HD142X thoughts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HD142X thoughts?

Great price point, but how will it compare to the Epson's and BenQ's.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's a data projector, so it won't compare well to cinema/home theater projectors.
TheronB is offline  
post #3 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HD142X thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
It's a data projector, so it won't compare well to cinema/home theater projectors.


Why is it being marketed to home theater similar to the HD141X?

Features of the Optoma HD142x include:
• Accurate, rich colors: with both Rec.709 and sRGB color modes, the Optoma HD142x can deliver rich, true and accurate colors for any content
• Market-leading contrast: 23,000:1: its high contrast ratio means bright whites and dark, detailed blacks in any picture
• 1080p resolution: high-definition resolution translates to incredible picture detail for movies, games and more
• Brightness: With 3,000 lumens of brightness, the HD142x can be used in rooms with moderate ambient light, and can light up larger home screens - or walls
• 3D ready: the Optoma HD142x supports all HDMI 1.4a mandatory 3D formats for playback of 3D content for immersive viewing
• Integrated sound: it features a 10-watt speaker for integrated audio/video and ultimately consumer ease of use
• Wireless and device compatibility: MHL devices such as Optoma's HDCast Pro for wireless streaming, Roku Streaming Stick, and smartphones connect directly to enable users to plays music and videos, view pictures and even share other content seamlessly
• Consumer friendly pricing: At only $579 (estimated street price), the Optoma HD142x delivers the best price-per-inch for incredible, large screen high-definition entertainment viewing, whether comparing to an HDTV or another high-definition projector


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sndr15; 07-09-2016 at 04:49 PM.
sndr15 is online now  
post #4 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So they can sell more.

It has a white segment in the color wheel.
TheronB is offline  
post #5 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
So they can sell more.



It has a white segment in the color wheel.


I would at least give it a fair chance. I tried the Epson 2040, but I couldn't stand the SDE. I can't see how the Optoma could be any worse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marc Yu likes this.
sndr15 is online now  
post #6 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Try the BenQ HT2050
TheronB is offline  
post #7 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Try the BenQ HT2050


I did. It's great. Just too bad Amazon shipped it to me without an Amazon box and it was all dented up. Shipping label was placed on the manufacturer box. Had to send it back. Now I'm just considering options.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #8 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ok... I'd compare this model to the BenQ TH670.

It's a versatile projector, but the white and color brightness will be quite different unless it's very dim.

The TH670 had bad uniformity...have to wait and see with this one.
TheronB is offline  
post #9 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Ok... I'd compare this model to the BenQ TH670.



It's a versatile projector, but the white and color brightness will be quite different unless it's very dim.



The TH670 had bad uniformity...have to wait and see with this one.


I used this to look at projectors that would match my screen size and throw. The HD142X is on there, the HT2050 is not.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...d&tr=&sort=%24


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #10 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=%24&sz=15

When I sorted your link by brand, it was there.

Never mind.. I think the data you inputted didn't stay.

What is your screen size and throw?

Last edited by TheronB; 07-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
TheronB is offline  
post #11 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=%24&sz=15



When I sorted your link by brand, it was there.





What is your screen size and throw?


Update the throw to 12 feet and the screen size to 110 inches.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #12 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 43
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Try this one... I can't use them on my phone.

It does seem a little long for that small of a screen though.

Can't you ceiling mount closer?

Last edited by TheronB; 07-09-2016 at 11:02 PM.
TheronB is offline  
post #13 of 56 Unread 07-09-2016, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm



Try this one... I can't use them on my phone.



It does seem a little long for that small of a screen though.



Can't you ceiling mount closer?


Unfortunately I can't. See so the HT2050 is out of the question for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #14 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm



Try this one... I can't use them on my phone.



It does seem a little long for that small of a screen though.



Can't you ceiling mount closer?


Would you agree that the HT2050 wouldn't work out for me based on the info I presented.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #15 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 696
When you input BenQ HT2050 and 110" screen into the calculator it shows a throw range of 9' 2" to 12'.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #16 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
When you input BenQ HT2050 and 110" screen into the calculator it shows a throw range of 9' 2" to 12'.


So mine is definitely cutting it close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #17 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Yes it's cutting it close. You can't be approximate with your throw distance. You need to make an accurate measurement from the point where the front of the lens will be to the surface of the screen. But you've already said you had an HT2050 in your home and liked the image, so don't you already know that it will work with your screen from that distance?
Dave in Green is online now  
post #18 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Yes it's cutting it close. You can't be approximate with your throw distance. You need to make an accurate measurement from the point where the front of the lens will be to the surface of the screen. But you've already said you had an HT2050 in your home and liked the image, so don't you already know that it will work with your screen from that distance?


Price and spec wise I like the Optoma now. How much different or worse it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #19 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndr15 View Post
Price and spec wise I like the Optoma now. How much different or worse it?
How do you expect anyone to be able to answer your question when no one has even seen an HD142X because they don't go on sale until July 20?

Again, can you describe how the BenQ HT2050 worked for you when you tried it in your home? Did it fill your screen? There's a pretty strong consensus that it's the best overall of the sub-$1,000 DLP projectors. If it worked on your screen when you had it then you're not likely to find a better option at that price.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #20 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
How do you expect anyone to be able to answer your question when no one has even seen an HD142X because they don't go on sale until July 20?

Again, can you describe how the BenQ HT2050 worked for you when you tried it in your home? Did it fill your screen? There's a pretty strong consensus that it's the best overall of the sub-$1,000 DLP projectors. If it worked on your screen when you had it then you're not likely to find a better option at that price.


True, but the specs are out on the Optoma and many have used the HD141X I would think. I had issues filling my screen perfectly with the HT2050. The image overlapped the frame and it wasn't centered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #21 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndr15 View Post
... I had issues filling my screen perfectly with the HT2050. The image overlapped the frame and it wasn't centered.
If the image overlapped the screen frame it confirms the HT2050 can project a larger than 110" image from your throw distance. You just need to adjust the zoom until the image doesn't overlap the frame. If the image wasn't centered that can also be corrected without having to get a new projector. The screen image looks just fine in the image you posted when you called the HT2050 "AMAZING."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndr15 View Post
I just got the HT2050 today. One word. AMAZING.





Can anyone with calibration settings? I have on Cinema Mode for the moment. Color temp is Warm.

Should the lens cap get placed back on each time I'm finished using it or will that mess up the picture?
Dave in Green is online now  
post #22 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
aerodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Here is a snippet of what Projector Central had to say about the 141X. I expect the 142X will produce similar observations:

Quote:
Color light output. Despite producing over 3,000 lumens of white light, the HD141X tops out at just over 1,000 lumens of colored light. This can make highlights appear too bright and colors look dull or drab in some scenes, especially if using image modes other than Cinema.

Rainbow effect. The HD141X has a 2x-speed color wheel, so rainbows are a possibility with this projector. If you already know that you see rainbows on slow DLP color wheels, you should count on seeing them here.
If I were faced with choosing between the 2050 and 142X, I'd go with the Benq all the way.
Marc Yu likes this.
aerodynamics is online now  
post #23 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
If the image overlapped the screen frame it confirms the HT2050 can project a larger than 110" image from your throw distance. You just need to adjust the zoom until the image doesn't overlap the frame. If the image wasn't centered that can also be corrected without having to get a new projector. The screen image looks just fine in the image you posted when you called the HT2050 "AMAZING."


It was amazing, no doubt. But $799 vs $550 for a budget projector I can invest the savings in audio etc....

I never really used the 1.3 zoom because I thought it would degrade the image.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #24 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Here is a snippet of what Projector Central had to say about the 141X. I expect the 142X will produce similar observations:







If I were faced with choosing between the 2050 and 142X, I'd go with the Benq all the way.


I'm willing to test it out. That's what Amazon returns are for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #25 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
aerodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Seems like you've already made up your mind. Hope it works out for you.
aerodynamics is online now  
post #26 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Seems like you've already made up your mind. Hope it works out for you.


Not quite. It's all about how it's going to look and it pays off to spend some time with it to potentially save $250. If the image is slightly worse I'm ok with that, but not if its a lot worse. I couldn't stand the SDE on the Epson 2040 that I tried.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #27 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
aerodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You could also try the 141x.

Jet.com has free returns and 15% off coupons which would bring it down to 467.50 $520.

My guess is the 142x is basically the same projector with updated software but the guts should largely be the same.

EDIT: Forgot that max discount is $30 so you're looking at $520.

Last edited by aerodynamics; 07-10-2016 at 01:59 PM.
aerodynamics is online now  
post #28 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
You could also try the 141x.



Jet.com has free returns and 15% off coupons which would bring it down to 467.50 $520.



My guess is the 142x is basically the same projector with updated software but the guts should largely be the same.



EDIT: Forgot that max discount is $30 so you're looking at $520.


Here's what I don't understand.
The HD141X has the same contrast ratio as the HD142X will have. 23000:1
Why are they saying its 650:1?

thewirecutter.com
"One of the most interesting projectors to hit the shelves recently is the Optoma HD141X, a 1080p projector in the $600 range, one of the first to hit that price. I found its contrast ratio to be extremely lackluster, around 650:1. This will look much more washed out than our $1,000 pick and even our $500 pick. Light output is lower too, at around 30 foot-lamberts.

The lower price is great, as is the added resolution over our $500 pick, but that contrast ratio is too low to recommend. We’re sure that there will be more 1080p projectors available in the coming year, but this first one isn’t as good of a value as it initially appears. For now, we recommend spending a bit more on the HT1075 or a bit less on the Acer."


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
post #29 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
aerodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This was written about TVs but it applies to projectors as well.
http://www.cnet.com/news/contrast-ra...r-lies-to-you/
aerodynamics is online now  
post #30 of 56 Unread 07-10-2016, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
This was written about TVs but it applies to projectors as well.

http://www.cnet.com/news/contrast-ra...r-lies-to-you/


I read that before, but my question is where thewirecutter.com got their contrast ratio # when making that statement on the HD141X?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sndr15 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off