AVS Forum banner

Newbie with an Epson 2045 -- screen question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave in Green 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have been reading these forums for the past while in preparation of starting my projector setup. I am need of some help in regard to the screen. Here are some specs:

Setting: Basement, not completely light controlled. Moderate amount of ambient light during the day. The room is about 24 feet long, 12 feet wide, 8' ceilings. Only windows/doors are at the complete opposite end of the room from where the projector screen will be. Ceiling is white, walls will be a light/medium gray (painting soon). 8' ceilings.

Projector: Epson 2045

Screen size: 120" diagonal

Other info: Per the Epson recommendations, I'll be mounting the projector just under 11 feet away from the wall. Planning on mounting it about 1'5" from the ceiling, which will leave 1' in between the ceiling and the top of the screen. We will be sitting about 11 feet from the screen.

Question: Given this setup, would y'all recommend a matte white or gray screen? I have been reading just about every comment I can regarding these two, and I can't decide. Given the Epson 2045 struggles with deep black colors, and the fact that i'll have mild-moderate ambient light in the room, is the gray screen an easy choice?

Thanks so much for the help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say grey screen.
Given the rather low black level of the entry level 2040/2045, a grey screen would make black performance slightly better.
I have silver ticket grey 120 inch. Very good screen for it's price.

#3 ·
Projector: Epson 2045

Screen size: 120" diagonal

Other info: Per the Epson recommendations, I'll be mounting the projector just under 11 feet away from the wall. Planning on mounting it about 1'5" from the ceiling, which will leave 1' in between the ceiling and the top of the screen. We will be sitting about 11 feet from the screen.

Question: Given this setup, would y'all recommend a matte white or gray screen? I have been reading just about every comment I can regarding these two, and I can't decide. Given the Epson 2045 struggles with deep black colors, and the fact that i'll have mild-moderate ambient light in the room, is the gray screen an easy choice? ...
If the center of the lens is ~5" below the top of the screen's image area (not counting the screen's black border) you should be just right for a squared up image on the screen with no digital keystone required.

Either a white or gray screen will work. All the gray screen will do is make everything coming from the projector darker -- blacks, whites and everything in between. It will not change the contrast of the image, which is based on the difference between the brightest and darkest parts of the image. So you should base your decision on whether you prefer a brighter image with punchier whites or a dimmer image with darker blacks. If you can experiment on a blank wall before buying the screen it might help you make your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.