Epson Home Cinema 3700 - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #451 of 480 Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Well, after waiting forever, I finally got tired and purchased a 3700 this weekend.

I was getting stuck in the perpetual loop of reading projector shortcomings, and always wanting to wait for something else.

Wasn't my first choice but there have been shortcomings with the 5040UB (that I was looking at). I then changed my direction to the Optoma UHD60 (also use my projector for gaming) but was worried about the lens shift in terms of installation easeability with my setup.

This model should hold me over until the 5040 successor implements full 18gb and perhaps lower price down the road; Or just plain overall 4k price drops and even better features with these 4k models.

I'm happy with the 3700 so far.
That was my thinking as well, if I waited for a reasonably priced 4k I'd be waiting awhile, so I might as well get one now and wait on a 4k for next time. At least to give projectors a try (it's my first one), maybe I would hate them or something.
ScottieBones likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 480 Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number05 View Post
Well, after waiting forever, I finally got tired and purchased a 3700 this weekend.

I was getting stuck in the perpetual loop of reading projector shortcomings, and always wanting to wait for something else.

Wasn't my first choice but there have been shortcomings with the 5040UB (that I was looking at). I then changed my direction to the Optoma UHD60 (also use my projector for gaming) but was worried about the lens shift in terms of installation easeability with my setup.

This model should hold me over until the 5040 successor implements full 18gb and perhaps lower price down the road; Or just plain overall 4k price drops and even better features with these 4k models.

I'm happy with the 3700 so far.

well said my friend..we have the same plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #453 of 480 Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysoleverywhere View Post
well said my friend..we have the same plan.

This was my exact line of thinking as well. Since I watch a ton of sports and have more of a media room I can tell you I actually like the 3700 infinitely better than my 5030 simply because of my viewing habits. I'm now watching it on Cinema eco mode (lowest lumen setting I'm aware of) and it's way brighter than I'm used to and very quiet. It's inexpensive enough that I can move it somewhere else in the house late next year if the 5040 gets the HDMI upgrade without it hurting the budget. After a few minor user error tweaks I've been really pleased.
xiaNaix likes this.

post #454 of 480 Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
This was my exact line of thinking as well. Since I watch a ton of sports and have more of a media room I can tell you I actually like the 3700 infinitely better than my 5030 simply because of my viewing habits. I'm now watching it on Cinema eco mode (lowest lumen setting I'm aware of) and it's way brighter than I'm used to and very quiet. It's inexpensive enough that I can move it somewhere else in the house late next year if the 5040 gets the HDMI upgrade without it hurting the budget. After a few minor user error tweaks I've been really pleased.
what settings are you using currently?
post #455 of 480 Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I bought an epson 3500 refurb from epson back in january 2016 for $1000 delivered. Both my wife and I are retired and watch a lot of TV / Movies. We use it as our primary TV and have over 6800 hours on the original bulb run in ECO mode and it is still going strong. I did purchase a replacement bulb but since this one is working fine I won't change it until i have to. I could not be happier with the 3500 and i am sure you will be happy with the 3700. Worst could happen is the bulb explodes but that is highly unlikely besides its still under warranty for another 16 months (got 3 year warranty when purchased with my mastercard). The projector has been putting a banner up every time it starts for about a minute saying it is time to replace the bulb and to contact an epson retailer.
post #456 of 480 Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have any idea how this projector will compare to an Optoma HD33? It is dying on me and I have been considering the 5040UB but it is too much money for the compromises it has in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
post #457 of 480 Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
what settings are you using currently?

Haven't had it long enough yet to dial in too many settings. I've used the Projectorreviews settings from their website and will likely throw in the Disney WOW disc this weekend.
post #458 of 480 Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 PM

So is this projector going to be too bright in a light controlled room with a 92" screen even in eco mode? I don't expect perfect blacks of course but don't want worse than my Optoma HD33.

post #459 of 480 Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Sorry to spam the thread but the 3100 is identical in hardware and features but I just less bright right? It might be a better fit for a light controlled theatre room?

post #460 of 480 Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
So is this projector going to be too bright in a light controlled room with a 92" screen even in eco mode? I don't expect perfect blacks of course but don't want worse than my Optoma HD33.

Seems like it would be awfully bright for that. Are you just using it for movies?
post #461 of 480 Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Quote:
Sorry to spam the thread but the 3100 is identical in hardware and features but I just less bright right? It might be a better fit for a light controlled theatre room?
Besides brightness the only difference is that the 3700 has internal speakers and the 3100 does not. Since most people use a separate sound system the lack of internal speakers in the 3100 is irrelevant to most. For a smaller screen in a light controlled theater room the 3100 should be bright enough for most. On their least bright settings projectorcentral.com measured the 3700 at ~1,600 lumens and the 3100 at ~1,300 lumens.
post #462 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 03:57 AM

thats what cinema mode is for

post #463 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
thats what cinema mode is for

Sorry, what do you mean it's for?
post #464 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Factory stock 3D color calibration is so poor on the 3700.

I'm a professional commercial advertising photographer and I think the amount of save slots (10) for user settings on the 3700 is too low. I've been thinking of getting into contact with Epson to ask for a firmware update that increases the amount of slots.

The thing is, is that every 3D movie I have watched is calibrated differently. I.e. watch Gravity 3D on the standard setting and all the whites are green. Calibrate RGB it so it looks perfect and put on something like Tron 3D and everything is off again. Watching a movie with the "true" grading intent of the cinematographer and director adds a whole dimension to the experience.

So like a projectionist I have written notes on the calibration of every 3D movie (from sharpness, tint to saturation, to RGB values, etc) on pieces of A4 paper, it's kind of a hassle to input them again and again for every movie. I wonder how much trouble it would be to increase it from 10 slots to 50 slots or 99 or so? In terms of ROM memory the data is negligible.

For 2D it's not a (big) problem, there the calibration values that projectorcentral lists are ok.

Anyone with me?
post #465 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold333 View Post

I'm a professional commercial advertising photographer and I think the amount of save slots (10) for user settings on the 3700 is too low. I've been thinking of getting into contact with Epson to ask for a firmware update that increases the amount of slots.

The thing is, is that every 3D movie I have watched is calibrated differently. I.e. watch Gravity 3D on the standard setting and all the whites are green. Calibrate RGB it so it looks perfect and put on something like Tron 3D and everything is off again. Watching a movie with the "true" grading intent of the cinematographer and director adds a whole dimension to the experience.

So like a projectionist I have written notes on the calibration of every 3D movie (from sharpness, tint to saturation, to RGB values, etc) on pieces of A4 paper, it's kind of a hassle to input them again and again for every movie. I wonder how much trouble it would be to increase it from 10 slots to 50 slots or 99 or so? In terms of ROM memory the data is negligible.

For 2D it's not a (big) problem, there the calibration values that projectorcentral lists are ok.

Anyone with me?
Any chance that you'd share that list of settings?
post #466 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
Any chance that you'd share that list of settings?
Sure, why would I hide them? Give me some time to collect the ones from the movies I have.

But bear in mind that I am projecting on a 230 inch screen which is matt painted white (RAL 9016). YMMV.
xiaNaix and reechings like this.
post #467 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sure, why would I hide them? Give me some time to collect the ones from the movies I have.

But bear in mind that I am projecting on a 230 inch screen which is matt painted white (RAL 9016). YMMV.
Holy crap, 230! That must be sick!

post #468 of 480 Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Anyone with me?
That seems like an awful lot of work IMO. I would calibrate 3d mode with a meter "through the glasses" to achieve at least a decent white balance adjusting bias and gain with RGB settings to get a fairly even 6500K throughout the IRE white fields range. Use the same glasses for 3D viewing.

As annoying as it may be, seeing shifts in whites between movies, that's how it's mastered unfortunately, but you should feel confident that your projector is at least not at "fault".

I'm a professional sound engineer/mixer, and the center channel/dialog in movies drives me crazy, because they are all over the place too. I feel myself wanting to constantly adjust the center channel volume for starters, but I also want to dig in to the EQ settings and change them, sometimes drastically....but I don't.

I just tell myself..well, the person in charge of mixing this didn't really know what they were doing.

No matter how many memory slots you have, you'd eventually run out, and possibly want more in the future.

Just my $0.02.....
post #469 of 480 Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM

This may be a silly question but with the MHL HDMI port on a 3100, would you have to have the audio out port connected to your stereo to get sound? I like the idea of casting from my phone to a Chromecast or something but don't want to use my phone speaker. I guess i could use a Bluetooth speaker or something but kind of takes away the point for me.

post #470 of 480 Old 09-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Just installed my 3100 last night and it looks great so far. It is darn bright and a little noisier than the HD33 it replaced. I think I am going to try a ND2 filter to see what difference it makes because I've already darkened it as much as possible and some white scenes are still a little intense. Does anyone have any ideas about what size would work the best? Thanks

post #471 of 480 Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 AM

What settings is everyone using?
post #472 of 480 Old 10-06-2017, 04:52 PM

OMG, I had my Epson SG03 glasses. Just got the Xpand 105 RF X'1s

The Xpands let so much more light through.

The Epsons are slightly bluer white balanced the Xpands slightly yellower, but the Xpands let so much more light through.

Ill try to post some through the glasses comparison shots soon.

Edit: You'd think a blue balance is better than that nasty yellow-green. But no way. The Xpands feel perfect, a natural 5500 KV bright normal daylight look. The Epson feel like that have that unnatural blue haze that some LCD screens had back in 2003/2005. Kind of bummed I bought the Epsons thinking they would have been perfectly matched to this 3700/6700, no way! The Xpands so much brighter!
reechings likes this.

Last edited by gold333; 10-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #473 of 480 Old 10-06-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
OMG, I had my Epson SG03 glasses. Just got the Xpand 105 RF X'1s

The Xpands let so much more light through.

The Epsons are slightly bluer white balanced the Xpands slightly yellower, but the Xpands let so much more light through.

Ill try to post some through the glasses comparison shots soon.

Edit: You'd think a blue balance is better than that nasty yellow-green. But no way. The Xpands feel perfect, a natural 5500 KV bright normal daylight look. The Epson feel like that have that unnatural blue haze that some LCD screens had back in 2003/2005. Kind of bummed I bought the Epsons thinking they would have been perfectly matched to this 3700/6700, no way! The Xpands so much brighter!
Got some Samsung 5100s incoming, hope I have a good experience too

post #474 of 480 Old 10-08-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Got some Samsung 5100s incoming, hope I have a good experience too

Actually, I wasn't precise enough. The Xpands do not have a yellow color cast at all. It's the Epson glasses that have such a heavy blue tint. I would love some comparisons with the 105's against a brand other than Epson, as for me the Epson's are eliminated now. Do you have 105's and if so, can you test the Samsungs againt them? Heck, I'm even running some 3D blurays at 3D brightness of medium instead of high after switching to the Xpands after having used the Epsons for months.

Would love some other opinions

PS: gonna post those calibrations soon. I have movie calibration A4 sheets lying everywhere, haven't gotten around to collating yet.
reechings likes this.
post #475 of 480 Old 10-08-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, I wasn't precise enough. The Xpands do not have a yellow color cast at all. It's the Epson glasses that have such a heavy blue tint. I would love some comparisons with the 105's against a brand other than Epson, as for me the Epson's are eliminated now. Do you have 105's and if so, can you test the Samsungs againt them? Heck, I'm even running some 3D blurays at 3D brightness of medium instead of high after switching to the Xpands after having used the Epsons for months.

Would love some other opinions

PS: gonna post those calibrations soon. I have movie calibration A4 sheets lying everywhere, haven't gotten around to collating yet.
Sorry don't have any compatible 3D glasses besides the samsungs incoming. Hopefully they work well, I have Spider Man Homecoming in 3D waiting to test them with.

post #476 of 480 Old 10-08-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry don't have any compatible 3D glasses besides the samsungs incoming. Hopefully they work well, I have Spider Man Homecoming in 3D waiting to test them with.

SP Homecoming is kind of dark. I think I set my gamma up a notch for that.

We really need someone to test the Xpands against something other than the Epson SG03's as they clearly beat those. Come on folks, lets determine the best glasses for this projector.
post #477 of 480 Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cooling Down

Hello

I have a question to other Epson Home Cinema PJ owners.
I just bought home cinema projector tw6700 (HC3700) and for some reason projector when switched off is not cooling down. All my other projectors (old Sanyo and Panasonic) cool down for about a minute after switching them off. Is this normal that Epson just shuts off without fan left on for a while?
post #478 of 480 Old 10-09-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
@boomerek , many Epson models feature their Instant Off technology which they say has "no cool down period," so the fan shuts off as soon as the projector is powered off.
boomerek likes this.
post #479 of 480 Old 10-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@boomerek , many Epson models feature their Instant Off technology which they say has "no cool down period," so the fan shuts off as soon as the projector is powered off.
Yeah it's kind of funny on my 3100 it goes into high blower mode when I first turn it on for about ten seconds but like you said, turns off with little noise at all when powered off.

post #480 of 480 Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Picked up some Sasmung 5100 3D glasses and they seem to work very well so far without any noticeable crosstalk or ghosting. I'm hoping the battery level indicator that shows up on the projector screen is wrong because it seems to be dropping quicker than it should be.

Also tried out the ND2 filter. It does a nice job of lowering the brightness in my dark room and seems pretty subtle. That being said I think I've gotten used to the extra brightness and like it more without the filter. I also didn't notice any real change in black level, just acted more like a dimmer mode than eco.

If anyone has any calibration settings they want to share i would enjoy trying them out. I have stayed pretty close to stock settings but have adjusted gamma down to -1 and brightness down to 45 or 46 with default color settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page