Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8582Likes

post #10411 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey guys and gals. So my original PJ had it's power supply fail and Epson sent out a replacement unit last week and we sat down to watch some movies last night and noticed this blob on the image. It would be different colors at times but was sort of "burned" into the image.

Is this dust on the lens? can anyone shed some light on what I am dealing with here? I will be calling Epson back on Monday.

I am pretty frustrated and disappointed so far with the 5040. I am expecting to have to send this one back too.

IMG_0924 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 3
How can I get 4k from xbox one s and let's say apple tv 4k to my epson 9300w
through my onkyo avr?

will a linker solve this problem by connecting it between avr and pj?
And for the audio of xbox and atv4k! how can I get it from the avr, I don't want to use optical cables, should I look for a new 4k avr?

thanks
post #10413 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1985 View Post
Just what the title says. Anyone use thier projectors for games or tv watching? I know some channels have logo brands on the bottom right and they stay there forever , can they burn the image on the lens?
I don't know about LCD projectors but I use to see it a lot on LCD flat panels where a bright business logo was left in the center of the screen on the desk top when not being used for other things.

post #10414 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
iam also very sensitive to fan noise, and i speak from my own experience with this projector, having it on a shelf 2-feet behind me and high close to the ceiling, in Ecco mode and cinema/digital cinema, its realy whisper quiet, but in High mode its very loud and i found it to be bothersome, however even in Ecco mode, i personaly find this projector to be on the bright side.
I have the projector ceiling mounted above my head and cannot hear it in ECO or MEDIUM modes, personally. In HIGH mode, I can hear it, but not to a level that distracts me. In fact, I only really notice that it's loud when I turn it off and then I realize that it was making more noise than I thought. For me and where I have the projector in my room, it's really not an issue. I only use HIGH mode for the 4K HDR Digital setting and, so far, the image quality of that has been worth it. That said, I'm also gonna be experimenting with tweaking some of those settings in MEDIUM mode to see how close I can get to the image I now have in HIGH.

Would love to know what settings folks are using for 1080P SDR.
post #10415 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
How can I get 4k from xbox one s and let's say apple tv 4k to my epson 9300w
through my onkyo avr?

will a linker solve this problem by connecting it between avr and pj?
And for the audio of xbox and atv4k! how can I get it from the avr, I don't want to use optical cables, should I look for a new 4k avr?

thanks
Buy a new AVR
post #10416 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS13TDI View Post
Hey guys and gals. So my original PJ had it's power supply fail and Epson sent out a replacement unit last week and we sat down to watch some movies last night and noticed this blob on the image. It would be different colors at times but was sort of "burned" into the image.

Is this dust on the lens? can anyone shed some light on what I am dealing with here? I will be calling Epson back on Monday.

I am pretty frustrated and disappointed so far with the 5040. I am expecting to have to send this one back too.

That is dust on one of the panels. Try high lamp mode and high altitude for a while. Maybe it can go away, but this is the real dealbreaker for this projector.
post #10417 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
what to adjust for best 3d settings?

where are your settings at for best 3d viewing? less ghosting
post #10418 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1985 View Post
where are your settings at for best 3d viewing? less ghosting
MartyMcFlyy had posted this a week ago, not sure what post number, I just saved the email as I'll used as well. Here's what he wrote:

"Hi Guys,

I am posting settings that will improve 3d experience based on hours of tests:

3d mode: dynamic
3d brightness: medium
power consumption: medium
brightness: 50
3d depth: 1
diagonal screen size 140 inch

Enjoy!

This improves 3d in the main plan of action where most of action takes place.

Let me know what you think."
ana_moo_ana likes this.

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #10419 of 11074 Old 09-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
MartyMcFlyy had posted this a week ago, not sure what post number, I just saved the email as I'll used as well. Here's what he wrote:

"Hi Guys,

I am posting settings that will improve 3d experience based on hours of tests:

3d mode: dynamic
3d brightness: medium
power consumption: medium
brightness: 50
3d depth: 1
diagonal screen size 140 inch

Enjoy!

This improves 3d in the main plan of action where most of action takes place.

Let me know what you think."
3D Brightness should be set to Low to minimize ghosting. You will also need to play around with the 3D Depth setting to see what works best for you. A setting of zero seems to work best for me.
inspector likes this.
post #10420 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

So I've been using Oledurt's Digital Cinema HDR settings. I love them. Only tweak I need to make is to the color. Not adding saturation, but on my projector (assuming it's a bit different from projector to projector), these settings are quite green/blue making faces look pretty sallow. Is there a calibration disc or a recommended way I can tweak these settings to get more accurate color representation? I've been doing it by eye and have come closer, but in my experiments, I have also lost some of the other qualities I like about Oledurt's settings. What are people using to get the color balance right/more accurate to it's intended palette?
post #10421 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've sifted through this thread for a while and can't seem to find "Oledurt's Digital Cinema HDR settings". Can someone please add a link or repost please?

Thanks!
post #10422 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS13TDI View Post

Having owned Epsons in the past I've very familiar with them when it comes to getting a replacement. The first replacement is for sure a refurbished unit that has issues. Call Epson again and tell them the issue (dust blob) and they will send out another unit. That one has less of a chance of having issues, but it still might. Keep doing it until they send you a good one. I know it's ridiculous, but that has been my experience. With my old 8350 I had a total of 6 of that model sent to me over the course of 2 years. When you get your next 5040 make sure to put up computer text to see if the whole screen focuses at the same time. That's a big issue too, I had multiple 3500's that had to be sent back because of that problem.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #10423 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbarnes63 View Post
So my power supply is failing, the unit will turn on and play for 20-30 minutes then turn completely off, no lights, no standby mode. I called Epson support and gave them my info, they said it appeared to be the power supply issue. The rep had me email my receipt to them to verify the purchase date. I purchased from Amazon on June 11th this year, from Hawthorne, new unit. The Epson rep informed me that I am not eligible for the 2 year warranty and to contact Hawthorne. They said that only "Amazon, LLC" units are warrantied by Epson. Amazon being the great company that they are, I started a chat session. I explained to the rep what Epson was doing and they had no problem with me returning the unit for a full refund, 90 days after the purchase date. Amazon could not send me a replacement unit and also did not understand why Epson will not honor the warranty. So in the end Amazon came through for me when Epson failed me. I really like my Epson 5040UB, I think the picture quality and the memory functions are great. Having a failed power supply that appears to be a design defect based on the number of posters this has happened to does not give me confidence in the brand. I could understand Epson not warranting the product from sellers that sell below Manufactures Suggested Retail or shady EBAY sellers but not established Amazon sellers. I may decide to give the 5040UB another try or move onto JVC, either way, I will contact the company first to make sure who I buy from is what they call "Authorized" by them. Do we know when the next Epson sale price will go up?
Amazon is very good with stuff like this. I do not blame Epson on denying you your warranty though. Even though you bought it from Amazon, it was sold through a non Authorized Epson seller. Epson will only warranty products sold by Authorized sellers. The unit you received could have been a B stock, Refurb that was not disclosed, etc etc. When you see a price lower then the normal, chances are they are not authorized. Also, just because the seller is an "established seller" if they are not authorized, it is what it is. Its usually worth paying the extra few hundred bucks and going with an authorized seller. Especially something that is priced the way these projectors are.

When I was about to purchase my projector I considered going through the Ebay route or online non authorized sellers. After getting the run around from multiple places that "claim" these units are under warranty, even though they are not authorized sellers. I decided to do it the right way, spend a little more $$ now, it will save headaches in the future in the event something goes wrong. Plus Epson has always been good to me with warranty issues.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #10424 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNorm View Post
Is judder a problem with the Shield with 4k source "downconverted" to 24Hz?

This device may be a no-go for me because it does not have an optical or digital audio output and only 1 HMDI output. That means "must" get a new AVR which adds substantially to this device's already high cost.

What I don't understand is NVIDIA support site discusses how to connect Shield to a PJ ("just connect an HMDI cable") but then doesn't address what you do about audio/AVR. It does discuss, "If you're using SHIELD TV with a separate AV receiver" but doesn't mention how you would do that (with only 1 output) (splitter? no way).

Of course, the Roku Ultra and Tivo both DO have dig optical outs, but if they only play 4k titles @ 60Hz (so what you are getting is only the 1080p signal... then there is really no point in trying to watch 4k content on them, either?

I hooked my Bolt directly to my PJ and now browsing Netflix title with known 4k content does show "4k Ultra HD" as the source code. When playing a 4k title or just an HD title from Netflix, the PJ info screen shows a "4k source @ 60Hz, SDR 4:2:0". THe Bolt must be upconverting even 1080p to 4k @ 60Hz (which the Epson can handle- just not 60Hz + HDR?).

If my Bolt does "as good as it gets" and does have an optical out, then there is really no reason to add any other streaming box? Only advantage to Shiled, I think, is that it can do 4k + HDR which it down-converts to 24Hz to allow the Epson to handle the input bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb61230 View Post
Yes it is confusing and I wish it just worked. It's still early days though and the root of the problem of course is the 5040ub cannot handle 18Gbps over HDMI. So the Shield is doing the best it can do with the display, and unfortunately the user needs to know what source is doing what. Hey the new SONY projectors can do 18Gbps but the low end one is still 2x the cost of the 5040ub.

To confuse things a bit more, I bought the Shield not for the video, but for the audio. At the time it was the only box that would bitstream ATMOS and the higher end audio formats when most boxes just support DD5.1. So my Plex library is played with the best quality I could give it.

On the down shifting from 60Hz to 24Hz - I think all it is doing is picking which 36 frames to throw out each second. To me that is why there is judder. I'm not an expert as I've never coded a video player - just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
I don't believe you can get HDR at 60hz on this projector. So to watch HDR you must get to 24hz. The Shield allows one to do so.

Then you will be able to watch Amazon in both HDR and 4K (at the same time).

And you will be able to watch Netflix in HDR (but not 4K). Why no 4K? You will have to ask Netflix. I've called them about it and the people answering calls have no clue.

I just keep the Shield at 24hz unless I'm watching sports. Works fine but with the one Netflix limitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 to 24Hz is not "down-converting" anything. The source material is native 24Hz already, so when it is at 60Hz, it's actually adding interpolated frames that aren't in the original. It's not the other way around.
post #10425 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 4230
This coming Wed. the 20th - Epson has a one day sale on the 5040ub and ube projectors - $200.00 off list and Epson will send you a $200.00 gift card to boot ! Just FYI !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #10426 of 11074 Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post
That is dust on one of the panels. Try high lamp mode and high altitude for a while. Maybe it can go away, but this is the real dealbreaker for this projector.

Thank you for the tip. I did try this all day yesterday while watching football and unfortunately it did not shake it loose.

Quote:
So my power supply is failing, the unit will turn on and play for 20-30 minutes then turn completely off, no lights, no standby mode. I called Epson support and gave them my info, they said it appeared to be the power supply issue. The rep had me email my receipt to them to verify the purchase date. I purchased from Amazon on June 11th this year, from Hawthorne, new unit. The Epson rep informed me that I am not eligible for the 2 year warranty and to contact Hawthorne. They said that only "Amazon, LLC" units are warrantied by Epson. Amazon being the great company that they are, I started a chat session. I explained to the rep what Epson was doing and they had no problem with me returning the unit for a full refund, 90 days after the purchase date. Amazon could not send me a replacement unit and also did not understand why Epson will not honor the warranty. So in the end Amazon came through for me when Epson failed me. I really like my Epson 5040UB, I think the picture quality and the memory functions are great. Having a failed power supply that appears to be a design defect based on the number of posters this has happened to does not give me confidence in the brand. I could understand Epson not warranting the product from sellers that sell below Manufactures Suggested Retail or shady EBAY sellers but not established Amazon sellers. I may decide to give the 5040UB another try or move onto JVC, either way, I will contact the company first to make sure who I buy from is what they call "Authorized" by them. Do we know when the next Epson sale price will go up?

I don't know how many we have had in this thread it seems like maybe only a half dozen which seems very small % wise, but it does seem like a trend that could be emerging. I usually don't find myself part of the trends but this time I am. Mine was about 3 months old and had about 200hrs on it when it failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Having owned Epsons in the past I've very familiar with them when it comes to getting a replacement. The first replacement is for sure a refurbished unit that has issues. Call Epson again and tell them the issue (dust blob) and they will send out another unit. That one has less of a chance of having issues, but it still might. Keep doing it until they send you a good one. I know it's ridiculous, but that has been my experience. With my old 8350 I had a total of 6 of that model sent to me over the course of 2 years. When you get your next 5040 make sure to put up computer text to see if the whole screen focuses at the same time. That's a big issue too, I had multiple 3500's that had to be sent back because of that problem.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I called again this morning exactly 1 week from the last call for the previous defective unit and they are sending another one.....He said that he "requested a new unit" but we'll see if a new one shows up. not holding my breath. At least they overnight the unit's which is nice, and this one is at least still usable unlike the last one with the power supply failure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basement Theater/Rec Build 2.0 - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ng-advice.html
post #10427 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 AM

Just wanted to let folks know that I went back in and re-entered Oledurt's Digital Cinema HDR settings as I wasn't sure why faces were looking a bit sallow on some titles. After re-entering Oledurt's settings, something changed. I must have had something dialed in wrong because now colors are spot on.

My bad.

After watching several films with these Digital settings, it's hard to watch regular 1080p or even non HDR content. Oledurt's Digital settings are incredibly rich and deep.

I tried it against Oledurt's Bright Cinema settings and HarperVision. Both had their pros and Oledurt's Bright Cinema definitely gave his own Digital Cinema a run for its money, (HarperVision was a bit too bright and too saturated for my taste, though it looked more like what I think people expect and even what I might default to without comparison), but in the end, Oledurt's Digital Cinema settings just made everything pop in just the right way. I did raise the brightness and saturation by 5 points each, but those are the only settings I adjusted and it's a spectacular image. Yes, it's darker than many people are used to and the colors not as "vibrant," but I believe it's more natural and only seems dark when I compare it directly with brighter, warmer settings.

I watched THE SHALLOWS last night (ridiculous film, but beautiful to look at) and only Oledurt's Digital Cinema HDR setting brought out the richness of the water and the mountains. Oledurt warned that it would take some time for my eyes to adjust to these settings. Now that they have, I'm a convert.
Dave Harper and Oledurt like this.
post #10428 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I finally have some time off from work and was able to try Oledurt's HDR settings on Ghostbusters (2016). I must say that the picture was much improved from my previous HDR setting of gathering info from this forum and tweaking to my eye, and even sitting right under the 6040, medium fan wasn't an issue.
Oledurt likes this.
post #10429 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I finally have some time off from work and was able to try Oledurt's HDR settings on Ghostbusters (2016). I must say that the picture was much improved from my previous HDR setting of gathering info from this forum and tweaking to my eye, and even sitting right under the 6040, medium fan wasn't an issue.
Were you using his Bright Cinema settings or his more recent Digital Cinema settings? I prefer the Digital, personally, though it requires the Epson to be on HIGH. Still, I don't really notice the fan noise when the movie is on and it's worth it for me with what I find to be an improved picture.
post #10430 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyKC View Post
I've sifted through this thread for a while and can't seem to find "Oledurt's Digital Cinema HDR settings". Can someone please add a link or repost please?

Thanks!
Here they are:

Oledurt's settings.

Digital Cinema Mode
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color Saturation 50
Tint 50

Sharpness 5/5/5
Color Temp 4
Skin Tone 3

Customized
Offset R 48
Offset G 48
Offset B 50
Gain R 48
Gain G 61
Gain B 34

Image Preset Mode Preset 2

Power Consumption High
Auto Iris High Speed

Gamma (left to right)
0,-4,-14,-15,-14,-14,-13,0,0

RGBCMY

R 50,23,50
G 78,8,50
B 68,30,50
C 56,31,50
M 76,31,50
Y 44,29,50

Epson Super White off
Lens Iris 0

Signal--->Advanced

HDMI Video Range Expanded
Color Space Auto
Dynamic Range Auto(Bright) aka HDR 1
Image Processing Fine.
post #10431 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Guys!

What settings are everyone using for non HDR material such as 4K SDR and 1080p?
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #10432 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post
Hey Guys!

...and 3D Cinema and 3D Bright Cinema

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector(ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; 5.1 Definitive Speakers (Cte, Towers, Rs); Earthquake P12 sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #10433 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Hey Guys!

(Natural mode) with the color temp. set to (7000) should be the most accurate and the closest to Rec709. that is for (SDR 1080P) out of the box, and that is according to many pro. reviewers and their measurments, i would assume u could also use the same mode for (4K -SDR.) since all of the 4k -SDR. out there that i have seen use Rec709
personaly -to my eyes it looks accurate

Last edited by marco1975; 09-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #10434 of 11074 Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM

I'm guessing from what I've been reading and experiencing, that the HDMI Video Range settings do not save to memory. I have to go back in and change them every time I switch modes. Minor hassle. Debating whether to manually switch modes each time or try and dial in my contrast and brightness settings in Cinema mode to compensate for the Expanded Video mode I have it set to for Digital Cinema HDR. Any chance HDMI Video Range will be able to Save to Memory in a firmware upgrade?
post #10435 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Thanks for the info Craig, the $200 sale price is a great price, now with the extra $200 gift card (takes 30 days to get in) makes this a bargain. I just ordered from John at Projector People, should have in this Friday.

If @Craig Peer gave you the sale tip and you wanted to thank him, you should've ordered it from him!
Craig Peer and reechings like this.
post #10436 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Just Another Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Hey Guys!

This summary (see p. 4) includes some options.
post #10437 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Anyone using this ceiling mount with their 5040/6040?

Crimson JR Projector Mount (Black)
Just placed an order for a 5040 from ProjectorPeople who are including it for free, wondering if it's okay/safe or if I need to cough up $$ for a Chief.
post #10438 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 57
$2499 with a $200 gc at bb today - not sure whether to jump or wait.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.

Panamorph UH380 $435
Brand new rift/controllers $325
post #10439 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Anyone using this ceiling mount with their 5040/6040?

Crimson JR Projector Mount (Black)
Just placed an order for a 5040 from ProjectorPeople who are including it for free, wondering if it's okay/safe or if I need to cough up $$ for a Chief.
I'm using this (also got it free from Projector People), and wondered the same. Working great, and I've had to take the projector down once and swap it out due to a power supply issue - no problems whatsoever. I'd imagine if the projector didn't do lens shift I'd want to go for the Chief, but so far so good.
post #10440 of 11074 Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
$2499 with a $200 gc at bb today - not sure whether to jump or wait.
I decided to order Epson today , almost buy jvc or Sony but the more I read about hdr......... non projector under $25k able to do true 4k hdr because lumens output .......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page