AVS Forum banner

EPSON 5040 vs Sony VPLHW45ES

40K views 169 replies 68 participants last post by  Luminated67 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello y'all, So I'm on the fence. Spend an extra $1K on the Epson 5040 or go save $1K and go with the Sony 45Es?

This will be my first projector, 18' X 13' dedicated HT room, 100' Cinewhite Elite fixed frame screen. I've been going back and forth between the two. Can we see some screen shots and directly compare the two?

Room will be used for family movie night, PS3 gaming and football viewing - Go TEXANS!

Please no JVC as their superior black levels are out of my price range.:(

Thanks Ya'll

#2 ·
Why so small on the screen? Remember everything in Texas is supposed to be bigger.

#4 ·
I must admit, I'm between the exact two projectors as you, with almost the exact usage and application as you're describing.

Curious what you get for input here, as I've not seen either projector displayed. Wouldn't it be great if you could easily get a true comparison of both models to make a decision?!

#5 ·
Hello y'all, So I'm on the fence. Spend an extra $1K on the Epson 5040 or go save $1K and go with the Sony 45Es?

This will be my first projector, 18' X 22' dedicated HT room, 100' Cinewhite Elite fixed frame screen. I've been going back and forth between the two. Can we see some screen shots and directly compare the two?

Room will be used for family movie night, PS3 gaming and football viewing - Go TEXANS!

Thanks Ya'll
Can of worms man.......Can of worms;)

#6 ·
I was looking at the same decision, and came down to these decision points for the extra $1000:

* Motorized lens + position memory for constant image height setup
* 1080P upscaling to 4k with eshift

It felt like most other things were comparable or the differences were small enough that I didn't care.

I don't currently have 4k player & capable receiver, you"ll get a bit more bang for your buck out of the 5040 if you do. For me, it was more a question of future-proofing with the 5040 or stop-gapping with the 45ES while I wait for more 4k/HDR content and price-drops.

#7 ·
I'm in the same situation and I'm in Texas as well. I have a dedicated media room and a 120 inch screen. I could really use the extra $1k since we just bought a house, but I don't want to spend $2k now, then buy something else when 4K really takes off. I really wish there was a comparison video or something. And yes, please no JVC talk. We're in the < $3k section for a reason.

Oh and Go 49ers!

#12 ·
4K has been around since 2010 and hasn't "taken off" yet. Granted, it could take off in the near future but here some SIX years later the volume of 4K content is... well, slim to put it mildly. The 5040 isn't ACTUALLY a 4K projector either. Rather, it gives you the "ability" to show some 4K content but even in doign that, it uses algorithms so the Espons isn't really "future-proof" 4K. it just gives you the option of showing some 4K content.

#8 ·
Not sexy as a projector, but I suspect you would be happier in the long term if you went with a 75 or 80 inch TV instead. Vizio has some really cool and affordable TV's in that price range. At 100" or below, I don't see a need for any extra headache that a projector entails, such as dark background, low lamp life, perfect projection screens etc.

#9 ·
I can only give you a general advice here between Sony and Epson with my experience. Buy a Sony, I have had two Sony and two Epson to compare a few years ago, not at the same time of course, but during two-three years time I switched between them! (first Sony HW30 against Epson EH-TW9000 and later HW50 against TW9100) and Epson had no chance at all, Sony had much more vivid, lively picture with genuine home cinema feeling, Epson was more something between data and home cinema projektor, hard and dull, flat picture! HW45 is very good today what I have seen, Epson, I can not comment on, but I think it follows the same pattern today in terms of picture quality and picture feeling? Today, I own a Sony VW520 4K projector and is really happy!

#10 · (Edited)
...don't think about a TV, projectors doesn't give you "headache";) I have had many projectors since 1994 and nothing can beat the feeling you get from a big screen thrown from a projector! It's a feeling you can't describe, TV has of course more punch in terms of contrast and brightness, but in my opinion you won't get that lively "big cinema screen" feeling with a TV

#11 ·

This will be my first projector, 18' X 22' dedicated HT room, 100' Cinewhite Elite fixed frame screen. I've been going back and forth between the two. Can we see some screen shots and directly compare the two?

Thanks Ya'll
I am also in the same boat.
The Epsons give you additional inputs (VGA, Composite in addition to the 2 HDMIs) that are no longer available on the Sony HW45ES. The Epson's give deeper blacks but the 5030 is not as bright as the Sony HW45ES so if you have a room with ambient light invasion or if you like 3D movies then the Sony is the better choice as it is brighter both calibrated and un-cablibrated. The new 5040ub is 50% more expensive than either the Sony HW45ES or the Epson 5030ub so that decision is really up to the byers pocketbook.

If you are a gamer and need lo lag => Sony
If you have a bright room => Sony
If you need Composite or VGA computer inputs => Older Sony or Epson
If you have a dungon and want the best blacks => 5030
If you have extra cash but not "JVC extra cash" => 5040 (Faux 4K)

Reactions: blindbandit
#13 ·
the verdict I came to myself when choosing between these two is that unless you need the lens memory and/or are sitting very close to the screen, I just don't see the reason to spend $1000 more on the 5040 over the 45es. Especially after seeing the 45es in action. The picture is really amazing.

#18 ·
We left a 1 year old Sony 40ES when we moved in June 16 (buyers wanted it). I loved the Sony (my first projecter with a 1.1 gain screen), but the blacks were never very deep (even in a light controlled room). I was happy to see the 45ES as a upgraded replacement, but when the Epson 5040 news came out and I immediately decided I had to do a real upgrade to the 5040 based on the value.

A $1,000 difference seems like a lot, but what I have learned is that contrast and black levels mean the most in a home theater. If you look at the high end projectors, what sets them apart from the lower end ones is black level. The 5040 is the first sub $3,000 projector that comes close to matching current projectors costing thousands more. A big reason is the dynamic iris. The Sony 45ES does not have a dynamic iris. This means that you would need to buy the Sony 65ES to match the Epson Black levels. In other words, the 45ES is a full step down from the Epson 5040. The closer comparison is with the 65ES.

Even compared to the Sony 65ES (costing $4,000), the 5040 looks better on paper (I have not ordered the 5040, so I cannot claim first hand knowledge). For example, the 5040 will be able to handle the fast coming 4k, HDR content. Just two or three years from now, the A/V industry will have moved on from 1080p. Other great features not found on the Sony are the built-in lens cap, lens memory and powered zoom/focus. Reviewers say that is is nearly as quiet as the Sony and just as bright.

All of this amounts to the best value in "affordable" projectors. You are getting a $2,000 value with the Sony compared to a $4,000+ value with the Epson 5040. For me, it is a chance to jump into the big leagues at a minor league price.

#19 ·
I really just want to see what the Epson 5040 projector can do with 4K content. I already own the Samsung KS8500 and the image is amazing, but can this projector produce something similar? Don't know if it makes a difference since I'm new to PJs, but this is my batcave media room. Am I understanding that the Epson would look better because of the deeper black level?

Attachments

#30 ·

This will be my first projector, 18' X 13' dedicated HT room, 100' Cinewhite Elite fixed frame screen. I've been going back and forth between the two. Can we see some screen shots and directly compare the two?

Thanks Ya'll
I could be wrong, but I doubt most owners of the 5040 are dissatisfied with the deep black levels.

#23 ·
I like both as well, but am thinking of going with the Epson 4040 which is in the middle of the two in performance I fell and is $300 less then the 5040 and about $700 more then the Sony 45ES.

It will be going in my room I am currently building that is 14x26x9 with a 120' 1.1 gain screen. I am leaning toward Epson also because it comes with a mount and an extra bulb. That's a plus in my book. I think you cant go wrong with any of the 3 for the price.

Here is a comparison from Projector Central.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=9430&pid_2=9508&pid_3=9498

#27 · (Edited)
The 4040 is NOT in the middle of the two, but the bottom, as far as native contrast is concerned. The native contrast is only 1,300:1 (SAD!) measured by Kraine. The 45es has native contrast of over 7,000:1 as measured by Kraine. Save yourself $700 and get the 45es. Unless you don't mind the noise and pulsing of auto irises.

Reactions: brian6751
#29 ·
I own the 45es. It has great black levels. It has unbeatable lag time for gaming as far a projectors are concerned. There is no screen door effect (The space between pixels is nearly non-existent). It is a great projector and every review says the same thing. I'm sure the 5040 is great as well, but you'll pay a $1,000 more for a gimmick (faux-k), and an auto iris. I'm very confident in my estimate that the native contrast for the 5040 is at or below the 45es, which can do over 7,000:1 in most modes, and 9,000:1 in gaming mode.

I don't care about HDR at all. Projectors are a niche market, and the people in that niche who demand HDR are the niche of the niche market.

The choice is yours, obviously, but I think you get so much more in real terms and comparative terms with 45es.

Epson has placed them selves in a weird part of the market with their pricing. Because once you're thinking of spending 3k, why not make the jump to the king, a JVC? Or, why not save a $1,000 and get an equally good (IMO) Sony?

#31 ·
I had always heard the 40ES had deeper blacks and better contrast than the 5030. I had assumed the 45ES was my target to replace my BenQ 2050 if I ever moved into a larger space (throw distance is an issue for me) but now I'm not so sure. You all have me so confused. :)

#32 ·
I came down to the 45es vs the 5040 and choose the 5040. I've had it for a week and love it. The ability to accept 4K content was the deciding factor for me.

Both projectors are great. You will be happy with either. The faux 4K seems like a gimmick until you see it in person.

I was starting from scratch so I wanted a projector that accepted 4K. If you think it may be awhile before you head down that road the 45es may be a better choice. You could also wait and see what happens at CEDIA.

If I currently had a nice projector I liked and it was 1080p I might keep it and wait.

If I had no projector I would get a projector that accepts 4K. JMO

#33 ·
Remember that you are buying a projection system. It makes no sense to buy a good projector and then cheap out with a screen. My advice would be to set a budget and then fit a PJ/Screen into it... if your budget is $3K, spend $2k on the PJ and then $1k on the screen/mount.

#34 ·
I live in Texas... And I'm a Texans fan. My room is roughly the size of yours (18x14 for me) and my throw is about 14.5 feet. I have a 2.35 130 inch screen.

Get the 45ES. (I have a 40Es).

In my opinion the only reason not to would be if you eventually want to go to Constant Image Height with a 2.35 screen. If you went that route with the Sony you'd need an anamorphic lens or something like Lumagen Radiance. The 5040 would be more versatile with its powered zoom..

In my opinion the black levels on the Sony are good enough unless you attempt 2.35 via zoom method. You'd need felt on the walls to hide the 'over spray'. It's still very visible with dark paint.

#36 ·
I was going back and forth between these 2 as well and have opted for the 5040.

I figure the 5040 will keep me satisfied for 4-5 years as technology catches up with more 4k content and by then the true 4k projectors will be down in price.

The 45 seems like it would last 2-3 years before 4k content is so common that I'd wish I had a nicer projector.

So, pay 3k now and be happy for 4-5 years or pay 2k now and be ready to upgrade in another 2-3 years.

#41 ·
I would understand that better if the 5040 was a "real" 4K projector. If, in 2-3years, 4K content is that common you are going to want an actual 4K PJ anyway :D

Reactions: brian6751
#39 ·
In my experiences with the 45 and 5030, the only time the blacks were better on the 5030 was on all black or practically all black screens and that's with the iris going. The rest of the time, the 45 looked better and has the over all better image.

The Epson's better blacks comes at the price of dimming the overall picture whenever the iris clamps down and I'm not a fan of that.

The blacks on the 5040 are said to be only marginally better than the 5030 do i would assume the same applies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.