AVS Forum banner

Should I use Projector or TV?

1K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  muzz 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm developing my basement which got a big 22'x13'7" theater room. I'm struggling between a 80" big screen TV and a projector. The most affordable 80" TV would be the Vizio M80, I don't want to go smaller than 80" and the price for any bigger ones are way out of my budget. Projector seems cheaper and I can get a 100" or even bigger screen. But the life of lamp and picture quality are major concerns to me. Any suggestions guys? Thanks a lot.

Jeff

#2 ·
Picture quality is top notch and bulb life isn't really much to worry about. Bulbs are good for 2-3000 hours. That is a lot of movies. I am using a Panasonic AE4000u from 2009 and am still on my first bulb. If you don't mind requiring a dark room then go for it. Once you get that 100" screen up you will think you were silly for considering an 80" tv.

#3 ·
I would get a projector and try it on a blank wall. If you don't like the image, take it back and get the TV.

To sell the wife, I started with a cheap SVGA projector over my TV in the family room like so. There is no comparison between my 70 inch and even the cheap SVGA. A TV is a TV and a projector is a theater in your home. :cool:

Attachments

#5 ·
Projector not even close to me. That was my choice 9 years ago and never once have I considered going back. Started at 96", now I'm at 150". It's my primary viewing device. I currently have a grey screen and a short throw and watching regular tv with some lights on isn't an issue.

#6 ·
Asking here is like preaching to the choir. I don’t think you would get a no unless you told us it was your bathroom and the biggest you could go is 32” and even then you might get a few telling you to go for it.

I will try and be honest as I can in telling you to go for it also but there are times and places a projector won’t be right.

You said basement that is a big huge plus because we all know basements normally don’t have a lot of windows. You said developing your basement and that leads us to think you can make changes to make front projection even better, another plus. Then you called it a Theater Room a huge plus again. The word Theater brings to mind a room with one or more rows of comfortable seats to sit down and watch movies. If all the above is the case you are 100% good to go with a projector and you will be in the top 25% of people that for sure should have a projector.

Mostly we hear I have a living room and one wall is glass facing south, the room is all white and the wife says no painting, I want to be able to watch during the day with all the lights on. Then we go hmmmm, ya go for it front projection should work ok. :D

#7 ·
I love the folks that come on here and say they have walls of windows, where they don't wanna use curtains, and sky lights, lotsa skylights!
White walls and ceiling, above the fireplace....all the stuff that is bad for FPJ.
Awesome rooms...except for projection.
Pj in basements are a no brainer, especially with controlled lighting, aka spots facing down instead of at screen.

#16 ·
Projector vs ambient light

At what point do you stop considering a projector? I am in the same debate as the OP (80+inch tv versus projector), however I will have white ceilings and this is an open family room area in my basement with one side wall containing a north facing window and sliding patio door. If 50% of viewing will be with ambient light and recessed lights on/dimmed, is a projector still a viable option. For reference the room is 24x25 with the viewing area 11 feet from the screen and 9' ceilings.

#8 ·
I was in the same dilemma several years ago concerning upgrading from a 52" XBR4 to an 80" Sharp or a projector, which I knew nothing about.

Spent a lot of time reading about projectors and now have a 5030 in my living room with ambient light from the Phoenix sunshine but so glad I made the projector decision.

I use it as my only video entertainment with a 120" screen and it's great!

Go for it.

#10 ·
Well, I certainly wouldn't buy a big 4k tv until they have HDR and expanded color. I think that's going to take a lot longer for inexpensive projectors to get there.

I'm on projector #3 and just experienced my first blown bulb. I really miss it even though it has only been 5 days. Our 60" plasma feels tiny compared to the 106" screen. We have it upstairs in a non light controlled area so we just use it at night and not much in the summer.

LED projectors are starting to make headway and essentially last for ever. That is what I have been waiting for to upgrade my projector.

#12 ·
Thanks guys!

Thanks guys for all of your kind replies. Yes the theater room got no windows at all, I built the house a couple of years ago with a theater room in mind :) Looks like a projector is a perfect choice.

Now, lets talk about projectors and screens. I looked at thisBenQ HT4050. It got full 1080p, DLP, 2000 lumens. Is it a good projector?

As for screen, the drywall to drywall distance is 159", I'm thinking to leave about 12" on each end for hanging up speakers. So the max screen width would be 135", based on my poor math from high school, according to the Pythagorean theorem, the max screen size would be 154" (assume 16:9 ratio). Any brand recommended for screens? Thanks again guys.

#15 ·
Now, lets talk about projectors and screens. I looked at thisBenQ HT4050.
First things first. Before talking about gear, let's take a look at that room, and head over to the Dedicated Theater Design and Construction subforum.

Before you head over there, where the guys are going to try to talk you into five-six figures of construction (just giving you a heads-up what you're in for ;)), I will make the suggestion of looking at acoustically transparent screens, and putting your front speakers behind the screen. This is one of the great advantages in front projection—having the sound actually come from the screen.

#14 ·
I have 3 projectors at home. 1x Sony HW40es in my basement theater room for 3D movies (complete light control with a 120 inches diagonal brilliant white screen). 1x 720p LED pocket projector (Vivitek QUMI Q5) in my bed room (projecting an 80 inches diagonal image on wall. I watch movie almost every other night on bed. It is great enjoyment before sleeping). the third projector is my older projector (Panasonic 2000) replaced by the Sony 40ES. I also have a TV set (50 inches) in my family room, to watch TV broadcast or casual viewing of movie and video. You can check a few photos of my theater setup from my profile in the webpage.

Projector users definitely recommend to buy projector, not TV set. However, One's favorite is other's poison. I would suggest new buyers to answer these questions themselves before pick a projector or a TV set:-

1/. is the wall for the screen is limited to 80 inches diagonal? If yes, buy a TV set. If insist to projector, buy a 720p projector which is good enough. Save some money for something else. 1080p projector should match with a 120 Inches diagonal screen or bigger screen to recognize the full benefit of it resolution.

2/. Any chance to increase the size of the screen in the future? Or just stick to 80 inches forever?

3/. Can you control the light at the room? To get the best performance out of the projector, a dark room is necessary.

4/. if you like ambient light whilst watching movie in the room (especially if it is a family room or a multi-function room; if cannot stop outside light from outside through windows; walls and celling are WHITE) and the size of the screen is limited to 80 inches, better choose TV set which is less sensitive to light reflection. If still want Projector, buy a highest rated 720p or an entry level projector around US$1k. and match with a 80 inches screen that fit you wall.

5/. If you have or will have a bigger room for bigger screen size, go for 120 inches screen (which is the smallest size for projection - my opinion) and buy a 1080p projector at price range of $1.5K to $2K. Save some money on room light control (must be able to view movie in complete darkness. This is a must to get the best Black and Contrast of your projector). Again, TV set is not that sensitive to outside light. That is the advantage over Projector. There are quite some decent TV sets in the market. TV set has more buyers than Projector nowadays, because of room limitations. That's why manufacturers produce more TV model in various size, resolutions at different price range.

6/. How much you are ready to spend is most important. No money no talk. TV set is rather simple to setup, but projector needs more accessory to match with.

Does this make sense to you?

#17 ·
I have 3 projectors at home. 1x Sony HW40es in my basement theater room for 3D movies (complete light control with a 120 inches diagonal brilliant white screen). 1x 720p LED pocket projector (Vivitek QUMI Q5) in my bed room (projecting an 80 inches diagonal image on wall. I watch movie almost every other night on bed. It is great enjoyment before sleeping). the third projector is my older projector (Panasonic 2000) replaced by the Sony 40ES. I also have a TV set (50 inches) in my family room, to watch TV broadcast or casual viewing of movie and video. You can check a few photos of my theater setup from my profile in the webpage.

Projector users definitely recommend to buy projector, not TV set. However, One's favorite is other's poison. I would suggest new buyers to answer these questions themselves before pick a projector or a TV set:-

1/. is the wall for the screen is limited to 80 inches diagonal? If yes, buy a TV set. If insist to projector, buy a 720p projector which is good enough. Save some money for something else. 1080p projector should match with a 120 Inches diagonal screen or bigger screen to recognize the full benefit of it resolution.

No. The max diagonal size would be 153"

2/. Any chance to increase the size of the screen in the future? Or just stick to 80 inches forever?
If go with the projector, I'll get the max size allowed.

3/. Can you control the light at the room? To get the best performance out of the projector, a dark room is necessary.
No windows at all.

4/. if you like ambient light whilst watching movie in the room (especially if it is a family room or a multi-function room; if cannot stop outside light from outside through windows; walls and celling are WHITE) and the size of the screen is limited to 80 inches, better choose TV set which is less sensitive to light reflection. If still want Projector, buy a highest rated 720p or an entry level projector around US$1k. and match with a 80 inches screen that fit you wall.
No Windows :)

5/. If you have or will have a bigger room for bigger screen size, go for 120 inches screen (which is the smallest size for projection - my opinion) and buy a 1080p projector at price range of $1.5K to $2K. Save some money on room light control (must be able to view movie in complete darkness. This is a must to get the best Black and Contrast of your projector). Again, TV set is not that sensitive to outside light. That is the advantage over Projector. There are quite some decent TV sets in the market. TV set has more buyers than Projector nowadays, because of room limitations. That's why manufacturers produce more TV model in various size, resolutions at different price range.

6/. How much you are ready to spend is most important. No money no talk. TV set is rather simple to setup, but projector needs more accessory to match with.

Does this make sense to you?
It does make sense, looks like a projector is the better choice in my situation. Thanks.

#21 · (Edited)
I can't compete with all the rational suggestions, but here's my take.
I owned/used a projector (92" screen) as my primary movie viewing experience (DVD/BD) for over 10 years.
I haven't used it since I bought my OLED TV (see sig) a few months ago (good thing the screen is in the ceiling). With UHD imminent (player/disks on the way), the motivation to upgrade my projector (for big $$$) to even come close to my current viewing experience has disappeared.
I semi-jokingly tell friends I may have "lowered my projector screen" for the last time...

#25 ·
There is a lot going on in this thread.

First here are three links to the go to site for a lot of your questions and they will do the what if math for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-ht4050-projector-review.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT4050.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT4050-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Don’t worry about a screen right now. Finish that drywall as smooth as a babies butt and paint it with a couple coats of kilz primer and use that as a screen during the time you are thinking about screen size and type. You can very easy play around with white vs gray with about 50 bucks worth of paint and also screen placement height. The very last thing I would buy would be the screen and many find the paint so good they buy better speakers. Even if you think you want an AT screen start with a wall.

#29 ·
Well...I was like you once. My wife said she wanted a new HD TV - about an 80", she said. Up here in Canada, at the time, the cheapest 80" Sharp was over $ 5,000.00. So she said that we could live with our 52" Sharp for a while longer. Then, I brought home a data projector from work (a cheap BenQ that rainbowed all over the place and gave us both a headache). Not a good start. I was fixing up a loft space in the house and suggested that we should look at a projecrtor for that room, and she agreed "as long as it wasn't too expensive".

After a lot of reading and researching, I saw an EPSON 3LCD unit (an HC3020) on sale at a local electronics joint and picked it up for $ 1,400.00 CDN. She came home from work while I was playing with it in the livingroom to sort out throw distances, etc. It never made it to the loft. We watch full HD (in 3d if we want), even in subdued daylight or with the lights on (we have a 6' X 8' window right next to a patio door at the back or the room, AND a skylight). There's a bad photo of the image below- ECO mode at 4:00 in the afternoon, with the drapes drawn, but light coming in from the skylight. Blackout curtains fixed that. We are still sorting out how to put blinds on the skylight, but the image is still amazing. After dark, even more so. The Sharp 52" went into storage. Our setup is a 12 foot throw on the Epson: 110 inch image. Sony 600 watt AV receiever with full surround speakers. If I were you, ditch the TV idea and go with a good midrange projector like the Epson. You'll never look back.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.