Noob here - Looking for short throw options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Noob here - Looking for short throw options

My current setup is with a 110" screen and my projector is hanging about 1ft down from the ceiling at 15' away from the screen. I would really like to get a projector that can sit on the floor in front of the screen. The reason for this is that the room is long and narrow, but the ceilings are fairly short. I would really like to be able to setup better seating (maybe stadium?) in the room without worrying about casting shadows on the screen whenever someone sits up or whatever.

Are there projectors out there that can sit within 3-4ft of a 110" screen and project 1080p @ 60FPS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubak View Post
My current setup is with a 110" screen and my projector is hanging about 1ft down from the ceiling at 15' away from the screen. I would really like to get a projector that can sit on the floor in front of the screen. The reason for this is that the room is long and narrow, but the ceilings are fairly short. I would really like to be able to setup better seating (maybe stadium?) in the room without worrying about casting shadows on the screen whenever someone sits up or whatever.

Are there projectors out there that can sit within 3-4ft of a 110" screen and project 1080p @ 60FPS?
The best one seems to be LG PF1000u.

I havent seen one in person, but it gets good reviews.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Short throw 1080p projector selection is limited. Optoma GT1080 will do 110" from 4', but it's primarily designed for gaming and not the most accurate for movies. BenQ HT1085ST is generally considered the best of the short throw projectors for movies, but needs minimum 5' 6" throw to hit 110".
post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 659
The BenQ 1080/1085ST models are the best out there right now. Using a RGB/RGB color wheel you will get a very good image. The LG is nice, but it is a short throw version of the PF1500U, which is well reviewed, but suffers from some LED issues, most notably it is not terribly bright in comparison to the 1080ST series. About half or less the brightness. It is a ultra short throw, which is pretty cool with the PF1000, but I'm not sure I would trade that for the brightness, especially in a permanent home theater situation.

At 5-6 feet of throw distance, it should be well in front of the seated audience and placement is with the center of the lens right near the top of the screen, so it should be out of the way and work nicely with your lower ceilings just fine.

I installed one a year or so ago in front of a soffit for a client and it worked very well.

Make sure you have a very flat screen. Any waves in the screen material will significantly distort the image.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the advice all. I'm currently looking at the BenQ HT1085ST as my replacement projector. The current projector is a Optoma H79, which has half the lumens (1,000) and is only 720p. The only advantage that I would lose with the upgrade would be loss of a powered lens focus and the new projector is about 8dB louder. I just want to make sure I'm making the right move here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
short throw