AVS Forum banner

New PJ, New Room, what to buy

1K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave in Green 
#1 ·
Hello Guys, my friend is putting together a basement HT. He has a budget set aside of $1,500 for a LCD projector. The estimate on screen size is 103"x56" , the throw can be as far as 17'. His room is dedicated and light controlled. We both will be building spandex Wht over blk screens. This room is for movies and regular TV programing.
Can we get lens memory at this price point ? He is not a videophile totally crazy about black levels, he just wants a solid pic that's easy to work with.

Thank you Thank you PJ Guru's !!!!

#3 · (Edited)
RBE........ I cant risk it. If he see's it, its too late. I see it :0/ , i dont want to, i never did, but once i did , its all i saw.......I loved DLP before i saw it, the uniformity was to die for. I will be going LCoS RS400, but he needs to keep on a budget so everything really happens.

Just a little background, i had an Optima HD (something) i did not see it. The Optima died and i got a $1K Mitz replacement and thats when it happened. Its not not a done deal on DLP, but he will be reading this wondering what the heck we are talking about LOL

#4 ·
The Epson 3000 series projectors should be what your looking for with the 3100 being a very good choice right in your price range. Has lens shift great placement flexibility, light cannon and black levels close to the entry level DLP's. If you want lens memory the Panasonic AE8000 is close to your price range a bit dated but a very well respected and solid projector. A used JVC is the only other lens memory projector even close to your budget.

#5 ·
No lens memory at the $1,500 price point unless you go used. For new LCD projectors under $1,500 the best options are the Epson 3100 or 3700. The 3700 is brighter but the 3100 is already so bright that it will easily handle the size screen you are considering and the 3100 costs $200 less than the 3700. Otherwise the two models have identical features.

Speaking of screen size, 103"x56" is an odd size. A 103" wide 16:9 screen would be 58" tall and have a diagonal of 118". The closest standard 16:9 screen size is a 120" diagonal 105" wide by 59" high. That's image area. There would also be a couple of inches of black border on each side. So if by 103"x56" you mean that's the open space available then you could only fit a 100" diagonal screen as with borders a fixed 100" diagonal screen would be 54" high and just fit within your 56" height dimension.

#6 ·
Yes, our math is a bit off, I believe we measured the opening for LCR on the screen wall opening, and the screen will have the width of 103".....

Sounds like the Epson is the way to go new. I wanted to go 2.35:1 and put the 16:9 in the center with black bars on the side using ScreenMem :0/ Oh well.. THanx a lot guys

#8 ·
The LG PF1500 still has RBE issues because it flashes multiple LEDs to create the colors. It's similar to a 6x+ color wheel, but those who are RBE sensitive can still see it on the PF1500U easily enough.

I think my only reservation in all of this is that it seems like a lot of work is going into making the space completely amazing, then the budget is going to limit the quality. The Sony HW45ES should be on the list. It's $2,000, but it does have about the best image under $3,000 out there. You shouldn't need the brightness of a Epson, which seems so much more designed for living room use than dedicated theater setup, and the Epsons really are good projectors. But, in a good room, it would bug me to death to know that those dark grey blacks could have been so much better if I spent a few hundred bucks more.

You certainly do NOT want 2.35 if all you have is 103" of width for the complete screen. Really, you have the space for a 110" screen. I'm not sure how much time and money you will put into building a screen, but this is your baseline to match or do better than:
https://www.amazon.com/STR-169110-S...spons&keywords=silver+ticket+110+screen&psc=1

It is 101" wide which fits the space perfectly.

It should be viewed from about 10 to 12 feet away by most current standards.

#9 ·
You certainly do NOT want 2.35 if all you have is 103" of width for the complete screen.
I’m always a bit conflicted also about scope screens in a room like this also. His desire is TV and Movies and 50% of the movies will be in scope. Of those 50% they are all the blockbusters that should be enjoyed more immersive than anything else. 103” wide screen is not tiny if he has a limited number of seats across and is willing to sit at a CIH distance. I personally would still look for a 16:9 screen DIY or other as then you would have Imax for any content you wanted to watch immersive.

It is kind of what I do and I have 4 seat wide single row seating.

Otherwise we are really just suggesting a huge TV like presentation method.

#12 ·
So is this for your friend with 103" or you with 106"?

#15 ·
Im sorry for including my width, his width is 103"

Good to know there's no vertical height limit as that would make a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen work where it wouldn't have with a 56" height limit.

Reality check: If you go with the biggest 2:35 screen that will fit in that 103" width your image height is going to be just 41". A 16:9 image centered on that screen is going to have an 84" diagonal, which is close to the smallest 16:9 projection screen size available and only a few inches bigger than those 80" TVs you see on display in the big box stores.

I second AV_Integrated's suggestion to consider the Sony HW45ES as with that small a screen you really don't need all the lumens the Epson 3000 series produce and the Sony has the best native black levels of any projector under $2,000.
A budget is a budget, $1,500 was a stretch. I will pass this along and he will also be reading along as he is not a member yet, once he becomes a member and drinks the grape juice, im done ! LOL

I would have you look over my PIA presentation method then. It sounds like we view presentation the same way.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...-perfect-image-area-sub-sets-cih-ciw-cia.html
Yes, i agree. I have to stop derailing his thread for now. Thanx for your interest

#13 ·
Good to know there's no vertical height limit as that would make a 110" diagonal 16:9 screen work where it wouldn't have with a 56" height limit.

Reality check: If you go with the biggest 2:35 screen that will fit in that 103" width your image height is going to be just 41". A 16:9 image centered on that screen is going to have an 84" diagonal, which is close to the smallest 16:9 projection screen size available and only a few inches bigger than those 80" TVs you see on display in the big box stores.

I second AV_Integrated's suggestion to consider the Sony HW45ES as with that small a screen you really don't need all the lumens the Epson 3000 series produce and the Sony has the best native black levels of any projector under $2,000.

#16 ·
If $1,500 is already a stretch then the Epson 3100 is the way to go as its current street price is $300 less than the 3700 (which is brighter than needed for this application) from at least one reputable vendor. As already mentioned, the 3100 is a light cannon compared with the Sony HW45ES and will produce more of a bright LCD TV-like image than a traditionally darker cinema-like image.

With DLP out of the picture, Epson is about the only game in town for LCD $1,500. The 3100 is a solid upgrade in every way over the

#17 ·
"He just wants a solid pic that's easy to work with." Sounds like a native 16:9 projector (Epson HC3100 or BenQ HT2050) and a 16:9 screen for a beginner, or up the budget/equipment and get exactly the same size scope that your friend would get with a scope screen and 103" of width.

Good luck since friends never do exactly what we know is best for them. :mad:

#30 ·
Good luck since friends never do exactly what we know is best for them. :mad:

I want him to be educated so he can make his own choice and own it like we all did, and do. everything in time......

#18 ·
No need to check here and there so many times and confuse ourselves on what to choose from numerous suggestions. Do not put me wrong. All posed suggestions are trustworthy, but too many cooks spoiled the soup. My humble suggestion is to view all recommendations closely. Choose the points that suit your viewing room situations. Then choose one of the hottest projectors at your budget. Brand of SONY, EPSON and PANASONIC are the top three projector manufacturers to choose from. To make you easier to choose, check the top list of purchase on this website. You will not regret to just blind choose of those Edditor's or highly recommended projectors from the listing. e.g. PANASONIC AE8000; SONY 45ES or EPSON 5040 - depending how much you have in pocket to spend. If you have more money to spend, go for the JVC for best black and contrast, but ensure you can control the room light and the light from outside. If not, it is waste of money to buy the JVC for its best black and contrast.

#20 ·
His friend's budget was a max of $1500 and while the Panasonic AE8000 is great for around $1600, the $402 replacement lamp cost isn't.

#22 ·
My buddy is gonna sign up and chime in here and there. If i can speak for him, at this time he's weighing up the 2.35:1 and having a small footprint 16:9, or just going with a big 16:9 and black bar the top and bottom.

It shows he's starting to understand the trade offs, and weighing up what he will be watching......

This stuff is all new to him and once the Pj has been selected we are off to the receivers to weigh in on the Marantz SR7010 and equal 9.1.4 models

Kg

#23 ·
#26 ·
Simple solution DIY screen plus DIY masking panels for the top and bottom. :)

Hello Guys, This thread was posted by KG Veteran on my behalf so all this talk is in regards to a HT installation I am doing. I am new so be easy with me.
I have been learning, there is a lot to take in. I am very interested in knowing what masking panels are and if they assist in watching a movie in a 2.35:1 format cinema scope on a screen set up for 19:9. I am struggling on the projector and screen set up after haring the discussion. I originally was going for a 16:9 screen format but will be watching movies in 2.35:1 format and want this experience to be good. I am leaning to the 16:9 screen sizing thinking the bars on top and bottom when watching cinema scope movies will not be bad. Also, the Epson 3100 seems to be in the running for a projector, I really want lens memory and wonder after reading the specs on this unit if it has lens memory, I cant seem to tell. If it does not, what would be an good entry level projector with lens memory?

Thank you

#25 ·
My guess will be the 3100, it will give him a big bright 16:9, that will be very dramatic, and 2.35 with black bars will be fine, secon, budget...... Its dead on ! Time will tell

#27 · (Edited)
The Epson 3100 doesn't, but I believe the closest to your budget would be the Panasonic AE8000 which can often be found for under $1700, but the replacement lamp runs $402. http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000U/Projector/27643

The masking is two panels that you make to place above and below the image to take care of the grey/black over-spill of light coming from a native 16:9 projector. You can see the over-spill on my white screen in the top photo and with the masking the light area would be dark. The better the projector the less the effect and my pj is near the bottom on contrast with the Epson 3100 and the Panasonic being several levels up compared to mine.

Attachments

#34 ·
The Epson 3100 doesn't, but I believe the closest to your budget would be the Panasonic AE8000 which can often be found for under $1700, but the replacement lamp runs $402.

The masking is two panels that you make to place above and below the image to take care of the grey/black over-spill of light coming from a native 16:9 projector. You can see the over-spill on my white screen in the top photo and with the masking the light area would be dark. The better the projector the less the effect and my pj is near the bottom on contrast with the Epson 3100 and the Panasonic being several levels up compared to mine.
Thank you for the information on masking, if I go with a standard 16:9 formatted screen and use masking for the top and bottom when watching movies formatted in 2.35:1, does the masking work well, do you find that it helps? is it like changing the screen size to make the correct screen size? If so, this will work for me. Also, what do you use, what type of material?

Thank you, you have been very helpful and I appreciate your input which is no doubt based on advanced experience.

#28 ·
Just another example of over-spill with 1959's Ben Hur which has an aspect ratio of 2.76:1 vs the "standard" today. The projector is still putting out light as if it is a 16:9 image and the lower the contrast/black level the brighter the bars.

Masking would require you to use magnets or velcro to put it up and take it down.

Attachments

#29 ·
One of the issues with the Panasonic AE8000 is that it's now a 5-year-old design that hasn't been updated because Panasonic has slowly been pulling back from the home theater projector market and focusing more on the business projector market. While it's a good projector that many like for its lens memory, it's going to continue to age compared with more recent models. From what I can see the lowest street price from a trustworthy vendor is $1,699.

There's much to learn for those new to front projection. The basics alone often confuse projection newbies. Having a first time projection setup that properly leverages lens memory is the equivalent of an advanced course in front projection. Trying to absorb advanced lessons before fully understanding all the basics can lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

One key point to understand up front is that there is no perfect projector and no perfect front projection setup that does everything well. Front projection is all about compromises. You need to fully think through which areas are most important to you and which compromises you can most easily tolerate. Along the way various individuals will jump in and say that their setup is the best. What they mean is that it's best for their preferences. But since we're all different with different preferences what works for someone else may not work for us.

Bottom line is to do lots of reading and lots of thinking about the pros and cons of every projector model and every screen setup before spending a single dollar. And understand up front that whatever you end up with will be a compromise of some kind. :)

#33 ·
Thanks for all the great information, head is spinning, have been away from the computer, working on basement HT. I realize I will need to compromise and there is no perfect set up. I am thinking that a standard 16:9 screen is the way for me and that I will be able to deal with the black borders top and bottom for the blockbuster new release movies in 2.35:1 cinema scope. Is this a good compromise? Also, is buying a used projector a bad idea to get into better technology like lens memory?

#39 ·
I have no experience with acoustic screens and have seen no professional reviews of the Silver Ticket acoustic screens. The Silver Ticket standard matte white and matte grey screens are highly reviewed as great values. If you decide to do a DIY acoustic screen you may want to discuss in the DIY Screen Section.

As for seating distance vs. screen size, most people prefer viewing at a distance of from 2X-3X screen image height. So, for example, a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen has an image area size about 58" tall. That equates to a 116"-174" viewing distance or about 10'-14.5'. Typical viewing distance would be about 12' with some preferring closer and some further away.

It's always best to experiment if possible. So if you can hold off on fixing any seating in place until you have a chance to view a few movies from different viewing distances you can zero in on exactly what seating distance works best for you.

I think you should try to read the professional reviews of both the Epson 3100 and Panasonic AE8000U as you will get much more detailed information about each model's pros and cons than you will get here. Just Google Epson 3100 review and Panasonic AE8000U review. There are different pros and cons for each so you will have to pick which compromise works best for you. If after reading the pro reviews you have specific questions you will be able to get additional opinions here. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.