Epson Home Cinema 3700 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #31 of 485 Old 10-10-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Do the 3D glasses from Panasonic plasmas work?
Hello
Yes they do. Samsung RF glasses too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 485 Old 10-10-2016, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 6
What's a good brand of glasses that actually block out light from the side
Tried the samsungs and the light that gets in from the side is very distracting and makes me have to focus very hard on the screen
post #33 of 485 Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
So the difference between the 3100 and 3700 is 3,000 lumens/70,000:1 contrast vs 2,600 lumens/60,000:1 contrast? In other words, slightly brighter? Any other difference besides speakers for the 3700?

post #34 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
So the difference between the 3100 and 3700 is 3,000 lumens/70,000:1 contrast vs 2,600 lumens/60,000:1 contrast? In other words, slightly brighter? Any other difference besides speakers for the 3700?
For 3d image to pop you need all lumens one can get. So it escapes me what was the idea to price 3100 just $200 below a model with speakers and 400 more lumens. But, no one reviewed those models yet and no one measured their real output in medium lamp cinema mode, for an example.
On a practical side - 3700 is in stock at B&H and 3100 is not. My 3700 will be here today - i ordered it week ago, then cancelled, then ordered again. i am still not sure if i will keep it but i am just curious to compare it to my 2040.
post #35 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 05:45 AM

The 3d is night and day compared to my BenQ
I can watch it comfortably on medium lamp mode without any adjustments on my grey wall.
post #36 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 03:08 PM

So, i have received my 3700. I ran it side by side with 2040 and conclusions are, well, inconclusive to some level but quite expected.

It is indeed a light cannon and it is nice. I am very glad i got this 3700 and not 3100. I really would like to look at 3900 eventually but probably will stop wasting money now.
So, first and foremost - this is a loud projector as well. Its ECO mode is almost silent, it is probably twice quieter than a 2040 but not nearly as silent as expensive Sony or JVC. Even in ECO mode - you can hear it but it is no longer at the level of annoyance like 2040 when i would watch TV late at night at low volume.

High mode, as expected, is still a jet engine. It has a bit of a lower tone than 2040 but still a jet and imho same or lowder than 2040 high mode noise - not OK at all.
Medium mode of 3700 is not as loud as high mode of 2040, it is lower pitch so does not annoy as much but noticable, as projector is mounted right above my seating place. If I would buy this projector initialy i would probably used 35ft cords and moved it to the end of the room as 3000 lumens is a lot.

So, now good parts. Been a light cannon you do not need anything other than ECO mode for 2D pictures. It is as bright as a TV in ECO mode. Black levels are definitely not Sony level but very decent dark, 2040 would make screen definitely greyish tint, this one is i would say almost exactly in the middle in between 2040 black level and area with no light. As i do not have walls painted black it works. So, i would say, black levels are adequate but could have been better.

Now, best part. Optics of this device is on the different level from 2040. Screen is perfectly sharp corner to corner and focus gives almost perfect perceived contrast. LCD panel adjustment is a deal braker - after 10 min of doing that process i got image i wanted and could not get from 2040, ever. Again, i speak about perception - it is perceived much sharper and has much better local contrast, no greyish content in lines.

So, working mode for now is set to cinema ECO mode and for 3D it is medium lamp. 3D on medium 3700 lamp is twice brighter at least compared to 2040.

If it is worth 2x price of a 2040 - i am not sure at all. Most of differences are at the level that i am sure my wife or kids would not even notice. interpolation, fine processing, all settings seem to work same but a little bit better and menu got additional adjustments and levers to pull. I would not be very surprised to find out eventually that 2040 got same processor board with same exact code and just turned off features. go figure.

But, lens is indeed of a different class. if you move your nose 2ft away from a 100" screen - you do see it as clear as a day. Go back to a seating position 12" away from the screen, and, well, you know.
Vertical and horizontal lens shift is nice, very nice. Only problem - i already spent half a day finding exact location to drill into the ceiling to hang old projector in a dead optical center of the screen.

So, i would say, for $1500 from B&H - if it not your last money, it gives you a very good if not best i saw to the date 3D projector. As 3D content is almost exclusively the stuff we watch with kids - 3700 stays.
If all you want is 2D content - i would not be so sure. black levels are decent, better than on $650 2040, but are they $900 better? I seriously doubt it. But, next device to top 3700 would be Sony 45ES and this is an another $500 on top of a 3700 price, so, decide for yourself.

Device came with very well set colors in all modes. Slider to set skin tones is very useful, again, definitely a feature artificially taken away from the 2040 menu. Overall i am pleased and if wife will not find out - i intend to keep this one. Need to sell 2040 now.
sunbae and smett like this.
post #37 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Did you notice an ghosting with 3D content.
post #38 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Did you notice an ghosting with 3D content.
3d on both 2040 and 3700 is good. As 3700 is way brighter - 3d image gets much more 'pop' and overall looks way better.

We're watching narnia now with kids - well, i can tell now it was worth extra $. Extra lumens do the work and black level is not perceived grey at all. I am glad i got it, it is a good upgrade.
post #39 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Do you have Happy Feet 2 in 3D? This will show if the 3700 has problems with ghosting or crosstalk.

post #40 of 485 Old 10-11-2016, 11:59 PM

I found the blacks to be very grey
In the opening scene of star wars where the text rolls down it was almost completely grey.
I've had to turn the brightness all the way down at the expense of shadows
post #41 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Do you have Happy Feet 2 in 3D? This will show if the 3700 has problems with ghosting or crosstalk.
crosstalk is usually an issue with glasses, not a projector, nevertheless, i do not have that issue with my setup.
post #42 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeO_Sk8eR View Post
In the opening scene of star wars where the text rolls down it was almost completely grey.
Eco mode, Cinema, auto iris on - it is OK. What you can do also - try moving projector further away, to the limit of zoom and see if that helps. i am using 1.1 gain white screen, so it not perceived as grey. But, well, next price mark for really good black levels is at $3k. It is a vicious loop, to chase the perfection.
But, if you got it from B&H - they will honor 30 day return.
post #43 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkinpol View Post
crosstalk is usually an issue with glasses, not a projector, nevertheless, i do not have that issue with my setup.
I saw slight crosstalk in the Tangled lantern scene, but setting the correct screen size and changing the depth setting to 1 resolved most of it.
Still some there but i only notice if i really look for it.
The only time i see a big problem is in that same scene where the lanterns come out at you, then i can sort of see a shadow of them, apart from that though changing the settings has made it near perfect and completely perfect if you don't go out of your way to look for it
post #44 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I saw slight crosstalk in the Tangled lantern scene, but setting the correct screen size and changing the depth setting to 1 resolved most of it.
Still some there but i only notice if i really look for it.
The only time i see a big problem is in that same scene where the lanterns come out at you, then i can sort of see a shadow of them, apart from that though changing the settings has made it near perfect and completely perfect if you don't go out of your way to look for it
i just sat and watched samples from my disks and files, and adjusted 3D. So, i have 100" screen and i see best effect when i set depth to '3' and screen size to '190' - I just like images to pop. Ghosting i saw a bit in same scenes you mentioned - when objects fly to the max, like bubbles in the end of a "despicable me 2", but overall it is pretty good.
setting screen to real size and depth to 1 indeed removes any sign of issue but image gets a bit too flat this way. anyway, it is good to have flexibility.

i think you should try ditching your grey screen - try out any decent white screen and i bet results will be better. get any of fixed elite screens from amazon that in $200-$220 range - you can always return it back in same packaging for free if you will not like it. i think it will actually improve perceived contrast compared to grey screen you have. i also justran starting scene of star wars IV, image is definitely not grey but iris opens a bit. if i switch from eco to medium mode it looks worse. if you use grey screen with medium lamp setting it may be the reason.

PS. btw, just to confirm - in your 3700 package, did you get 3D glasses or not? mine did not have it and it is quite odd as old 3500 was shipping with glasses. 3700 only had a printed small manual and a remote in the box.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-12-2016 at 05:33 AM.
post #45 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
i just sat and watched samples from my disks and files, and adjusted 3D. So, i have 100" screen and i see best effect when i set depth to '3' and screen size to '190' - I just like images to pop. Ghosting i saw a bit in same scenes you mentioned - when objects fly to the max, like bubbles in the end of a "despicable me 2", but overall it is pretty good.
setting screen to real size and depth to 1 indeed removes any sign of issue but image gets a bit too flat this way. anyway, it is good to have flexibility.

i think you should try ditching your grey screen - try out any decent white screen and i bet results will be better. get any of fixed elite screens from amazon that in $200-$220 range - you can always return it back in same packaging for free if you will not like it. i think it will actually improve perceived contrast compared to grey screen you have. i also justran starting scene of star wars IV, image is definitely not grey but iris opens a bit. if i switch from eco to medium mode it looks worse. if you use grey screen with medium lamp setting it may be the reason.

PS. btw, just to confirm - in your 3700 package, did you get 3D glasses or not? mine did not have it and it is quite odd as old 3500 was shipping with glasses. 3700 only had a printed small manual and a remote in the box.
Mine didn't have any with it, although mine is the tw6700 (Europe)
I'm afraid my walls are magnolia so a white screen causes too much ambient light and washes out the entire picture.
What i did was cover the entire wall around the screen area in velvet + some of the side walls and ceiling.
This worked for my benq but this one is sooooo much brighter it's reversing the effects :/
Anything else I could do to improve things? force awakens opening scens is very grey on cinema default for me.
Painting the room is not an option as it's rented.
Will definitely try your settings for 3d when i get home.
post #46 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Mine didn't have any with it, although mine is the tw6700 (Europe)
I'm afraid my walls are magnolia so a white screen causes too much ambient light and washes out the entire picture.
What i did was cover the entire wall around the screen area in velvet + some of the side walls and ceiling.
This worked for my benq but this one is sooooo much brighter it's reversing the effects :/
Anything else I could do to improve things? force awakens opening scens is very grey on cinema default for me.
Painting the room is not an option as it's rented.
Will definitely try your settings for 3d when i get home.
If you have a simple white bedding sheet - try it first to see what it will do. again, the trick is not the actual contrast but a perceived one and a brighter light reflected from white screen actually helps. running this light cannon in eco mode for 2D also helps a lot.
before i settled on a screen color i tried my photo backdrops - i have both white and neutral grey ones, and i did not like at all how image looks on the grey base. some people praise it, but, i am just not sold at all.

other than that - well, there is no gimmicks, next price point would be $2k for sony 45es but it is just a marginal step up and imho $2k for a 1080p device today is a foolish move, 5040 is a real step up and then JVC units, but it is even more money. i would try a white screen first with a nd2 filter, may be. again, my grief with 5040 is its size, look at your 3700 and visualize a box nearly 2 times bigger on your ceiling. it is beyond my comprehension why epson chose such a form factor for 5040 and why they could not pack it all into the same body 3700 uses.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-12-2016 at 06:12 AM.
post #47 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 AM

I was going to go for one of the higher end models but due to the limited chipset it has i decided against it.
I game on the xbox and the PS4 both of which are getting HDR games and neither of which would be supported on that projector.
If i was going to spend that kind of money on a projector I would want it to do all that I need, hence this projector as a compromise until a better 4k model comes out hopefully next year

It's just the blacks that really disappointed me, ill try hold a white sheet over the black areas tonight and see what they do

Maybe a filter is on order, would really like to fix the 2d image as the 3d is spectacular in terms of brightness and colour and i don't think i could go back to a dimmer one
post #48 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It's just the blacks that really disappointed me, ill try hold a white sheet over the black areas tonight and see what they do

Maybe a filter is on order, would really like to fix the 2d image as the 3d is spectacular in terms of brightness and colour and i don't think i could go back to a dimmer one
Holding a white patch against black area will not help much as an effect here is not an actual contrast but a perceived one by your brain when you see difference between brightest and dimmest point of the screen.
post #49 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Holding a white patch against black area will not help much as an effect here is not an actual contrast but a perceived one by your brain when you see difference between brightest and dimmest point of the screen.
Wouldn't the white screen brighten up the image and wash it out more?
post #50 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't the white screen brighten up the image and wash it out more?
It depends upon several factors, really. It will be washed out if you have any kind of a direct ambient light, windows or lights - does not matter. When kids turn on local lights to help to see snacks better image does suffer indeed.
If you turn off all lights, with just a reflected light I personally prefer white screen by far. Some may not agree, it really is a matter of a personal choice and depends upon room setup a lot. But i think it is a first thing to try before returning back projector and shelling out $500-$1000 more on the different unit.

I am in the same boat, really, There are certain benefits i like about this model, lens is great, sharpness is great, colors OK, black levels adequate... Lowest grade cheap projectors really gained a lot this year compared to mid-range units. Only real benefit i get from this unit compared to 2040 is way, way more light in the medium lamp mode for 3D that really popped up image big time with still a more or less tolerable fan noise. All convenience features I would not care less about. Meh. May be it would be better to get 5040 and deal with its size somehow. Not sure. I still more like it than dislike it, compared to what i had. Yesterday`s movie experience was really good, in 2D. Noticeably better than old one with 2040.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-12-2016 at 07:05 AM.
post #51 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Wink

Quote:
Hello, i have my Epson TW6700 for about two weeks.
I did improved the black level very much with these basic settings:

Color: Natural
Eco mode
Gamma: 0
Deinterlacing - OFF
Epson super white - ON
Frame interpolation - Off or Min
Color Temp: 6500K
Skin Tone: 2
IRIS: High Speed

I have a 92" 1.0 gain pull down budget screen.
I will wait for any calibration settings from reviews, but i am very happy with the actual picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_221655.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1712193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_221600.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1712201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_212847.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1712209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_212609.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1712217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_212433.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1712225  

Name:	20161011_212400.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	1712233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_210921.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1712241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161010_225227.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1712249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161010_223402.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1712257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161010_222909.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1712265  

Name:	20161010_221240.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1712273  
bwcafishing likes this.

Last edited by nunofcp; 10-12-2016 at 10:28 AM.
post #52 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Does super white not completely crush shadows?
post #53 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I do not want to retype it all again - here it is.
The Offical Epson 2040 Thread

i looked at my 3700 and it requires very little alterations. also, its color adjustments are not working as on 2040 - they should be done via RGBCMYK menu under advanced, and it only needs to reduce green brightness a bit, down to 46-48 from 50 to make colors equal.

i also just tried nd2 filter and it works very well in 2D mode but i absolutely did not like again an effect in 3D mode, and with this projector it is not very convenient to put it on and off.

super white alters curve of contrast, low brightness for dark areas actually should not be involved. anyway, after super white is engaged you need to run basic black clipping and white clipping files as described in the link above end adjust brightness and contrast. skipping forward - i tried both ways now with 3700 and definitely prefer this super white to be OFF, not engaged. on 2040 it was opposite.

So, by now i tuned 2 modes - dynamic and cinema, did not like much natural and bright cinema. Dynamic mode is now color perfect on my device. The difference i observe between dynamic and cinema modes mostly applies to the aggressiveness of an auto iris, in cinema mode it darkens picture much more than in dynamic. color saturatuion and contrast can be tuned to be very close, but it still a bit darker and i thik it has less shadow details even after tune-up with calibration files, curves are just different.

ND2 filter works best in the dynamic mode, you can try it - you may like the effect it produces. Best black levels possible will be in cinema with nd2 filter, but highlights will suffer more.
I looked many times at star wars start screen - it is not grayish on my device, in any mode, never, IF auto iris is engaged. lucasfilm logo in the very beginning is almost perfectly against deep black as iris goes all the way closed.

As i quite recently did same exercise with 2040 - i can definitely say 3700 produces way less light in dark areas compared to 2040, significantly less. I can see the effect from nd2 filter on black bars below wide screen movie area but it is quite subtle, yet makes some difference.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-12-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #54 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Not in my case, super white ON is recommended by reviewers on epson models like the 3500.
Gamma -1and -2, with iris on, will crush shadow detail, but not with gamma at 0.
I disagree with utkinpol, natural mode always give the most accurate picture for the lastet Epson projectors.
But that just my opinion.
post #55 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Worth trying a filter, i think this projector is just too damn bright for this room
Which one did you use?
post #56 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Worth trying a filter, i think this projector is just too damn bright for this room
Which one did you use?
get a 52mm ND2 filter, look up 2040 thread - DaveInGreen was talking there which ones are good.
post #57 of 485 Old 10-12-2016, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Seems like they put more into the lens and features and took out the glasses to keep pricing the same.
post #58 of 485 Old 10-13-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Seems like they put more into the lens and features and took out the glasses to keep pricing the same.
Do you need the Epson glasses?
from what I read they refresh at 480hz, can't find a comparative pair that lists the same refresh.
post #59 of 485 Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
get a 52mm ND2 filter, look up 2040 thread - DaveInGreen was talking there which ones are good.
Does it screw on or will I need another way to stick it?
post #60 of 485 Old 10-13-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you need the Epson glasses?
from what I read they refresh at 480hz, can't find a comparative pair that lists the same refresh.
I use pnasonic glasses.
https://www.cnet.com/products/panaso...r3d4mu/review/
I got them for $11 apiece, 5 pairs after i tried other inexpensive ones.
They are 120hz refresh. No clue if 480hz are better or not. I looked up some old threads but did not find much useful.

For filter - just use black electrical tape on sides, 52mm fits right in the center

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-13-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page