AVS Forum banner

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread

3M views 22K replies 2K participants last post by  pandafox 
#1 · (Edited)

MSRP: $2999.00

SCROLL DOWN FOR KNOWN ISSUES

The brilliant HDR-compatible home theater projector with 4K Enhancementb.

Offering exceptional color performance, the Home Cinema 5040UB delivers immersive experiences. Featuring 4K Enhancement Technology, this brilliant home theater projector supports 4K streaming devices and Ultra HD Blu-ray content. It's also compatible with High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, displaying an extraordinary range of brightness levels with deep, dramatic blacks. Delivering 2,500 lumens of color brightness and 2,500 lumens of white brightness, the 5040UB is ideal for a variety of rooms. Its expansive color gamut displays the entire sRGB and DCI color spaces3. A 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio ensures rich detail in both bright and dark scenes, while its 16-piece glass lens achieves stunning clarity.

Up to 3x Brighter Colors with Epson*

Brilliant image quality requires high color brightness. Epson 3LCD projectors have up to 3x Brighter Colors than leading competitive projectors.* Delivering 2500 lumens of color brightness and 2500 lumens of white brightness, the PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB uses 3LCD, 3-chip technology for brilliant images with true-to-life color.

Model:V11H71302

Projection System:Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine

Native Resolution:1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4K enhancement

Color Brightness:2500 lumens

White Brightness:2500 lumens

Product Guides & Additional Information:

http://m.epson.com/alf_upload/pdfs/projectors/brochure_5040UB_specs.pdf

Key Features

Bright and Colorful

Features 2500 lumens of color brightness (color light output)1 and 2500 lumens of white brightness (white light output)1

4K Enhancement Technology

Epson's 4K Enhancement Technology delivers astonishing picture quality — every subtle intricacy is captured.

Contrast Ratio

Up to 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio

Lens Shift

Equipped with horizontal and vertical lens shift, to help configure projector setup

1080p

Supports full HD 1080p resolution

3-Dimensional Picture

2D & 3D Full HD technology puts you right in the middle of exciting, lifelike adventures, and Bright 3D Drive allows for bright, 3D projection.

4K Enhancement Technology— accepts 4K input and supports HDCP 2.2 for truly immersive scenes with 4K content

HDR compatible — enjoy HDR content, with an extremely wide range of brightness levels for images bursting with real-life color

Bright — ideal for a variety of lighting conditions.

The Home Cinema 5040UB has:

Color Brightness: 2500 lumens2

White Brightness: 2500 lumens2

Expansive color gamut — get brilliant, color-rich performance that displays the entire sRGB color space, plus DCI in Digital Cinema Mode

Dramatic Ultra Black levels — an improved iris design delivers up to a 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio

Remarkable new cinema lens — designed and manufactured in Japan, it features a 16-piece glass structure optimized for 4K performance and precision

Epson Image Enhancement Technology — features Super-resolution and improved Detail Enhancement to sharpen and refine images for lifelike smoothness and clarity

Powered lens position memory — preset up to 10 positions for motorized focus, zoom and lens shift; features 2.1x zoom and ultra wide lens shift

Outstanding service — 2-year limited warranty and toll-free support

Eco Features

RoHS compliant

Recyclable product4

Epson America, Inc. is a SmartWay[emoji769] Transport Partner5

For more information on Epson's environmental programs, go to www.epson.com/environment

****TIPS****

Manually Setting HDR
Menu -> Signal -> Advanced

**********video explaining 4:4:4**********

Royboy 365 suggested a spot for known issues

*****KNOWN ISSUES*****

From Epson regarding the HDR issue:

Epson is aware of this, and so far the testing has shown only one manufactures (Philips) where it does do the HDR. There has been a request to the engineers for a fix.

The Samsung UBD-8500 does not pass 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. Waiting on firmware update.

Kpump is also reporting that the Epson does not detect HDR from the shield after trying several cables.

Looks like the Philips player is the only player that provides HDR to the Epson at this time.

Member Ix reports being able to stream in HDR on Nvidia device. I do not have the latest Panasonic UHD player to report on that.

Thanks to cnorth12
Samsung player has HDR streaming through Amazon App.

No Netflix HDR as of yet. Firmware update supposedly anytime, but who knows?

Philips has only 2 apps, Netflix and Youtube no HDR.

Xbox One S offers Netflix HDR streaming but that's it and of course the 4k blu-ray player that comes built in

From wbcollegekid
I spoke to one of the senior technical gurus at Epson. Several days ago I alerted them to the fact that the Samsung UBD-8500 was not passing 10 or 12bit, and only Rec709. The guy who I spoke to today said because of that they went and purchased the Xbox One S, Samsung, and Phillips. As I stated yesterday, and now confirmed by Epson, the Phillips is the only player capable of doing 10/12bit. The Rec.2020 is only a container for the P3 color space. The Epson cannot natively do Rec.2020. When the Epson receives HDR, it converts it to the HDR2 preset, which is for P3 color space for the Digital Cinema setting. However, manually switching to HDR1 preset in Bright Cinema mode gives you P3 color space. Bright Cinema mode is best for HDR.The partial 12bit in the manual refers to it dithering 10bit signal to 12bit. Many current TVs that advertise HDR are 8bit that dither to 10bit. All in all, I am very happy with the capabilities of this projector

So here's my latest crack at trying to sum up compatibility between the Epsons and various devices. This isn't perfect. Please post corrections with supporting pictures or documentation. If we can get this close to correct, maybe it can be stickied somewhere.

Source for some of this info: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Baseline info:
• The HDMI chipset within the Epson has a bandwidth limitation of 10 Gbps
• There are limitations to the signal that the Epson can accept due to this chipset
• 4k Blu-rays are encoded as 4k24 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit Rec709 (non HDR) or 10-bit Rec2020 (HDR10) neither of which are supported by the HDMI 2.0 specification
• Some form of signal conversion must occur in order for any device using HDMI 2.0 to accept a 4K Blu-ray signal
• The signal transmitted by the device must fall within the Epson’s 10Gbs HDMI chipset limitation for it to be displayed on the projector

Samsung K8500 4K Blu-ray Player & Xbox One S
• Both convert Blu-rays to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which Epson can support
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped
• The resulting image for HDR movies generally appears too dark on the Epson
Phillips, Panasonic, Oppo (hopefully)
• Each convert the signal to 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec 709 which the Epson supports
• HDR movies with Rec 2020 color are converted to 4k24 / 4:2:2 / 12-bit Rec2020 which the Epson supports
• The resulting image generally appears appropriate other than the Epson not having enough lumens to display HDR as intended
Fury & Oppo (hopefully)
• Both send an Epson compatible signal, but have the ability to strip HDR, while leaving the expanded Rec2020 color intact for those who feel the Epson is too dark for HDR
Roku Ultra (4K)
• Sends 4k24 / 4:4:4 / 8-bit Rec709 which is supported by Epson
• HDR movies with Rec2020 color are reduced to Rec709, so HDR is stripped (despite the screen showing 8-bit HDR BT2020, HDR BT2020 requires at least 10-bit color – is Rec2020 color really being preserved here? )
Amazon Fire Stick
• HDR signal is downgraded to 4k / Rec709
YouTube
• YouTube 4k videos are natively up to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Netflix
• Netflix’s 4k videos are natively ?????
• If your player can send that native signal, the Epson can handle it
• Players that send the signal properly include: ????
Gaming (PCs, 4k games on PS4 Pro & Xbox Scorpio)
• The Epson’s HDMI chipset (10 GBPS limitation) will only accept 4k60 at 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• It is unknown whether these gaming devices will send 4k signals in this format. If for example they send the signal as 4k60 / 4:4:4 / 10-bit, the signal will fail or be downgraded to 4k60 / 4:2:0 / 8-bit color
• Either way, 4:4:4 will get downgraded to 4:2:0 and/or color will be downgraded to 8-bit (non-HDR) assuming the source was HDR to begin with
Future video devices:
• High Frame Rate (HFR) 4k Blu-ray will display with nothing higher than 8-bit color on the Epson
• If a future format support 4:4:4, color can be no higher than 8-bit for it to work on the Epson
• Dolby Vision’s goal is to be 12-bit color. This should work with the Epson, assuming the player can send the signal as 4:2:2​

See less See more
#7,561 ·
Dave, dumb question...still a bit btw to this. Can I use your settings on 1080P non HDR. MY theater is only used for blueray and Xbox 1 if that matters.
No, the whole premise starts with an HDR signal, not SDR. It may work on a 1080p HDR signal if you can get one. I'm not a gamer but heard you can do games in 1080p HDR from consoles. I'm thinking I may try to set my UHD player to output 1080p using an HDR disc to see what can be done, if nothing but for the fun of it and to see if it's possible. I'll let you know if I do though.

It's really not hard to do and for anyone to try. My enemy is time!

....BTW, it is a real shame to be forced to buy a video processor just for anamorphic support. Does anyone know of a box (HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2) that will accomplish this simple task without the need to buy a full blown VP or the more expensive 6040ub, especially when some people do not need or want the 4 other things that the 6040 provides. I really love my Epson projectors (I have owned a 5020 and now a 5030), but shame on them for continuing the lack of anamorphic lens support even in the 5040.
Hey Bob, long time no talk sir! I think from back in the old CRT days? Didn't you used to have some TAW gear or something?

I think what I would do for that is get the Oppo 203 UHD Bluray player that has anamorphic lens support.

@Dave Harper, what settings are you using for regular bluray watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a greyscale calibration, I know that, but I've actually not watched a regular Bluray since getting this projector again, other than a 3D one, Rogue One (which the ghosting was horrible btw!). For SDR HD I put it in Natural mode. I can share settings when I get back in there again.

When I go in to mess around it's always with UHD Bluray so far. When it's movie night then it's either a UHD Bluray we bought or Streaming.

#7,562 ·
Decided I am ordering a 4K receiver and player right now, my only concern is I have to use a 45ft HDMI (4K monoprice cable in this thread). Will that b okay?

My installer said something about a 4K optical HDMI cad 6 cable may be needed?

#7,563 ·
Lost my notes on wich phillips/panasonic bluray player works best with the 5040ub with 4K

Anyone point me in right direction

#7,564 ·
Upgrading all equipment to 4K and Looking to get the philips "BDP7501" but the salesman said this particular blue ray player will only play 5.1 so my audyssey DSX 11.2 system wouldn't work with this unit.  I thought A-dsx was just a added algorithm and sends surround content to wide's/heights/surround back channels so it is essentially a 5.1 system with expanded comtent?  Will this player work?  Really wanted it since its the best fit for my epson 5040 projector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H...etailBullets_secondary_view_div_1492986359273

#7,565 ·
Do you already have a uhd player? If not, why don't you buy a uhd player that also streams? I just bought a Samsung uhd from Sam's club for $229. It plays uhd, regular blurays and streams Netflix and Amazon in 4k. Looks amazing. You tube 4k is amazing too.

Yes, a 203 with no apps, which is OK with me. I'm looking for a dedicated UHD streaming device.. Maybe if I can't find my dedicated streaming thing, I will replace my 93 with the Sammy. Not much cost difference between the Nvidia and Sammy and then I've got a backup UHD player!! :D

Thanks for your reply..

#7,566 · (Edited)
Upgrading all equipment to 4K and Looking to get the philips "BDP7501" but the salesman said this particular blue ray player will only play 5.1 so my audyssey DSX 11.2 system wouldn't work with this unit.  I thought A-dsx was just a added algorithm and sends surround content to wide's/heights/surround back channels so it is essentially a 5.1 system with expanded comtent?  Will this player work?  Really wanted it since its the best fit for my epson 5040 projector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H...etailBullets_secondary_view_div_1492986359273
That particular "salesperson" (term used lightly) must be smoking crack. I have a BDP 7501 paired with my Epson 5040ub & a Yamaha RX-3060 with 7.1.4. No issues here. I picked one up from JET.COM with 15% off for something around $175 total cost including shipping.

I have had success with the max 4K resolution using a 35ft cable from monoprice

#7,567 ·
I finally tried 3D on my 5040, and actually it was my first time for 3D at home. I have to say I think it is a complete waste of time and money for me, and I will probably return the glasses and the few discs I bought. The problem for me is that for any content that comes with a 4k disc and a 3D disc (1080), the quality of the 4k is so much better, and even has decent depth, that I won't ever want to watch the 3D version. And the 3D was underwhelming at that. There is added depth but it's not mind-blowing, and it's gimmicky, as usual. The only exception might be for kids, watching something like "Up" in 3D would probably be fun, but my kids are grown, so... Thoughts?
The 3D quality is HIGHLY dependent upon the 3D glasses and settings on the projector for your particular taste. I use the Active 3D and they do a great job on a number of 3D DVDs (Tron, Avatar, etc) but I would agree, this psuedo 4K is so well done that we also don't watch much 3D anymore

#7,568 ·
That particular "salesperson" (term used lightly) must be smoking crack. I have a BDP 7501 paired with my Epson 5040ub & a Yamaha RX-3060 with 7.1.4. No issues here. I picked one up from JET.COM with 15% off for something around $175 total cost including shipping.

its what I thought, I.have to use a 45ft monoprice cable, shortest I can not go shorter. Will this be okay?

#7,569 ·
Hey Bob, long time no talk sir! I think from back in the old CRT days? Didn't you used to have some TAW gear or something?
Your memory is better than mine, Dave! My CRT was from Tim in Scottsdale...an Electrohome Marquee 9000...a great unit in its day.
I think what I would do for that is get the Oppo 203 UHD Bluray player that has anamorphic lens support.
That would work great for UHD Blu-rays, but I'd rather have one device that takes care of all of my sources like FiOS and Mede8er. I think that handling an anamorphic lens is best done in the projector, or between the AVR and projector so that it only has to be done once for all sources. Maybe it is just best to keep the 5030 for now until all of this HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/HDR stuff gets sorted out. Everything works great and easily using 1080p over HDMI 1.4.

Reactions: Dave Harper
#7,570 ·
I could use some help, I'm pretty new with all of this. I just got an Epson 4040(which is similar to the 5040 I believe which is why I'm posting here) and expected HDR to work with my PS4. (I have a Marantz SR5011 receiver if that helps.) I have the video settings on my PS4 for HDR set to Automatic. The settings are the same on my Epson 4040, HDR is set to Automatic. When I play a game that uses HDR (Like Horizon Zero Dawn), the whole screen goes a weird purple/pink color. In the game settings for Horizon Zero Dawn I can turn off the HDR and everything goes back to normal. I have tried this with other games that use HDR and get the same result. Is there any solution to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Have you tried locking the ps4 at 1080p instead of auto?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#7,571 ·
There is a smudge or fingerprint on lens, how do I clean this? Microfiber ir eyeglass cloth?

#7,573 ·
Wish me luck. I have a 5040 inbound from Amazon that should be here tomorrow.

I had 40ES that I was very happy with. Loved the motion in particular but I got tired of the inability to completely eliminate anamorphic lens pincushion with my setup and got the urge to try for my contrast and zoom method.

So I tried a JVC but it's not working out. But I've got the motorized zoom and 4K bug now so I need a port in a storm for a bit. I know I'll eventually be back to Sony but I'm waiting for a few things to shake out with them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like the motion on the Epson. If I don't it's back to a 45ES.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#7,574 · (Edited)

ndabunka!!! Where have you been sir? I've been waiting for you to reply here. I don't think I've heard from you since the first time I had a 5040 here. Glad to see you still have one. Try my HarperVision settings. :)

Your memory is better than mine, Dave! My CRT was from Tim in Scottsdale...an Electrohome Marquee 9000...a great unit in its day.

That would work great for UHD Blu-rays, but I'd rather have one device that takes care of all of my sources like FiOS and Mede8er. I think that handling an anamorphic lens is best done in the projector, or between the AVR and projector so that it only has to be done once for all sources. Maybe it is just best to keep the 5030 for now until all of this HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2/HDR stuff gets sorted out. Everything works great and easily using 1080p over HDMI 1.4.
OMG that's right! :eek: What was his name, Tim Martin or something, in AZ? He had tons of Marquees and he worked with Mike Parker (with his board mods) who's from around D.C. Too funny and great times sir! Man that's when this hobby was super fun with all the mods and time tweaking those CRTs you could do....wow! Digital a are so easy now comparatively. Except maybe all this new stuff that has to be learned with the fiasco known as HDR bt2020 on projectors.

Yes I agree, if you want the lens for more than discs then an external box of some sort is best.

Maybe Phil Tuttobene will come out of retirement and hire Mark Rejhon to build the new Rock HDR Video Processor! ;)

Lost my notes on wich phillips/panasonic bluray player works best with the 5040ub with 4K

Anyone point me in right direction
Panasonic UB900 is definitely the best if you want to use the HDR Tone Brightness Slider control to use Digital Cinema mode with its P3 color filter. Of course this is if you don't want to use my HarperVision settings instead, but they're kind of extreme so I understand why a lot wouldn't. :)

Dave, your previous posts suggest you use the Panasonic UB900 for the UHD Blurays. Do you use this to stream as well or do you have a dedicated streaming device?
No I also have a Firetv box and Roku Premiere+ and a TiVo Roamio. I mainly use the Roku now since I don't have PS Vue anymore. I haven't even tried the ub900 streaming yet actually.

#7,575 ·
I watched 1st movie tonight and it was in 2:39 and I have a 2:35 screen. I had trouble getting picture to fit but I think I did this backwards.

I did this

1. Set screen to 2:35
2. Used blanking to try to get picture to edges but slider maxed out on top.

Should I have judy zoomed then used blanking?

In am very new to this obviously lol

#7,576 ·
I watched 1st movie tonight and it was in 2:39 and I have a 2:35 screen. I had trouble getting picture to fit but I think I did this backwards.

I did this

1. Set screen to 2:35

2. Used blanking to try to get picture to edges but slider maxed out on top.

Should I have judy zoomed then used blanking?

In am very new to this obviously lol

2.40 is wider than 2.35 so you have to just zoom until the left and right sides meet the sides of your screen. You'll then have a small letterbox bar at the top and bottom of the image on screen. You can then choose to blank it down and up on top and bottom, but I usually don't bother. You can also choose to zoom until the top and bottom meet their respective edges and some of the sides will spill off, then blank those out, but then you'll miss whatever video is in those parts. It's a preference, but purists like me would not do that.

#7,577 · (Edited)
2.40 is wider than 2.35 so you have to just zoom until the left and right sides meet the sides of your screen. You'll then have a small letterbox bar at the top and bottom of the image on screen. You can then choose to blank it down and up on top and bottom, but I usually don't bother. You can also choose to zoom until the top and bottom meet their respective edges and some of the sides will spill off, then blank those out, but then you'll miss whatever video is in those parts. It's a preference, but purists like me would not do that.
I.had very small bars on sides like 2:40 wss not wider? I would have thought the 240 would have went to edges if wider.

Still learning controls, haven't even found zoom yet on remote lol!

#7,578 ·
Wish me luck. I have a 5040 inbound from Amazon that should be here tomorrow.

I had 40ES that I was very happy with. Loved the motion in particular but I got tired of the inability to completely eliminate anamorphic lens pincushion with my setup and got the urge to try for my contrast and zoom method.

So I tried a JVC but it's not working out. But I've got the motorized zoom and 4K bug now so I need a port in a storm for a bit. I know I'll eventually be back to Sony but I'm waiting for a few things to shake out with them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll like the motion on the Epson. If I don't it's back to a 45ES.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cool. Please let us know how you go with the 5040. Also can I ask what does a dynamic iris give to a projector ? Ie HW65 vs HW45? Black levels?

#7,579 ·
Cool. Please let us know how you go with the 5040. Also can I ask what does a dynamic iris give to a projector ? Ie HW65 vs HW45? Black levels?

It dynamically changes an iris in the light path based on APL (average picture level) of the scene it's showing. Basically think of it like how the iris in your eye works, only in the reverse. When it senses bright light your eye's iris closes, when in dark environments it opens. For a projector it closes down in darker scenes to allow less light to leave the lens to preserve and improve black levels and shadow details. When on a high brightness scene it opens up to give you max light output for some bright, impactful things like explosions and HDR specular highlights.

I.had very small bars on sides like 2:40 wss not wider? I would have thought the 240 would have went to edges if wider.

Still learning controls, haven't even found zoom yet on remote lol!

No, wider means that to fit on a smaller aspect ratio screen, in order to get the whole image on screen you'd have to shrink it down until the sides match the width. Since it's a wider aspect, that leaves the top and bottom smaller, hence the letterbox bars. It's the same thing we went through when we had 4:3 TVs and went to wider 16:9 HDTV and DVD videos. Remember the widescreen DVDs that had letterbox bats top and bottom on your old 4:3 CRT TV? Same thing here, just now these scope aspects are even wider than 16:9. This is why many use a 2.40:1 scope screen, so they can have CIH (Constant Image Height) and as their aspect ratios change to 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 4:3, etc., the height of it stays the same and the sides just shrink in. It makes it easy to mask too, cuz you only need side masking or curtains. This is basically mostly what the theaters do too.

The LENS button on the remote is what calls up FOCUS, ZOOM and SHIFT functions as you hit the button each time.

#7,580 ·
It dynamically changes an iris in the light path based on APL (average picture level) of the scene it's showing. Basically think of it like how the iris in your eye works, only in the reverse. When it senses bright light your eye's iris closes, when in dark environments it opens. For a projector it closes down in darker scenes to allow less light to leave the lens to preserve and improve black levels and shadow details. When on a high brightness scene it opens up to give you max light output for some bright, impactful things like explosions and HDR specular highlights.

No, wider means that to fit on a smaller aspect ratio screen, in order to get the whole image on screen you'd have to shrink it down until the sides match the width. Since it's a wider aspect, that leaves the top and bottom smaller, hence the letterbox bars. It's the same thing we went through when we had 4:3 TVs and went to wider 16:9 HDTV and DVD videos. Remember the widescreen DVDs that had letterbox bats top and bottom on your old 4:3 CRT TV? Same thing here, just now these scope aspects are even wider than 16:9. This is why many use a 2.40:1 scope screen, so they can have CIH (Constant Image Height) and as their aspect ratios change to 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 4:3, etc., the height of it stays the same and the sides just shrink in. It makes it easy to mask too, cuz you only need side masking or curtains. This is basically mostly what the theaters do too.

The LENS button on the remote is what calls up FOCUS, ZOOM and SHIFT functions as you hit the button each time.

Thanks Dave. The million dollar question is having a dynamic iris in the hw65 much better than no iris hw45