10 Things to Consider When Shopping for a Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This a great post. I bookmarked it so when my friends say do you know anything about projectors... (Which they know good and well I do) I can just send them this link! I find it interesting however that the PT-AE8000u isn't on this list. Especially if the viewer has a lot of action movies and wants a 2.35:1 screen. I haven't played with BenQ HT4050 or the Sony VPL-HW45ES how do they handle 2.35:1 formats? Does the viewer have to manually zoom it up every time? I don't see Lens Memory listed in their capabilities. So if you're gonna spend $2k on a projector and love action movies the PT-AE8000U ($1799 with rebates) should at least make the list above right?

That's wasn't flying... That was falling with style!
post #33 of 51 Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownTheater View Post
This a great post. I bookmarked it so when my friends say do you know anything about projectors... (Which they know good and well I do) I can just send them this link! I find it interesting however that the PT-AE8000u isn't on this list. Especially if the viewer has a lot of action movies and wants a 2.35:1 screen. I haven't played with BenQ HT4050 or the Sony VPL-HW45ES how do they handle 2.35:1 formats? Does the viewer have to manually zoom it up every time? I don't see Lens Memory listed in their capabilities. So if you're gonna spend $2k on a projector and love action movies the PT-AE8000U ($1799 with rebates) should at least make the list above right?

I would first check out the Epson 5040UB. It's on sale right now for 2.5K and offers A LOT more than the PT-AE8000U

Epson 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE S\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA 3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
KLIPSCH L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II | HEIGHTS RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 2 CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW, R12SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-500S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800

post #34 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
I would first check out the Epson 5040UB. It's on sale right now for 2.5K and offers A LOT more than the PT-AE8000U
That one is on the list already. It seems like a nice projector. It's considerably more expensive. I'm just asking Scott's opinion as to why the AE8000u didn't make his list. I mean he named a few. So he was looking for a bit of a range and I feel like the AE8000u should be in there. I have the 4000u and I'm currently saving money for an AE8000U but does he have an opinion that might change my mind? 5040UB finally brought on lens memory. So it does have my attention now.

post #35 of 51 Old 03-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the write-up. Many things to consider indeed.

I'm new to this world and site, and working on planning an entertainment room, that is somewhat small 10-11 feet by 14. The idea is to have a screen recessed in the ceiling, to hide the TV when we want to watch a movie or sporting event. With only 7' of room to the where the ceiling will be (older homes were not as big as today), I have narrowed down the screen choices to either 110" or 120". the latter may be covered the entire back wall, which would block speakers, while the 110" would provide more flexibility there, and may be plenty with a 12' viewing distance.

For the projectors, I have been looking primarily at BenQ, due to the good reviews and options, so with needing about 10' for either 110" or 120", I have been thinking about building a shelf into the back wall (2-3 feet wide), about a foot from the ceiling, and above the seats, which would allow me to move the projector freely to address any horizontal shifting needed. I understand I would need to place the projector upside down regardless, is if it were ceiling-mounted, so have to figure out some way to keep it stable while upside down. I could create something simple, or use some rubber stoppers for it to rest on stable. The advantage of using a shelf is the flexibility to move it around, and then the vertical lens shift could be used to make sure the right area of the screen is hit. A possible disadvantage would be that once the shelf is built, there is no adjustment up or down, as with a possible mount. Just entertaining this idea, as finding an appropriate mount, close to the ceiling is not always evident.

I saw you mention that the BenQ HT2050 only had 2.5% shift while their site claims 10%. Same for the HT3050. The HT4050 has 2.5% horizontal and 12.5% vertical. The latter is about twice the cost however of the 2050, so when considering budget, that would cover more than a good set of 5.1 speakers. The HT3050 may be the sweet spot in the middle depending on the improvements it may have over the HT2050. Still doing homework there.
post #36 of 51 Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am very new to this, so excuse the question if it appears somewhat naive. Are there any sub-$3000 projectors that do not use a bulb?

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #37 of 51 Old 03-30-2017, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Firstly thanks Scott for a nice "cheatsheet" on shopping for a projector.

Some things that I would like to add as someone who has been shopping for a projector for a while:

Quote:
10. Budget & Recommendations
- I would suggest splitting the price category for projectors to one that is up to $1500, and one between $1500-$3000. The range of projectors is too vast to put them under one category and not everyone has the budget to look at projectors that are towards the latter end of the suggested "budget" price range. Also while lens shift is a nice option to have, many past projectors have been developed and have sold successfully without it.

- I would also add the XGIMI H1 as a recommended option for those who are considering a completely digital experience from a 1080p multimedia LED projector at a certain price point. It is an exception projector that warrants attention not only for its performance (exceeding past LED options from LG), but also for the technology that it introduces which I believe is key for things to come.

- While shopping for a projector, consider the costs of converting the target room for a projector including the projector screen, blackout curtains, a mount or shelf for the projector etc. It is a lot more costly than most people think.

- Portability may be an option to some shoppers due to the environment that they work/play in.

Quote:
8. Lamp, Laser, or LED Illumination?
I have to add that while laser is picking up interests among enthusiasts, it is an incredibly expensive option. Replacements are available under the event of a malfunction, however the cost is extremely high for both lens and lamp replacements. It is a long way away from being considered a viable option for most people right now.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Just kicking butt everyday :-)
post #38 of 51 Old 03-31-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
I am very new to this, so excuse the question if it appears somewhat naive. Are there any sub-$3000 projectors that do not use a bulb?
I think there are several Laser LED projectors sub-$3000 not sure how many of those are 1080p and higher.
BrightBlade likes this.

post #39 of 51 Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Is there a reason you don't want a bulb? Bulbs can be replaced, the LED/laser projectors once the light source fails you have to replace the entire projector.
post #40 of 51 Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Is there a reason you don't want a bulb? Bulbs can be replaced, the LED/laser projectors once the light source fails you have to replace the entire projector.
Let us say I watch about 4 hours of TV a day, 7 days a week, on average (I watch less, but it also assumes the occasional movie marathon day). 4 X 365 = 1460 hours a year. 20,000 / 1460 = 13.6 years.

From what I have read, the laser lasts for about 20,000 hours. A bulb around 2000 and the bulb costs 2-3 hundred dollars. Bulbs also lose a lot of their brightness as they age, but lasers do not. If the bulb costs $200 and lasts for 2000 hours, that means I will change 10 bulbs in the same time frame as one laser - and it will cost me $2000 to change the bulbs.

If I get a 4k laser projector, I will be good for a long time. When the laser does finally go, lets say after 13 years (round down my use), technology will have improved enough for me to justify buying something new anyway. So I will have the same brilliance of picture from day one to year 13 without having to do anything like changing a bulb.

At least that is my reasoning. As I said, I am pretty new to all this, so my logic could be completely flawed. If it is, I am more than willing to learn!

Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #41 of 51 Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Let us say I watch about 4 hours of TV a day, 7 days a week, on average (I watch less, but it also assumes the occasional movie marathon day). 4 X 365 = 1460 hours a year. 20,000 / 1460 = 13.6 years.

From what I have read, the laser lasts for about 20,000 hours. A bulb around 2000 and the bulb costs 2-3 hundred dollars. Bulbs also lose a lot of their brightness as they age, but lasers do not. If the bulb costs $200 and lasts for 2000 hours, that means I will change 10 bulbs in the same time frame as one laser - and it will cost me $2000 to change the bulbs.

If I get a 4k laser projector, I will be good for a long time. When the laser does finally go, lets say after 13 years (round down my use), technology will have improved enough for me to justify buying something new anyway. So I will have the same brilliance of picture from day one to year 13 without having to do anything like changing a bulb.

At least that is my reasoning. As I said, I am pretty new to all this, so my logic could be completely flawed. If it is, I am more than willing to learn!
Let's look at Epson since they have laser and bulb projectors with similar features.
6040UB $3999 2500 lumens LS10500 1500 lumens $7999. So even if the 2500 bulb loses 50% brightness it is only slightly less bright than the laser is. $4000 difference, it comes with a spare bulb. Bulbs are $300 so that is 13 bulbs, plus the two it comes with. Normal mode is 3500 hours, medium is 4000, eco is 5000 hours. 15 times 3500 is 52,500 hours. Even if you replaced bulbs at half their lifespan it would be 26,250 hours, and more than the lifespan of the laser projector. Plus you could continue to feed it bulbs forever, after the 20k hours on the laser you have to spend another 8k on a new projector.

Sony 4k projectors, bulb version is 15k and the laser version is 60k, four times the cost.

If you bought a 3k laser or LED projector you would be giving up a lot of features versus a similarly priced bulb projector.

At your watching rate, which is similar to mine, you would probably realistically only buy 2 or 3 bulbs and then be buying a new projector. $600-900 over it's life is not that much compared to paying for laser upfront.

Last edited by darkangelism; 04-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #42 of 51 Old 04-03-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
At your watching rate, which is similar to mine, you would probably realistically only buy 2 or 3 bulbs and then be buying a new projector. $600-900 over it's life is not that much compared to paying for laser upfront.
Well most excellent then! Thanks!!

Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #43 of 51 Old 04-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:

My buddy has an ae8000u that got 5500 hours on his first bulb and so far 2800 on his second bulb. Just sayin. Also I haven't personally seen laser in home, but it sounds nice. I know there's a lot of substandard ones coming to the market though so be careful. Heck that's with any projector really.

post #44 of 51 Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
My buddy has an ae8000u that got 5500 hours on his first bulb and so far 2800 on his second bulb. Just sayin. Also I haven't personally seen laser in home, but it sounds nice. I know there's a lot of substandard ones coming to the market though so be careful. Heck that's with any projector really.
Thanks! That seals the deal then. I will be eventually getting a 4K bulb based projector.

Thank you everyone!

Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #45 of 51 Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for this, although there is a huge need for sub 1k projectors. I would say this is the target audience more likely to ready this thread. People spending $3-5k on a projector are more than likely going and getting professional help on selection and install.
post #46 of 51 Old 04-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbailey24 View Post
Thank you for this, although there is a huge need for sub 1k projectors. I would say this is the target audience more likely to ready this thread. People spending $3-5k on a projector are more than likely going and getting professional help on selection and install.
With regular TVs dropping rapidly in prices, and technology continuing to improve, we may well see more "wall-unit" TVs (ultra thin wallpaper-like TVs). This may inevitably replace the 60-100" projector segment. High end, expensive projectors may still be around but that depends on whether most people will have more free time to spend indoors in their homes than out and whether they want to dedicate an entire room as a mini-theater.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
post #47 of 51 Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's too early to predict what laser can do and price-wise they're still a long way away from being affordable. LEDs is what we should be looking at right now, their technology is always improving and they also have the same kind of lifetime expectancy as laser. By the time you reach the end of their life it will be about 10-13 years into the future. Who knows what we'll be watching then? I think the advantages of LED over traditional bulbs is the peace of mind of not worrying about bulbs dying early or exploding and dealing with replacements. You don't have to worry so much about maintenance and the costs involved, so you can just go ahead and use them for 10 hours a day and everyday. I will bet that in 3-5 years (or even earlier) there will be a new video standard that will blow everyone away and then we all need to start upgrading again. That's why I keep my budget lower when it comes to buying electronics because I know I will want to upgrade later anyway due to better technologies.
BrightBlade likes this.

post #48 of 51 Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, you can milk those bulbs for a long time BUT there is a substantial difference in quality in a new bulb versus one that's got 2000 hours on it, as I'm sure your friend noticed when he replaced the first bulb. But hey, if he's happy who am I to complain? Just sayin'.
BrightBlade likes this.
post #49 of 51 Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
check this out

Official XGIMI Owners Thread + H1 review (H1, CC, Z4 aurora etc)
post #50 of 51 Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
Awesome! Too bad it is only 1080p.

Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #51 of 51 Old 10-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ya i agree with input lag my brothers frame rate on his tv is much higher than mine makes gaming a lot nicer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Projectors , recommendations , shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page