AVS Forum banner

Need HELP from Argentina

1K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave in Green 
#1 ·
hi everyone, my name is Maximiliano, Im from Argentina. I need help please ! Im traveling to miami next month, i have been searching about lot of projector because here in my country they are very expensive and i have a chance to buy one when i travel.
Iim looking 4 a projector whit this features if possible...

1) UST because i dont have place in my room to set, so i think the best option is this kind of projetors
2) 1080p or Wxga, i dont know if they are preety much the same or if is there any big difference
3) bluethoot
4) divx, xvid, mkv support by USB
5) input lag no more than 50 ( dont preety much care)
6) no more than $1400

I have seen a few models

LG PF1000u
Optoma UST320

Obviouslly it doesnt exist the perfect projector, but i want to know if im on the right road, because everything i have read its online because in my country there are few models and i cant test them

Can you help me please and recommend another models if you know.
Thanks to everybody

See less See more
#2 ·
There are very few 1080p UST projectors currently on the market. UST home video is becoming more popular and more new models are going to be coming to market in the future.

The Optoma UST320 is a business projector optimized for maximum brightness and not for best color accuracy. It is more for business presentations than home video. But it could be used for home video in its less bright modes as long as you are not looking for the very best image quality.

The LG PF1000u is a home video projector that is not very bright because it uses LED lighting. LG recommends a maximum 100" diagonal image size for the PF1000u. At 100" reviewers and owners have said it works OK in the dark but looks better with a smaller 80" screen. If there is any ambient light in the room it works better with a 60" image. It may work for you unless you are looking for a bigger, brighter image.

UST projectors are really not designed to produce an image much larger than 100". You could get a brighter, larger, higher quality image from a standard throw projector for less than US $1,000. The BenQ HT2050 is the most often recommended projector for less than $1,000. The BenQ HT2150ST is a short throw model with the same quality image as the HT2050. It can be closer to the screen than the HT2050 but not as close as UST projectors.

#4 ·
thanks 4 responding, i appreciate it
i thought the gt was the same model tahn the 320.
i thought in UST models because i dont have much space
my idea is to use this projector twice a week (very little use) for movies 90% and video games 10%
am i on the correct road with the GT model of optoma or do you recommend me an other model==?¡
thanks again

#10 ·
i dont know if UST projectors can project big screen size, about 130´for example or just home video projectors can project those sizes ¡?

please i dont want to make a mistake when i buy my first projectors, thats whay im watching all reviews and reading forums. i repeat the projector will be use to movie 90% and gaming 10%

#11 ·
As I said earlier in the thread, UST projectors are not designed to produce large images. All of the UST projector manufacturers recommend a maximum image size of 100". Almost every review warns that the larger the image over 100" the more distortion a UST projector will produce. If you want the best quality image you should not exceed 100" with a UST projector. If a 130" screen is important to you then you will get a much better image with a longer throw projector.

The most recommended short throw projector is the BenQ HT2150ST. It can produce a 130" image from as close as 6' 6" measured from lens to screen. But BenQ warns that 120" is the maximum size for a clear image. So even a short throw projector is not the best for a 130" image.

A medium throw BenQ HT2050 can produce a 130" image from as close as 10' 10", and the image will be clear.

Unfortunately we can't always get everything we want from one projector.

#13 ·
ok folks, after reading reading and reading 10000 pages, reading your opinions, i finally get to reduce the list to the following device, obvioulsy i have some questions yet

1)GT 5500: PRO: UST
CONS: IMAGE MAX SIZE 100¨. IF A SEPARATE A LITTLE MORE FROM THE WALL CAN I GET 120´?

2) BenQ HT2150ST: PRO: THE PRICE AND THE SIZE OF THE IMAGE I CAN GET. IS ST
CONS: LOW CONTRAST AND LUMENS VS GT5500. AND EVERYBODY SAYS THAT THIS MODEL IS FOR GAMING MOSTLY, AND IM LOOKING SOMEONE TO MOVIE MOSTLY

3) EPSON HOME CINEMA 3700: PRO: THE IMAGE SIZE I CAN GET AND VERY GOOD CONTRAST
CONS: IS NOT ST OR UST.

4) Optoma EH415ST: PRO: IS ST AND I CAN GET A BIGGER IMAGEN THAN GT5500
CONS: ITS A LITTLE OLD MODEL

I REPEAT I HAVE A DISTANCE FROM THE SOFA TO THE WALL ABOUT 4 METERS, THATS WAY MY IDEA WAS A ST OR UST MODEL, AND BECUASE A HAVE A SOUNDBAR AND I DONT WANT CABLES, THATS WHAY MY DECITION. BUT EPSON LOOKS VERY GOOD ABOUT IMAGE SIZE, EXCEPT YOU TELL ME THAT MRE THAN 120¨ALMOST NOBODY USE EXCEPT YOU HAVE A HUGE WALL WHICH IS NOT MY CASE

OPINIONS SO I FINALLY DECIDE??

#14 ·
1) Read Optoma's recommendations again. They warn that the GT5500 is designed to produce an image no larger than 100". If you separate a little more from the wall you will get a 120" image that does not look as good. You can trust Optoma on this.

2) Read the projectorcentral.com review again. It's clearly stated that the HT2150ST is equally good for gaming and movies. The HT2150ST does not have lower contrast than the GT 5500. Do not trust manufacturer contrast numbers. The GT5500 is only brighter than the HT2150ST when the GT5500 is in its least accurate mode with bright whites and dark, dingy colors that will make movies look bad. When the GT5500 and HT2150 are calibrated to their best picture modes with good colors the way you would want to watch movies the GT5500 is no brighter than the HT2150.

3) The Epson Home Cinema 3700 is a very bright projector that can produce both bright whites and bright colors. To fill a 120" screen the front of the projector lens can be no closer to the screen than 11' 7" (3.5m), so the back of the projector will be almost 4m from the screen. Again, don't trust manufacturer contrast numbers. In the real world it has about the same native contrast as the HT2150ST.

4) Like the Optoma GT5500 the Optoma EH415ST is only very bright in its least accurate mode with bright whites and dark, dingy colors. In its most accurate mode with good colors for movies it is no brighter than the HT2150ST.

If someone gave me the choice of taking one of these 4 projectors to use with a 120" screen I would take the HT2150ST. The Epson 3700 is also very good but it's more expensive. You could save some money by getting the Epson 3100, which is still very bright.

Do you plan to have the projector sitting on a table or do you plan to mount it on the ceiling? If sitting on a table the 3700 would be so far back from the screen that I think there might not be enough space in front of your sofa.

#15 ·
thanks DAVE for the answers, i appreciatte it. very nice review of all the devices.

I dont have much space between the wall and the sofa so thats why my idea was to buy a ust device or a st device. I just want to put it in front of the wall over a table and thats it.

The size of my wall is 2,20 mts (7,21 feet) width and 1,20 mts (3,93 feet) long, what is the max size of imagen i can get there? 80¨, 90¨, 100¨, 120¨¡¡¡?¡????

sorry im asking all this questions, is because i i have only 1 oportunity to travel to USA and buy one of this devices there because here in my country are too expensives. so i want to buy something really good so i can use and keep for several years. ONE BUY IN MY LIFE !!! AJAJAJJAJA

so, the last question, about everything i told you, what should i buy ! 1300U$$ is the max i can spend.

#16 ·
Are you sure that you only have a 2.2 meter by 1.2 meter wall? That's not big enough for the 120 inch or 130 inch diagonal image you were asking about. For example a 120 inch diagonal image is 2.7 meter by 1.5 meter. If you are sure that your wall is only 2.2 meter by 1.2 meter then the largest image that will fit will have a 2.5 meter or 100 inch diagonal.

With a 100 inch diagonal you could use a UST projector like you originally wanted such as the Optoma GT5500. To make a 100 inch image the GT5500 will be 0.6 meter from your wall. :)

#17 ·
THANKS man. your opinion has been very important. i think i will go for the optoma. at 100` the quality image of both devices is the same or optoma is little better?
But if for some reason a get a bigger wall and i can make a image size of 120, do you think is better de benq 2150ST, no?

#18 ·
The BenQ HT2150ST will produce a better quality image than the GT5500 for both movies and gaming with any image size.

The only reason to choose the GT5500 is for the convenience of having it close to the wall with a 100" or smaller image.

If you think you may move to a place where you can have a screen larger than 100" then the HT2150ST would be the better choice. The HT2150ST even costs less money than the GT5500. :)

To make a 100" image the HT2150ST must be placed with the front of the projector between 1.5 and 1.8 meters from the image wall.

#21 ·
hi dave. im going to miami on friday and i will be buying my first projector. i was thinking and a have dudes beetween de benq 2150st and epson 3700 because th epson has discount and its price is 1200 U$$ and the benq 1000u$$ so what should i do? becuase of the size of my room i´d go for the benq but in the future i might move to a bigger house with a bigger room. so WHAT I DO? WHAT TO DO???? you know a lot so what would you do if you where in my position

#22 ·
The Epson 3700 is much brighter than the HT2150ST and has more features such as significant horizontal and vertical lens shift and a longer zoom lens. In almost every way it's a better projector than the HT2150ST. The biggest advantage of the HT2150ST is that it can be closer to the screen, so it's better for throwing a big image in a small room. But in a bigger room the 3700 will throw a bigger, brighter image.

As I said earlier, to make a 100" image the HT2150ST must be placed with the front of the projector between 1.5 and 1.8 meters from the image wall. With the 3700 to make a 100" image it must be placed with the front of the projector between 2.9 and 4.8 meters from the image wall. If the room you have right now where you will be using the projector doesn't allow you to have the front of the 3700 at least 2.9 meters from the screen wall then it can only make an image smaller than 100". For example, from 2.0 meters the 3700 can only make a 70" image.

#24 ·
OK, if your room is 4 meters from wall to wall and you have the back of the 3700 near the back wall the front of the projector where the lens is will be about 3.5 meters from the screen wall. So with 3.5 meters throw distance you should be able to make an image as large as 120" diagonal. That's a pretty big image for a small room, so the 3700 would be good for you. If you can get a 3700 for $200 more than an HT2150ST I think you will be happier with the 3700, which is getting very good reviews. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.