Using the BenQ HT3050 at a 45 degree angle - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-10-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Using the BenQ HT3050 at a 45 degree angle

One of the reasons why I bought the HT3050 was because the BenQ website stated that it would allow me to put the projector at an angle and then keystone the image to make it rectangular. That does work, but however, nobody told me about the extra light being projected around the keystoned image. I hope you guys know what I mean. Placing the projector at an angle causes the projected "light" to be trapezoid, and then we can keystone the "image" to be rectangular. So what that gives us is a rectangular keystoned image from my laptop, with a crazy trapezoid overflow of light around the rectangle..

I'm guessing this is normal because there is no way to keystone the projected light, only the image itself. But is there a way to dim the light around the keystoned rectangle image? Or would I just be happier finding a way to place it perpendicular to the wall?

I'm also guessing that if this projector had Horizontal Lens Shift, this wouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 858
First of all it clearly states in the HT3050's specifications that horizontal digital keystone correction is limited to +/- 30 degrees, which is 15 degrees short of 45 degrees.

Second, digital keystone correction degrades the image by lowering resolution and the more keystone correction used the lower the resolution. So even if you had 45 degrees of correction it would reduce your 1920x1080 pixel resolution to about half that or 960x540. It would make no sense to pay $1,000 for a projector that produces a great 1080p image and cut image resolution in half by using a ridiculous amount of digital keystone correction.

If you want to enjoy the full benefits of your HT3050 you really need to find a way to mount it in its optimum position with the lens centered horizontally on the screen. If sitting low on a table the center of the lens needs to be even with a point a few inches under the bottom of the screen image. If mounted high and inverted from the ceiling the center of the lens needs to be even with a point a few inches above the top of the screen image. Any mounting location other than that will require digital keystone correction and reduction in image resolution.
post #3 of 14 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 108
A projector with horizontal lens shift would be the way to go in your situation. The entry level BenQ projectors require precise projector placement to avoid keystone correction, which should be avoided if possible.

Is there any way you can mount to the ceiling or from a wall at the back of the room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10

post #4 of 14 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

45 or 30 degree doesn't matter to me. I can easily shift it to 30 degree if that was the issue.

Actually, the problem I am having right now is not with the keystone. That works great. I was able to keystone it and get a rectangular image and the picture quality is not bad at all.

As mentioned, the issue I am having is the extra overflow of light around the rectangular image. Imagine watching a movie, a perfect rectangle. But around this movie is a big trapezoid of extra light. It is most noticeable during darker scenes.

I'm guessing there's no way to make the projected light rectangular, only the image of the movie.
post #5 of 14 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by looloo86 View Post
45 or 30 degree doesn't matter to me. I can easily shift it to 30 degree if that was the issue.

Actually, the problem I am having right now is not with the keystone. That works great. I was able to keystone it and get a rectangular image and the picture quality is not bad at all.

As mentioned, the issue I am having is the extra overflow of light around the rectangular image. Imagine watching a movie, a perfect rectangle. But around this movie is a big trapezoid of extra light. It is most noticeable during darker scenes.

I'm guessing there's no way to make the projected light rectangular, only the image of the movie.
Correct and if the light is bothering you then you need a mask of black velvet around the image to absorb that light. Or mount it properly and get a better overall image and no over spill.

Bud
post #6 of 14 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Correct and if the light is bothering you then you need a mask of black velvet around the image to absorb that light. Or mount it properly and get a better overall image and no over spill.
Do you mean to literally get a black cloth and place it over the projector to block off the extra light? That makes sense but just seems like it's getting to a point where it doesn't seem worth it. I mean, one of the reason why I got the HT3050 over the HT2050 is because of the Horizontal Keystone. But now I find out that using the Horizontal Keystone gives me a very distracting trapezoid over spill of light. It feels like the HT3050 is the same as the HT2050 if I have to put the projector perfectly perpendicular to the wall and not use Horizontal Keystone. So what exactly was that extra $200 for, if the extra features on the HT3050 like the Horizontal Keystone is better off unused? lol
post #7 of 14 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The extra $200 for the HT3050 over the HT2050 is primarily for the fact that the HT3050 is calibrated on the BenQ assembly line and the HT2050 is not. A professional projector calibration typically costs more than $200. After calibration the HT3050 will produce more accurate color balance.

But if you think the image is not bad at all when using extensive digital keystone correction then you probably wasted a lot of money on the HT3050 as the image is being degraded to the level of a cheaper projector. There's really no reason to spend extra money on a projector that creates a great image when properly set up if you are satisfied with an image that's just not bad.
post #8 of 14 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 108
If you project at an angle then any projector you buy will display a trapezoid shaped image. The only way to get the image to be a perfect rectangle is to have the projector perpendicular to the screen surface. If you get a projector with lens shift you still have the projector perpendicular, but you are able to shift the image to hit the screen. Different projectors are designed for different setups, you have to choose the right one for your room or attempt to setup the one you have correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #9 of 14 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
But if you think the image is not bad at all when using extensive digital keystone correction then you probably wasted a lot of money on the HT3050 as the image is being degraded to the level of a cheaper projector. There's really no reason to spend extra money on a projector that creates a great image when properly set up if you are satisfied with an image that's just not bad.
Well, I didn't say that I didn't notice a difference. The image quality is definitely better when it's perpendicular to the wall. I was just satisfied with the image quality considering the fact that the projector was placed at an angle, something that the HT2050 can't do.
post #10 of 14 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Going back to your original question, I think you will be happier finding a way to place the projector perpendicular to the wall as it's optimally designed to be. That will eliminate the negative side effects of both trapezoid halo and image degradation. Then you will be getting the full $1,000 value you paid when you selected the HT3050 in the first place. The 30 degree horizontal keystone correction is a cheap gimmick that doesn't belong on a quality home video projector like the HT3050.
post #11 of 14 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I was hoping there would be a fix for the over spill of light because I already knew that placing the projector perpendicular would be the best option. They show you this beautiful animation showing the ability to put it at angles: http://benqimage.blob.core.windows.n...1442919583.gif, but they don't tell you about the crazy trapezoid light wrapped around the image lol

Anyway, if there is nothing else to try or any known fixes, I will probably figure out a way to put it perpendicular. I guess I can try the black cloth method that @bud16415 mentioned.
post #12 of 14 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The black border will mask the trapezoid halo but will do nothing for the image quality lost to digital keystone correction. Placing the projector at an extreme angle seems to be really important to you to sacrifice image quality for that odd placement. Over the years I can think of only a tiny number of posters who had such an odd setup that they couldn't center the projector horizontally on the screen as all projectors are optimized for.
post #13 of 14 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

It's not odd, it's just that some people have smaller rooms. Putting the projector perpendicular would mean having the projector right over my head. Which means, louder fan noise and extreme heat right against my head.

So with the smaller room, putting it at an angle doesn't degrade it by that much, like I said before, the image quality is still very good because it's not that far away.

So it's just a shame that there's such a huge trapezoid of light spilled around the image. Otherwise everything is fine.

If the black cloth is my only option, then I guess I'll have to find a way to change my setup. Unless the black cloth method is common and a lot of people do it to combat this problem? Personally I haven't seen any pictures of people doing this. Sigh...
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Almost all commercial screens have a black boarder around them. people use black velvet masking panels all the time to cover the top and bottom of the screen when showing scope movies. The masking is at the screen not the projector.

If the image looks good enough to you and you want the projector to the side then masking is the only thing to do.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP