Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 339 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8582Likes

post #10141 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Is it on sale right now? At best buy or?
Thanks for the tip, i'll remember that

Its on sale from all Authorized dealers until 9/9. Most of the vendors here sell them with no tax depending on where you live and free 2 day shipping. Bestbuy will hit you with tax. So choose wisely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Its on sale from all Authorized dealers until 9/9. Most of the vendors here sell them with no tax depending on where you live and free 2 day shipping. Bestbuy will hit you with tax. So choose wisely
Got that! Not going to make it within a week though i don't think
post #10143 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm ordering mine from Todd at projector people before then sale is over. Sounds like no update to the Epson line.

post #10144 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

[QUOTE=TheBrandon;54737930]I'm glad you're pretty sure but his stand off comments regarding putting his calibrated 5040 against a JVC set the tone. Additionally he is flat out wrong on pricing but I respect his opinion on if he thinks even a $500 difference is worth it. To each their own.

Respectfully, I am in the 5k-10k market so I am done here but again I think I've been fair based on looking at these at inception though not having seen firmware updates or any of the tweaks that have been made as I don't frequent these threads. As I have mentioned the 5040 throws a beautiful image as well as the others. No one loses with a 5040, unless you're a gamer and want 60hz with all the bells and whistles of course. This is really its only major flaw in my eyes. You won't see me parading any projector though as they all leave room for improvements even in the 100k range. To my eyes some are better than others based on needs and their respective price range. Every projector I've mention is in the same price range, down or up.

Best of luck all, enjoy the 5040/6040!!

Edit: If anyone has any questions or would like some more detail on my opinions or has info that proves anything I have said is incorrect please feel free to PM me and I am happy to help however I can and of course listen.[/]

I still will put my Calibrated Epson against the JVC.

I don't care what price range you shop in. What is the point of throwing that out there? Am I supposed to be impressed? If so, I am not, and frankly comments like that make you sound like a pompous, ostentatious, pretentious, egomaniac...with all due respect.

Finally, Myself, and Dave Harper have done more in this forum to help the owners of this projector, than you.

Best of luck to you too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10145 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 151
[quote=Oledurt;54740128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
I'm glad you're pretty sure but his stand off comments regarding putting his calibrated 5040 against a JVC set the tone. Additionally he is flat out wrong on pricing but I respect his opinion on if he thinks even a $500 difference is worth it. To each their own.

Respectfully, I am in the 5k-10k market so I am done here but again I think I've been fair based on looking at these at inception though not having seen firmware updates or any of the tweaks that have been made as I don't frequent these threads. As I have mentioned the 5040 throws a beautiful image as well as the others. No one loses with a 5040, unless you're a gamer and want 60hz with all the bells and whistles of course. This is really its only major flaw in my eyes. You won't see me parading any projector though as they all leave room for improvements even in the 100k range. To my eyes some are better than others based on needs and their respective price range. Every projector I've mention is in the same price range, down or up.

Best of luck all, enjoy the 5040/6040!!

Edit: If anyone has any questions or would like some more detail on my opinions or has info that proves anything I have said is incorrect please feel free to PM me and I am happy to help however I can and of course listen.[/]

I still will put my Calibrated Epson against the JVC.

I don't care what price range you shop in. What is the point of throwing that out there? Am I supposed to be impressed? If so, I am not, and frankly comments like that make you sound like a pompous, ostentatious, pretentious, egomaniac...with all due respect.

Finally, Myself, and Dave Harper have done more in this forum to help the owners of this projector, than you.

Best of luck to you too!

Is that how you read that? I thought that sentence was pretty clear, as I specifically mentioned I had not actually seen any advancements on this device since launch in regards to firmware or tweaks like those that Dave makes or has made. Way to manipulate that at the expense of tooting your own horn. Good gosh LOL. I am glad you help those in this thread regarding this projector. My intentions were only to offer my impressions with this projector and others in its price class but clearly any opinions outside of singing this devices praises has hurt you personally. That sucks, we all love this hobby. Pardon my interruption. Blowing a kiss though really? We're both dudes... come on man Feel free to PM me regarding this device as others here have if you feel you need too. No need to further disprupt this thread and others joys over what you've made personal.
post #10146 of 11070 Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any owners with Roku Ultra with their Epson 5040ub?

I noticed some issue when using the Netflix app.
When scrolling thru movies/shows, between 4K Ultra HD and regular HD (vice versa), my Epson 5040ub would lose signal (blank screen) for a good 10-20 seconds before it would come back. It seems like the Epson 5040ub would lose connection when the contents switches between 4k and HD.
Any idea to fix this?
post #10147 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have applied bright cinema settings from Oledurt and I must say they are very impressive. Thanks for sharing them.

Overall I am super happy with the purchase

Video: Epson TW9300 (5040ub), Denon AVR-X4300H, Panasonic UHD UB700, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, PS4 Pro, Samsung 65KS9000, Xbox 1S, dedicated HT room, 113" Adeo Prestige ref white
Audio: Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 (Dali Zensor: Z5,Z1,vokal,Phantom,Alteco, Sub E-12F), Denon PMA-1500AE,
post #10148 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, i have one more question about the epson 5040ub, since games don't work on the xbox one s with hdr, i've heard that you can use a hd fury linker which will retain the rec 2020 color space for games with 4k and hdr, even though hdr won't work. Is that true? And is 4k SDR with rec 2020 very much superior to 4k SDR with only the normal rec 709 that would be there without a hd fury linker? Thanks
post #10149 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
Here are my final settings for HDR. These supersede all other settings I have offered. Contrast now extends to 1200 nits. Colors all extend to 1000 nits or more. You will want to set your own brightness setting, and you can set the color saturation, and tint settings to your liking.

I would ask that you try the settings as is first, and let me know what you think.

Finally, these are the result of tweaking I have done as well as my calibrator Michael Boeker of High Impact AV.

highimpactav.com

I have spent nearly $500 on multiple Calibrations to achieve this result, on this projector. I would ask, with respect that you limit criticisms of the settings in your space. These were created for me, and my Theater. Your results will vary.

Positive feedback is always welcome. With that here are my complete settings for HDR.

Color Mode Bright Cinema
Brightness 40
Contrast 50
Color Saturation 43
Tint 43
Sharpness 5/5/5
Color Temp 4
Skin Tone 5

Customized
Offset R 50
Offset G 50
Offset B 52
Gain R 52
Gain G 52
Gain B 41

Image Enhancement Preset 1
Power Consumption Medium
Auto Iris Off

Advanced
Gamma 0,1,2,4,6,8,8,6,0

[RGBCMY]
R 53,45,54
G 53,50,40
B 56,43,50
C 67,46,50
M 71,43,54
Y 48,47,49

Epson Super White Off
Lens Iris 0

Signal Menu-->Advanced
HDMI Video Range Expanded
Color Space Auto
Dynamic Range Auto(bright)
Image Processing Fine

Enjoy!

Hey man, thanks so much for your settings. I wanted to ask you, since you have got these great settings for HDR, what do you think about the opinions of some people that on projectors, even this epson, stripping out HDR and only using the Rec 2020 color space along with SDR and 4k, will provide a better result than using HDR with 4k. What's your opinion?
post #10150 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Looks pretty good. So not seen any distortion from the curve?

Might get one if not m
Once I hung it and zero keystoned the projector, the picture is beautiful (1.1 gain, light controlled). No pincushion or distortion is present, brightness and contrast are uniform throughout the picture, no blooming. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
post #10151 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Hey guys, i have one more question about the epson 5040ub, since games don't work on the xbox one s with hdr, i've heard that you can use a hd fury linker which will retain the rec 2020 color space for games with 4k and hdr, even though hdr won't work. Is that true? And is 4k SDR with rec 2020 very much superior to 4k SDR with only the normal rec 709 that would be there without a hd fury linker? Thanks
I had the same thoughts as you before buying the projector because I was reading through all of these posts. I was pulling my hair out about the no HDR gaming stuff, thinking about the HD Linker etc etc. My suggestion to you would be, get the projector. Calibrate it, use it for a few days on multiple sources to get used to it and then make a decision. I tossed the linker idea right out the window once I started gaming on the 5040 lol.
post #10152 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I had the same thoughts as you before buying the projector because I was reading through all of these posts. I was pulling my hair out about the no HDR gaming stuff, thinking about the HD Linker etc etc. My suggestion to you would be, get the projector. Calibrate it, use it for a few days on multiple sources to get used to it and then make a decision. I tossed the linker idea right out the window once I started gaming on the 5040 lol.
Wow is the gaming that good? I will definitely see it before making the decision, i just wanted to see if anyone's done it and how big the difference is with the rec 2020 color space, so i'm guessing no one on the thread has the tried the combination yet?
post #10153 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Hey man, thanks so much for your settings. I wanted to ask you, since you have got these great settings for HDR, what do you think about the opinions of some people that on projectors, even this epson, stripping out HDR and only using the Rec 2020 color space along with SDR and 4k, will provide a better result than using HDR with 4k. What's your opinion?

I have the Oppo 203 and the 5040. The Oppo can strip HDR but currently there is an issue with black levels. That said, I still find the picture better stripping HDR and keeping bt2020 than using any of the HDR settings provided by Dave or Oledurt. They’ve been great starting points for my calibration, and I’ve had my calibrator come out twice. I still have a memory setting for Oledurt’s Bright cinema settings tweaked for my room, as well as Dave Harpers but when I toggle back and forth I keep finding myself preferring the Dig Cinema strip-HDR setting. I think it’s probably due to the black levels. They seem more black without HDR. With either Oledurt or HV the blacks seem more grey and as you make changes the grey just becomes a darker grey yet never get to black. Just my observations for my room, YMMV

post #10154 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post
I have the Oppo 203 and the 5040. The Oppo can strip HDR but currently there is an issue with black levels. That said, I still find the picture better stripping HDR and keeping bt2020 than using any of the HDR settings provided by Dave or Oledurt. They’ve been great starting points for my calibration, and I’ve had my calibrator come out twice. I still have a memory setting for Oledurt’s Bright cinema settings tweaked for my room, as well as Dave Harpers but when I toggle back and forth I keep finding myself preferring the Dig Cinema strip-HDR setting. I think it’s probably due to the black levels. They seem more black without HDR. With either Oledurt or HV the blacks seem more grey and as you make changes the grey just becomes a darker grey yet never get to black. Just my observations for my room, YMMV

Hey thanks for the information buddy, that's something i've heard quite alot of people say, i guess with SDR the picture will just be brighter right? How much rec 2020 does the epson cover though? i think it covers 100% dci p3 right?
One more question, does 4k 10bit rec 2020 and HDR work for movies with the epson and oppo?

Last edited by sahil0909; 09-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #10155 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Hey thanks for the information buddy, that's something i've heard quite alot of people say, i guess with SDR the picture will just be brighter right? How much rec 2020 does the epson cover though? i think it covers 100% dci p3 right?

One more question, does 4k 10bit rec 2020 and HDR work for movies with the epson and oppo?

I believe it’s close to 100%. Yes on the 4k 10bit rec2020 & HDR. I’m running out of patience with Oppo however as the strip function should be an easy fix. Also, if they can implement an HDR slider like the Panasonic 900 then perhaps an HDR setting would look better. It could very well be that using Oledurts HDR setting with the Panny combo provides great black levels, in which case I would switch in a heartbeat. If Oppo can’t get the strip function to work better or doesn’t implement something similar to the Panny then I may just buy the Panny. For the Oppo I get 4:2:2 12bit HDR bt2020 with no issues paired with the Epson.

post #10156 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe it’s close to 100%. Yes on the 4k 10bit rec2020 & HDR. I’m running out of patience with Oppo however as the strip function should be an easy fix. Also, if they can implement an HDR slider like the Panasonic 900 then perhaps an HDR setting would look better. It could very well be that using Oledurts HDR setting with the Panny combo provides great black levels, in which case I would switch in a heartbeat. If Oppo can’t get the strip function to work better or doesn’t implement something similar to the Panny then I may just buy the Panny. For the Oppo I get 4:2:2 12bit HDR bt2020 with no issues paired with the Epson.

Wow close to 100% rec 2020!! Yeah oppo does have some problems, but i think dolby vision is the main advantage over panny, if you don't need DV, i think the panasonic would be great too! Hope the problem get fixed for you though!
So i guess i'll just have to wait and see once i get the epson, if i find bt 2020 with hdr looks good enough for me i'll just stick with it, if not then i might try out the hd fury linker, that's the only way i've heard i can strip off hdr and remain with bt 2020 and 4k! Any idea where i can get the hd fury linker? a link maybe? I don't know if they are different types or just one
i actually saw two different ones with different prices, so i'd love if someone could point me to the right one for my needs. thanks
post #10157 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Wow close to 100% rec 2020!! Yeah oppo does have some problems, but i think dolby vision is the main advantage over panny, if you don't need DV, i think the panasonic would be great too! Hope the problem get fixed for you though!

So i guess i'll just have to wait and see once i get the epson, if i find bt 2020 with hdr looks good enough for me i'll just stick with it, if not then i might try out the hd fury linker, that's the only way i've heard i can strip off hdr and remain with bt 2020 and 4k! Any idea where i can get the hd fury linker? a link maybe? I don't know if they are different types or just one

i actually saw two different ones with different prices, so i'd love if someone could point me to the right one for my needs. thanks

Sorry, I was referring to the P3 coverage. Not sure what % the coverage is for bt2020. I don’t know much about the fury integral or linker, but you should be able to find quite a bit of info searching this thread.

post #10158 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am so disappointed with 6040 & 4k discs it looks way too dark for my liking some thing with Netflix 4k stuff . Other than that it rocks. For DVD I am using Oppo203. Any new FW for the 6040 yet?...

Last edited by Soccerdude; 09-04-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #10159 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I am so disappointed with 6040 & 4k discs it looks way too dark for my liking some thing with Netflix 4k stuff . Other than that it rocks. For DVD I am using Oppo203. Any new FW for the 6040 yet?...

Have you tried stripping HDR with the Oppo? The picture will be much brighter with a wider color gamut but you should use the Digital Cinema setting on the 6040 to take advantage of it. When you strip HDR you’ll need to change the target luminance. I find 100 or 150 seems to work best. For HDR Bright Cinema seems to be the best setting, but still some issues with getting deep blacks IMO

post #10160 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Have you used "Strip HDR" on the 203?? Read the above posts.

My 203 does a great job at that setting. Also have oledurts and Harpervision. All look great on mine..

Nice Stuff!
post #10161 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

keep in mind when you strip hdr there will be a color shift. Using the expanded video range under hdmi settings does raise the black floor but you can compensate for this by lowering brightness.

I also find using auto iris really improves the black levels.

Finally, make sure you are using my latest settings.

post #10162 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Do you have a place where we can view the settings and updates?
Or someone else?

Oppo UDP-203 - Receiver Denon X5200W - Projector Epson 5020UB - Projection Screen Elite Screen Mate White 150" gain 1.1
5 Channels Amplifier Emotiva XPA-5 - PreAmplifier Emotiva USP-1 - NAS Qnap 412 4x3TB Disks.
JBL Synthesis : LS80, LS Central, Subwoofer LS120P setup for ATMOS 7.1.4
post #10163 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
keep in mind when you strip hdr there will be a color shift. Using the expanded video range under hdmi settings does raise the black floor but you can compensate for this by lowering brightness.

I also find using auto iris really improves the black levels.

Yeah, I’ve done that. My brightness and contrast were pretty close to your settings after calibrating for Expanded. Even with the Iris backed off to about -10, or even -15 to -20 the blacks just don’t seem as “deep”.

The guy that calibrated my Dig Cinema setting did this for SDR bt2020 so I believe the settings are taking into account any color shift. I badly want to enjoy HDR to its fullest, I’m just not thrilled with the lack of deep blacks. Of course it could be some of the demo material I’m using where maybe the scenes are supposed to be more grey? I like to use the scene in Fate of the Furious (3rd scene) where they are in Berlin at night. Everything looks dark grey vs black, whereas using strip HDR the blacks look much better.

post #10164 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I’ve done that. My brightness and contrast were pretty close to your settings after calibrating for Expanded. Even with the Iris backed off to about -10, or even -15 to -20 the blacks just don’t seem as “deep”.

The guy that calibrated my Dig Cinema setting did this for SDR bt2020 so I believe the settings are taking into account any color shift. I badly want to enjoy HDR to its fullest, I’m just not thrilled with the lack of deep blacks. Of course it could be some of the demo material I’m using where maybe the scenes are supposed to be more grey? I like to use the scene in Fate of the Furious (3rd scene) where they are in Berlin at night. Everything looks dark grey vs black, whereas using strip HDR the blacks look much better.

Try dropping the second gamma point down to -5 and turn the iris on. report back.

post #10165 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Try dropping the second gamma point down to -5 and turn the iris on. report back.

Ok, I’ll try that and will let you know.

post #10166 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 123
getting my EH-TW9300/5040UB tomorrow , mainly using it for movies Full HD/UHD HDR. what are the most accurate picture mode out of the box?. any tips and tricks? or something in the setting that i should be aware of? thanks.

Last edited by marco1975; 09-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
post #10167 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you all for these great tips. I will report back .
post #10168 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
getting my EH-TW9300/5040UB tomorrow , mainly using it for movies Full HD/UHD HDR. what are the most accurate picture mode out of the box?. any tips and tricks? or something in the setting that i should be aware of? thanks.

For normal Blu-ray Natural seems to be the best, and for HDR either Bright Cinema with Auto Bright (HDR 1), or if you can’t get over the whites/blacks clipping due to lack of nits on this pj you could try an HDR-to-SDR conversion which would use Digital Cinema. There is a spreadsheet link on this thread that includes good settings from users Oledurt and Dave Harper.

marco1975 likes this.
post #10169 of 11070 Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

I'm sure you are aware but just a word of caution by dropping point 2 down to -5 will more than likely give black crush, it certainly would on my unit, as you rightly say though using the auto Iris will give better blacks on an all dark scene, I don't use it myself as it's annoying hearing the tap tap tapping when it's opening and closing.

Epson TW9300W 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic ub700, Pana DMP-BD60, Sky HD 2TB, Yamaha RX-A3060, 7.1.2 Atmos), BK XXLS400 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Kef Q300 fronts, Cambridge Audio SX60 Surrounds, SX60 Backs, Harmony 900, x-rite i1D3 colorimeter & Chromapure
post #10170 of 11070 Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 32
some pictures from Star Trek HDR on Bright Cinema settings form Oledurt (unfortunately pictures are not reflecting what eye can see). Jaw dropping effect guaranteed. Several times the scenes of the sun were so bright I had to close my eyes as if it was real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170904_193245_resized.jpg (579.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20170904_180726_resized.jpg (512.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20170904_180813_resized.jpg (471.6 KB, 94 views)
Dave Harper and Oledurt like this.

Video: Epson TW9300 (5040ub), Denon AVR-X4300H, Panasonic UHD UB700, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, PS4 Pro, Samsung 65KS9000, Xbox 1S, dedicated HT room, 113" Adeo Prestige ref white
Audio: Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 (Dali Zensor: Z5,Z1,vokal,Phantom,Alteco, Sub E-12F), Denon PMA-1500AE,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page