Official BenQ HT2050/W1110 Owner/Settings Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #1 of 1191 Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Official BenQ HT2050/W1110 Owner/Settings Thread

Noticed there was no "Official" thread for the HT2050/W1110. If there is another place for this please let me know.

BenQ HT2050 Projector Specifications
(show metric units)
MSRP(USD): $799 Street Price(USD): $799
Warranty: 1 Year
Replacement Lamp Model Number: 5J.JEE05.0010
Brightness: 2,200 Lumens
Color Light Output: **
Contrast(Full On/Off): 15,000:1
Auto Iris: **
Native Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)

Video Modes: 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60 576i, 576p, 480p480i
Data Modes: MAX 1920x1200
3D Modes: Full HD 3D
Digital Inputs: HDMI
HDBaseT: No
Max Power: 350 Watts
Voltage: 100V - 240V
Size(inches) (HxWxD): 4.8 x 14.9 x 10.9
Weight: 7.3 lbs
Lamp Life(Full Power): 3,500 hours
Lamp Life(eco-mode): 6,000 hours
Display Type: DLP (1)
Color Wheel Segs: 6
Color Wheel Speed: 6x
Standard Zoom Lens: 1.30:1
Standard Lens Focus: Manual
Optional Lenses: No
Lens Shift: Vertical
Throw Dist (feet): 4.4 - 19.6
Image Size(inches): 40.4 - 234.7
Throw Ratio(D:W): 1.15:1 - 1.50:1
Audible Noise: 29.0 dB
Eco-Mode: 27.0 dB
Speakers: 10.0 W Mono
Digital Keystone: Vertical

Special Features: RS232 Port, USB Port, Full HD 3D

Projector Central Review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor-review.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1191 Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be receiving mine today from UPS. Looking forward to getting it setup and sharing my experience. Does anyone have recommendations on which video settings are out of box the "best". I won't be able to calibrate with a disc for a few days.
post #3 of 1191 Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm look at getting this projector. I am looking forward to knowing about the responses, and input lag to see if they are as good as the W1070. This will be my first projector for my new home theater.

post #4 of 1191 Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenphlux View Post
I'm look at getting this projector. I am looking forward to knowing about the responses, and input lag to see if they are as good as the W1070. This will be my first projector for my new home theater.
Projector Central measured 33.1 ms on the HT2050 for input lag. Supposedly the 3050 has a firmware update coming out that helps reduduce it's lag(49.7ms!) but not sure if there will be one for the 2050 since it's already fairly low and good enough for most games.
post #5 of 1191 Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM

Liked: 10
How will this project fair against a gray screen, lighter walls, and a white ceiling in 3D? I found a 92" fixed frame screen for cheap(65$), but it is gray. I'm told brightness suffers on gray screens, and with 3D does this projector have enough to make it worth getting that screen so cheap?
post #6 of 1191 Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I believe gray screens are good when there is a lot of ambient light. So it shouldn't be a problem.
post #7 of 1191 Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My projector arrived today and it's really, really great. I played Shadow of Mordor and I couldn't feel any response time lag. It's amazing.

The projector is also as bright as e.g. Infocus 116 with 2700 lumens (if not actually brigther!)

The only thing I noticed that fan on the left side of the projector is not spinning at all under any mode (normal, eco, smarteco) and two other fans spin normally.

The fan / fans also make "ticking" noise.

Last edited by TheNaitsyrk; 01-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.
post #8 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I got mine all mounted and aligned last night. Watched Avatar and about 1/2 of Cloverfield. Avatar was great as to be expected with it's superior image quality, but what blew me away was how good Cloverfield looks! It was really impressive considering the movie was shot on a "Handicam".

For Naitsyrk I believe that fan is temperature sensitive so will only turn on when needed (like shutdown) but I'm not 100% sure.
post #9 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

I got mine all mounted and aligned last night. Watched Avatar and about 1/2 of Cloverfield. Avatar was great as to be expected with it's superior image quality, but what blew me away was how good Cloverfield looks! It was really impressive considering the movie was shot on a "Handicam".

For Naitsyrk I believe that fan is temperature sensitive so will only turn on when needed (like shutdown) but I'm not 100% sure.
post #10 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post

I contacted BenQ about it so I want to be certain, it's an intake air vent there so I'm a little confused about it.

Fans also make this ticking noise that is not noticeable at all, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Of course quality of this projector is high, bough Hobbit in 3D as it's one of the movies that's got 48 FPS 3D movie thing and I must admit it's amazing. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Obviously, no one should also forget to NOT to turn it on after the projector been turned off (Wait 20 minutes), I did that about 3 times and then I realised I did something wrong because it shortens the lifespan of the lamp. (I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to projectors, but I enjoy them a lot)

Last edited by TheNaitsyrk; 01-14-2016 at 01:41 PM.
post #11 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaitsyrk View Post
I contacted BenQ about it so I want to be certain, it's an intake air vent there so I'm a little confused about it.

Fans also make this ticking noise that is not noticeable at all, but I thought it's worth mentioning.
So what did they say about the fan? Should it be turning or just comes on when needed?
post #12 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So what did they say about the fan? Should it be turning or just comes on when needed?
They haven't replied yet (Which is strange), but I will be waiting and update you and everyone in this thread once I get a reply from them.
post #13 of 1191 Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Out of pure curiosity, when you're literally next to the projector, next to the fans on the right side, can you hear some sort of unusual noise, like ticking noise that fans could possibly make? I'm just wondering it's just me. The noise will be quiet.

UPDATE:
I think it's not the fan, it's the colorwheel that makes this noise. Is this normal? I found a video that shows similar noise, but mine is slightly quieter:

Last edited by TheNaitsyrk; 01-14-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #14 of 1191 Old 01-15-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Out of pure curiosity, when you're literally next to the projector, next to the fans on the right side, can you hear some sort of unusual noise, like ticking noise that fans could possibly make? I'm just wondering it's just me. The noise will be quiet.

UPDATE:
I think it's not the fan, it's the colorwheel that makes this noise. Is this normal? I found a video that shows similar noise, but mine is slightly quieter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbhOmaGcsJA
Interesting... I'll have to check tonight to see if mine makes the same noise.
post #15 of 1191 Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Interesting... I'll have to check tonight to see if mine makes the same noise.
I love everything so far about my HT2050, so I am NOT checking for that noise!
post #16 of 1191 Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got my HT2050 set up yesterday, projected ~110" onto crappy wallboard painted white with random off-white splotches and vertical lines/depressions running the height of the screen every 6-12". In theory it should look horrible, but we had a small showing last night where we watched Birdman off Bluray and everyone there agreed it was the best @home film experience they've had. I even realized, after the fact, that the rear surround speakers weren't even attached!

Very happy w/this little projector. I can't wait to see what the performance will be once we get a proper screen. Will look forward to calibration advice once that happens.
post #17 of 1191 Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by db122 View Post
I just got my HT2050 set up yesterday, projected ~110" onto crappy wallboard painted white with random off-white splotches and vertical lines/depressions running the height of the screen every 6-12". In theory it should look horrible, but we had a small showing last night where we watched Birdman off Bluray and everyone there agreed it was the best @home film experience they've had. I even realized, after the fact, that the rear surround speakers weren't even attached!

Very happy w/this little projector. I can't wait to see what the performance will be once we get a proper screen. Will look forward to calibration advice once that happens.
I used my HT2050 projected onto a wall for a while, before I built my screen. My walls are a off white/tan color, and I went into the menu and there is a section where I could select yellow wall. IMO the colors looked a lot better after I did that.
post #18 of 1191 Old 01-15-2016, 05:59 PM

I returned my projector (just in case, better be safe than sorry) and I'll be getting a replacement. Apart from the ticking noise and the fan on the left side of the projector not spinning, the image quality was amazing and I tested Hobbit in 3D with some glasses I purchased on Amazon for 20 bucks and I have to admit it's great, just like in real cinema. I cannot wait to get my replacement so I can keep enjoying this projector.
post #19 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I returned my projector (just in case, better be safe than sorry) and I'll be getting a replacement. Apart from the ticking noise and the fan on the left side of the projector not spinning, the image quality was amazing and I tested Hobbit in 3D with some glasses I purchased on Amazon for 20 bucks and I have to admit it's great, just like in real cinema. I cannot wait to get my replacement so I can keep enjoying this projector.
My projector has the same, the fan on the left side is not spinning and havnt since I got it new. Maybe I should get a replacement too then :/
post #20 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really agonizing over which projector I want to go with, the Ben Q 2050 or the 3050 rec 709 model. Is the extra money for a rec 709
worth the difference in picture quality? Or will I overall not notice the difference all that much? I wish their was a place I could go to see both projectors side by side to see if the difference justifies more money.

Did any of you 2050 ben q owners struggle with the same decision?
post #21 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljonz View Post
My projector has the same, the fan on the left side is not spinning and havnt since I got it new. Maybe I should get a replacement too then :/
It's starting to sound more possible that the fan on the left side may only spin up as required if the projector gets too hot with only the other fans running. One of the 2050 owners should check on this with BenQ before everyone starts sending their projectors back for something that may in fact not be a problem. A clue might come from putting a 2050 on its high altitude setting to see if that starts the fan spinning.
post #22 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Official BenQ HT2050/W1110 Owner/Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's starting to sound more possible that the fan on the left side may only spin up as required if the projector gets too hot with only the other fans running. One of the 2050 owners should check on this with BenQ before everyone starts sending their projectors back for something that may in fact not be a problem. A clue might come from putting a 2050 on its high altitude setting to see if that starts the fan spinning.

This.

If you check threads on previous BenQ models, you'll see that the projector will actually shut itself off if a fan is malfunctioning.

'Malfunctioning' even means that if one of the fans is actually spinning - but spinning slower than expected (I believe the threshold was 10%-20% on the W1070) - it'll still shut itself down; with the combination of lights on the chassis flashing red according to which fan was misbehaving.

This particular projector has received quite a bit of acclaim for its relatively quiet operation: spinning fans unnecessarily is not how quiet operation is achieved

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #23 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM

Customer support replied to me. Intake fan spins only when in High Altitude mode. There are two fans on the right side that are enough in normal circumstances, this makes the projector quieter as only TWO fans are spinning. The noise was caused by the colorwheel and apparently it's normal. I mentioned that it was quiet, and it wasn't bothering me but I was concerned it could be something serious. Looks like I returned a projector that was most definitely fine. BenQ should explain stuff like this in their documentation to avoid confusion. Either way, I will be getting a replacement which is nice since I know much more about this HT2050 projector.

I've also seen a W1070 in action, and I have to admit that this projector is about 15-20% better than W1070 in my opinion. The colours are very nice, quiet operation, image barely changes under normal, economic or smart economic mode (can't really see it), and the first aftermarket 3D glasses I bought worked perfectly with this projector. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

3D is incredible. I had a problem at first to set up the 3D as 3D in HT2050 is activated automatically and I've been using PS3 as Blu-Ray player. In the end, everything worked and the 3D glasses synced with the projector.

The overall build is pretty decent and solid.

The only complain: BenQ customer service is one of the crappiest I've ever encountered.
post #24 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 PM

Customer support replied to me. Intake fan spins only when in High Altitude mode. There are two fans on the right side that are enough in normal circumstances, this makes the projector quieter as only TWO fans are spinning. The noise was caused by the colorwheel and apparently it's normal. I mentioned that it was quiet, and it wasn't bothering me but I was concerned it could be something serious. Looks like I returned a projector that was most definitely fine. BenQ should explain stuff like this in their documentation to avoid confusion. Either way, I will be getting a replacement which is nice since I know much more about this HT2050 projector.

I've also seen a W1070 in action, and I have to admit that this projector is about 15-20% better than W1070 in my opinion. The colours are very nice, quiet operation, image barely changes under normal, economic or smart economic mode (can't really see it), and the first aftermarket 3D glasses I bought worked perfectly with this projector. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

3D is incredible. I had a problem at first to set up the 3D as 3D in HT2050 is activated automatically and I've been using PS3 as Blu-Ray player. In the end, everything worked and the 3D glasses synced with the projector.

The overall build is pretty decent and solid.

The only complain: BenQ customer service is one of the crappiest I've ever encountered.

Accidental double post (Sorry!)
post #25 of 1191 Old 01-16-2016, 10:02 PM

Hey all, I've decided on the HT2050 for our family room in the basement, but I had a couple questions. My ceilings are only 7'6" high and the room is 13' wide. Using the calculator on Projector Central it shows my screen size (120" diagonal) and throw distance (11' 4"), but it doesn't show projector placement. Is this enough for a low profile ceiling mount or a tray mount, near ceiling level, off the back wall? Being in Denver I'm going to utilize the high altitude setting, do you know how much louder this makes the unit? Also, seeing as it only has 2 HDMI ports has this been a problem for you all? I'd have my PS4 hooked up as my Blu-Ray and DVD Player; however, I also have an Nvidia Shield TV, and Amazon Fire TV I'd like to keep hooked up as well. Any solutions for keeping multiple devices hooked up to it?

Thank you,
post #26 of 1191 Old 01-17-2016, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
^ ^ ^
Yes, but it's totally dependent on how high you wish to mount the screen above the floor, and how thick your screen frame is. Assuming your screen frame is 4" thick, about the highest you will be able to place the screen is somewhere around 2 feet above the floor (24 inches). You can use fudge factors a little but the image may not be perfectly square if you do (though you can use the screen's black border as a fudge factor to hide any non-square image if you end up running out of room. So I'd say yes it will work, even though just barely.

I would probably go with a smaller screen (110") and move the seating closer, then you have more wiggle room in the mounting and screen position above floor.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #27 of 1191 Old 01-17-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expoav View Post
Hey all, I've decided on the HT2050 for our family room in the basement, but I had a couple questions. My ceilings are only 7'6" high and the room is 13' wide. Using the calculator on Projector Central it shows my screen size (120" diagonal) and throw distance (11' 4"), but it doesn't show projector placement. Is this enough for a low profile ceiling mount or a tray mount, near ceiling level, off the back wall? Being in Denver I'm going to utilize the high altitude setting, do you know how much louder this makes the unit? Also, seeing as it only has 2 HDMI ports has this been a problem for you all? I'd have my PS4 hooked up as my Blu-Ray and DVD Player; however, I also have an Nvidia Shield TV, and Amazon Fire TV I'd like to keep hooked up as well. Any solutions for keeping multiple devices hooked up to it?

Thank you,
This projector is pretty short throw, but it's not a short throw projector. You can control the screen size with ease. There are two HDMI inputs, Yellow Video input and Component input (the one you used to plug your PS2 to a TV) and VGA. In this price range, I don't think you'll find anything with more than two HDMI inputs. You can obviously unplug other device and then plug another. Perhaps you could also buy HDMI input extender to create more HDMI inputs, but I don't know what impact it will have on your projection quality (if any).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVI-SPLITTER...-/261645407961
post #28 of 1191 Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 AM

I took some measurements last night and yes, it seems like 110" would be the best setup. It would allow me to keep the screen I believe 2' off the ground and 6" from the ceiling.

I'm going to tinker with the CC speaker and see if I can make a cut out in the wall and mount it behind the screen.

We're going to remodel the basement in 2 years so for now I'm going to be content with the short throw and weird layout of the family room. It is divided into two rooms that are long and narrow. The previous owner had the second room setup as a listening room for his records.
post #29 of 1191 Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by expoav View Post
I took some measurements last night and yes, it seems like 110" would be the best setup. It would allow me to keep the screen I believe 2' off the ground and 6" from the ceiling.

I'm going to tinker with the CC speaker and see if I can make a cut out in the wall and mount it behind the screen.

We're going to remodel the basement in 2 years so for now I'm going to be content with the short throw and weird layout of the family room. It is divided into two rooms that are long and narrow. The previous owner had the second room setup as a listening room for his records.
You can tell by using the projector calculator in my signature, it calculates distance to ceiling and screen to floor automatically as you change the screen size. I just finished entering most of the Benq's mounting data and lumens. It's a pre-release software, but it should work fine for the Benq's now I believe.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #30 of 1191 Old 01-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
My suggestion is to run a single HDMI cable to the projector and purchase a HDMI switch or get a reciever that will do it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
HT2050/W1110

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page