sound articulate reaching up to 100 hz or more and they will not show much extension under 30hz. You will be missing much of the movie's impact where supple extension and spl beneath 30hz is necessary in order for you to hear the special effects in the manner the sound engineer and director intended.

#35 ·
No its not wireless and surround speakers need to be placed in the back of the room or the side walls. This would destroy your myth about sound bars.

#37 ·
The Onkyo system is the best that they have to offer.

The speakers are always somewhat lacking in the Onkyo setups, but they tend to offer the most bang for the buck and some of the better 'package' deals for what is out there. From a single seller, that's pretty much the way to go.

It doesn't touch better stuff and the bass will certainly be lacking. Compounded by a complete lack of understanding of audio and no care to educate yourself, this shouldn't impact you at all.

Those who are interested, may want to head over to Audioholics to find out why dual and quad subwoofer setups make a lot of sense in a good theater space.

Also, worth knowing why commercial cinemas use many very large subwoofers in their space.

Subwoofers, by example, shouldn't be loud. They should be smooth with good extension and plenty of dynamic range. A really good subwoofer can extend audio below the human hearing level. You can actually shake a room with audio that you can't physically hear, but it adds a presence. The general throbbing of a large ship while you are standing on board. The unbelievable roar as a rocket takes off from ground zero. The buildup of drums as people prepare for war. Good bass blends seamlessly with the main speakers to provide a presence to the entire experience. It should never be boomy or bassy sounding, but smooth and seamless and visceral. It should hit you in the center of your chest, but only when called for.

Good bass performance is tough to get for under $1,000 for a subwoofer except from some direct to consumer manufacturers and the DiY crowd. There is a reason the JL Gotham and Velodyne DD speakers exist though.

#38 ·
The Onkyo system is the best that they have to offer.

The speakers are always somewhat lacking in the Onkyo setups, but they tend to offer the most bang for the buck and some of the better 'package' deals for what is out there. From a single seller, that's pretty much the way to go.

It doesn't touch better stuff and the bass will certainly be lacking. Compounded by a complete lack of understanding of audio and no care to educate yourself, this shouldn't impact you at all.

Those who are interested, may want to head over to Audioholics to find out why dual and quad subwoofer setups make a lot of sense in a good theater space.

Also, worth knowing why commercial cinemas use many very large subwoofers in their space.

Subwoofers, by example, shouldn't be loud. They should be smooth with good extension and plenty of dynamic range. A really good subwoofer can extend audio below the human hearing level. You can actually shake a room with audio that you can't physically hear, but it adds a presence. The general throbbing of a large ship while you are standing on board. The unbelievable roar as a rocket takes off from ground zero. The buildup of drums as people prepare for war. Good bass blends seamlessly with the main speakers to provide a presence to the entire experience. It should never be boomy or bassy sounding, but smooth and seamless and visceral. It should hit you in the center of your chest, but only when called for.

Good bass performance is tough to get for under $1,000 for a subwoofer except from some direct to consumer manufacturers and the DiY crowd. There is a reason the JL Gotham and Velodyne DD speakers exist though.
I obviously did not make myself clear, I have an in-store credit with projectorpeople.com, not with Audioholics. Considering that I already have two projectors which I am totally satisfied with, and I have no need for screens, the last and most logical option would be to use the credit on a sound system to compliment one of the two projectors.
I am not gonna spend $800 or more somewhere else when projectorpeople is keeping my money. That would be absurd.

#41 ·
Those 2 packages are very similar. It looks like it just has slightly different receivers. If you aren't concerned about future upgrades, then the less expensive unit will work just as well. The more expensive unit gives you a better receiver with 7.1 capability and actual binding post connectors.

#42 ·
Most bluray movies and Netflix streaming only come with an option of 5.1. I have never seen any program with a 7.1 option...Again this is something I am not familiar with.
And other than the $100 difference between the two systems, they look almost identical and use the same technology. The $699 system, with tax and shipping, puts me at exactly $823, and my credit is for $816, so i could just pay ProjectorPeople the $9 difference and add this great audio system to my living room, while moving the soundbar into the bedroom.
I have heard of Onkyo many times and always heard good things about this brand in general

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.