Managing Projector Bulb Flicker - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 01-02-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Now that I think about it I think my 40es flicker began under 400 hours. I wouldn't even mind running with fan on high if that stops it. High lamp mode is awfully bright in my ht.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 01-03-2016, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Now that I think about it I think my 40es flicker began under 400 hours. I wouldn't even mind running with fan on high if that stops it. High lamp mode is awfully bright in my ht.
I'd be curious if fan on high and lamp in eco works. But I am skeptical. With the HW40, since there isn't an iris, I don't know how to make it dimmer if you put the bulb on high. Only a lower gain screen, gray screen or something. Not exactly an easy or desirable change...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #33 of 74 Old 01-03-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I'd be curious if fan on high and lamp in eco works. But I am skeptical. With the HW40, since there isn't an iris, I don't know how to make it dimmer if you put the bulb on high. Only a lower gain screen, gray screen or something. Not exactly an easy or desirable change...
With some projectors you can set it to high altitude mode and get higher fan speed in eco mode. A few people have reported that this helped reduce lamp flicker, but only a few. It didn't work for me. For reducing brightness some have successfully used neutral density filters.

post #34 of 74 Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 356
No flicker in last two days since turning contrast enhancer off. Keeping fingers crossed.
post #35 of 74 Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
No flicker in last two days since turning contrast enhancer off. Keeping fingers crossed.
Did you get any specific advice that contrast enhancer might help reduce bulb flicker?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #36 of 74 Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 501
We should not begin using a new lamp in Eco/Low, it's best to set the lamp arc by running the first ~100 hours on Normal/High lamp.

There is no guarantee this will prevent lamp flicker but it is a solid preventative measure.

- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #37 of 74 Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I'm getting closer to my purchase date and wanted know if this or anything else has fixed your flicker issues. My first choice is the 40es but the bulb flicker scares the hell out of me and is pushing me to an epson. I'm ok with disabling things like contrast enhancer, motion flow, etc if that will "fix" the issue as I typically leave items like that disabled anyway. However, if that does not correct the problem then the bulb flicker is something I can't deal with.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.
post #38 of 74 Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Did you get any specific advice that contrast enhancer might help reduce bulb flicker?
No sir. Just something I tried based on a gut feeling.
post #39 of 74 Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
I'm getting closer to my purchase date and wanted know if this or anything else has fixed your flicker issues. My first choice is the 40es but the bulb flicker scares the hell out of me and is pushing me to an epson. I'm ok with disabling things like contrast enhancer, motion flow, etc if that will "fix" the issue as I typically leave items like that disabled anyway. However, if that does not correct the problem then the bulb flicker is something I can't deal with.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.
Unfortunately, my bulb flicker issue has continued. With contrazt enhancer off, it only starts after the projector has been on longer than six hours. It stops immediately when I switch to high mode.
post #40 of 74 Old 01-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Unfortunately, my bulb flicker issue has continued. With contrazt enhancer off, it only starts after the projector has been on longer than six hours. It stops immediately when I switch to high mode.
Well, that's a little disheartening. I was reading around on the web that disabling things like film mode or motion flow could eliminate this issue. At any rate, I'll continue to keep my eye on threads until my purchase date.
post #41 of 74 Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony vpl 55es
4 month old.
First lamp flicker began after 12h, This happened 3 times up untill now - lamp is on 60h.
Called My dealer who spoke to Sony, they told me to use the other bulb ( the second one I got with the pj ) and they will send me a new bulb.

I hope this will solve my problem.

BTW

Sony manufactures the projectors in Japan or in China. My pj was made in China,
If you are suffering from this flickering issue it will be interesting to see if your pj was also made in China. This might be relevant to the issue.
post #42 of 74 Old 03-07-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I have 250 hrs on mine and it was made in China. I did run it on high for the first 150 hrs though and no flicker yet (fingers crossed).

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #43 of 74 Old 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I have 250 hrs on mine and it was made in China. I did run it on high for the first 150 hrs though and no flicker yet (fingers crossed).
I find it hard to understand the relationship between using the lamp in "high" mode during the first 100 hours and preventing the flickering issue.
In my opinion it's a faulty lamp, probably nothing can help it.
post #44 of 74 Old 03-07-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1shark View Post
I find it hard to understand the relationship between using the lamp in "high" mode during the first 100 hours and preventing the flickering issue.
In my opinion it's a faulty lamp, probably nothing can help it.
True, but I figured it couldn't hurt to give it 150hrs on high just in case.

post #45 of 74 Old 03-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My Optoma GT750 does something like what is decribed here, very noticable in when there is white on the screen. I figured it was just my projector. If I switch from standard to bright mode it goes away. I usually can get it to stop if I switch to 3d mode and then back to normal mode as well. It also only does it with 24hz signal. 60hz signal from the cable box works fine. The original bulb did it and the bulb I replaced it with does the same thing.
post #46 of 74 Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have flicker on my sonys, but what i find strange, is that it only happen when watching video content movies/series...

When gaming, i counted last time, around 150h of the Witcher 3 and a good 100 more from Fallout 4 and never noticed any flicker, always had lamp on low, but as soon as i put a movie, it started...

Maybe HZ have anything to do with it?
I always game with PC, 60hz..
post #47 of 74 Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post
I also have flicker on my sonys, but what i find strange, is that it only happen when watching video content movies/series...

When gaming, i counted last time, around 150h of the Witcher 3 and a good 100 more from Fallout 4 and never noticed any flicker, always had lamp on low, but as soon as i put a movie, it started...

Is your projector a VPL-HW40ES?

post #48 of 74 Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I can confirm this, my VPL-HW40es only flickers on 24 fps content (movies). I can play games all day with no issues, but can't get through an average movie without having to go to High lamp mode. It happens on my OEM bulb and the bare replacement Phillips I bought as a backup. It happens on 24 fps content from Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and dedicated Blu-Ray player. I get no flicker when gaming on any of the mentioned systems.
post #49 of 74 Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Is your projector a VPL-HW40ES?
It happen on both my hw30 and hw55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense/Net View Post
I can confirm this, my VPL-HW40es only flickers on 24 fps content (movies). I can play games all day...
Nice to know, i plan on getting a ps4 soon (uncharted ) and since some games run at 30fps... Even though its output is 60hz.... Have you tryed any game that is locked at 30fps with no flicker? Can you confirm please?
post #50 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Complete newbie here. I ordered an ht3050 I know the bulb will die eventually etc. However, when replacing the bulb do companies upgrade them? Or do you just hope they keep producing your exact bulb?
post #51 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Nice to know, i plan on getting a ps4 soon (uncharted ) and since some games run at 30fps... Even though its output is 60hz.... Have you tryed any game that is locked at 30fps with no flicker? Can you confirm please?
Infamous Second Son can be locked to 30fps. Most of the time it runs anywhere from 45-60. I've done both an evil and a good play through and never once dealt with flickering. Driveclub is also locked to 30fps and no issues there.
On Xbox One, I've gone through Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max, no issues with flickering.
In my setup there is only ever flickering in 24fps. I can even force it to happen by setting my AVR to output in 24fps no matter the source.
post #52 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm this, my VPL-HW40es only flickers on 24 fps content (movies). I can play games all day with no issues, but can't get through an average movie without having to go to High lamp mode. It happens on my OEM bulb and the bare replacement Phillips I bought as a backup. It happens on 24 fps content from Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and dedicated Blu-Ray player. I get no flicker when gaming on any of the mentioned systems.
There a a couple of 40ES settings that can cause flicker. Go into the menu and make sure the following settings are set as follows:

>MOTION FLOW >> FILM PROJECTION = off
> MOTION FLOW >> MOTION ENHANCER = off or low
>EXPERT SETTING >> FILM MODE = off

I can recreate flicker by having the above settings set up differently with 24p content but set up as above no flicker at all.

post #53 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
There a a couple of 40ES settings that can cause flicker. Go into the menu and make sure the following settings are set as follows:

>MOTION FLOW >> FILM PROJECTION = off
> MOTION FLOW >> MOTION ENHANCER = off or low
>EXPERT SETTING >> FILM MODE = off

I can recreate flicker by having the above settings set up differently with 24p content but set up as above no flicker at all.
I only use motion flow (low) when playing Forza 6, and that's a locked 60fps. It helps clear up that game's usage of motion blur. I never use either film mode or film projection. It still flickers only on 24 fps content.

Film projection mode actually inserts black frames into the video stream, that kind of flicker is a whole different monkey.
post #54 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I only use motion flow (low) when playing Forza 6, and that's a locked 60fps. It helps clear up that game's usage of motion blur. I never use either film mode or film projection. It still flickers only on 24 fps content.

Film projection mode actually inserts black frames into the video stream, that kind of flicker is a whole different monkey.
Wow then it's not the settings. Have you had it a long time and can you exchange it for another or at least get it serviced by Sony? It sounds like it's not the lamp or settings, but a faulty projector. I use mine with a PS4 with games and 24p content Blu-rays and it works great. Sounds like its just a faulty unit.

post #55 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Wow then it's not the settings. Have you had it a long time and can you exchange it for another or at least get it serviced by Sony? It sounds like it's not the lamp or settings, but a faulty projector. I use mine with a PS4 with games and 24p content Blu-rays and it works great. Sounds like its just a faulty unit.
Had it about eight months. 700 hours on the OEM bulb. Unless it starts flickering in High lamp it isn't that big of a deal to me. I'm just reporting my experience so others can make better choices.
I game way more than I watch movies and a little High lamp doesn't hurt anything.
I should also mention that I've tried running with and without a power conditioner and it made no difference.

Last edited by Sense/Net; 03-09-2016 at 07:29 AM.
post #56 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My optima does the same thing. How could his be a faulty unit?
post #57 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
My optima does the same thing. How could his be a faulty unit?
I'm wondering if it's a faulty unit because myself and other 40ES owners who have changed there settings haven't had the same problem. The projector shouldn't flicker under a certain Hz and if it does there could be something wrong with it.

post #58 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's a faulty unit because myself and other 40ES owners who have changed there settings haven't had the same problem. The projector shouldn't flicker under a certain Hz and if it does there could be something wrong with it.
Mine is dlp and Sony is lcos I believe and Both are doing it at 24hz. I thought Mine was bad, but it's likely something else that all projectors have in common. My Guess is something with the bulb at low setting and lower refresh causes this.
post #59 of 74 Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Infamous Second Son can be locked to 30fps. Most of the time it runs anywhere from 45-60. I've done both an evil and a good play through and never once dealt with flickering. Driveclub is also locked to 30fps and no issues there.
On Xbox One, I've gone through Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max, no issues with flickering.
In my setup there is only ever flickering in 24fps. I can even force it to happen by setting my AVR to output in 24fps no matter the source.
Thanks alot.

Quote:
I do think that at 60hz maybe it's still flickering, but as it refresh the screen a lot faster, it's not noticeable at all.
I watched a lot of video content on my first 600h and almost never experienced any flicker at all with 24p, but as i have been on low mode all the time, the lamp may have developed a bad arc...

Overall, as Sense/Net said, for me it's okay, lately i only use it mainly for gaming and when i watch video content, a little hours on high mode, don't think will make any damage.

Also last night i done a test, watching 24p with output at 60hz/low mode and there was no flicker, so definitely hz play something here.
post #60 of 74 Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 PM

The flicker is not related to any mode / frame rate / or HZ..
When it happens it happens even if you don't have any source connected to the PJ.
Just hit menu and you will see the flickers, launch the projector grid and you will see it flickers.
It is definitely the bulb or the power source to the bulb.

the1shark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page