AVS Forum banner

Could I seriously improve on my BenQ W1070 for under $2k?

3K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Klownicle 
#1 ·
I have had the BenQ w1070 for 2 years now and have been pretty happy with it. I was never blown away by the picture but it's definitely better than the 720p pj I had borrowed from a friend several times.

When I bought it everyone on here seemed to agree that it was the most bang for the buck. Is that still the case? If not, what is? I've got a good job now and I have a bit of money to spend but I'd like to keep it at or around $2k or less. Is 4K/UHD worth buying or affordable yet and is there even much material out? I mostly watch movies. Thanks!

#2 ·
In $2k range the Sony 45es the most suggested. You need another $1k to step up to the Epson 5040 faux 4K projector plus more $ for a UHD player /AVR to go with it. The room has a lot to do with PQ you may want to invest in fixing your room if you haven't already done so.

#4 ·
^ True 4k projectors currently start ~$10,000. Most reviewers who've compared the HW45ES to BenQ's sub-$1,000 models say there's a big difference in overall image quality in favor of the Sony. That's why professional reviewers generally rate the HW45ES as the best overall performer under $2k. But it really depends on how sensitive you are to image quality. Some people don't seem to see much difference between projector models with obvious image quality differences. :)

#5 ·
What color is your ceiling walls and floor?
Most times someone asks the questions you just did, there is an over abundance of WHITE in the room.. Treating the ceiling and walls with dark color paint or velvet within at least 6' or more of the screen is the biggest bang for the buck anyone one can spend.. Assuming you have not done that yet.
Without treating the room you will so no difference in a projector with higher contrast ratio.. just like audio, the environment plays as much a part of the image in projection as the projector.

#10 ·
Black on the screen or any dark area is created by the absence of light in that spot. With white ceiling and walls the bright areas of the image light up the ceiling and the wall, which shines on the spots that are supposed to be free off ALL light. There goes you black level and contrast ratio down the white toilet!

Ever see movie theater with anything white in it??? There is a very good reason why you don't!

Treat 5-6' minimum in every direction from the screen.. The back wall does not affect the screen, just your perception ceiling and side wall do the most damage.. as do white equipment cabinets under the screen..
Good luck

#12 ·
It helps to get your own perspective on the issue of reflected projector screen light off of light colored floor, walls and ceiling and back onto the screen as opposed to listening to others with varying opinions. You can always try it and see the effect for yourself. Depending on how it impacts your enjoyment it may or may not motivate you to make changes to your room. In our mixed use family room we went from light to medium colored walls and carpeting. Even though the ceiling is still white there was a noticeable improvement in perceived contrast. While I appreciate what a fully optimized room can accomplish we don't all have the freedom to fully optimize our viewing rooms. The good news is that not everyone requires a bat cave to enjoy front projection. :)

#13 ·
IThe good news is that not everyone requires a bat cave to enjoy front projection. :)
This is true and 5-6' makes a ton of difference and is not a bat cave.. he asked for the best bang for the buck.. buying a high contrast projector with a white ceiling next to the screen is not a good expenditure of money.. And from the sound of it, he had no real idea that his ceiling was causing his upgradeitis..
And yes, a $10 black flat sheet from Bed bath and beyond tacked/taped to the ceiling will let one experience how much it will help.

#20 ·
the hw50es I have for sale will be great improvement over that w1070 and keep you way under $2k. you can see it in my sig.

#27 ·
oh I'm sure you will just for the different type of technology and more high end advancements but of course any projector will benefit from a better room.

#29 ·
A better room helps make the overall viewing environment darker, but the native on/off still helps even with imperfect rooms. The reason projectors can still go darker in imperfect rooms is because as the scene gets darker there is less light reflecting off the walls by default.

So even in a room with white walls, you will notice the better black levels of a JVC. It just isn't as noticeable as if you had a fully dark environment.

#32 ·
or you can just get my sony and be able to game too without bad jvc lag :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.