SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 628Likes

post #661 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
45es arrived

So my sony arrived from amazon yesterday and of course I was tinkering with it for a while seeing how different shows/movies looked on it. Just wanted to give my impressions as I am coming directly from a 40es:

Black levels:
While I saw a review on amazon saying the black levels were clearly better than the 40, I think they are VERY similar. I believe the increase in contrast is due to the higher brightness. Also, in the picture settings on the 45, the contrast is set to max, whereas the 40 had it set to just 90 or 95 by default.

Reality creation:
I believe this was the biggest improvement. On the 40, the picture was soft when RC was off. When it was on w/ the 40, there is definitely significant graininess to the picture. With RC2 on the 45, the picture is thankfully very sharp without using it. Therefore, its not as dramatic a difference between on and off. With it on though, There is a slight boost in apparent detail and there isn't the graininess present in the 40.

Sharpness:
Very sharp. no alignment issues on my unit.

Motionflow:
There are more settings here, including "True Cinema". I found that setting to ok except every now and then it judders. I feel that the "low" setting on the 40 looks better than the "smooth low" on the 45. But others may feel differently. I just leave it off.

Disappointments:
On my 40, the top left corner (and lesser, but present on the upper right) is slightly brighter when showing an all black screen an is somewhat noticeable on dark scenes. On the 45, my unit has this issue and is even more noticeable. I don't know if it's defective or what. But it is definitely a disappointment since this is the most I've paid for a projector to date. It's even more disappointing considering my epson 8345 and benq ht2050 I auditioned (entry level PJ's) didn't have this problem at all. Do most units have this? Should I exchange?

Conclusion:
It puts out a very attactive image, with improved natural sharpness, but a noticeable downside on my particular unit. I'll be continuing to test to see if I will keep/return/exchange and just stick with my 40.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMac View Post
Well mine arrived yesterday although I'm still waiting my new screen.

Hooked it up on just a small table to make sure everything works and projected an image onto my old 90" Draper pull-down screen. Played around with some of the settings then threw on DeadPool. Initial thoughts (note that I'm coming from a Viewsonic Pro8100 in a light controlled room with dark walls but white ceiling):

- The picture is so much better than the Viewsonic that even my wife said wow.
- Colours are really good right out of the box (my Viewsonic had a full ISF calibration)
- Blacks; I was expecting them to be better than the Viewsonic (it has an iris) but wow, they are in a completely different league
- Its quiet, very quiet (in low lamp mode) but it does throw out a fair bit of heat
- Its really bright! Even in low lamp mode I had to turn the brightness way down
- Lens shift works well although the adjustments seem a little rough
- Lens cap goes over the focus ring so I imagine if you use it, you are going to be adjusting focus regularly
- Its quite a bit lighter/smaller than I thought it was going to be
- Reality Creation is really nice. This is my first Sony and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I will say that it seems really easy to dial it too much though.
- Couldn't see any screen door at all

Now its back in the box while I paint the ceiling and front wall (black), build/install some new equipment racks, mount the new screen (108" Elune Reference 4K fixed) and then ceiling mount the projector.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it so far and no buyers remorse at all after choosing the Sony over the Epson!
Great choice !!!! I too still can not believe it looks so good. I did tons of research before making my choice between the Epson and the Sony. I'm so happy I choose the Sony, friends that come over to watch a movie are still saying WOW WOW WOW

So Happy !!!
post #663 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw85 View Post
So my sony arrived from amazon yesterday and of course I was tinkering with it for a while seeing how different shows/movies looked on it. Just wanted to give my impressions as I am coming directly from a 40es:

Reality creation:
I believe this was the biggest improvement. On the 40, the picture was soft when RC was off. When it was on w/ the 40, there is definitely significant graininess to the picture. With RC2 on the 45, the picture is thankfully very sharp without using it. Therefore, its not as dramatic a difference between on and off. With it on though, There is a slight boost in apparent detail and there isn't the graininess present in the 40.

Disappointments:
On my 40, the top left corner (and lesser, but present on the upper right) is slightly brighter when showing an all black screen an is somewhat noticeable on dark scenes. On the 45, my unit has this issue and is even more noticeable. I don't know if it's defective or what. But it is definitely a disappointment since this is the most I've paid for a projector to date. It's even more disappointing considering my epson 8345 and benq ht2050 I auditioned (entry level PJ's) didn't have this problem at all. Do most units have this? Should I exchange?

Came from a HT2050 and 40ES, and I agree, the reality creation of the 45ES is one of the biggest improvements over the 40ES. Sharpens only what needs to be sharpened and doesn't introduce a ton of grain in the image like it did on the 40ES. Seems almost as sharp as the HT2050 w/o the rainbows I couldn't tolerate. My 40ES unfortunately seemed very soft in comparison and didn't like the grain introduced by RC. Sent it back and the 45ES was announced a few days later. Very happy with the 45ES. It's image processing is much improved and almost as sharp as the DLP I had, but with dark blacks, great colors, full lens shift, and much quieter than the HT2050. My unit also had a slightly brighter corner (bottom right), but it didn't bother me as the 40ES had similar issues. I did have to exchange mine though as it would pop several times an hour. Think it was thermal expansion of the case and read of similar complaints on the 40ES, but couldn't live with that. Really crossing my fingers the replacement (arriving today) doesn't do that as I'm so happy with the projector otherwise.

Not enough pictures in this thread so here are some I took when the room was still painted light tan. 45ES is ceiling mounted with a peerless, projected onto a 150" silver ticket white screen with PS4 playing bluray as the source. Camera was 5D3 tripod mounted and remote shutter was used.

p.s. For anyone painting their ceiling black be careful asking Homedepot for Behr "mouse ears" in flat enamel as it seems the magic formula has changed. A paint code label I saw from 5 years ago is different from the current code (they put blue and yellow in now with the black). I didn't realize this until 2 coats were done. Still a nice looking flat black, but you do notice the slight hint of blue. I should have just shown them the old mouse ears paint label for a true black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guardians2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	1559809   Click image for larger version

Name:	guardians1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	1559817   Click image for larger version

Name:	guardians - dark.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1559825   Click image for larger version

Name:	guardians - RC set to 30 - on off compare.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	1559833   Click image for larger version

Name:	guardians - picture style compare.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	1559841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cinderella - picture style compare.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	1559849   Click image for larger version

Name:	martian.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1559897   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS4 - star wars in game mode.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1559905  

Last edited by JeremyR; 07-22-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add last 2 pics

post #664 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Disappointments:
I checked uniformity last night as well. I have a brighter area across the bottom on the image however I know thats my screen causing it as I had the same think on my last projector. Since yours in in the same spots with 2 different PJ's is it possible its your screen?
post #665 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I checked uniformity last night as well. I have a brighter area across the bottom on the image however I know thats my screen causing it as I had the same think on my last projector. Since yours in in the same spots with 2 different PJ's is it possible its your screen?
Until I finish my basement, I don't have a screen, I'm just projecting onto a matte white wall, so it definitely isn't hot-spotting from a high-gain screen.

post #666 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
My unit also had a slightly brighter corner (bottom right), but it didn't bother me as the 40ES had similar issues.
Maybe that's just how the units are and some are more noticeable than the others. If your's is ceiling, it makes sense that the bright corner is the bottom right. Mine stands upright on a shelf and the bright corner is the upper left. Same corner, just different projector set ups. Still disappointing though for a $2,000 machine.

post #667 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Until I finish my basement, I don't have a screen, I'm just projecting onto a matte white wall, so it definitely isn't hot-spotting from a high-gain screen.
It sounds like a reflection coming off the wall/ceiling to me since it was present on both projectors.
post #668 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Maybe that's just how the units are and some are more noticeable than the others. If your's is ceiling, it makes sense that the bright corner is the bottom right. Mine stands upright on a shelf and the bright corner is the upper left. Same corner, just different projector set ups. Still disappointing though for a $2,000 machine.
I guess I look at it differently, as I do not consider $2000 an expensive projector. I am amazed at the huge images we can get these days for the price. Just the other day I was reading an article from a home theater magazine from 1999. They had a review on a Seleco projector that cost $33,000. It was a 3 chip dlp with 848x600 dmd's. $2000 for a projector that can throw a 10 ft wide (2d) image is just amazing to me.
skypop likes this.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #669 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Well mine arrived yesterday although I'm still waiting my new screen.

Hooked it up on just a small table to make sure everything works and projected an image onto my old 90" Draper pull-down screen. Played around with some of the settings then threw on DeadPool. Initial thoughts (note that I'm coming from a Viewsonic Pro8100 in a light controlled room with dark walls but white ceiling):

- The picture is so much better than the Viewsonic that even my wife said wow.

- Colours are really good right out of the box (my Viewsonic had a full ISF calibration)

- Blacks; I was expecting them to be better than the Viewsonic (it has an iris) but wow, they are in a completely different league

- Its quiet, very quiet (in low lamp mode) but it does throw out a fair bit of heat

- Its really bright! Even in low lamp mode I had to turn the brightness way down

- Lens shift works well although the adjustments seem a little rough

- Lens cap goes over the focus ring so I imagine if you use it, you are going to be adjusting focus regularly

- Its quite a bit lighter/smaller than I thought it was going to be

- Reality Creation is really nice. This is my first Sony and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I will say that it seems really easy to dial it too much though.

- Couldn't see any screen door at all

Now its back in the box while I paint the ceiling and front wall (black), build/install some new equipment racks, mount the new screen (108" Elune Reference 4K fixed) and then ceiling mount the projector.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it so far and no buyers remorse at all after choosing the Sony over the Epson!

Nice. Can I ask what are your room dimensions and ceiling heights? Also seating distance and how far off the ground will you mount your screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #670 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Nice. Can I ask what are your room dimensions and ceiling heights? Also seating distance and how far off the ground will you mount your screen?

Sure; Room is 16' x 20' with an 8' ceiling. The screen will go on the narrow wall which has a bulkhead and brings the ceiling height (on that wall) down to 7.5'. I'm building a bit of a false wall there so that my gear can go flush with the screen. The screen will be 23" from the floor. Seating will be anywhere as its a single purpose basement room

I plan on posting a few pics once its all done.
post #671 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post
I guess I look at it differently, as I do not consider $2000 an expensive projector. I am amazed at the huge images we can get these days for the price. Just the other day I was reading an article from a home theater magazine from 1999. They had a review on a Seleco projector that cost $33,000. It was a 3 chip dlp with 848x600 dmd's. $2000 for a projector that can throw a 10 ft wide (2d) image is just amazing to me.
My first projector was a used Ampro 4600 CRT unit. I bought it with only 630hrs for $23K and considered that a bargain as they were $58K US new. It was built (and weighed) like a tank and needed a full convergence weekly. So yeah, 2K for the 45ES is certainly not what I would consider expensive
post #672 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sure; Room is 16' x 20' with an 8' ceiling. The screen will go on the narrow wall which has a bulkhead and brings the ceiling height (on that wall) down to 7.5'. I'm building a bit of a false wall there so that my gear can go flush with the screen. The screen will be 23" from the floor. Seating will be anywhere as its a single purpose basement room

I plan on posting a few pics once its all done.

Thanks. My room is only 11' X 13.3' . Screen on narrow wall and I plan to go with 110". Will it be too big?? Plan to sit around 3.5m from screen.

post #673 of 2466 Old 07-22-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
My first projector was a used Ampro 4600 CRT unit. I bought it with only 630hrs for $23K and considered that a bargain as they were $58K US new. It was built (and weighed) like a tank and needed a full convergence weekly. So yeah, 2K for the 45ES is certainly not what I would consider expensive
Which ViewSonic PJ did you have? I came from a Pro8100 and remember when I got it how it wowed me. Then the 40ES raised the bar.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #674 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Thanks. My room is only 11' X 13.3' . Screen on narrow wall and I plan to go with 110". Will it be too big?? Plan to sit around 3.5m from screen.

So, you are planning on sitting 11'5" from the screen in a 13'3" room. Doing that places your head within 2 feet of the rear wall which IMHO is too close for good audio even IF you have inwall speakers. Why not move your seating position forward a foot or two so that you can have a better rear sound stage? There is no such thing as "too large a screen"

I don't understand why people mix & match measurements within the SAME post.

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere

Last edited by ndabunka; 07-23-2016 at 05:00 AM.
post #675 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
So, you are planning on sitting 11'5" from the screen in a 13'3" room. Doing that places your head within 2 feet of the rear wall which IMHO is too close for good audio even IF you have inwall speakers. Why not move your seating position forward a foot or two so that you can have a better rear sound stage? There is no such thing as "too large a screen"

I don't understand why people mix & match measurements within the SAME post.
Sorry about the mixing of measurements. I'm from Australia. And we do it in meters. I forgot for the last measurement to convert to feet

I can move the seat forward a bit. So you mean 110" will still be ok?
post #676 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Sorry about the mixing of measurements. I'm from Australia. And we do it in meters. I forgot for the last measurement to convert to feet

I can move the seat forward a bit. So you mean 110" will still be ok?
Try the throw calculator, you have recommended seating position in it too!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #677 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi All,

I am seriously considering upgrading to the 45 but I have a question about brightness and lag. I have a dedicated theater, flat black ceiling, flat black projection wall and two tone dark side walls. My room is 14' w by 20' deep.

I currently have a 135" fixed screen and want to make sure that this projector can fill that size with a nice bright image. My kids and I also play games through various consoles and would like lag time to be low.

Thanks for any input.

Here is a shot of the theater room.

post #678 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Best to use the calc at Projector Central to figure that out or refer to the Sony website

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Which ViewSonic PJ did you have? I came from a Pro8100 and remember when I got it how it wowed me. Then the 40ES raised the bar.
Pro8100 as well and yep, pretty much the same story here.
post #679 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post
Hi All,
I am seriously considering upgrading to the 45 but I have a question about brightness and lag. I have a dedicated theater, flat black ceiling, flat black projection wall and two tone dark side walls. My room is 14' w by 20' deep.

I currently have a 135" fixed screen and want to make sure that this projector can fill that size with a nice bright image. My kids and I also play games through various consoles and would like lag time to be low.

Thanks for any input.

Here is a shot of the theater room.
Nice room!

According to the calc, you are looking at a throw distance of about 16-17' to get a 135" image. I dont think brightness will be a problem even in low lamp mode in your room.

I only game on the PC so cant comment on input lag; other on here seem to feel the 45ES is one of the better PJ's for gaming on though.
post #680 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Nice room!

According to the calc, you are looking at a throw distance of about 16-17' to get a 135" image. I dont think brightness will be a problem even in low lamp mode in your room.

I only game on the PC so cant comment on input lag; other on here seem to feel the 45ES is one of the better PJ's for gaming on though.
Thanks,

I have been reading other reviews and it does seem to have a decent low lag rating. I have flexibility in placement because the room is 20' deep I just want to make sure its bright enough. I have had LCD, LCOS and DLP and I always seem to lean towards DLP for the pop in colors and amazing sharpness.

I had my eye on the Sony 40 but didn't pull the trigger so now might be a good time to get the 45 since it seems to be a crowd pleaser.
post #681 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thank you upgrader, BrianMac, southpaw85, and JeremyR for getting specific about the 45! To me, detailed descriptions are usually more helpful than pix which often say more about the camera, room, lighting, angle, etc. than the PJ.

Of particular interest to me are the 45's black levels. All past and future comments on BL/contrast - including related info on screen and walls, ceiling, etc. near screen - much appreciated.

My situation: Very pleased with the sharpness, color, and motion handling of my current and first PJ, a DLP, the Vivitek H1186. But, of course, DLP black levels are more like gray levels. Would those of you who have had a DLP say that the 45 is pretty much the equal in all PQ departments except BL? JeremyR said something to the effect of the 45 is "almost as sharp" as the (DLP) HT2050. Surprised me. Would've thought sharper. Someone (southpaw85?) said 45 black levels better than Viewsonic which has an iris! That also surprised me, but the Viewsonic mentioned appears to be about six yrs old (looked on PJ Central)...so today's non-iris better than iris of recent past? IMO, posters comparisons to other PJs are gold. More, more!

I cancelled a pre-order for the 45 when news of the Epson 5040 surfaced. Like many, I'm still waiting for those initial 5040/4040 reviews. But, with all I'm reading, and considering the price gap, the Epsons will need really rave reviews to sway me away from my initial decision for the 45.
post #682 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q View Post
Thank you upgrader, BrianMac, southpaw85, and JeremyR for getting specific about the 45! To me, detailed descriptions are usually more helpful than pix which often say more about the camera, room, lighting, angle, etc. than the PJ.

Of particular interest to me are the 45's black levels. All past and future comments on BL/contrast - including related info on screen and walls, ceiling, etc. near screen - much appreciated.

My situation: Very pleased with the sharpness, color, and motion handling of my current and first PJ, a DLP, the Vivitek H1186. But, of course, DLP black levels are more like gray levels. Would those of you who have had a DLP say that the 45 is pretty much the equal in all PQ departments except BL? JeremyR said something to the effect of the 45 is "almost as sharp" as the (DLP) HT2050. Surprised me. Would've thought sharper. Someone (southpaw85?) said 45 black levels better than Viewsonic which has an iris! That also surprised me, but the Viewsonic mentioned appears to be about six yrs old (looked on PJ Central)...so today's non-iris better than iris of recent past? IMO, posters comparisons to other PJs are gold. More, more!

I cancelled a pre-order for the 45 when news of the Epson 5040 surfaced. Like many, I'm still waiting for those initial 5040/4040 reviews. But, with all I'm reading, and considering the price gap, the Epsons will need really rave reviews to sway me away from my initial decision for the 45.
In my experience, sharpness is really dependent on the projector/screen pairing. If the screen has any texture, you are not going to get as sharp an image as on a perfectly smooth screen. Not sure what screen you have now but IMO, if your budget is $3K, you are better off with $2K on the projector and $1K on the screen than a $3K projector and budget screen.
post #683 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Your recommend of $2K projector/$1K screen may be right on the money. I don't know. But I'm very anxious to hear your comments when your Elunevision screen is set up.

So far - and everything here is experimental - my projector-to-screen cost ratio is $499/$72. (Spit take). The screen is an acoustically transparent layer of white milliskin spandex over a layer of black milliskin spandex - both stretched over a DIY frame of 1x4s. The screen is 120" x 60" - built that way to permit trying out various sizes of 16:9 and 2.4:1 images. Mostly I've been watching 16:9 at near full height which works out to about a 120" diag screen. I cannot see any texture. Supposedly the gain is ~0.8, or about the same as your coming screen.

How much better the image would be with a highly engineered perfectly uniform flat screen such as the Elunevision, I have no idea. But would love to find out! Based on all I've read, though, this black-over-white milliskin spandex is fairly well regarded, especially considering its cost. The image I see from the Vivitek is super sharp. I wouldn't spend another nickel for more sharpness. It's the black levels that are the killer. A well-lit film, a football game lit by the Sun (coming soon!), I'm good to go. But, any production that's mostly dark...my screen is awash in gray. I've spent too many years watching plasma to be content with that.
post #684 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Your recommend of $2K projector/$1K screen may be right on the money. I don't know. But I'm very anxious to hear your comments when your Elunevision screen is set up.

So far - and everything here is experimental - my projector-to-screen cost ratio is $499/$72. (Spit take). The screen is an acoustically transparent layer of white milliskin spandex over a layer of black milliskin spandex - both stretched over a DIY frame of 1x4s. The screen is 120" x 60" - built that way to permit trying out various sizes of 16:9 and 2.4:1 images. Mostly I've been watching 16:9 at near full height which works out to about a 120" diag screen. I cannot see any texture. Supposedly the gain is ~0.8, or about the same as your coming screen.

How much better the image would be with a highly engineered perfectly uniform flat screen such as the Elunevision, I have no idea. But would love to find out! Based on all I've read, though, this black-over-white milliskin spandex is fairly well regarded, especially considering its cost. The image I see from the Vivitek is super sharp. I wouldn't spend another nickel for more sharpness. It's the black levels that are the killer. A well-lit film, a football game lit by the Sun (coming soon!), I'm good to go. But, any production that's mostly dark...my screen is awash in gray. I've spent too many years watching plasma to be content with that.
I think you'd be very happy with the black level of the Sony. I recently replaced my JVC DLA-X700 with the HW45 for the lower input lag and to free up some money until 4k becomes more mainstream and I'm completely content with my decision. While it's no match for the JVC in native contrast and black level, it still throws a fantastic image that's brighter and even more natural than the JVC in my opinion.

Headless Petie
post #685 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I think you'd be very happy with the black level of the Sony. I recently replaced my JVC DLA-X700 with the HW45 for the lower input lag and to free up some money until 4k becomes more mainstream and I'm completely content with my decision. While it's no match for the JVC in native contrast and black level, it still throws a fantastic image that's brighter and even more natural than the JVC in my opinion.
That's quite a comment!

You say the HW45 is "no match" for the JVC in contrast/black level. As expected. Scrolling back further, I see you've also owned a BenQ HT2050, a DLP similar to mine (Since I've learned that all the entry level DLPs are built around the same TI chip, I've now - rightly or wrongly - come to believe that they are all much more alike than different RE picture quality).

So! That puts you in the perfect position to answer a question that has been bouncing around in my head, and which I have thought about posting as a standalone question. If you would be so kind, the question is this:

If you arbitrarily assign an entry level DLP projector, such as your HT2050, a contrast/BL value of "1," and if you arbitrarily assign the flagship JVC a value of "10," what's the number you would award the HW45?

I don't intend to put you in an awkward position, so feel free to disregard! OTOH, an answer by any others who have experience with a DLP, an HW45, and a JVC...also very welcome!
medatom likes this.
post #686 of 2466 Old 07-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Good info.
post #687 of 2466 Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's quite a comment!

You say the HW45 is "no match" for the JVC in contrast/black level. As expected. Scrolling back further, I see you've also owned a BenQ HT2050, a DLP similar to mine (Since I've learned that all the entry level DLPs are built around the same TI chip, I've now - rightly or wrongly - come to believe that they are all much more alike than different RE picture quality).

So! That puts you in the perfect position to answer a question that has been bouncing around in my head, and which I have thought about posting as a standalone question. If you would be so kind, the question is this:

If you arbitrarily assign an entry level DLP projector, such as your HT2050, a contrast/BL value of "1," and if you arbitrarily assign the flagship JVC a value of "10," what's the number you would award the HW45?

I don't intend to put you in an awkward position, so feel free to disregard! OTOH, an answer by any others who have experience with a DLP, an HW45, and a JVC...also very welcome!
If the Benq is a 1 and the x700 is a 10, I'd say the HW45 is around a 6. But that would be a more of a side by side comparison. With the Benq, the bright highlights looked great, but when you got to darker content it really struggled and was noticeable (it was distracting). As for the Sony, you get those similarly strong bright highlights, but better blacks as well. If you put the JVC and the Sony side by side, the Sony's black level is noticeably lighter, but on it's own I never felt cheated if that makes any sense. I feel that you get get 85 to 90% of the picture quality at 1/2 the price. At the end of the day, it's all about what you're willing to pay for that top tier performance.

Ive also owned the HW40 and would say that the black levels are about the same, but the picture feels slightly brighter and more natural (reality creation 2) on the HW45. Very subtle, but noticeable none the less (at least in my experience). If you have any more questions just let me know.
brian6751 likes this.

Headless Petie
post #688 of 2466 Old 07-24-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
If the Benq is a 1 and the x700 is a 10, I'd say the HW45 is around a 6. But that would be a more of a side by side comparison. With the Benq, the bright highlights looked great, but when you got to darker content it really struggled and was noticeable (it was distracting). As for the Sony, you get those similarly strong bright highlights, but better blacks as well. If you put the JVC and the Sony side by side, the Sony's black level is noticeably lighter, but on it's own I never felt cheated if that makes any sense. I feel that you get get 85 to 90% of the picture quality at 1/2 the price. At the end of the day, it's all about what you're willing to pay for that top tier performance.

Ive also owned the HW40 and would say that the black levels are about the same, but the picture feels slightly brighter and more natural (reality creation 2) on the HW45. Very subtle, but noticeable none the less (at least in my experience). If you have any more questions just let me know.
You know we all are gonna ask you which projector you would rate a 7, 8, and 9! LOL
Gradius2 likes this.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #689 of 2466 Old 07-24-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:

If you don't mind sharing, what do you have your settings at on the HW45 and what are you using for a screen?
post #690 of 2466 Old 07-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

I have a 138" 2:35 Elite Research cinewhite 1.1 gain. I've been using cinema 2 based on the 1 (and only) professional review that I've seen referenced on this thread. I do use reality creation between 10 and 20, but turn off the other enhancement features. I have it scheduled to be calibrated in a couple of weeks so I'll have more info then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-HW45ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page