Official Sony VPLHW45ES Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #241 of 272 Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
During my last projector purchase research period I read every single post in that panel degradation thread and didn't see anything that convinced me it was a bad idea to buy an HW45ES. So I bought one and am thoroughly enjoying its great performance for the money with absolutely no worries or regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 272 Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
During my last projector purchase research period I read every single post in that panel degradation thread and didn't see anything that convinced me it was a bad idea to buy an HW45ES. So I bought one and am thoroughly enjoying its great performance for the money with absolutely no worries or regrets.
For sure. I read that entire thread, a thread on some Italian forum, and a thread on a German forum. I still got the 45ES. The theories are that it's heat or possibly some relation to condensation on the panels from room humidity. I run my PJ in high altitude mode though I'm not at high altitude. If it is heat related that should help. It's also advisable to clean the fan filter regularly to keep good airflow.

-Jason
| Sony VPL-HW45ES | Marantz SR6011 | Oppo Digital UDP-203 FW: UDP20X-51-0922 |
post #243 of 272 Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
is it worth upgrading?

I currently have the Sony-BRAVIA_VPL-HW15:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...A_VPL-HW15.htm

Should i upgrade to the 45ES? I would definitely enjoy the frame interpolation. The 45ES is brighter, but my 106" image is bright enough. I don't care about 3D. I do care about contrast, but it is not clear to me that contrast has improved much over the Sony generations. Do you think it is worth it for me to upgrade?

post #244 of 272 Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpj6st View Post
I currently have the Sony-BRAVIA_VPL-HW15:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...A_VPL-HW15.htm

Should i upgrade to the 45ES? I would definitely enjoy the frame interpolation. The 45ES is brighter, but my 106" image is bright enough. I don't care about 3D. I do care about contrast, but it is not clear to me that contrast has improved much over the Sony generations. Do you think it is worth it for me to upgrade?
I have had my HW45ES for a little while now, and I have say the native contrast is pretty good for the price. (I upgraded from an Epson Home Cinema 3000). However, I can not comment on how good the contrast compares to your last projector. Depending on your budget, you may want to look at the HW65ES which includes a dynamic iris. Otherwise, I don't think you will be disappointed with the quality of the HW45ES.
post #245 of 272 Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking at the HW45ES. I currently have a 64" Samsung PN64E7000 plasma from about 5 years ago. In a dark basement theater room, watched at night, how will the contrast compare between these two? Will moving to this projector be a significant step down in contrast or will they be on par with each other? I'll be putting up a budget screen, likely an Elite ELECTRIC125HT.
post #246 of 272 Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ed3120 , you really need to go up to a more expensive JVC projector to get plasma-like blacks. Having said that, I own two plasmas and an HW45ES. While the HW45ES can't match the plasma blacks the overall image is so good that I don't really obsess over it. The HW45ES does have the best native black levels of any projector in its price range and I find them to be satisfactory.
post #247 of 272 Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I'm looking at the HW45ES. I currently have a 64" Samsung PN64E7000 plasma from about 5 years ago. In a dark basement theater room, watched at night, how will the contrast compare between these two? Will moving to this projector be a significant step down in contrast or will they be on par with each other? I'll be putting up a budget screen, likely an Elite ELECTRIC125HT.
The Sony HW45ES's black levels will not match plasma. However it has excellent shadow detail and superb color accuracy out of the box. Two things JVC models lack.

I would stay away from Elite Crooks if you can. They are s horrible company to deal with. The build quality of their products is terrible and their customer service is downright hideous.
post #248 of 272 Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
considering an upgrade for jvc rs10/HD350 in light controlled mancave. about 50/50 movies-TV/sports

budget $1500-$2000

go for the 45es, other options? wait for a fauxK sale(epson 4000)?
post #249 of 272 Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Thank you both. My general opinion on my plasma is that the color is good, but the blacks could be blacker. That being said, I still think it looks very good in the dark. It could use an improvement in shadow detail (this could be me over ambitiously adjusting the contrast for blacker blacks) , so I like that people are saying that the Sony does a good job.

The thing that has me on the fence is that the projector market is in a transition to 4K, and I have a few options:
1. Buy a <$1000 1080P projector and dump it in a few years when 4K becomes cheaper, but end up with something significantly worse quality than my current plasma for the next few years.
2. Spend ~$2000 and get a really solid 1080P projector. (The HW45ES fits this perfectly.)
3. Spend $2500 and get into the Faux-K/HDR space.
4. Spend a boatload on 4K now. (Not really an option for me)

I wanted your opinions on how important you feel 4K is to the experience or if you are happy with 1080P at a large screen size. I sit 10 feet from my 64” 1080P TV and don’t currently see pixels. 1080P is more than enough pixels for a screen that small. My plan is to go with a 125” screen and sit the same distance, and I’m wondering if pixel size would be an issue.

I guess I get a little obsessed in the back of my mind with the 4K thing, but in reality, I probably wouldn’t use it much. I watch more TV shows than I do movies, and I don’t purchase blu-rays…I usually just stream. So most of my native source material is going to be 1080P and some shows are still 720P.

At the same time, I get excited about being able to put on a 4K “demo” scene and sit in awe at it, but then 5 minutes later, I’ll be watching a TV show, where the resolution and wider color gamut aren’t really necessary. I got just as excited about the 3D feature on my plasma, and then I ended up using the feature like 5 times.

Some of this is just every new TV saying 4K on it, making me feel it's necessary, when I know that 4K on a 60" panel is complete waste unless you are going to sit less than 5 feet from it.

I remember back in the 720P vs 1080P days people used to say that resolution doesn’t really matter like color accuracy and contrast do. That was back in plasma discussions, so it was regarding much smaller screens.

I was just wondering your opinions on the matter.
post #250 of 272 Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ed3120 , one of the issues of "seeing pixels" is the amount of space between pixels. The less space between pixels the less likely you are to be aware of seeing pixels. One of the reasons I chose the HW45ES is that it uses LCoS panels and LCoS has a better fill factor (less space between pixels) than LCD or DLP as illustrated in the image below:

post #251 of 272 Old 09-28-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
@ed3120 , one of the issues of "seeing pixels" is the amount of space between pixels. The less space between pixels the less likely you are to be aware of seeing pixels. One of the reasons I chose the HW45ES is that it uses LCoS panels and LCoS has a better fill factor (less space between pixels) than LCD or DLP as illustrated in the image below:

Good point. I assume this means you are happy with the resolution output. What screen size do you use and what is your viewing distance?
post #252 of 272 Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
Good point. I assume this means you are happy with the resolution output. What screen size do you use and what is your viewing distance?
I have a 100" 16:9 screen and view from exactly 10', which is right on the general average of 10" of diagonal per 1' viewing distance. That seems to be a common median on these forums with some preferring larger/closer and some smaller/further. A common comment in reviews of the HW45ES is that it produces a "smooth" image, and I think part of that is due to the excellent fill rate of LCoS.

When it comes to projectors I'm not an early implementer and currently own no 4k content. I'm perfectly satisfied with 1080p from the HW45ES at my current image size and viewing distance. I could see the finer detail of 4k having more appeal for those who prefer larger/closer. But I expect my HW45ES will keep me satisfied until it's ready for replacement, and by then 4k will be mainstream cheap and early implementers will be getting into 8k or whatever comes next.
post #253 of 272 Old 09-28-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

Dead-on. Do NOT underestimate the advantage of tighter pixel-spacing. Honest to goodness it was the first thing that hit me with this (over my THREE other good-quality LCD PJ's) PJ, and people have noticed and commented- unsolicited- on the same. Now I'm at 14 feet on a 150" screen so YMMV, but it's undeniable.

I've made a TON of AV purchases in the last 25 years and this PJ is right near the top in the "bang for buck" dept.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #254 of 272 Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it normal for this projector to display bright corners in a complete dark scene? Considering return mine...
post #255 of 272 Old 10-01-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince100 View Post
Is it normal for this projector to display bright corners in a complete dark scene? Considering return mine...
Brightness uniformity is commonly tested in projector reviews. No projector has 100% brightness uniformity across the entire screen. Many <$1,000 projectors have brightness uniformity in the 70% range. That is, the corners of the image are only 70% as bright as the center. The HW45ES was measured by projectorcentral.com with an 85% brightness uniformity, which is considered very good for a projector.

Your situation appears to be the reverse. I don't recall any projector being brighter in the corners of the image. All have been measured brighter in the center. So you obviously have an issue. If it shows up on all content then it's not content related. If no one else can come up with an explanation and possible simple fix for your issue then either exchanging it with the vendor you bought from if possible or filing a warranty claim with Sony would be wise moves.
post #256 of 272 Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Hmm, seems to be normal for this projector as noted in this review:

"We found screen colour uniformity to be very good with no colour changes to a white raster shown on a full screen and although with fade to blacks there were slight bright corners visible now and again, there was nothing that would annoy or impact with the overall performance."

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...r-review.12810
post #257 of 272 Old 10-01-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpj6st View Post
Hmm, seems to be normal for this projector as noted in this review:

"We found screen colour uniformity to be very good with no colour changes to a white raster shown on a full screen and although with fade to blacks there were slight bright corners visible now and again, there was nothing that would annoy or impact with the overall performance."

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...r-review.12810
Live and learn. I've never before read a review of any projector that was brighter in the corners than in the center. I don't believe any of the other HW45ES reviews mentioned this, either. I certainly have never noticed this on my HW45ES.
post #258 of 272 Old 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you both.

There are more reports of this "bright corner" issue.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ure-quality-2/
SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor

The one I have now is pretty bad though. I would describe the issue as bright blurred corners in the dark. It's weird that the light is visible outside of the viewing area, and there is a black line at the bottom left (also outside of the viewing area). Will give this some time and see if I can live with it.

Last edited by vince100; 10-01-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #259 of 272 Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My upper right corner is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. I have to be looking for it to notice because it's so subtle.

Last edited by Despoiler; 10-03-2017 at 09:11 AM.
post #260 of 272 Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both.

There are more reports of this "bright corner" issue.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ure-quality-2/
SONY VPL-HW45ES : HW40ES successor

The one I have now is pretty bad though. I would describe the issue as bright blurred corners in the dark. It's weird that the light is visible outside of the viewing area, and there is a black line at the bottom left (also outside of the viewing area). Will give this some time and see if I can live with it.
I see now that I did read about the brighter corners when I read that projectorreviews.com review months ago but it didn't even register on me because of how they described it:

Quote:
Evenness of illumination is very good, but with a slight brightening in the corners (very minor – you’ll notice on a solid background, but not normally with regular content). BTW, JVC’s LCoS projectors (starting at 2X the price of this Sony, tend to be even brighter in the corners.
Basically when these reviewers comment on projectors with 70% brightness uniformity they say the same thing -- that it's not really noticeable when viewing regular content. Since the HW45ES was measured with 85% brightness uniformity it obviously should be even less noticeable. I've also read a lot of JVC reviews and can't recall anyone complaining about them being noticeably brighter in the corners, though the above review says that JVC is even worse than Sony in this regard.

What it really comes down to is whether or not your particular HW45ES is substantially worse than being 85% as bright in the center as in the corners. If it is then it should be a warranty issue. However, if it measures within spec then it may be that you are much more sensitive to this issue than most. As a fellow HW45ES owners I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I'll be interested to hear how this turns out for you, so please do keep us informed.
post #261 of 272 Old 10-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, just got one of these for my new HT as well. Looks good so far. Been playing around with all the settings and colorspaces. Haven't seen anyone post up what their suggested settings are yet. Looking for some more knowledgeable folks than me to suggest some good starting points with all the settings. PJ is ceiling mount about 16.5 feet back from the 120" screen.

Went with this and a 7.2.2 setup with Martin Logan SLM XL for front right/left/center, ML sides and surrounds, ML in-ceiling for ATMOS, and some Seaton SubMersive HP+ (master and slave) for subs. Looking forward to getting everything done. Still needs carpet, night sky mural (Jeff is coming tomorrow morning!) and then seating. Two rows of 4 with middle being loveseat and then armrests between that and the outer seats. Should be able to seat 10-12 comfortably including children squeezing in, but that's as big as my room allows.
post #262 of 272 Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The Sony website has the price at $1699.99. Is this the new MSRP? As I am aware that it launched at $1999.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-hw45es

Projector People has it at that price but says its $300 off for a limited time. I plan on buying this projector some time in the future, and was wondering if $1699 is a sale price or the MSRP price now.

Thanks

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #263 of 272 Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe that the current $1,699 represents a temporary Sony authorized sale price whether ordered direct from Sony or through a Sony authorized dealer. I would expect the price to go back to the regular msrp of $1,799 after the sale is over.

Back in the old days before the HW45ES replaced the HW40ES the HW40ES had an msrp of $2,499 and Sony would frequently have authoized sale events where it was marked down to $1,999. When the HW45ES was introduced with an msrp of $1,999 Sony had sale events where it was marked down to $1,799. Sony later lowered msrp to $1,799 and it now seems that $1,699 is the discounted price for Sony sale events. With msrp lowered and sale prices of only $100 off it encourages more people to buy without waiting for a sale.
post #264 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks Dave that is good to know. This projector will be replacing an Epson 6500UB. I have been plagued with panel degredation problems. The top of my screen has a 6" red haze and the bottom of my screen has a 6" blue haze. This is my 3rd replacement projector. The other 2 started to degrade before the warranty went out. This one started after. Luckily you do not notice it on 2.35:1 movies which most movies are. It is annoying for video games though. But I laugh when people complain about Sony panels when Epson clearly has its own issues. Heat is not an easy thing to manage in electronics.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #265 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I’m think of getting this projector but have a couple of mounting questions. My finished basement ceiling is about 7’8”, no windows so it will be totally dark with recessed lights off. What is the furthest I can place this from a 110” screen? Also I was wondering when mounting it from the ceiling does the projector lense have to be centered with the center of the screen or centered with the center top of the screen? Also my walls around the screen will be a dark shade of brown but the ceiling is white. I will be getting a 110” Silver Ticket screen. Will I be better off with a white or gray screen? Thanks for any help.
post #266 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ierant View Post
I’m think of getting this projector but have a couple of mounting questions. My finished basement ceiling is about 7’8”, no windows so it will be totally dark with recessed lights off. What is the furthest I can place this from a 110” screen? Also I was wondering when mounting it from the ceiling does the projector lense have to be centered with the center of the screen or centered with the center top of the screen? Also my walls around the screen will be a dark shade of brown but the ceiling is white. I will be getting a 110” Silver Ticket screen. Will I be better off with a white or gray screen? Thanks for any help.
This calculator will answer everything

http://www.reviewtranslations.com/pr...ulator_en.html
post #267 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks. With a white ceiling would a white screen be better than a gray screen? Also can someone recommend a decent ceiling mount.
post #268 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1900 hours on mine and it's still going strong. I rarely ever use High lamp mode though.
post #269 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ierant View Post
... With a white ceiling would a white screen be better than a gray screen? ...
Neither white nor gray is inherently better. It's a matter of personal preference. I have medium-colored walls and carpet with a white ceiling and have used both 1.0 gain matte white and 0.8 gain matte gray screens. Everything on the gray screen is 80% as bright as the white screen as 0.8 gain suggests, so while blacks are a little darker so are whites and everything else. After trying both I prefer white. Others might prefer gray.
post #270 of 272 Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 222
After watching mine on a white screen with a white ceiling for a number of years, I decided that I needed to get rid of the extra glare off of the ceiling and the walls on either side. Went to Joann Fabrics and bought half a bolt of black velvet and put on both sides of the screen and on the ceiling out about 8'. That took care of all the extra light and now the screen appears to be in a black hole.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page