Celluon PicoBit Laser projector - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #91 of 110 Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who has some good pictures of the Pico in action? 70"-90" no lights, little bit of light on.... ?

I like CRT look... my first two projectors where 3 gun CRT 500 ton behemoths of projectors (Barco 808S and a Sony.... something).

Anyone know how long of a backorder delay for the Pico? Reason I ask is my daughter is coming down to visit me in 6 weeks and if I can get it from Amazon to her before then she could throw it in her purse as it is very small....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Celluon PicoBit Laser projector

I'm starting to think the Amazon Prime video app has nothing to do with router speed, or connection quality, but either DRM or something simple, crazy, or overlooked. Why would the Amazon Prime video app not work directly from the app or with picoair when all other streaming apps work from the browser or with Picoair? YouTube app from the browser or iPhone, no problem, Crackle app the same, no problem. If it won't work from app or picoair, it's probably fixable. Any takers on this? Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by kevinav; 03-26-2017 at 11:02 AM.
post #93 of 110 Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight View Post
The Sony is $33 cheaper... is the PicoBit worth the little bit more money?

As far as I know the PicoBit is the only one (currently) that has the 55 lumen capability. So it is twice brighter.

Does anyone know when the LG HF80JA is coming out? It's a laser light source / DLP hybrid
and 2,000 lumen, though a much higher cost at $ 1,500.

EDIT: Word seems to be this summer for USA, but you can get them from Korea via Ebay.

Last edited by rexdigital; 03-27-2017 at 09:16 AM.

post #94 of 110 Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdigital View Post
As far as I know the PicoBit is the only one (currently) that has the 55 lumen capability. So it is twice brighter.

Does anyone know when the LG HF80JA is coming out? It's a laser light source / DLP hybrid
and 2,000 lumen, though a much higher cost at $ 1,500.

EDIT: Word seems to be this summer for USA, but you can get them from Korea via Ebay.
From what I've read so far, it sounds like the newer LG isn't a ton brighter than the older pf1500 which can be found as low as $500-700 at times, and the pf1500 has a naturally hardier design with less moving parts and LEDs trending toward a longer lifespan than Laser+Phosphor.

As a current owner of both the new Sony mpcl1a and the PicoBit, the PicoBit isn't 2X brighter...more like 1.5X brighter which is similar to the brightness difference in many projectors from switching between Eco-lamp and Full-lamp. It's visible when compared closely, but not night'VS'day huge by any means.
That said, the Sony only has a couple of small-ish advantages (full-size HDMI, somewhat better/easier HDMI stability, and it is less finicky about getting hot by being run inside a hot room), overall I feel like the PicoBit holds a greater number of more diverse advantages which make the $30 upcharge easy to ignore.
Spoiler!
ball3r and rexdigital like this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #95 of 110 Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 3550
about 2 weeks ago I installed mame on the Picobit and used this bluetooth controller, it sync'd up no problem. hours of classic arcade fun

some of the more advanced games on the PC Stick. it has a great analog look and is fast during the high paced shoot-em-ups near the end of the video

RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #96 of 110 Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Looks great, how big is that screen?
post #97 of 110 Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Looks great, how big is that screen?
Hi, this is a white poster board makeshift screen at about 80 inches.

response time is very quick for arcade gaming.
post #98 of 110 Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red/Brown line across top of screen

I just received a picobit yesterday and fired it up. I noticed right away (especially during black solid black scenes) that there is a reddish brown line across the top of the screen. It looks like a very subtle light bleed. Its not noticeable during brighter scenes but it's super annoying during darker ones. I called Celluon today about the issue and after talking about adjusting the lasers (which I did last night and it didn't help, he said that is is an issue with the laser technology and was also an issue on the picopro but on the bottom. Anybody else have this issue or know what I'm talking about? I can take a pic later tonight if it helps but im not sure my camera will pic it up.
post #99 of 110 Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 PM

I don't recall seeing it on mine
post #100 of 110 Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoer View Post
I just received a picobit yesterday and fired it up. I noticed right away (especially during black solid black scenes) that there is a reddish brown line across the top of the screen. It looks like a very subtle light bleed. Its not noticeable during brighter scenes but it's super annoying during darker ones. I called Celluon today about the issue and after talking about adjusting the lasers (which I did last night and it didn't help, he said that is is an issue with the laser technology and was also an issue on the picopro but on the bottom. Anybody else have this issue or know what I'm talking about? I can take a pic later tonight if it helps but im not sure my camera will pic it up.
See Rexdigital's comment on his pico-pro's grey scanline, if it bothers you get a refund, it will never go away Celluon PicoAir - any experiences yet?
post #101 of 110 Old 06-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There now seems to be several YouTube videos on this product, but they all kinda look the same. The videos look a little cheesy, and there have been no comments on these videos yet. Also, the price went down on Amazon. Are they selling off their excess inventory to make room for a new model??? Why does Amazon only show the same 8 reviews that have been up there for a while? Do these things just not sell to anyone who makes comments?

I'd love to buy something like this, but I'm very leery of getting burned. Also, I would love to have something that plays 3D, but I'm probably reaching for the stars in a device like this.
post #102 of 110 Old 06-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
There are some new models expected, for UO Smart Beam there's a led/laser version of the first laser-only model, with manual focus and 200 lumen max., the NX Big Bang. A comment under a vid of it suggests there's a 200-300 lumen auto-focus model coming.
post #103 of 110 Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 103
So quiet here, it looks like there are no owners of this projector.
post #104 of 110 Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
So quiet here, it looks like there are no owners of this projector.
I think there are just so few of us. So much potential with this projector, but it's as if it's in the wrong hands (Celluon) or something. No marketing, weak Android implementation, not very responsive company. It's almost as if they are in over their heads.
post #105 of 110 Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball3r View Post
I think there are just so few of us. So much potential with this projector, but it's as if it's in the wrong hands (Celluon) or something. No marketing, weak Android implementation, not very responsive company. It's almost as if they are in over their heads.

+1
post #106 of 110 Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes that is odd indeed.

I'm very happy with it and use it every day in the bedroom before sleeping.
post #107 of 110 Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone managed to get Plex to work consistently on this thing? I thought I had it for a while but now it's crashing constantly.

The android implementation leaves a LOT to be desired.
post #108 of 110 Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

I was interested in this projector, but even with a recent price adjustment on Amazon, there are showing up some pretty underwhelming recommendations for this projector.
post #109 of 110 Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post
I was interested in this projector, but even with a recent price adjustment on Amazon, there are showing up some pretty underwhelming recommendations for this projector.
several new comments on amazon. you can always return it if it doesn't work for your needs. I sold 3 recently to coworkers who wanted a highly portable projector for road trips.

Focus free 80000:1 contrast ratio HD Picture is stunning. Focus free laser is a fascinating experience on uneven surfaces when you are use to have to focus and refocus lensed light. Battery life is amazing for such a bright image. Everyone I have shown this to is blown away by the picture. I prefer to play mp4 from a 128GB microSD (not included). Projecting PS4 on ceiling is fun. Projecting on odd surfaces at parties is cool. Great with kids for trips when TV is an issue, just find a white or semi-white wall put it on a portable tripod pull up the video app or connect to device. Lollipop is not my favorite operating system, but it works for this.
Ftoast likes this.
post #110 of 110 Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Good points. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version