Used projector at pawn shop. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Used projector at pawn shop.

Hello,

I got rid of my movie theater a couple years ago. Well, I adopted a kid this year and I've been considering getting a blow up projector screen and another projector. I never really considered buying a used one on craigslist or ebay because there is no warranty to speak of.

I walked into a pawnshop looking for tools a few weeks ago and this pawnshop had great prices and they negotiate readily. It isn't sleazy like many. I was pretty impressed with the pricing, so I've been stopping in to see what they have.

The two things go together because I noticed 2 projectors there today and they were both marked way down from their initial price. An Optoma HD180(which I understand is a HD20) for $100 and a Yamaha LPX-500 for $170. They both have 30 day warranties. I didn't plug them in to check the hours. Bulbs don't seem very expensive for the HD180. $100 seems pretty cheap for a 1080p projector. What hours would be reasonable to have on it? I think my HD66 had 1000+ hours before the DMD chip died. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Congrats on the new family addition! At those prices, I think I might bite and take a chance. Then again, getting a brand new 1080p projector isn't that much more these days. Something like this perhaps? Good luck!

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You can't really go by the hours showing on a used projector like that since the hours can be reset at any time. $100 is cheap, but not a very good deal if the thing goes out a week or 2 after the 30 day warranty. Even if it's just the bulb that goes out, you're still looking at $40-$50 for a non-OEM replacement (which can have their own set of issues).

That Optoma mentioned above is a good starting point for 1080p. If you didn't want to spend that much you can find the "data" type lower resolution light cannons by Viewsonic and Optoma that can still throw a respectable picture for a couple hundred less.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement