Official BenQ HT2050/W1110 Owner/Settings Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #1171 of 1191 Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are people getting in terms of lamp hours for this pj out of the box? I bought mine last year and have maybe put in maybe 2500 hours and my bulb popped last night. I contacted customer support but since I'm oow, I have to pay to get it sent in, cleaned and bulb replaced. Not very happy with this projector.

PSN ID: Jay_Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1191 Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ok, i've received projector replacement #3 , the original and #2 quickly had blobs/dust issues. So far I have 7hrs on this unit and no dust yet, but the picture has noticably less depth, whites are darker... clarity is lacking... something is just wrong.

I thought maybe placebo so I unboxxed #2 I was about to return and did some A/B comparisons with the exact same picture settings and source, also checked the service menu that the firmware versions were the same between both units. #2 which has noticably beter PQ was produced August 2017, #3 which is dimmer but does not yet have dust issues was produced February 2017.

It wasn't placebo, #2 certainly looks better.

BENQ advised to put the lamp from #2 into #3 and test back, will do that tonight. *sigh*.
post #1173 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinesix View Post
Ok, i've received projector replacement #3 , the original and #2 quickly had blobs/dust issues. So far I have 7hrs on this unit and no dust yet, but the picture has noticably less depth, whites are darker... clarity is lacking... something is just wrong.

I thought maybe placebo so I unboxxed #2 I was about to return and did some A/B comparisons with the exact same picture settings and source, also checked the service menu that the firmware versions were the same between both units. #2 which has noticably beter PQ was produced August 2017, #3 which is dimmer but does not yet have dust issues was produced February 2017.

It wasn't placebo, #2 certainly looks better.

BENQ advised to put the lamp from #2 into #3 and test back, will do that tonight. *sigh*.
I am not too happy with buying this pj or their customer service. My bulb exploded while in use and according to the Benq tech I put 2500 hours into it. Seeing as how I bought it for $800 a little over a year ago, that's just unacceptable. I guess if you fire up your pj once in a blue moon then it's an ok pj, but if you're a pj enthusiast who wants to use it moderately then I'd think twice or cough up the money for the extended warranty.

post #1174 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone use a Darbee Darblet with their ht2050. I like the picture quality but want a little sharper picture. Objects far away in the picture looks blurry to me. I have heard that the Darbee brings out the clarity and contrast.
post #1175 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLM View Post
I am not too happy with buying this pj or their customer service. My bulb exploded while in use and according to the Benq tech I put 2500 hours into it. Seeing as how I bought it for $800 a little over a year ago, that's just unacceptable. I guess if you fire up your pj once in a blue moon then it's an ok pj, but if you're a pj enthusiast who wants to use it moderately then I'd think twice or cough up the money for the extended warranty.
How many hours a day did you use it?? If you had it for 400 days ("a little over a year ago") and used it every day, 2500 total hours is more than 6 hours/day. This might be pushing it a bit for a consumer budget PJ.
Which lamp mode were you using? IIRC the lamp is the same as the one used in the W1070 and I've seen people clock 5000-6000 hours on a lamp.
unretarded likes this.

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
post #1176 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
How many hours a day did you use it?? If you had it for 400 days ("a little over a year ago") and used it every day, 2500 total hours is more than 6 hours/day. This might be pushing it a bit for a consumer budget PJ.
Which lamp mode were you using? IIRC the lamp is the same as the one used in the W1070 and I've seen people clock 5000-6000 hours on a lamp.
Well that would be my expectation as well. The customer service rep I spoke with said it was 2500 hours but honestly, I find that pretty hard to believe. I could not verify since the bulb exploded and did not want to fuss with it anymore. I used it moderately on eco mode in an ambient temp well ventilated room of 70 degrees. Sometimes I wouldn't fire it up for days then watch on the weekends so it wasn't a constant everyday use either.

Also, my previous budget consumer pj had 5600+ hours of everyday use so I don't see why this one could not perform just as well.

post #1177 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hddisplay View Post
Does anyone use a Darbee Darblet with their ht2050. I like the picture quality but want a little sharper picture. Objects far away in the picture looks blurry to me. I have heard that the Darbee brings out the clarity and contrast.
Darbee brings out the clarity, but not quite sure about contrast IMO. To me, it's worth the money, especially if you could pick up a used one. I use it for both the BenQ and my JVC.
post #1178 of 1191 Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

I have almost 3000 hours on mine in approx. 11 months and it seems fine soo far.......maybe a little dimmer than when new...not really sure, still looks great.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #1179 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I have almost 3000 hours on mine in approx. 11 months and it seems fine soo far.......maybe a little dimmer than when new...not really sure, still looks great.
Just curious, have you used 3D at all?

post #1180 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello JSLM,

This projector has an excellent value-for-money, in my opinion.

The lamp exploding issue, seems to be the only problem. It is not uncommon and it's quite annoying if it happens..

It has happened to me also, as i've reported a while back in this forum.

Apart from that issue however, it seems an overall good and robust machine. The other weak point seems to be its color wheel (seems particularly flimsy) but this is a common weak point to all DLP projectors. It is definitely a part that needs changing at around the 10000 hour point if you want to be safe.

Just replace the lamp, clean the inner of the machine carefully and you are good to go. I am not assuming that is "normal" to have the lamp popping, but i suspect that the specific bulb is actually pushed to its limits to achieve its performance.

The 2500 hours mark is just about right for this machine.
I've changed 3 bulbs by now. I change them at about the 2500-3000 hours mark, just to be o the safe side.
unretarded likes this.
post #1181 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLM View Post
Just curious, have you used 3D at all?

Yes, I have about 20 movies in 3d or so.......I would guess around 60 hours of 3d.

The 3d is pretty good, I have no reference other than commercial theaters to compare it to, but I am happy with it in 3d....

Although with my heavy daily use, the bulb thing worries me a little, but I would say for most people, the bulb just gets dimmer and dimmer until it forces you to replace it.

It would be nice to have a solid percentage number for the people who have the bulb pop....1%.......3%........5%..........10%......... 90%............I have no idea......my guess would be under 10%, who knows....it might be 90%.

post #1182 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In my case, the bulb popping incident was quite curious..

The lamp had almost 3000 hours on it, when my wife clapped her hands while we were watching a movie and instantly the bulb went kaboom!

Maybe, it wouldn't have happened without the auditory trigger of clapping her hands. Who knows..

However, I have read in other forums that the same exact bulb (which is shared with the Benq W1070) is rather prone to exploding.
Without actual statistics though, it is quite hard to say for sure.

All in all, I have 8700 hours on that machine and it seems it has some juice in it still. I have changed bubs 3 times so far and the next thing that will need to be changed, will be the color wheel.

Having had experience with other brands in the past (Optoma and Samsung), I would say the Benq W1110 is a fine performer. Definitively better in terms of build quality, compared to the Optoma. Only Samsung surpasses it in terms of build quality but that is because the Samsung was all aluminium inside.

In terms of picture quality, I have no major complaints either. Maybe it is a bit less spectacular that the Optoma, but that is hardy noticeable. Service support is superior to both brands though. Samsung support was appalling and parts availability was non existent. Optoma was a bit better but, was pretty hard to deal with.

Last edited by evonimos; 10-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #1183 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Impressive. Which Lamp Mode are you running?

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
post #1184 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Impressive. Which Lamp Mode are you running?

A split between smart eco and eco..........with about 300 on normal.......

post #1185 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been running it for about 2 hrs a day in normal mode, is it going to die soon?

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
post #1186 of 1191 Old 10-10-2017, 10:41 PM

I have had it for a month and a half @ 150 inches on regular wall. It looks awesome and I have no idea how I am going to make a 150 screen. Why do I not want a walmart 150 pull down screen? Can paint wall due to being in apt and a door bell in the way.

post #1187 of 1191 Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedbimmer View Post
I have had it for a month and a half @ 150 inches on regular wall. It looks awesome and I have no idea how I am going to make a 150 screen. Why do I not want a walmart 150 pull down screen? Can paint wall due to being in apt and a door bell in the way.

Spandex or black out cloth with a wood frame is probably the easiest way to go.
My screen is only 117" - but I used white over black milliskin spandex and it looks great. Could have easily gone bigger with the fabric. I did the spandex because it is acoustically transparent and I have my speakers behind it.
unretarded likes this.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #1188 of 1191 Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I used Carls place pro grey..........it just tacks to the wall, about as easy as it gets, 144 diagonal.......

I am getting ready to do spandex because I want the speakers in the proper locations behind the screen.

post #1189 of 1191 Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 PM

There is a door bell in my way and it is about 1 and a half inches to 2, so I need a screen, that also makes me wonder whether that 2 inches will make me lose the 150inches I have now. I am going to do something with no borders and wrap material around the frame, havent seen what others look like wrapped all the way round.

post #1190 of 1191 Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Yesterday I turned on the projector and left the room for a moment. After a while, I heard an explosion and when I returned to the room, there was a lot of smell and no image. The red lamp indicator light was on. After a while I turned it on again, and throw a lot of dust from the fans and more smell, but the lamp turned on and worked for about an hour, then turned off again.

My question is if the lamp had exploited or something else had happened, because when I try to turn it on it shows the image for a while, but then it goes out.

Thank you!
post #1191 of 1191 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I received a refurb HT2050 directly from Benq. The first once I received had a humming/light grinding noise from either the fan or color wheel and I called for a return and replacement. The replaced arrived today and is much better. It is showing 20 hours on the bulb compared to the 288 from the other one. I previously had a W1070.

I got around to calibrating it with HCR and a Spyder5 sensor. I too had issues finding where to adjust the grey scale. I finally had to unlock the ISF night settings to be able to do this. (up, down, up, down, left, right)

The strange thing is brillant color needed to be enabled in order to access the color temperature menu. I personally don't like brillant color but was able to improve the grey scale. If I turned off brillant color it impacted the grey scale but a bit so I am leaving brillant color on for the time being. It took be awhile to figure out how to change the colors since moving the sliders in the CCA menu didn't do anything. I had to make adjustments and then hit apply for it to take and then re read the measurement. I never could get green to react decently and the value would change when the menu was pulled up for some reason. I just put it back at default for green. I need to tweak the 3d menu settings and I just carried over the ones from 2d for now.

Brillant color: on
Gamma: 2.3 (measured close to 2.2 where I like it)

Brightness: 51 was clipping low black
Contrast: 44 like others state, the red and a bit of blue can't keep up and need to reduce contrast to compensate
Sharpness: 7
color temperature ISF 1
Rgain: 113
Ggain: 100
Bgain: 108
ROff: 252
GOff: 256
BOff: 259

below are the not perfect CCA settings but closer than default for me.

CCA
Desired Red
y 333
gain 1000

Desired Green (default)
y 585
gain 1000

Desired Blue
y 70
Gain 1000

Desired Cyan
y 370
gain 1000

Desired Magenta
y 161
gain 1000

Desired Yellow
y 508
gain 1000

I wish I had access to the color temperature settings for user 1 to keep things simple like with the W1070. What is strange is that you can access the color temperature fine tune with a 3d source.

Now I need to put some real world content to the test and spend more real time with it.
Just wanted to call out how helpful the above post was in helping me get a better picture out of my device. However, I also wanted to state that the color temperature ISF 1 will turn your yellows green.
I checked it while playing Rick and Morty last night. I use cartoons to color match as they are generally more standard in the colors they use.
I compare the cartoon playing against pictures on Google Images and well as watching the cartoon on as many other devices as possible (other TV's , PC , mobile phone etc) and then I get an idea if the color on the projector is accurate which is, however, I noticed that the above settings ISF setting was giving greens rather than yellows.

To his defense Batchelor did say in his post "Now I need to put some real world content to the test and spend more real time with it." so my guess is that he's also worked out the issue with the greens and yellows.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks and given an update on the settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
HT2050/W1110

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page