AVS Forum banner

Official BenQ HT2050/W1110 Owner/Settings Thread

375K views 2K replies 320 participants last post by  unretarded 
#1 ·
Noticed there was no "Official" thread for the HT2050/W1110. If there is another place for this please let me know.

BenQ HT2050 Projector Specifications
(show metric units)
MSRP(USD): $799 Street Price(USD): $799
Warranty: 1 Year
Replacement Lamp Model Number: 5J.JEE05.0010
Brightness: 2,200 Lumens
Color Light Output: **
Contrast(Full On/Off): 15,000:1
Auto Iris: **
Native Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)

Video Modes: 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60 576i, 576p, 480p480i
Data Modes: MAX 1920x1200
3D Modes: Full HD 3D
Digital Inputs: HDMI
HDBaseT: No
Max Power: 350 Watts
Voltage: 100V - 240V
Size(inches) (HxWxD): 4.8 x 14.9 x 10.9
Weight: 7.3 lbs
Lamp Life(Full Power): 3,500 hours
Lamp Life(eco-mode): 6,000 hours
Display Type: DLP (1)
Color Wheel Segs: 6
Color Wheel Speed: 6x
Standard Zoom Lens: 1.30:1
Standard Lens Focus: Manual
Optional Lenses: No
Lens Shift: Vertical
Throw Dist (feet): 4.4 - 19.6
Image Size(inches): 40.4 - 234.7
Throw Ratio(D:W): 1.15:1 - 1.50:1
Audible Noise: 29.0 dB
Eco-Mode: 27.0 dB
Speakers: 10.0 W Mono
Digital Keystone: Vertical

Special Features: RS232 Port, USB Port, Full HD 3D

Projector Central Review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-HT3050-HT2050-projector-review.htm

See less See more
#4 ·
Projector Central measured 33.1 ms on the HT2050 for input lag. Supposedly the 3050 has a firmware update coming out that helps reduduce it's lag(49.7ms!) but not sure if there will be one for the 2050 since it's already fairly low and good enough for most games.

#5 ·
How will this project fair against a gray screen, lighter walls, and a white ceiling in 3D? I found a 92" fixed frame screen for cheap(65$), but it is gray. I'm told brightness suffers on gray screens, and with 3D does this projector have enough to make it worth getting that screen so cheap?

#7 · (Edited)
My projector arrived today and it's really, really great. I played Shadow of Mordor and I couldn't feel any response time lag. It's amazing.

The projector is also as bright as e.g. Infocus 116 with 2700 lumens (if not actually brigther!)

The only thing I noticed that fan on the left side of the projector is not spinning at all under any mode (normal, eco, smarteco) and two other fans spin normally.

The fan / fans also make "ticking" noise.

#8 ·
I got mine all mounted and aligned last night. Watched Avatar and about 1/2 of Cloverfield. Avatar was great as to be expected with it's superior image quality, but what blew me away was how good Cloverfield looks! It was really impressive considering the movie was shot on a "Handicam".

For Naitsyrk I believe that fan is temperature sensitive so will only turn on when needed (like shutdown) but I'm not 100% sure.

#10 · (Edited)
I contacted BenQ about it so I want to be certain, it's an intake air vent there so I'm a little confused about it.

Fans also make this ticking noise that is not noticeable at all, but I thought it's worth mentioning. :)

Of course quality of this projector is high, bough Hobbit in 3D as it's one of the movies that's got 48 FPS 3D movie thing and I must admit it's amazing. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Obviously, no one should also forget to NOT to turn it on after the projector been turned off (Wait 20 minutes), I did that about 3 times and then I realised I did something wrong because it shortens the lifespan of the lamp. (I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to projectors, but I enjoy them a lot)

#9 ·
I got mine all mounted and aligned last night. Watched Avatar and about 1/2 of Cloverfield. Avatar was great as to be expected with it's superior image quality, but what blew me away was how good Cloverfield looks! It was really impressive considering the movie was shot on a "Handicam".

For Naitsyrk I believe that fan is temperature sensitive so will only turn on when needed (like shutdown) but I'm not 100% sure.

#16 ·
I just got my HT2050 set up yesterday, projected ~110" onto crappy wallboard painted white with random off-white splotches and vertical lines/depressions running the height of the screen every 6-12". In theory it should look horrible, but we had a small showing last night where we watched Birdman off Bluray and everyone there agreed it was the best @home film experience they've had. I even realized, after the fact, that the rear surround speakers weren't even attached!

Very happy w/this little projector. I can't wait to see what the performance will be once we get a proper screen. Will look forward to calibration advice once that happens.

#17 ·
I just got my HT2050 set up yesterday, projected ~110" onto crappy wallboard painted white with random off-white splotches and vertical lines/depressions running the height of the screen every 6-12". In theory it should look horrible, but we had a small showing last night where we watched Birdman off Bluray and everyone there agreed it was the best @home film experience they've had. I even realized, after the fact, that the rear surround speakers weren't even attached!

Very happy w/this little projector. I can't wait to see what the performance will be once we get a proper screen. Will look forward to calibration advice once that happens.
I used my HT2050 projected onto a wall for a while, before I built my screen. My walls are a off white/tan color, and I went into the menu and there is a section where I could select yellow wall. IMO the colors looked a lot better after I did that.

#18 ·
I returned my projector (just in case, better be safe than sorry) and I'll be getting a replacement. Apart from the ticking noise and the fan on the left side of the projector not spinning, the image quality was amazing and I tested Hobbit in 3D with some glasses I purchased on Amazon for 20 bucks and I have to admit it's great, just like in real cinema. I cannot wait to get my replacement so I can keep enjoying this projector.

#20 ·
I am really agonizing over which projector I want to go with, the Ben Q 2050 or the 3050 rec 709 model. Is the extra money for a rec 709
worth the difference in picture quality? Or will I overall not notice the difference all that much? :) I wish their was a place I could go to see both projectors side by side to see if the difference justifies more money.

Did any of you 2050 ben q owners struggle with the same decision?

#23 ·
Customer support replied to me. Intake fan spins only when in High Altitude mode. There are two fans on the right side that are enough in normal circumstances, this makes the projector quieter as only TWO fans are spinning. The noise was caused by the colorwheel and apparently it's normal. I mentioned that it was quiet, and it wasn't bothering me but I was concerned it could be something serious. Looks like I returned a projector that was most definitely fine. BenQ should explain stuff like this in their documentation to avoid confusion. Either way, I will be getting a replacement which is nice since I know much more about this HT2050 projector.

I've also seen a W1070 in action, and I have to admit that this projector is about 15-20% better than W1070 in my opinion. The colours are very nice, quiet operation, image barely changes under normal, economic or smart economic mode (can't really see it), and the first aftermarket 3D glasses I bought worked perfectly with this projector. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016D38OT6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

3D is incredible. I had a problem at first to set up the 3D as 3D in HT2050 is activated automatically and I've been using PS3 as Blu-Ray player. In the end, everything worked and the 3D glasses synced with the projector.

The overall build is pretty decent and solid.

The only complain: BenQ customer service is one of the crappiest I've ever encountered.

#944 ·
3D is incredible. I had a problem at first to set up the 3D as 3D in HT2050 is activated automatically and I've been using PS3 as Blu-Ray player. In the end, everything worked and the 3D glasses synced with the projector.
I just got my HT2050 which I intend to use mostly to show 3D movies outside. I'd like to use my PS3 as the source so we can play games on it also. I spent a couple of hours messing around with settings trying to make it work with no luck. I just kept getting the message that the either the player or projector couldn't do 3D. I tried it with a Sony Bluray player using the same HDMI cable and had it up an running in about 2 minutes.

Can anyone help me out with the right combination of settings for the HT2050 and the PS3?

thanks

tom

#24 ·
Customer support replied to me. Intake fan spins only when in High Altitude mode. There are two fans on the right side that are enough in normal circumstances, this makes the projector quieter as only TWO fans are spinning. The noise was caused by the colorwheel and apparently it's normal. I mentioned that it was quiet, and it wasn't bothering me but I was concerned it could be something serious. Looks like I returned a projector that was most definitely fine. BenQ should explain stuff like this in their documentation to avoid confusion. Either way, I will be getting a replacement which is nice since I know much more about this HT2050 projector.

I've also seen a W1070 in action, and I have to admit that this projector is about 15-20% better than W1070 in my opinion. The colours are very nice, quiet operation, image barely changes under normal, economic or smart economic mode (can't really see it), and the first aftermarket 3D glasses I bought worked perfectly with this projector. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016D38OT6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The overall build is pretty decent and solid.

The only complain: BenQ customer service is one of the crappiest I've ever encountered.

Accidental double post (Sorry!)

#25 ·
Hey all, I've decided on the HT2050 for our family room in the basement, but I had a couple questions. My ceilings are only 7'6" high and the room is 13' wide. Using the calculator on Projector Central it shows my screen size (120" diagonal) and throw distance (11' 4"), but it doesn't show projector placement. Is this enough for a low profile ceiling mount or a tray mount, near ceiling level, off the back wall? Being in Denver I'm going to utilize the high altitude setting, do you know how much louder this makes the unit? Also, seeing as it only has 2 HDMI ports has this been a problem for you all? I'd have my PS4 hooked up as my Blu-Ray and DVD Player; however, I also have an Nvidia Shield TV, and Amazon Fire TV I'd like to keep hooked up as well. Any solutions for keeping multiple devices hooked up to it?

Thank you,

#27 ·
This projector is pretty short throw, but it's not a short throw projector. You can control the screen size with ease. There are two HDMI inputs, Yellow Video input and Component input (the one you used to plug your PS2 to a TV) and VGA. In this price range, I don't think you'll find anything with more than two HDMI inputs. You can obviously unplug other device and then plug another. Perhaps you could also buy HDMI input extender to create more HDMI inputs, but I don't know what impact it will have on your projection quality (if any).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-SPLITTE...ord-extension-DVI-TO-HDMI-CABLE-/261645407961

#26 ·
^ ^ ^
Yes, but it's totally dependent on how high you wish to mount the screen above the floor, and how thick your screen frame is. Assuming your screen frame is 4" thick, about the highest you will be able to place the screen is somewhere around 2 feet above the floor (24 inches). You can use fudge factors a little but the image may not be perfectly square if you do (though you can use the screen's black border as a fudge factor to hide any non-square image if you end up running out of room. So I'd say yes it will work, even though just barely.

I would probably go with a smaller screen (110") and move the seating closer, then you have more wiggle room in the mounting and screen position above floor.

#28 ·
I took some measurements last night and yes, it seems like 110" would be the best setup. It would allow me to keep the screen I believe 2' off the ground and 6" from the ceiling.

I'm going to tinker with the CC speaker and see if I can make a cut out in the wall and mount it behind the screen.

We're going to remodel the basement in 2 years so for now I'm going to be content with the short throw and weird layout of the family room. It is divided into two rooms that are long and narrow. The previous owner had the second room setup as a listening room for his records.

#29 ·
You can tell by using the projector calculator in my signature, it calculates distance to ceiling and screen to floor automatically as you change the screen size. I just finished entering most of the Benq's mounting data and lumens. It's a pre-release software, but it should work fine for the Benq's now I believe.

#34 ·
I liked the User 1 default settings then used the Disney WOW calibration disk to dial in the Brightness, Contrast and Gamma. I'm blown away with the image quality.

One thing that caught be off guard was the "grain" in the image on certain Blu Rays. I had to do some research and found out this is actually a GOOD thing since those movies were shot on film there should be grain as it's part of the "art" of film. I had never seen this detail on my Blu Rays before and have come to appreciate it!

#33 ·
So I'm a happy new 2050 owner :) I appreciate the help I got previously in choosing my projector. I simply slapped this on the wall just to see what was up, using my ps3 just because it was downstairs and easily accessible.. My ps4 and pc is in the room that the main setuo will go. But I'm really pleased and this isn't even on my silver screen yet, just really impressed with out of the box colors and ease of use overall.

Attachments

#35 ·
Just looked at the pic I posted above on my phone here and not sure if it's lookin blurry a bit for others but looked blurry to me, and I rechecked the original pic which is crisp as it gets. Not sure if it's how my note 5 is displaying it or if the resizing messed it up a bit but if anyone checked that and it's not crisp let me know, just curious. Because I couldn't believe how sharp and crisp the image was, just gorgeous

#37 ·
Bigger the better man. Go for the 110, absolutely gorgeous picture that I had on the wall at about 120 inches. But I expanded it further even tho it wasn't fitting the wall and focused and the quality of pic never degraded, it's incredible something this solid is as affordable as it is.

#38 ·
The only thing I want to do with my projector is to protect it from dust and scratches so I'm thinking to buy like a plastic self adhesive film that can be peeled off if necessary etc.
My "Friend" peeled of the factory sealed transparent one so I must get a new one. I like to keep my things as new as possible.

#39 ·
So I just fired it up last night again to get the feel of it all since I still have such a massive amount of work to redo my game room, but I mean holy God, I can't get over how this is simply on my basic wall, so sharp, so much color... It's just spectacular. I am so happy to of entered the world of projectors. Just dying to get it on my silver ticket.

Attachments

#42 ·
So probably a stupid question. Just got mine and, well, how do you get your OTA broadcasts to the projector? Got the 110" Silver Ticket screen setup, don't buy this screen fyi...while nice I had to cut 6 holes for the snaps since they forgot, 5 of the plastic snaps broke, 1 of the rods was broke when I opened it up. All required pretty simple fixes; however, I just find it asinine you have to rig a brand new screen.

Anyways, everything is hooked up but I'm at a lost as to how to get our OTA signal to the TV. Is this what I need? I don't really need the recording aspect of it, just something to go from COAX to HDMI.

#47 ·
Also went for the 2050 and love it.

I'm torn between a giant fixed frame screen or manual pull-down. Don't want an electric one. I live in an apartment and feel a giant fixed frame screen would look a bit odd. Any thoughts on good manual pull downs and do they still look good with the "school room" look?

Great picture though. I'm finding Vivid is where it's at for me. Just can't get into Cinema Modes on any tv or projector so far. Don't get it. Vivid just has the pop, with the skin tones slightlyyyy over, but I can easily look past that tiny detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.