Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #61 of 272 Old 12-13-2016, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi i just got a HW45 and its kinda pity, that all serious calibrators and tweekers are now in the Over 3000 USD forum, as i have feeling the HW45 has actualy deeper black floor, that he shows in most content. I had once the VW10 and remember some tweeks in his service menu to get better black performance from him(but it was settings for the iris, HW45 does not have. Ok, mine has only 5 hour or so on the lamp, i gues it will change a lot in the next 50 to 100 hours. I come from a JVC projector, so the blacks are sowhat of a HW45 Achilles heel to me. I chosen him as a stop gate projector until there is big screen 4k solution for under 4000 USD, that can handle DC-P3 and HDR at the same time...and is not a LCD....but still for the money parts of his performance really amazing...
and i need explaine the zone variation of the panel alighment, mine HW45 seams to have the blue panel somewhat off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 272 Old 12-13-2016, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
you can select each zone (looks like a small box hit enter and box is larger then adjust V H r/b/g) it works well. standing close to the sreen while doing the adjustment helps.
post #63 of 272 Old 12-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just purchased one of these (USR-TCP232-302) on eBay to do the control of my 45ES over ethernet. I will report back on how well it works once I have it setup. You can pick one up for about $20 USD on ebay which is much cheaper than the iTach model. They also make a wifi version which is also dirt cheap.

http://www.usriot.com/p/rs232-to-ethernet-converters/

I've decided to make my own remote app in C# .net, which will give me total control and flexibility to do anything. I have a small test app working with telnet commands to my Marantz SR5011 AVR via ethernet so far, but once I get the projector comms working I will put it into a WPF XAML project so that I can create a super nice interface using skins.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Last edited by DubbyMcDubs; 12-13-2016 at 09:03 PM.

post #64 of 272 Old 01-01-2017, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Count me among the happy owners - I've got 80+ hours on my VPL-45ES since receiving it in mid-November. The picture received rave reviews from family over the holidays

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
post #65 of 272 Old 01-08-2017, 04:39 AM

Just wanted to report that the USR-TCP232-302 Ethernet to Serial adapter worked very well. After some confusion with regards to the pin out for the RS232 port, I discovered that the tx/rx crossover was already (oddly) done inside the device. So after changing from a crossover (Null Modem) to a regular straight through serial cable my software worked.

Sony gave me all the latest documents for the communications for the VPL projectors, including the new ADCP based communications for firmware version 1.301. I am in the process of making a nice c# library to have all the commands for the projector exposed as properties to make reading/writing to the projector very simple.

I am also experimenting with the idea of using an ESP8266 wifi module + RS232 to ttl converter + logic level converter + esp link firmware to make a completely wireless module to replace the ethernet to serial adapter. This would be powered off the USB port of the projector, so no cables would need to be run to get the connectivity.

Last edited by DubbyMcDubs; 01-08-2017 at 04:44 AM.
post #66 of 272 Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 AM
AVB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 15 years I finally replaced my Electrohome 8501 with this projector. Fairly pleased overall with the performance but my real problem is the giant hole in my ceiling where the old projector hung. Since I can't duplicate the pattern in the plaster that covers the rest of the ceiling I decided to keep the hush box I was using and just put in a new front panel with one hole instead of the large oval hole the 8501 needed. That partially blocked the remote receptor so I thought I would use the IR IN port with a 3ft IR extender eye and mount that on the bottom of the hush box. Like others using this port I ran into the fact it didn't work the way I thought it should.

My question is: just what is supposed to plug into the IR port if not an IR extender? The manual is moot on this.

There is no such thing as too much clean power.
post #67 of 272 Old 04-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 58
New owner here, my sony hw45es will be here tomorrow, i cant wait. What ceiling mount is best with this projector, and what 3d glasses should i be looking at to buy, im new to 3d. I will be subscribing.
back2boston likes this.
post #68 of 272 Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For some reason I didn't see this thread until now for SONY HW45ES.

I have been posting and discussing in another thread, so have many other owners. May be that thread is useful to others :

SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor
post #69 of 272 Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbyMcDubs View Post
Just wanted to report that the USR-TCP232-302 Ethernet to Serial adapter worked very well. After some confusion with regards to the pin out for the RS232 port, I discovered that the tx/rx crossover was already (oddly) done inside the device. So after changing from a crossover (Null Modem) to a regular straight through serial cable my software worked.

Sony gave me all the latest documents for the communications for the VPL projectors, including the new ADCP based communications for firmware version 1.301. I am in the process of making a nice c# library to have all the commands for the projector exposed as properties to make reading/writing to the projector very simple.

I am also experimenting with the idea of using an ESP8266 wifi module + RS232 to ttl converter + logic level converter + esp link firmware to make a completely wireless module to replace the ethernet to serial adapter. This would be powered off the USB port of the projector, so no cables would need to be run to get the connectivity.
If you want to share your library for IP/RS232 comm once you get it ready I'd love to use it. I'm in the initial plannings of my own custom remote app and I'll definitely need a way to control the projector. Haven't decided if I'm going with iOS, Android or Windows, but whichever way I pick I'll be using C#, so I'd love to be able to use your library.
post #70 of 272 Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Im thinking of picking one of these up. I tried a Epson 5040 and had the new JVC 420 but finding motion not good enough.

Sony seems to be best for motion i'm reading ( I dont want DLP).

Can anyone comment on motion clarity , native motion and with Motion flow on low?

The Epson was okish but the JVC just too blurry even with small amount of movement.
post #71 of 272 Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotC150 View Post
If you want to share your library for IP/RS232 comm once you get it ready I'd love to use it. I'm in the initial plannings of my own custom remote app and I'll definitely need a way to control the projector. Haven't decided if I'm going with iOS, Android or Windows, but whichever way I pick I'll be using C#, so I'd love to be able to use your library.
No worries, happy to share the code. I kind of dropped the ball on the project due to work commitments but I am getting sick of using so many remotes. I only implemented the power and input commands, but I spent more time trying both command methods and creating library code to make adding commands easy. I will tidy a few things up, add a couple more commands and give to you to expand as you require.
post #72 of 272 Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

What screens are you guys running the hw45es with? I'm in the market, looking for an electric tab tensioned screen. Not sure if I want white or grey. My current screen is an elite screen matte white and it's pretty good with some ambient light but great in the dark, light controlled room. How do grey screens effect viewing in a dark rooms?
post #73 of 272 Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
What screens are you guys running the hw45es with? I'm in the market, looking for an electric tab tensioned screen. Not sure if I want white or grey. My current screen is an elite screen matte white and it's pretty good with some ambient light but great in the dark, light controlled room. How do grey screens effect viewing in a dark rooms?
I'm using an EluneVision Reference 4K screen (120" white) with the 45ES. Fixed though so can not comment on the tab tensioned models. I'm loving the two of them together in a light controlled room; I have no complaints at all on either the PJ or the screen and everyone who has seen is quite shocked at just how good it looks for the money spent.
post #74 of 272 Old 04-29-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
... How do grey screens effect viewing in a dark rooms?
Pandora's Box is opened again. The simple answer is that it reduces the brightness of everything on the screen. For example, while a 1.0 gain matte white screen will reflect 100% of the image lumens a projector sends to it a 0.8 gain matte grey screen will reflect 80%. Essentially it's the equivalent of running your projector lamp at 80% power vs. 100%.

There is a secondary effect involving a small reduction in the effect of reflected light from the screen image to the room surfaces and back onto the screen again. This can be more subtle and while some are sensitive to it others might not even notice it. It's been discussed many times on this forum and I know some folks who may show up here and discuss that aspect at length.
post #75 of 272 Old 04-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Gotcha, looking at getting a seymour .08 gain, not as bright as my elite but i think might be looking better from samples im trying out.
post #76 of 272 Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotC150 View Post
Hello everyone !

I would like to manage this projector with my computer (firmware version 1.301), I have a RS232 to USB converter, null cable and go !

I have read a lot of manuals for 60, 30, 55, 65 (not found for 45 exactly).

For all, it's almost the same config :
BAUD_RATE = 38400, parity even, one stop bit, 8bits, timeout < 3200ms.

In python, i create a serial port :

ser = serial.Serial(
serial_path,
BAUD_RATE,
parity=serial.PARITY_EVEN,
stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,
bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,
timeout=5
)

and I send some commands, stop command for exemple (

send ['a9', '17', '2e', '00', '00', '00', '3f', '9a'] = \xa9\x17\x2e\x00\x00\x00\x3f\x9a

and received :
['ad', 'd7', 'af', 'ff', 'ff', 'ff', 'bf', 'db']

I don't understand, never response can start with something else than a9 according to the manual and i have "ad" ?

My adapter not working ? I need to test with another hardware ? If you have one code with one language dans the good manual for this projector, you can help me !!!!

thanks in advance !!
post #77 of 272 Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3027 Post(s)
Liked: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS45 View Post
3 weeks into the 45ES;

The 45ES has features and picture quality that for the price is ridiculously inexpensive, really well done!
She is a cost effective beast
post #78 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
3D Glasses Compatibility and Information

It's known the Sony VPLHW45ES uses standard RF signals for 3D glasses.

In this thread I hope to compile user experiences with several models of 3D glasses that work with the VPLHW45ES

Samsung SSG-3100GB

These are the glasses I use and they are not likely to popular among HW45ES users because they are old and discontinued. The reason I use them is they came with a nice black friday plasma set I bought a few years ago. That set was only ever used for 3D a handful of times so I'm glad the HW45ES supports these.

A good thing about these is they are very light. Almost as light as passive glasses. Having used these glasses a little more I really prefer them to the PS3 3D glasses I used with my last projector. The PS3 3D glasses would somehow trap reflections on the inside lens. Or something like that. Drove me crazy but that's gone now.

Another good thing about these is they use actual batteries. I find having a surplus of actual batteries is something I prefer to 3D glasses with rechargeable batteries. Especially ones with un service-able rechargeable batteries.

Hopefully I can collect information about other 45ES users experience with various 3D Glasses over time.
Can anyone recommend decent, not-too-expensive RF 3D glasses for this pj? I've never done 'home 3d' before but my Bluray player is 3D capable and now that I have this PJ I'd like to buy a couple 3D BR discs and glasses to give it a shot. Thanks!
post #79 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMac View Post
I'm using an EluneVision Reference 4K screen (120" white) with the 45ES. Fixed though so can not comment on the tab tensioned models. I'm loving the two of them together in a light controlled room; I have no complaints at all on either the PJ or the screen and everyone who has seen is quite shocked at just how good it looks for the money spent.
Got my screen from this guy. Independent. Great customer service/communication, too. Took about 3 weeks for mine to ship.
110" matte white. Fantastic including nice felt border. $230 shipped! He pre-assembles all before shipping them out to confirm all
parts are available/good. http://www.jamestownhometheaterscree...ector-screens/ --- highly recommended esp if you're on a budget. He does all screen types (including curved and acoustic/perforated).
post #80 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2boston View Post
Can anyone recommend decent, not-too-expensive RF 3D glasses for this pj? I've never done 'home 3d' before but my Bluray player is 3D capable and now that I have this PJ I'd like to buy a couple 3D BR discs and glasses to give it a shot. Thanks!
Hi,

While the samsung glasses I mentioned above in fact work, I find a Sony made glasses work much better.

I bought 2 pairs of Sony TDG-BT500A from a seller who was charging around $25 each. My local Best Buy also still carries this model for about $50 each.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These Sony glasses work much better ! But, Sadly... I find my previous pj (Sony HW30ES) did 3D better than my new pj (Sony HW45).

With my old PJ I was able to tune out all crosstalk. With the 45ES I can only reduce cross talk but it's ALWAYS present and I can't watch a movie like that. I've actually given up on 3D from the 45ES.

-Brian
post #81 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post
For some reason I didn't see this thread until now for SONY HW45ES.

I have been posting and discussing in another thread, so have many other owners. May be that thread is useful to others :

SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor
Yeah.... that one came first. I was hoping if I did a good job with an official thread it would stick but everyone continues to use that one.

Which is fine, really.. The good news is we all have this amazing PJ . !
post #82 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Hi,

While the samsung glasses I mentioned above in fact work, I find a Sony made glasses work much better.

I bought 2 pairs of Sony TDG-BT500A from a seller who was charging around $25 each. My local Best Buy also still carries this model for about $50 each.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These Sony glasses work much better ! But, Sadly... I find my previous pj (Sony HW30ES) did 3D better than my new pj (Sony HW45).

With my old PJ I was able to tune out all crosstalk. With the 45ES I can only reduce cross talk but it's ALWAYS present and I can't watch a movie like that. I've actually given up on 3D from the 45ES.

-Brian
Oh no! Not what I wanted to hear! Especially since I JUST bought 4 Bluray 3D movies from Amazon (Titanic/Avatar combo, Life of Pi, and Gravity---the latter of which I saw in IMAX 3D and was outstanding imho), along with (after a fair amount of 'research') a 4-pack of these: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compa...7QP8DKQ80A70H7

I'll just have to give it a go, tweak as best I can, and see how it all works out. Thanks for the response.
post #83 of 272 Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey,

It's quite possible you won't have the same problems I have.

And, The Samsung glasses I was using had the problem much worse than the Sony glasses. So, Maybe the glasses you bought will do the 3D right.

Maybe I should give it another go anyhow. I have 116 3D Blu Rays. .... I should really not give up.

=Brian
post #84 of 272 Old 07-01-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
New owner here, my sony hw45es will be here tomorrow, i cant wait. What ceiling mount is best with this projector, and what 3d glasses should i be looking at to buy, im new to 3d. I will be subscribing.
I bought these and am hoping for a decent 3D experience overall, but from what I've read/heard thus far, this PJ doesn't do 3D super well. Good enough for most? Probably. We shall see---the glasses (and 3D bluray discs I ordered) don't arrive until tomorrow. I'd be interested to hear your experience with 3D through the 45ES, what glasses you used, and tweaking you did (my PJ is set to 'Auto' for 3D/2D but not sure about side-by-side over over/under settings on either the playerr or the PJ just yet---need more exploration there). Anyway, looking forward to sharing overall 3D experience with glasses/PJ/source... thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compa...7QP8DKQ80A70H7

Last edited by back2boston; 07-03-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: URL I posted was wrong
post #85 of 272 Old 07-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking to replace my aging but still functional Sony G70 with the HW45ES.
The manual shows the projector should be pointing at the center of the screen but i am assuming most owners here have theirs on the ceiling.
My question is if i have mine pointed at the top of the screen, will i run into picture adjustment limits?
The screen is 100" 16x9. Will mount at recommended distance of 12'.
Just concerned the lack of adjustments will destroy proper geometry.

TIA
post #86 of 272 Old 07-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtLurker View Post
Looking to replace my aging but still functional Sony G70 with the HW45ES.
The manual shows the projector should be pointing at the center of the screen but i am assuming most owners here have theirs on the ceiling.
My question is if i have mine pointed at the top of the screen, will i run into picture adjustment limits?
The screen is 100" 16x9. Will mount at recommended distance of 12'.
Just concerned the lack of adjustments will destroy proper geometry.

TIA
It's fine. Mine is mounted directly on the ceiling, 12 ft way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Velodyne-SVS, 120" DIY Spandex Screen, Sony 45ES
post #87 of 272 Old 07-01-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
@HtLurker , as you've already said, the HW45ES is designed to be mounted with the center of the lens even with the vertical center of the screen when vertical lens shift is centered. According to the specs it has +/- 71% vertical lens shift, which means 71% of screen image height. What that effectively means is that it can be mounted with the center of the lens as high as 21% of screen height above the top of the screen and still have enough shift to fit the image on the screen. If you intend to have yours mounted with the center of the lens even with the top of the screen you will only be using 50% of its available 71% vertical lens shift to fit the image on the screen. You can see this illustrated on page 9 of the Operating Instructions.
post #88 of 272 Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks all!

Will be ordering one next week!
post #89 of 272 Old 07-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2boston View Post
I bought these and am hoping for a decent 3D experience overall, but from what I've read/heard thus far, this PJ doesn't do 3D super well. Good enough for most? Probably. We shall see---the glasses (and 3D bluray discs I ordered) don't arrive until tomorrow. I'd be interested to hear your experience with 3D through the 45ES, what glasses you used, and tweaking you did (my PJ is set to 'Auto' for 3D/2D but not sure about side-by-side over over/under settings on either the playerr or the PJ just yet---need more exploration there). Anyway, looking forward to sharing overall 3D experience with glasses/PJ/source... thanks!
Just realized I didn't provide the link when said I 'just bought these'. Here are the 'these'----and I'm LOVING the 3D (side by side, which is apparently by far the most common 3D format) --- https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compa...7QP8DKQ80A70H7
post #90 of 272 Old 07-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hey,

It's quite possible you won't have the same problems I have.

And, The Samsung glasses I was using had the problem much worse than the Sony glasses. So, Maybe the glasses you bought will do the 3D right.

Maybe I should give it another go anyhow. I have 116 3D Blu Rays. .... I should really not give up.

=Brian
You really shouldn't! (give up)

I just paired up my new 3D glasses to the 45 and wow---Life of Pi is phenomenal! No 'crosstalk' or ghosting otherwise that I or my wife can see, and it's fantastic for 'home 3D'.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compa...7QP8DKQ80A70H7

For the record, I have left the 45's 3D settings to 'Auto' and my Bluray player is a Samsung BD-6500. Interestingly, the BD-6500 has a 'screen size' setting under the 3D settings that allows for entering whatever your display device's screen size is, and mine was (default---since I had never touched it and have had this player for 5 years... running latest firmware which is/was as of 2013) set to 55". Prior to starting the 3D Bluray disc, I set it to 110" since, well, that's my projected screen size. Not sure if this makes/made a difference but since I was exploring every possible '3D' option between the PJ and the player, I figure I'm gonna enter what I CAN enter.

And the result is... awesome. Not saying everyone's going to have the same results but, given the 'ingredients' here (Life of Pi 3D bluray, the Samsung glasses noted, Samsung BD-6500, and the 45ES) I can only say I'm very happy thus far. I bet not all 3D bluray disc productions are equal, however, so I don't expect every single one I pop in will yield the same visual orgasm as this.

Here's a good review of the 3D Life of Pi disc: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8158/life_pi_3d.html
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page