• 1 Post By Panc22

post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2017, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Projector decision help

Hi everyone,

I'm updating my home theater, actually I have an Onkyo sr 308 connected to a 5.1 polk home.
I´m using a Sony Led Tv 42w805.

I want to buy a projector and my budget is $1300.
I'll use the projector in two different room depending on the ocasion.

Regularly in a 10 ft by 10 ft room, in order to watch netflix, b-ray movies and ps4 games. I believe that the projector will be standed near the roof as a ceiling projector

on the other hand, I'll be using it in a living room (14 by 12 ft), in order to some sports or movies. Here it will be in a desktop position.

taking all that into account, I was thinking to buy any one of these projectors:

1. Epson HC 2045....699
2. Epson HC 3100....1179
3. Benq 3050.....999
4. Benq 2050st....999
5. Any other suggested projector

I'll need your help in order to take the best buying decision. I `ll prefer no to spend all my money, but if I had to I´ll do it.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll appreciate too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 852
It's important to know the screen size and the distance between the screen and the front of the projector (lens) when it is mounted on the ceiling. This will determine the throw distance, and different projectors have different throw ranges at which they can throw images of a certain size. So depending on your screen size and throw distance some of the projectors on your list may work and some may not work.

Also, projectors that do not have substantial vertical lens shift are designed to be mounted on the ceiling with the center of the lens within a few inches of the top of the screen's image area. If you can't mount in that location then you would need a projector with substantial vertical lens shift. Some of the projectors on your list have this and some don't.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2017, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's important to know the screen size and the distance between the screen and the front of the projector (lens) when it is mounted on the ceiling. This will determine the throw distance, and different projectors have different throw ranges at which they can throw images of a certain size. So depending on your screen size and throw distance some of the projectors on your list may work and some may not work.

Also, projectors that do not have substantial vertical lens shift are designed to be mounted on the ceiling with the center of the lens within a few inches of the top of the screen's image area. If you can't mount in that location then you would need a projector with substantial vertical lens shift. Some of the projectors on your list have this and some don't.
Hi!
Thank you very much for your help.
Look, I was thinking to install a 77 inch screen in the smallest room, and a 92/120 inch screen in the living room.
Both 16:9.
I blieve that in the first room the distance between the lens and the screen will be about 8,5 /9 ft and in the living room the distance will be aprox 11 ft
Does this information helps to define?

Thanks,

post #4 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are going to be moving the projector back and forth between two rooms then you probably don't want it on a permanent ceiling mount in the one room as you would have to get up on a ladder and unscrew it every time you want to move it. So you probably want to just set it upright on a high shelf where it can be more easily moved.

When mounted high near the ceiling projectors without lens shift are designed to be inverted, not sitting upright on their feet. Projectors with lens shift can sit upright on a high shelf. Also lens shift would mean you wouldn't have to place the projector in exactly the same spot when you move it back from the other room as you can fine tune the image on the screen with lens shift. So for ease of setting up each time you move it a projector with substantial lens shift makes the most sense.

The Epson 3100 is the least expensive projector with substantial horizontal and vertical lens shift. It also has a longer zoom range than the projectors on your list without lens shift. The lens shift and zoom will help it work in both of your rooms with the different throw distances and screen sizes where the other projectors you mentioned can't.

The 3100 is also a very bright projector that can be used when there is a little more ambient light in the room than the other models. It's extra brightness also makes it better for 3D if you plan to watch any 3D movies. Of course no projector will work well in full sunlight so hopefully you have some light control in both rooms with window shades, etc.

The only issue I can see is that even with its great flexibility the 3100 would not be able to throw a 120" image from 11'. The maximum image size it can throw from 11' is 110". If you wanted a 120" screen you'd need a throw of about 11' 8". Since you mentioned a range of 92"-120", hopefully 110" would be big enough for you.

Finally, 77" is a little small for a projector screen as it's smaller than an 80" flatscreen TV. With the 3100 and an 8' 6" throw you should be able to use an 84" screen if that would fit in your small room. Of course it's always best to buy the projector first without a screen and experiment with projecting on a plain painted wall to see exactly what size image you can get from where the projector is sitting. You can measure the largest image sizes you get on your two walls and then order your two screens to fit.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help!
You are the best!

Now I can see more clearly what I need to buy in order to make the best of my fun.

I'll go for EPSON 3100 and try it several times in the wall in order to choose the correct size and screen.

Hope chating again,
Francisco
Dave in Green likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If your budget is $1,300 and you're using the projector between 2 rooms, why not just buy 2 projectors? You could buy 2 LG PF1500 or 2 BenQ HT2050 projectors with that amount.
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, I 've been seeing the specs of the EPSON 3100 and I have one problem.
The dimension of the Projector is to big for me.
I 'm from Argentina and I'll have to travel with it.
Is there any other good option to buy in a smaller size?
In order to move around the device, it's a condition to have v&h lens shift?

Thank you!
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panc22 View Post
Hi, I 've been seeing the specs of the EPSON 3100 and I have one problem.
The dimension of the Projector is to big for me.
I 'm from Argentina and I'll have to travel with it.
Is there any other good option to buy in a smaller size?
In order to move around the device, it's a condition to have v&h lens shift?

Thank you!
The LG PF1500 is extremely small and portable (3.3 pounds) vs the Epson 3100 (13.6 pounds). And with the PF1500's LED technology, you won't have the increased possibility of lamp damage/breakage during travel. There's no lens shift, but it does have a built-in riser with automatic keystone correction. LCD is inferior technology in almost every way compared to LED.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All projectors with horizontal and vertical lens shift are more premium models that are larger. There are no smaller, more portable projectors with horizontal and vertical lens shift. The Epson 3100 is the smallest, least expensive projector available with horizontal and vertical lens shift.

Digital keystone correction is a poor substitute for lens shift because it will degrade the image and is not recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP