Just bought the BenQ HT3050 - I have a few questions. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 2 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By kreeturez
  • 1 Post By looloo86

post #1 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just bought the BenQ HT3050 - I have a few questions.

So I decided on the BenQ HT3050 as my first projector. I'm pretty happy with the picture quality but I have few questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. This project runs really hot at the vents on the side. Not sure if that's normal for projectors, but it's REALLY hot. It's like turning on a stove and you can probably cook an egg on it. I'm also scared it might overheat and crash.

2. According to this review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor-review.htm, only the HT3050 is supposed to have the option of a wireless module. The BenQ WDP01 is the wireless module, right? But that is compatible with the HT2050 as well, so is there another type of wireless module that is exclusive to the HT3050 as mentioned in the review?

3. I tried connecting my laptop with an HDMI cable and it works for a bit, but it would occasionally lose signal. I find that if I push the HDMI cable slightly upwards and hold it there the signal will stay, but once I let go and the HDMI cable droops down a bit, the signal is lost. Is this a problem with the port on the projector or the HDMI cable being too heavy?

If I can get this projector to run cooler and connect to my laptop correctly then that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
If you have no projector experience there's no way of knowing if your understanding of "too hot" is really too hot for a projector. Have you ever tried to touch a 100W incandescent light bulb and burned the heck out of your finger? The lamp in your HT3050 is much smaller but producing 240W of heat. It's a mini furnace. But you really have nothing to worry about as all projectors have built-in safety mechanisms to automatically shut down the projector if internal heat reaches a dangerous level.

The HT2050 and HT3050 use the same BenQ wireless module.

HDMI cable plugs don't always match up exactly with all HDMI ports. It's possible that the size of the BenQ's HDMI port is too deep or not big enough to allow the HDMI plug on your cable to be fully seated unless you're pushing on it. Some people with this condition have trimmed some excess plastic from the cable's plug so that it pushes deeper into the port.
kreeturez likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Now that you mention it, I guess it is similar to touching a light bulb. But yeah, now you know what I mean. It does get pretty hot, to the point where it can burn you. I just didn't expect the case of the projector to get that hot as well. Usually the outside case doesn't get that hot for electronics. Did they remove extra fans to make it more quiet. But like you said, I shouldn't worry about it unless it shuts down or until I forget how hot it is and burn myself lol. Will ECO mode make it run cooler?

Regarding the wireless module, I guess most reviews got it wrong then, right? Because they mentioned that the wireless module is only for the HT3050 and not the HT2050. And that is one of the reasons why I thought the HT3050 was a bit more expensive.

That's very interesting, I never noticed that some HDMI plugs could be longer. How do I find one that is longer? If I search for something like "longer HDMI plug" the only thing that comes up is a longer cable, not the plug itself.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by looloo86 View Post
Will ECO mode make it run cooler?
Yes, but the picture brightness will be significantly lower.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Well, the last thing is the HDMI. Is my only option to cut the plastic around the HDMI plug? Is it possible to buy an HDMI cable with a longer connector plug anywhere? So far I can't find anything.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
How long is the HDMI cable? Are you just running it computer to projector?

I would get a lightweight cable if you are just hanging it. If not, then the cable should be properly supported if it is a heavy cable.

Redmere cables from Monoprice are a great solution for lightweight HDMI cables for temporary use (not installed behind drywall). Anything permanently installed should be properly supported at the projector end.

The older BenQ W1070 had many issues with the socket being ever so slightly deeper than spec and cables having issues. My personal one certainly does have this issue. So, it's not completely uncommon, but there are solutions. Certainly using a heavier HDMI cable is not the way to go, and that really applies to all electronics and HDMI cables these days.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For HDMI plug fit issues, try reading this thread:

Sony VPL-HW45ES: recessed HDMI ports
post #8 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
How long is the HDMI cable? Are you just running it computer to projector?
The HDMI cable is about 4ft long and it's just running from my laptop to the projector. It's not a big cable at all. But you're saying to get something lighter, like a 2-3ft cable?
post #9 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your HDMI issue has not been fully diagnosed. Everyone is trying to help point out what the issue might be, but we can't know for sure based on the data provided.

The HDMI plug should fit snugly all the way into the socket. We have no way of knowing whether or not this is happening other than what you tell us.

There should be no added stress placed on the HDMI plug and socket from a heavy cable hanging down or being stretched. We have no way of knowing whether or not this is happening unless you tell us.

You could have a very cheap HDMI cable with an out-of-spec metal male connector that's loose in the metal female socket. Did I mention the only way we can know this is if you carefully examine the fit and let us know?

There are multiple possibile causes for the issue and your focus should be on checking them all and determining which is the most likely culprit. Once the exact cause is know, the solution should be rather simple.
Marc Yu and kreeturez like this.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I understand, and as I have mentioned in my very first post, I need to push the HDMI cable slightly upwards to maintain the signal. Once I release the cable, the cable is slightly drooped and loses its connection.

But as @AV_Integrated mentioned, it's most likely that the cable is too heavy.

So to reiterate, yes it fits snugly into the port, but it doesn't receive a signal until I push the plug slightly upwards. And it will lose the signal once I let go.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Just bought the BenQ HT3050 - I have a few questions.

Definitely try out another cable. There haven't been reports of HDMI-port issues on these models (and as AV says, the newer HT2050/HT3050 has a less recessed, more typical HDMI housing than the old W1070).

For cooling, you could run in High Altitude Mode if you want, which cools the projector aggressively at the expense of lots of fan noise (all 4 fans fire at full blast).

But then you sacrifice the relatively quiet operation of these units (which is one of their strengths) for no good reason :-)

If the unit isn't shutting itself down, you've got nothing to worry about: lamp-based projectors do indeed normally run hot.
Marc Yu likes this.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #12 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I guess it is similar to touching a light bulb. But yeah, now you know what I mean. It does get pretty hot, to the point where it can burn you. I just didn't expect the case of the projector to get that hot as well. Usually the outside case doesn't get that hot for electronics. Did they remove extra fans to make it more quiet. But like you said, I shouldn't worry about it unless it shuts down or until I forget how hot it is and burn myself lol. Will ECO mode make it run cooler?

Regarding the wireless module, I guess most reviews got it wrong then, right? Because they mentioned that the wireless module is only for the HT3050 and not the HT2050. And that is one of the reasons why I thought the HT3050 was a bit more expensive.

That's very interesting, I never noticed that some HDMI plugs could be longer. How do I find one that is longer? If I search for something like "longer HDMI plug" the only thing that comes up is a longer cable, not the plug itself.
I think that the wireless module can be mounted inside of the projector and make use of an extra(internal) hdmi connector that's on the 3050 and not the 2050.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Properly designed and matching HDMI male/female connections should not lose contact from just the weight of the cable pulling it down. Due to the presence of gravity almost every one of the billions of HDMI plugs and sockets currently being used around the globe has some cable weight pulling down on the connection with no issues. If this was a common issue we would be reading about it multiple times every day on this forum. In reality only a few such instances have been reported on this and other AV forums. It's more than just the weight of the cable.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Properly designed and matching HDMI male/female connections should not lose contact from just the weight of the cable pulling it down. Due to the presence of gravity almost every one of the billions of HDMI plugs and sockets currently being used around the globe has some cable weight pulling down on the connection with no issues. If this was a common issue we would be reading about it multiple times every day on this forum. In reality only a few such instances have been reported on this and other AV forums. It's more than just the weight of the cable.
I just tried another HDMI cable and everything works fine now. I no longer have to push the plug upwards for it to maintain the signal. I guess it was the weight of the cable because it no longer droops down...
Marc Yu likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or the male plug on the second cable is closer to HDMI spec and fits more firmly in the socket.

Whatever it was, trying a different cable often corrects HDMI issues.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Every owner of BenQ projectors should be using SmartEco exclusively, 100% of the time, IMO.

SmartEco is a performance enhancing feature, it's similar to a DI but perfectly quiet, and enhances the dynamic contrast ratio significantly while also extending the bulb lifespan for various reasons. On a full white screen you will have the same lumens as in Normal, but on a full black you will use 30% of the lamp and thus have much better black levels. And everything in between, you get the picture.

Activate it and leave it on. Maybe use Normal mode for 3D only.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ's SmartEco includes TI's Dynamic Black feature for DLP that dims the lamp in darker scenes, aka a poor man's dynamic iris. Anyone who does not like the effect of a dynamic iris or dynamic lamp dimming may not like using SmartEco. Everyone should try it and see how it works for them, but not everyone is going to want to use it.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Every owner of BenQ projectors should be using SmartEco exclusively, 100% of the time, IMO.

SmartEco is a performance enhancing feature, it's similar to a DI but perfectly quiet, and enhances the dynamic contrast ratio significantly while also extending the bulb lifespan for various reasons. On a full white screen you will have the same lumens as in Normal, but on a full black you will use 30% of the lamp and thus have much better black levels. And everything in between, you get the picture.

Activate it and leave it on. Maybe use Normal mode for 3D only.

That's nonsense. SmartECO is a fantastic feature and the best implementation of lamp dimming I've yet seen but any assertion that it should be used exclusively no matter the application is absurd. I run the projector in Eco 90% of the time as I do most of my viewing in a completely dark room with a modest amount of light control. My screen is 100", white, and the BenQ is so bright that even in Eco it can be a little overpowering depending on the scene. SmartEco is simply too bright in my application. Now, when watching a 3D movie or with some ambient light, sure, I'll pop it in SmartECO for the added lumens. I could also see this being a great feature for people who don't have any shred of light control or who might be viewing on a larger screen or a grey screen.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Is it really nonsense to activate such a good feature for image quality?

At the start of a fresh lamp, yes, these can be super bright for smaller screens, but that's when you use an ND2 filter that costs five dollars, AND use SmartEco. Best of both worlds. Then when the lamp dims or you are watching in 3D, remove the ND2.

There is no case where I wouldn't use SmartEco. The dynamic contrast and black level really suffers a lot if you're not using it. And SmartEco can actually go dimmer than Eco if I remember correctly.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Is it really nonsense to activate such a good feature for image quality?

At the start of a fresh lamp, yes, these can be super bright for smaller screens, but that's when you use an ND2 filter that costs five dollars, AND use SmartEco. Best of both worlds. Then when the lamp dims or you are watching in 3D, remove the ND2.

There is no case where I wouldn't use SmartEco. The dynamic contrast and black level really suffers a lot if you're not using it. And SmartEco can actually go dimmer than Eco if I remember correctly.
I never use the economy feature on my projector (LG PF1500). The picture is so much brighter in standard. Plus, it's an LED light source so the number of hours I get from it is the same whether it's in economy or standard - 30,000 hours. Of course, the louder fan noise is bothersome, but with the sound up, I almost never even notice it.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 PM

SmartEco is not the same as Economy mode, at all. SmartEco is like a software dynamic iris. Ask people in the 20,000+ $ subforum how important a DI is to image quality. To many, it's a must-have feature. And not to extend lamp lifespan either, it's to improve dynamic contrast ratios so that you're trading off peak light output for better blacks on a frame-by-frame basis based on the content being shown.

SmartEco != Eco.

When SmartEco is turned off on my w1070 the image looks dull and flat in comparison. Not using it is a facepalm-worthy mistake, IMO.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
So I decided on the BenQ HT3050 as my first projector. I'm pretty happy with the picture quality but I have few questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. This project runs really hot at the vents on the side. Not sure if that's normal for projectors, but it's REALLY hot. It's like turning on a stove and you can probably cook an egg on it. I'm also scared it might overheat and crash.

2. According to this review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor-review.htm, only the HT3050 is supposed to have the option of a wireless module. The BenQ WDP01 is the wireless module, right? But that is compatible with the HT2050 as well, so is there another type of wireless module that is exclusive to the HT3050 as mentioned in the review?

3. I tried connecting my laptop with an HDMI cable and it works for a bit, but it would occasionally lose signal. I find that if I push the HDMI cable slightly upwards and hold it there the signal will stay, but once I let go and the HDMI cable droops down a bit, the signal is lost. Is this a problem with the port on the projector or the HDMI cable being too heavy?

If I can get this projector to run cooler and connect to my laptop correctly then that would be great.
That doesn't sound too good, I would get that checked out personally.

XGIMI H1 (SmartProj) - Swan M200MkIII (Speakers) - Bluedio UFO Plus (BassHead) - Sony MDR CD3000 (UnicornHead)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Just kicking butt everyday :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , HT3050 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page