Benq W1070 is a screen really needed?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Benq W1070 is a screen really needed?!

I was going to paint my wall with the mix Sherwin Williams 6260 UNIQUE GRAY which i read on AVS to be a great option instead of a screen but then i ask my friend who does professional rear projection for movies and he said that its so bright that the screen or pain may not be necessary because its so bright and the Lux is 600 for the BenQ and the cinema projectors are at 100.

What do you guys think? I would worry if its just the wall the blacks wouldn't be as good. I also don't know how to do a bespoke calibration.?

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 273
If you want to discuss painted screens, all the experts hang out in the DIY Screen Section. It's not clear to me exactly what your expert friend was trying to tell you. If he's suggesting that you don't need a screen or new paint on your wall because the projector is so bright, it sounds as if he's saying to just use your current wall without painting it. If the current wall is not painted with a completely neutral color it will skew the colors of your projector image and make it inaccurate.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 491
If you can mount the Benq somewhere between 9ft-12ft back from the screen/wall and will be keeping the image around 100-110" (about 7ft-8ft wide) painting the wall "Unique Gray"6260 using a flat/matte finish should be great. It'll put the projector's dimmest setting at 15ftL-18ftL which will tame it down to being slightly brighter than a professional cinema while leaving a decent amount of headroom for dimming from 3D and lamp-aging.

SW UniqueGray flat interior will make a very neutral 0.6gain screen/wall.
If you're a huge 3D fan or will likely be going larger than 110"/8ft-wide, a slightly lighter shade of neutral grey would be a better idea. The Glidden color "SnowField" (OONN 72/000) is a similarly neutral grey that's a hair over 0.7gain...that would be a better choice for the 110"-120" size range.

Do you have an idea of how far back you'll mount the projector and/or what size you'd like the image?
About how far back will the seats be?
Are you an avid 3D fan, a casual 3D user, or a couldn't-care-less about 3D...er.?

Like Dave in Green already mentioned, asking this in the DIY screens section will likely find more answers.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try it without painting, you can always paint later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement