AVS Forum banner

Epson 5040UB ($2999) - e-Shift 4K, HDR10, WCG, Powered lens position memory

261K views 4K replies 332 participants last post by  Azekecse 
#1 ·
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...l-input-and-hdr-for-under-3000-300287574.html

NEW YORK, June 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- (CE Week, Booth [URL=http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=116]#116 )[/URL] – Epson, the number-one projector manufacturer in the world, today announced two new Home Cinema projectors, including the world's first WirelessHD projector with 4K content support. The Home Cinema 5040UB and wireless Home Cinema 5040UBe feature 4K Enhancement Technology1 and are the first 3LCD projectors with 4K UHD signal input and high dynamic range (HDR) support. These newly designed Home Cinema projectors deliver 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness2 and an expansive color gamut to display the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces3. The projectors are engineered with up to 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and display high dynamic range content, with eye-popping bright colors and deep, dramatic Ultra Blacks for a fully immersive large-screen experience.

"These new projectors are a breakthrough in projection technology, engineered to handle 4K UHD content for under $3,000," said Rodrigo Catalan, senior product manager, Projectors, Epson America. "With HDR support, it's easier than ever for consumers to enjoy the latest content with high dynamic range to create an amazing cinematic experience."

The Epson Home Cinema 5040UBe is the world's first WirelessHD projector and features 4K Enhancement Technology.

The Epson Home Cinema 5040UBe is the world's first WirelessHD projector and features 4K Enhancement Technology.
More About the Home Cinema 5040UBe and 5040UB
The Home Cinema 5040UBe and 5040UB with 4K Enhancement1 are compatible with HDMI® 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 standards for displaying 4K UHD content. The projectors automatically detect an encoded HDR signal and adjust the brightness levels to display highlights and detailed blacks. The projectors deliver an immersive, natural picture quality displaying the full sRGB color space, even in the brightest mode, as well as the entire DCI color gamut – the digital cinema standard – in Digital Cinema Mode. Both projectors include an enhanced optical engine and a new all-glass cinema lens engineered to deliver excellent sharpness and color uniformity with remarkable clarity across the entire screen.

The Home Cinema 5040UBe enables users to connect a range of entertainment devices using the included transmitter and wirelessly stream 4K, HDR and Full HD 1080p content with WirelessHD. The transmitter connects up to four HDMI devices simultaneously and supports 4K HDCP2.2 standards. It also includes one HDMI out connection and one optical port, with one HDMI port supporting MHL®4. Connect a receiver, Blu-Ray player, gaming console, or streaming devices Chromecast™, Roku®, Amazon Fire™ TV, and Apple TV® and switch between four HDMI devices simultaneously with Preview Mode. For a more immersive experience with sound, external speakers can be connected via the optical port (speakers not included).

Additional Home Cinema 5040UBe and 5040UB features include:

Powered Lens Position Memory – Preset up to 10 positions for zoom, focus and lens shift for both standard and wide cinema ratios
Installation Flexibility – Equipped with a wide range of lens shift capabilities, including a super-wide range of up to ± 96.3 percent on the vertical axis and ±47.1 percent on the horizontal axis
Image Enhancement Features – Super-resolution delivers defined edges and rich image quality, making content come alive; Detail Enhancement refines surface detail for true-to-life images; users can adjust levels of sharpness and detail enhancement
New Optical Engine – Non-inverting optical engine design utilizes an additional high-quality relay lens for Epson's best color field uniformity to date
Frame Interpolation5 – Generates multiple new frames between the originals, reducing motion blur and providing a smoother, theater-like experience
Auto Iris Technology – Adjusts the aperture to provide the optimum contrast and brightness for each scene
Centered Lens Design – Makes installation easy to plan and carry out with simpler lens-to-screen alignment
Color Brightness Specification – Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness; Epson projectors utilize 3LCD, 3-chip technology and offer up to 3x higher color brightness than leading competitive projectors6
Availability and Support
The Home Cinema 5040UBe (MSRP $3,299) and 5040UB (MSRP $2,999) will be available in August through authorized resellers. Each projector comes with Epson's industry leading service and support, including toll-free access to Epson's PrivateLine® priority technical support, and free two-business day exchange with Extra CareSM Home Service. The projectors include a two-year limited warranty (90 days on lamps). For more information, please visit www.epson.com/homeentertainment.

The new line of Epson home theater projectors will be on display and demoed at Epson's booth #116 at CE Week June 21-23.

See less See more
#2 ·
These footnotes were under the article:

1 4K Enhancement Technology shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels to double the resolution to 3840 x 2160 and surpass Full HD image quality. Resolution is 1920 x 1080 in 3D Mode.
2 Color brightness (color light output) and white brightness (white light output) will vary depending on usage conditions. Color light output measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4; white light output measured in accordance with ISO 21118.
3 Entire DCI color space can be displayed in Digital Cinema Mode only.
4 Includes one Mobile High-Definition Link® (MHL) HDMI port on the WirelessHD transmitter. For sound, external speakers must be connected to the optical port.
5 Supports 1080p/24 Hz or 3D 1080p/24 Hz frame packing only.
6 Color brightness (color light output) measured in accordance with IDMS 15.4. Color brightness will vary depending on usage conditions. Leading Epson 3LCD projectors in the home entertainment segment (720p and 1080p) compared to leading 1-chip DLP projectors, based on NPD data for June 2013 through May 2014.

#3 ·
Projector Central's announcement and notes including 2 other models:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?entry_id=712&em

One option is the cheaper 4040

Epson Pro Cinema 4040 ($2,699). Same features and distribution as 6040UB, but with moderately reduced performance (2300 lumens instead of 2500, and 160,000:1 contrast)

Main questions for me...input lag, and is image quality compromised in fast mode?

#4 ·
These sound like they are the current models with HDMI 2.0a and Epson's version of E-shift added. Not that is a bad thing, because it gets you the ability to play 4K UHD BD with HDR. Looks like lumen output is the same as current models. Current 5030/6030 does around 700 calibrated lumens.

#5 ·
Not sure about that. According to Evan at PC:

"A couple of points … first, compared to the current 5030UB and 6030UB which the new models will replace, these are all new projectors from the ground up. They have a new optical engine, new casework design, powered zoom, focus, and lens shift for lens memory capability, a higher precision all-glass lens, and of course 4K enhancement and HDR. So practically speaking, the Home Cinema 5040UB is a major advance on many fronts over the 5030UB. Don’t let the minor change in model number fool you into supposing this is just another modest upgrade of an established product."

Mike, any chance you guys will offer special pre-release pricing? ;)

#6 ·
Is powered lens motorized lens shift?

New lens assembly, accepts 4k/hdr.... now if it's just 5-10db quieter than my 5020ub :)

#10 ·
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think the 5040 is very interesting. It going to have SDE like always, since standard LCD panels are being used. You're paying at least 3,000 for a native 1080p projector. For that money, save another $500 for the JVC 550XR (or 400; same model I believe) and get phenomenal blacks without an iris. I think Epson is going have a real problem with Sony and their 45es with starting MSRP of $1,999. Sony seems to be manufacturing awesome projectors aimed at the mid-market that can draw buyers from the entry level who want a little more and buyers who realize they won't do much better spending another $1,000. Epson, on the other hand seems be making entry level projectors with terrible contrast or high end projectors that can't compete with JVC or actual 4k units.

#11 ·
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think the 5040 is very interesting. It going to have SDE like always, since standard LCD panels are being used. You're paying at least 3,000 for a native 1080p projector. ...
Evan Powell at ProjectorCentral.com sees it differently:

Having seen the 6040UB set up side by side with a native 4K projector, I will say that the 6040UB's picture simply looks like native 4K when they are both fed a native 4K source. It is difficult to detect any difference at all in detail resolution between the two from a normal viewing distance. In fact if casual observers were shown this side by side demo and asked to guess which was the true native 4K projector, I have no doubt that half of them would guess wrong.

The purist will argue that there must be some difference in resolution, as the 4K images achieved through pixel shift cannot possibly match the exact reproduction from native 4K chips. While this is technically true, if 4K enhancement has improved to where you can't see any difference from a normal viewing distance, what is more important -- how the projector does it or how much it costs?

#13 ·
I disagree. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I've never noticed SDE on my 5020ub at 9ft viewing.

The jvc you mention lacks HDR as well. To get faux k and HDR with JVC, you have to spend substantially more $.

#18 ·
Was about to pull the trigger on the sony 45es but I'm gonna wait for an official review of the new epson models. Love how it has HDR and other extra features. If the fan noise is as quiet as the sony then it will be a real winner in my book against current sony and jvc models. Might as well get 40es over the 45es to save money cause 45es will feel obsolete soon as affordable HDR projectors comes out.

#19 ·
How much cheaper are you seeing the 40ES?

Here it seems the pricing of the 40ES isn't great compared to the 45ES, unless you go with some 2nd tier 3rd party non-authorized resellers. The authorized resellers and the better non-authorized resellers have the 40ES for almost the same price as the 45ES, and some actually have the 40ES for MORE than the 45ES, since the MSRP of the 40ES is higher (and it's in stock).

#20 · (Edited)

My current 8 year old Epson 1080UB has been an amazing projector and served me well.
The contrast/black level performance second only to much higher $$$ JVC's. I've never needed high lamp mode in my blacked out bat-cave
so fan noise has never been an issue for me (despite being just a few feet away from me head) I run my audio at reference levels,
So even if the fan went from 20dB to 30dB I doubt I would have issue when watching movies (90% action/sci-fi) at 85dB with 100dB+ peaks.

But approaching 13k hours on the old PJ, I will be ready for lamp number 6 before the end of this year
So maybe it's finally time for an upgrade and spend that money on a spare lamp for the new PJ instead.

My first major upgrade in the last 8 years, other than a PS4 and XBO (for offline gaming only)
Was finally stepping up to a new Yamaha RX-A3050 AVR a couple months ago for 7.4.4 Atmos/DTS:X, 4K HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a HDR compatible.
I've been patiently watching and waiting for 4K hype to settle and find a decent price on a 4K player and 4k HDR compatible projector.

I've seen the E-Shift JVC RS500 in person and although it's only faux-k and not real 4K, I still liked what I saw.
I was ready to jump on an RS400 later this year, but with a lack of HDR in their entry level unit, I put that on hold, again,
while I consider shelling out even more for an RS500/600 instead...or just wait for a new contender.

The Epsons motorized lens shift, focus and zoom with memory settings is a nice step up, and a real glass lens! (isn't the Sony plastic??)

I can't wait to see some performance reviews,
and with any luck a local dealer demo ( I have 3 to choose from locally).

Sure wish the Pro version in Black wasn't so much more (+$1k) though.
...my white 1080UB is the only thing in my room that isn't black and I was sure my next PJ would fix that. :(

#30 ·
Yes, at 1080p.

#32 ·
Does anyone know about what we should expect the bulb life to be on the 5040UB? I have not seen anything stated in the literature I've read so far.

I've got one bulb left for my 3010 that has around 13,000 hours on it. I had planned to hold out until something affordable with LED or Laser came out, but this unit has got me itching to upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 ·
I'd figure the same as the 5030 unless you plan on watching lots of 4K HDR content in high lamp mode. I don't see any rating yet for lamp life, which you need to take with a grain of salt anyway.

I thought LED or Laser would be more common by now too. At this rate, I might not live long enough to see laser in this price category ! :eek:

#33 ·
This is going to be a hard decision. I am still in the planning stages of my home theater, and this is way over my planned projector budget. It would be nice to be able to throw 4k sources at the projector and not have to worry about down converting. I was all ready to get the 45ES before I saw this.

#34 ·
Man I'm in the exact same position as you. I mentioned getting this projector to my wife and she scoffed at me. I really don't blame her because we were all but set on the 45ES. And that was after her asking "why can't you just buy an $800 projector"? Will I truly be able to enjoy the 45ES, when I know there's a "better"option that can do faux K and HDR????

#39 ·
Wow this happened on the very day i placed my order for JVC-RS400..... Looks like i will be cancelling my order this looks like a real contender after all the issues with HDR & finding HDMI over 25ft that would work with the JVC.

#40 · (Edited)
I am not sure what you mean.

If people had problems with HDMI over 25 ft with a 4K JVC, they may have similar problems with HDMI over 25 ft with a 4K(ish) Epson. And what do you mean about the HDR issues?

#55 ·
I'm really excited to hear about how this projector handles input lag. I like to game, but don't do competitive/serious gaming on my TV. Mostly narrative based games where I want to be engrossed. This seems very encouraging if that's reasonable. I'm debating between this projector and the 45 from Sony. Noise from the fan is also an issue...

#58 ·
Waiting stinks. I was all set to pull the trigger on the 45ES, but the HDR and faux 4K for under $3K is enough to cause a pause. Agree with everyone above - lag, picture under heavy processing and fan noise are the wild cards. Might pick up a used 40ES or 5030 in the meantime.

#75 ·
The huge thing that most people aren't realizing with the 5040 is the motorized zoom and lens shift with presets. Now you can get a 2.35 screen and easily switch between 16:9 and 2.35. That is huge for that price range! I am just getting ready to start on my theater and I was sold on the 45es until the 5040 announcement. I wasn't even going to go 2.35, but now with this plans have changed for the better :)

#77 ·
I'm curious about the real-world difference between the 6040UB and the 4040UB. The $4000 vs. $2700 price difference is pretty vast, and I think the only real difference is the contrast ratio (I'm not sweating -200 lumens in my dedicated theater).

Manufacturer contrast ratios seem to be getting exponentially larger. Aside from the raw number, is there a big visible difference between "up to" 160,000:1, and 1,000,000:1?

Attachments

#79 ·
I'd much rather pick up a used 55ES than the whole "45ES vs 5040" Sure you'll have HDR and "4K" but it's the same if not worse than those entry-level BMWs pumping up fake high performance engine sounds through the speakers :D

Pony up an extra 1K and pick up an used 365ES if you want REAL 4K and REAL HDR. The pseudo stuff is sad.

#80 ·
It is better than 1080p, which is what we are comparing it to. And how is the 5040 not going to be "real HDR"? You are sounding like a Sony fan boi who can't admit the 5040 is likely going to be better than the 45es, but it should be for 50% more cost. Now is it worth the extra 50%? That is what we will have to find out.

#82 ·
I am biased against Sony. Unfortunately everything I've ever bought from Sony has failed on me just out of the warranty window, or had issues that Sony never resolved after repeated trips to their service department. I don't actually understand why I keep buying their stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ted99
#83 · (Edited)
Pretty exciting to finally have a > $3k projector with 4k and HDR. I'm really looking forward to some reviews of this but after owning a 5030 there are a few things I hope they fixed or improved.

1. Better Lens, my 5030 was never as sharp as my JVC so that definitely needs to be upgraded to show off 4k.

2. Calibrated light output was way to low. For HDR that needs to be significantly higher than the 700 output the 5030 measures in at, it's soo important for HDR.

3. Measured native contrast improvement, not the artificial numbers Epson puts out or dynamic numbers because in HDR you run with that wide open anyways.

If Epson can hit 2 out of 3 I think we have a winner at this price point, too bad we have to wait for some reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.